Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Global Poker The social poker site where you can play for free and win sweepstakes prizes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #1676
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzT4M4Y0theGOAT View Post
Any plans to develop fast fold poker?

Please provide details of upcoming software projects
So far they have not chased that idea due to player pool size.
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #1677
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damani311 View Post
They actually did get ahold of me, just about 8 hours after it happened and issued a credit to my account based on the stack sizes at time of DC.

Good news, and I'll keep playing on your site as well thanks guys!
I am glad to hear they took care of you.
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #1678
whirledpeas
newbie
 
whirledpeas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 39
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Long time online/live player. Currently play online ACR (played Stars, FT, Party too). Played on Global for a month or so and I think its great that I can play online again. The PLO players are mostly horrible which should be good for profitability but they're crushing me because I'm so unused to their style of play. Or maybe I'm just terrible who knows.

A couple points:

* They need raise the buy in minimums (10BB extreme short stacking should not be allowed).
* For cashouts, they are exposing all of us to identity theft by asking us to simply email copies of our IDs and utility bills. They need to have a secure upload or otherwise secure method to transmit this information.

* Finally, I know a lot about sweepstakes laws and I can tell you there is NO WAY this site is legal in any US state. AMOE players do not have the same chance to win as paid players. I have used the AMOE (free entry) and they give you $6/week. An AMOE player is required to have "equal dignity" with a paid player and all entrants must have an equal chance of winning the same prizes. There is no way they can make that argument when people are loading hundreds of dollars at will and playing 10/20 NL - while the AMOE player would be able to accumulate at most $25/month. Also asking people to submit an AMOE every week is not legal (monthly is not considered burdensome).

Another problem is that the proportion of people who pay to use the site must not represent an overwhelming majority of players. I imagine most players are paying. The sham of "buying" gold coins and "oh by the way" getting $20 in cash will not fly if a regulator ever looks at this (pull-tab and phone-card schemes have always been deemed illegal).

TL;DR:

* enjoy being able to play soft online PLO games with (no?) rake
* like anything that gets more rec players involved in poker b/c i truly love the game
* is definitely not legal under any state sweepstakes law
* expect to see it shut down by Facebook/Paypal/State AG once anyone really looks at it
whirledpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #1679
MCAChiTown
veteran
 
MCAChiTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: They All Float Down Here
Posts: 3,372
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

You don't think the site, and especially Paypal, did their legal do diligence examining the laws before moving forward? I find that very hard to believe with so much money involved. I wouldn't worry about it, and as always, you should only keep an amount of funds on a site that wouldn't be detrimental to you if you were to lose it.
MCAChiTown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #1680
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAChiTown View Post
You don't think the site, and especially Paypal, did their legal do diligence examining the laws before moving forward? I find that very hard to believe with so much money involved. I wouldn't worry about it, and as always, you should only keep an amount of funds on a site that wouldn't be detrimental to you if you were to lose it.
+1, I have been saying this time and time again. Don't keep a roll on any site that will break you. I think 2010 should have taught us all this lesson. And not because I am worried about the gov shutting this down, but I am concerned that ANYTHING could happen. This is how you should manage your money in all aspects. Don't leave life changing money in investments that are risky.

One other thing, those of you who "know" this isn't legal and it "will" get shut down should do some googling. Look into a company called Chumba Casino. They actually have been around for longer than Global now... have the word CASINO in their name, and use the $weeps Cash model. They cash you out through PayPal and you play slots on their website.

Slots... btw, is gambling no skills required. Yet this site lives on. I would think this would be the canary in the mine. Surely the gov and PayPal would hit the Casino first... like the thing that is named CASINO.

Two points to the first person to guess who owns Chumba Casino....

Spoiler:
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #1681
MCAChiTown
veteran
 
MCAChiTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: They All Float Down Here
Posts: 3,372
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

*due diligence
MCAChiTown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #1682
whirledpeas
newbie
 
whirledpeas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 39
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Paypal does not do extensive due diligence on each of the thousands of new accounts that register every day. The default is to create a new account and only revisit that if there is a reason to. Given that PayPal is violating the UIGEA and all sorts of state and federal anti-gambling laws with each transaction and their liability growing by the day I can guarantee you someone will take notice at some point. And I'd be happy to bet anyone through an escrow site $100 that this will happen just PM me to arrange.

For gods sake people are just buying into cash poker games with Paypal from a company that is completely unregulated and has no gaming licences. Do you really think that in 8 years no one noticed this gaping loophole in the UIGEA and state and federal laws? That offering poker games with worthless gold coins solves the problem? That all Stars had to do to preserve $5B in market value was to make a few tweaks? Stop dreaming.

