Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Home Poker Discussions of home poker games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
What pistol do you carry?

I carry a Springfield 9mm with two extra magazines as well as wear a vest under my clothes when I play in home games. How do you guys protect yourselves?
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:49 AM   #2
DrStrange
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 803
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Let's be clear to begin. My idea of a home poker game is a dozen friends come to my house to play cards with me. My invite list is private and somewhat selective. We don't advertise and we don't collect a rake. Most nights we are playing for cheese burger stakes, though not always.

If I catch you with a gun in my house, you will get one warning then a life ban.

If my wife catches you with a gun in the house, you will be on the street ASAP and life banned.

Exception for LEOs who are "must carry" employees.

Why? Because I believe in math. That a gun carried into my house is much more likely to end up causing harm to my family or one of the players than it is to safe someone's life. I do not give a **** about a few hundred bucks lost to a robbery.

Even stipulating an armed robbery is going to take place, I think the chances are that a gun fight will result in more damages to life and property than the economic losses from a theft. I appreciate there is a chance that the robbery also ends up in one or more people getting shot without provocation. But I can't help but think a gun fight between player(s) and the robbers is far more likely than a cold blooded killing.

If one of my players wants to play "cops & robbers" fine. Just not at my house. If someone is all that concerned about their safety, the best bet is to buckle seatbelts to/from the game.

DrStrange
DrStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
Bene Gesserit
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bene Gesserit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my old Kentucky Home
Posts: 6,314
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolik View Post
I carry a Springfield 9mm with two extra magazines as well as wear a vest under my clothes when I play in home games. How do you guys protect yourselves?
My goodness!! Where do you play? In a Sopranos game? With the Clantons and McLaurys? Seriously if I thought I needed that much firepower and armor, because of the players or the neighborhood , I would find another game very soon.
Bene Gesserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 18,201
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Is this real?
Garick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garick View Post
Is this real?
The best was an exaggeration, but I do pick heat. Legally.
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 18,201
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Not at my game you don't, for the same reasons DrStrange enumerated.

I went to a game where the host was open carrying once. I never went back
Garick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garick View Post
Not at my game you don't, for the same reasons DrStrange enumerated.

I went to a game where the host was open carrying once. I never went back
My pistol is concealed. Open carry is just being a douche.
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
dmccoy87
grinder
 
dmccoy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 604
Re: What pistol do you carry?

IMO, it's not the other players to worry about. (If you're worried about the players, find a different game.) It's important to keep games with significant money in play under wraps. Low-life's can rob a small stakes home game and make off with a few grand.

As far as my game goes, it's a pretty safe neighborhood and the player pool doesn't associate with anyone I would be concerned about.

My personal carry weapon is never near the poker table, nor do I feel a need to have it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
dmccoy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #9
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 12,465
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolik View Post
I carry a Springfield 9mm with two extra magazines as well as wear a vest under my clothes when I play in home games. How do you guys protect yourselves?
By not playing in games with lunatics like you.
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #10
RichGangi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RichGangi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unearned income my a**!
Posts: 8,302
Re: What pistol do you carry?

RichGangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccoy87 View Post
IMO, it's not the other players to worry about. (If you're worried about the players, find a different game.) It's important to keep games with significant money in play under wraps. Low-life's can rob a small stakes home game and make off with a few grand.

As far as my game goes, it's a pretty safe neighborhood and the player pool doesn't associate with anyone I would be concerned about.

My personal carry weapon is never near the poker table, nor do I feel a need to have it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I never draw my weapon unless I need to shoot someone in self defense.
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #12
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGangi View Post
Because I protect myself while carrying large sums of money? Plugging a butthead full of lead is quicker than dialing 9-1-1.
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #13
Bene Gesserit
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bene Gesserit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my old Kentucky Home
Posts: 6,314
Re: What pistol do you carry?

I hope this thread does not develope into a "Guns are Good.....No , Guns are bad" debate. I personally also carry with a consealed permit , but it is a 22 Mag minipistol NA with only four rounds , hammer on an empty chamber. Only to be used in VERY extreme situations. OP is armed to the teeth with armor too for a home poker game. Sorry, but this is really way too much!

