Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Tells/Behavior, hosted by: Zachary Elwood Discussions about poker tells, behavior, and psychology, with a focus on live poker.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 AM   #1
OilSpill
grinder
 
OilSpill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 522
Online flop don't min bet

Typoin the title--i meant donk min bets


What do you think it means when it's raised pre, villain calls OOP and then min bets flop?
OilSpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
King Spew
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
King Spew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Between the cradle and the grave
Posts: 10,503
Re: Online flop don't min bet

He doesn't want you betting so big that it prices out his draws. It's called a blocker bet.
King Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
OilSpill
grinder
 
OilSpill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 522
Re: Online flop don't min bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Spew View Post
He doesn't want you betting so big that it prices out his draws. It's called a blocker bet.

Thanks for the response. How do you react here? Do you 3 bet and then continue firing if the turn doesn't help any draws?
OilSpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
SpewingIsMyMove
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,643
Re: Online flop don't min bet

Four interpretations, you have to know the player to pick the correct one

1. Blocker bet-by betting out, you try to keep the in position player from raising more (for example, you bet 1 bb into a 4bb pt, the IP player has to now decide if he wants to make a standard PSB raise to 7bb, where as if you hadn't led out, he would only have to bet 4 bb to stay in control of the betting) This is done in an effort to see a cheap turn when the OOP position player has a draw. You respond to this by raising PSB
2. Probe bet-This is used mainly by beginners. This is basically a weaker player asking plaintively, 'Is my middle pair good?'. Respond to his query with a resounding 'no' in the form of a PSB
3. Tickler bet-a trickier player may recognize that a donk bet looks weak, and does it with a string hand to generate action or cap their range. For example, a flopped set might donk out to a strong aggressive player in order to appear weak. You respond to this bet carefully, folding if you missed the flop, or calling and keeping the pot small if you smell a fish.
4. Value bet-The very noobish of the noobs will bet out when they hit, with the simplistic understanding that you bet when your hand is string, because you are more likely to win. If someone who you think is very new to poker (hard to tell online) donks out on you and all you have is two overs, you can either float them or fold, but don't expect to bluff them.

The size of the donk, the image of the player, your image, and stack sizes will all help you determine if the donk bet is an invitation to attack, or a trap waiting to spring.
SpewingIsMyMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
SpewingIsMyMove
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,643
Re: Online flop don't min bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilSpill View Post
Thanks for the response. How do you react here? Do you 3 bet and then continue firing if the turn doesn't help any draws?
3betting would be difficult when facing an opening bet.
SpewingIsMyMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
OilSpill
grinder
 
OilSpill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 522
Re: Online flop don't min bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpewingIsMyMove View Post
3betting would be difficult when facing an opening bet.
oh, you know what I mean
OilSpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
OilSpill
grinder
 
OilSpill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 522
Re: Online flop don't min bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpewingIsMyMove View Post
Four interpretations, you have to know the player to pick the correct one

1. Blocker bet-by betting out, you try to keep the in position player from raising more (for example, you bet 1 bb into a 4bb pt, the IP player has to now decide if he wants to make a standard PSB raise to 7bb, where as if you hadn't led out, he would only have to bet 4 bb to stay in control of the betting) This is done in an effort to see a cheap turn when the OOP position player has a draw. You respond to this by raising PSB
2. Probe bet-This is used mainly by beginners. This is basically a weaker player asking plaintively, 'Is my middle pair good?'. Respond to his query with a resounding 'no' in the form of a PSB
3. Tickler bet-a trickier player may recognize that a donk bet looks weak, and does it with a string hand to generate action or cap their range. For example, a flopped set might donk out to a strong aggressive player in order to appear weak. You respond to this bet carefully, folding if you missed the flop, or calling and keeping the pot small if you smell a fish.
4. Value bet-The very noobish of the noobs will bet out when they hit, with the simplistic understanding that you bet when your hand is string, because you are more likely to win. If someone who you think is very new to poker (hard to tell online) donks out on you and all you have is two overs, you can either float them or fold, but don't expect to bluff them.

The size of the donk, the image of the player, your image, and stack sizes will all help you determine if the donk bet is an invitation to attack, or a trap waiting to spring.

Very helpful, thanks!
OilSpill is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online