Like I said I wish it were true - I love playing super convenient online poker just like in 2009 - but if you think this is permitted you don't know the law.
whirledpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #1683
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas View Post
Paypal does not do extensive due diligence on each of the thousands of new accounts that register every day. The default is to create a new account and only revisit that if there is a reason to. Given that PayPal is violating the UIGEA and all sorts of state and federal anti-gambling laws with each transaction and their liability growing by the day I can guarantee you someone will take notice at some point. And I'd be happy to bet anyone through an escrow site $100 that this will happen just PM me to arrange.

For gods sake people are just buying into cash poker games with Paypal from a company that is completely unregulated and has no gaming licences. Do you really think that in 8 years no one noticed this gaping loophole in the UIGEA and state and federal laws? That offering poker games with worthless gold coins solves the problem? That all Stars had to do to preserve $5B in market value was to make a few tweaks? Stop dreaming.

Like I said I wish it were true - I love playing super convenient online poker just like in 2009 - but if you think this is permitted you don't know the law.
Terms.
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #1684
OilSpill
grinder
 
OilSpill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 553
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Why are avatars not showing up anymore? Im using chrome on an HP computer/iPhone. I don't see avatars for myself or anyone else when single or multi tabling. Just wondering..
OilSpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #1685
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilSpill View Post
Why are avatars not showing up anymore? Im using chrome on an HP computer/iPhone. I don't see avatars for myself or anyone else when single or multi tabling. Just wondering..
There is a setting if you want to turn them off. I wonder if your setting is enabled.

Click the gear icon at the top left when you are the lobby screen. Then click the 4th tab "Avatars" Then check to make sure it is set to On.
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #1686
balvey
centurion
 
balvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 158
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Is there any where to go check past tournament results?
balvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #1687
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by balvey View Post
Is there any where to go check past tournament results?
+1 to this idea. It will sometimes show tourneys that you were in for a few days, but that is all the history I have seen.
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #1688
jriiikk
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 347
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

I enjoy playing on this site and hope they had many lawyers do the due diligence to make sure that you will be around for years.

My suggestion is to please stop bunching big tournaments right up against each other. There is maybe a 3 hour span where they are all bunched together. On weekends the Gold coin challenge tournaments all start within 2 hours of each other. What casual player wants to play 4 tournaments at the same time? Most other times of the day are little rinky dink tournaments. Maybe add 1 or 2 real deepstacks? Nothing wrong with starting earlier and maybe have a 30 min late registration? Or maybe just spread them out just a bit. Please.
jriiikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #1689
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriiikk View Post
I enjoy playing on this site and hope they had many lawyers do the due diligence to make sure that you will be around for years.

My suggestion is to please stop bunching big tournaments right up against each other. There is maybe a 3 hour span where they are all bunched together. On weekends the Gold coin challenge tournaments all start within 2 hours of each other. What casual player wants to play 4 tournaments at the same time? Most other times of the day are little rinky dink tournaments. Maybe add 1 or 2 real deepstacks? Nothing wrong with starting earlier and maybe have a 30 min late registration? Or maybe just spread them out just a bit. Please.
I don't think it would be a bad idea to spread out the tourneys a little, but for me a big -1 on late reg.
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #1690
Duke0424
self-banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Desert
Posts: 13,365
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

when you sit out of a cash game and click "sit in", is there really no way for you to wait for the BB? they force you to post? it seems like if you dont click sit in after some number of hands they boot you. so you either have to post or get booted?
Duke0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #1691
OilSpill
grinder
 
OilSpill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 553
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by splayaa View Post
There is a setting if you want to turn them off. I wonder if your setting is enabled.

Click the gear icon at the top left when you are the lobby screen. Then click the 4th tab "Avatars" Then check to make sure it is set to On.

That solved it. Thanks!
OilSpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #1692
SanchoHH
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 533
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas View Post
Paypal does not do extensive due diligence on each of the thousands of new accounts that register every day. The default is to create a new account and only revisit that if there is a reason to.
That's definitely not true for merchant accounts. There is significant due diligence before opening the account, including review of the business model etc.

I'm not saying that Paypal are definitely right in their assessment or that they can never change their mind; just saying that there is a significant difference between opening a merchant account and a personal account.
SanchoHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #1693
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoHH View Post
That's definitely not true for merchant accounts. There is significant due diligence before opening the account, including review of the business model etc.

I'm not saying that Paypal are definitely right in their assessment or that they can never change their mind; just saying that there is a significant difference between opening a merchant account and a personal account.
Even if it was a personal account, the amount of money that VGW is moving between Global and Chumba would be enough to raise eyebrows. My guess is PayPal knows exactly what is happening.