Last edited by Bene Gesserit; 10-02-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Bene Gesserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene Gesserit View Post
I hope this thread does not develope into a "Guns are Good.....No , Guns are bad" debate. I personally also carry with a consealed permit , but it is a 22 Mag minipistol NA with only four rounds , hammer on an empty chamber. Only to be used in VERY extreme situations. OP is armed to the teeth with armor too for a home poker game. Sorry, but this is really way too much!
Maybe you are right. I guess I can ditch the Kevlar helmet and only wear the vest since nobody can see that anyway as it’s under my clothes.
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #15
Bene Gesserit
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bene Gesserit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my old Kentucky Home
Posts: 6,314
Re: What pistol do you carry?

There is a distinct possibility that we are being trolled here. You had me for a while , congrads!!
Bene Gesserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #16
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene Gesserit View Post
There is a distinct possibility that we are being trolled here. You had me for a while , congrads!!
Sir, I’m hurt you’d think that. I’m my area there have been several home games robbed. Moreover, I am walking around in the dark with a few grand on me. I prefer to be protected from mayhem.
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
notyoursmine
enthusiast
 
notyoursmine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 98
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Bersa .380
notyoursmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #18
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyoursmine View Post
Bersa .380
Not an aesthetically pleasing gun, but good for concealed carry.
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #19
dmccoy87
grinder
 
dmccoy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 604
Re: What pistol do you carry?

S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
dmccoy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #20
TFing
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 34
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolik View Post
I carry a Springfield 9mm with two extra magazines as well as wear a vest under my clothes when I play in home games. How do you guys protect yourselves?
I carry a 12 pack of brew, and a bag of pretzels.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
TFing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #21
dmccoy87
grinder
 
dmccoy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 604
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccoy87 View Post
S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Not to the game, mind you. Just in general.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
dmccoy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:47 PM   #22
ICallHimGamblor
old hand
 
ICallHimGamblor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Making music to murder by
Posts: 1,434
Re: What pistol do you carry?

I have a Springfield 9mm for home defense and it's a beautiful gun, but if I thought I needed to take it to a poker game, I'd leave it at home and go to a brewery instead.
ICallHimGamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #23
krolik
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 188
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICallHimGamblor View Post
I have a Springfield 9mm for home defense and it's a beautiful gun, but if I thought I needed to take it to a poker game, I'd leave it at home and go to a brewery instead.
Carry this at times myself. Going to a home game tonight. I will probably just take my AK.
krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #24
swd805
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
swd805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Legalization not regulation.
Posts: 6,782
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrange View Post
Let's be clear to begin. My idea of a home poker game is a dozen friends come to my house to play cards with me. My invite list is private and somewhat selective. We don't advertise and we don't collect a rake. Most nights we are playing for cheese burger stakes, though not always.

If I catch you with a gun in my house, you will get one warning then a life ban.

If my wife catches you with a gun in the house, you will be on the street ASAP and life banned.

Exception for LEOs who are "must carry" employees.

Why? Because I believe in math. That a gun carried into my house is much more likely to end up causing harm to my family or one of the players than it is to safe someone's life. I do not give a **** about a few hundred bucks lost to a robbery.

Even stipulating an armed robbery is going to take place, I think the chances are that a gun fight will result in more damages to life and property than the economic losses from a theft. I appreciate there is a chance that the robbery also ends up in one or more people getting shot without provocation. But I can't help but think a gun fight between player(s) and the robbers is far more likely than a cold blooded killing.

If one of my players wants to play "cops & robbers" fine. Just not at my house. If someone is all that concerned about their safety, the best bet is to buckle seatbelts to/from the game.

DrStrange

You would never catch someone CCing in your house because its concealed, thats the whole point of CC. People CC in the public around you everyday without you knowing or being effected.
swd805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #25
DrStrange
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 803
Re: What pistol do you carry?

Lots of people do things they think are kept secret from the rest of the community. Some of them succeed at keeping their secret, others don't.

If I catch you cheating at my card game, you get a life ban. yes I know cheaters are acting covertly and strive not to be detected. Even so, some do get caught.

Same thing with the gun owners. If you decide to take a chance and carry a gun on my property, it is understood there will be consequences if you are caught. < shrug > no doubt some people can pull off the deception for years and never have a problem. Others can't.

However, I wonder greatly about the character anyone who decides to disrespect my household in this way. You are an invited guest in my house. We have modest expectations from our guests - things like don't smoke in the house; use the bathroom as intended; clean up your mess as you are leaving; don't abuse the family pets - these are not that hard to understand.

There are good reasons why we don't want firearms on the property. If your fear for your safety is so great that you feel compelled to carry your pistol, please go somewhere else.

There are lots of other games, go somewhere else -=- DrStrange
DrStrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online