With all of that said, I still wouldn't mind seeing Global having other pay out options.

Side note, still waiting for terms on the bet. Peas went super quite after offering up $100.
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #1694
balvey
centurion
 
balvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 158
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by splayaa View Post
+1 to this idea. It will sometimes show tourneys that you were in for a few days, but that is all the history I have seen.
They should have to make results available. Just thinking back to the whole absolute / potripper scandal. If they would be more transparent with results etc, it sure would lend to more trust in the product. The community can be a great source for auditing.
balvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #1695
a dewd
Pooh-Bah
 
a dewd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: west of the easternmost pt up north
Posts: 3,921
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas View Post
Paypal does not do extensive due diligence on each of the thousands of new accounts that register every day. The default is to create a new account and only revisit that if there is a reason to. Given that PayPal is violating the UIGEA and all sorts of state and federal anti-gambling laws with each transaction and their liability growing by the day I can guarantee you someone will take notice at some point. And I'd be happy to bet anyone through an escrow site $100 that this will happen just PM me to arrange.

For gods sake people are just buying into cash poker games with Paypal from a company that is completely unregulated and has no gaming licences. Do you really think that in 8 years no one noticed this gaping loophole in the UIGEA and state and federal laws? That offering poker games with worthless gold coins solves the problem? That all Stars had to do to preserve $5B in market value was to make a few tweaks? Stop dreaming.

Like I said I wish it were true - I love playing super convenient online poker just like in 2009 - but if you think this is permitted you don't know the law.
You should pay attention to how you finished the post and actually learn the law and what you're talking about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
a dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #1696
balvey
centurion
 
balvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 158
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Do not like the response i got from support what so ever to my inquiry on tournament hand histories. They claim they can't for security reasons.... wtf? Every other major site has no issues giving this information out, why wouldn't Global? I don't like this at all.

"Hello Ben,

Thank you for contacting Global Poker Customer Support.

As for each account security, tournament hand are not given to the customer. As for the regular cash games you can view the hand history on from your Global Poker Account. Go to settings then click the hand history you can see the hand of the regular cash games you have played.

We hope this information answers your inquiry. Should there be anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact us again.

Regards,
Kendall"
balvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #1697
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by balvey View Post
Do not like the response i got from support what so ever to my inquiry on tournament hand histories. They claim they can't for security reasons.... wtf? Every other major site has no issues giving this information out, why wouldn't Global? I don't like this at all.

"Hello Ben,

Thank you for contacting Global Poker Customer Support.

As for each account security, tournament hand are not given to the customer. As for the regular cash games you can view the hand history on from your Global Poker Account. Go to settings then click the hand history you can see the hand of the regular cash games you have played.

We hope this information answers your inquiry. Should there be anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact us again.

Regards,
Kendall"
That is a very curious answer for sure. I wonder what the security aspect could be?
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #1698
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by a dewd View Post
You should pay attention to how you finished the post and actually learn the law and what you're talking about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Bro, you are killing my bet
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #1699
balvey
centurion
 
balvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 158
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Not saying that they wouldn't allow it, but typically AWS ( amazon web services ) is pretty diligent about legalities with sites doing business with them as well. I know for fact that Global Poker's infrastructure is sitting in a data center in North Virginia owned by Amazon.

I wouldn't think they'd keep letting them operate in their data centers if there could be legal ramifications.

Last edited by balvey; 10-11-2017 at 12:00 AM.
balvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #1700
splayaa
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,546
Re: General questions Globalpoker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by balvey View Post
Not saying that they wouldn't allow it, but typically AWS ( amazon web services ) is pretty diligent about legalities with sites doing business with them as well. I know for fact that Global Poker's infrastructure is sitting in a data center in North Virginia owned by Amazon.

I wouldn't think they'd keep letting them operate in their data centers if there could be legal ramifications.
I agree that Global is likely solid from a legal standpoint, although that doesn't stop new laws from being passed.

But I disagree with your argument that Amazon being their server backbone vouches for their credibility one way or another. Amazon, much like any other provider of internet services in the US, operate under laws that state they don't enter into the game of deciding if things are legal or not. Instead they host the content until someone tells them to take it down. This protects them from having to be the police force. What Amazon doesn't want to do is take down a legal service and then get sued by that service, or leave up an illegal service and get sued by someone else. So instead they take a neutral role and wait for someone to tell them something is bad and then take action accordingly.

Global has to be such an insignificant part of the overall usage that S3 sees on a daily basis, Global probably doesn't even crack the top 1,000 websites that Amazon serves. So it is possible that the Amazon machine knows of and approves of Global, but its much more likely Global isn't on their radar at all.
splayaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive