Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Home Poker Discussions of home poker games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
ThoughtOuttaSeason
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 256
QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

All the ones I've checked out, people complain make a lot of noise. Don't want to spend too much , but also don't want it to sound like someone is starting up a motorcycle every time the cards get shuffled.

thanks
ThoughtOuttaSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
the crabs2
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 63
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Your hands are fast, very quiet and very cheap.

Seriously, the only one worth having is the casino one (shuffle master? i believe). And that is far from cheap.
the crabs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
ThoughtOuttaSeason
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 256
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the crabs2 View Post
Your hands are fast, very quiet and very cheap.

Seriously, the only one worth having is the casino one (shuffle master? i believe). And that is far from cheap.
Yeah, I mean I mostly want it for heads up. Way too annoying to hand shuffle when more than half the hands dealt don't even see a flop.

Oh well....
ThoughtOuttaSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Bene Gesserit
Pooh-Bah
 
Bene Gesserit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my old Kentucky Home
Posts: 5,943
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Likely not too many items/ options worth your time that are inexpensive. But that just means whatever "inexpensive" means to you personally would help you to decide on something that is suitable.
Bene Gesserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
sw_emigre
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: inside when I should be outside
Posts: 1,024
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Carpentry workshop near my house has this sign:

Fast...Cheap...Good
You can have two of the three. You decide.
sw_emigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
ThoughtOuttaSeason
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 256
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

I'm looking for the most inexpensive QUIET shuffler. If it is otherwise poorly constructed that is ok as I won't use it very much.
ThoughtOuttaSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
the crabs2
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 63
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Well the shuffle tech is probably the cheapest option at about 500 bucks but I heard it sounds like a chainsaw. I've heard about some people flush mounting it to their table and wrapping foam around it to try and cut down the noise a bit.
the crabs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
eneely
newbie
 
eneely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HP, obv
Posts: 9,779
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Pretty darn quiet, and very cheap:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark...ffler/17046906
eneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Zathras
grinder
 
Zathras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: AZ, in the F'n Hills, near the Fort
Posts: 413
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw_emigre View Post
Carpentry workshop near my house has this sign:

Fast...Cheap...Good
You can have two of the three. You decide.
That's the same slogan we use in IT.
Zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Diamond Dave 23
stranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

RE: AVOID Shuffletech.

Used it for 1 1/2 poker nights. I'm in electronics. This thing is poorly made. After about 6 hours of usage it started to slow down, then eventually just froze up, blinking lights/jammed. You'd have to unplug it and replug it in to get it alive again. After doing this a dozen times we said screw it, just go back to hand shuffling. Too bad there isn't a product out there you can get that works. I figured since this one was 5-7 times the cost of the others, that it would be decent and last. I was wrong.

Also upset that you can 'exchange' and they'll pay for shipping, but if you want your money back, mind you I bought this 6 days ago, paid for 2 day freight and used it twice, that YOU don't get reimbursed for the shipping you paid or the return shipping that YOU must pay. So I wasted $100 on shipping for a low quality POS.

Keep hand shuffling and avoid this product. I wish I would have read the reviews. Ours worked for a few hours. I wouldn't want it if it as FREE!
Diamond Dave 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #11
Rakrul
journeyman
 
Rakrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 254
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave 23 View Post
RE: AVOID Shuffletech.

Used it for 1 1/2 poker nights. I'm in electronics. This thing is poorly made. After about 6 hours of usage it started to slow down, then eventually just froze up, blinking lights/jammed. You'd have to unplug it and replug it in to get it alive again. After doing this a dozen times we said screw it, just go back to hand shuffling. Too bad there isn't a product out there you can get that works. I figured since this one was 5-7 times the cost of the others, that it would be decent and last. I was wrong.

Also upset that you can 'exchange' and they'll pay for shipping, but if you want your money back, mind you I bought this 6 days ago, paid for 2 day freight and used it twice, that YOU don't get reimbursed for the shipping you paid or the return shipping that YOU must pay. So I wasted $100 on shipping for a low quality POS.

Keep hand shuffling and avoid this product. I wish I would have read the reviews. Ours worked for a few hours. I wouldn't want it if it as FREE!
I bought one of the first ones and it's been running for 9 years. We went from ~3 poker nights a month to once the last years, but I still had to do some repairs every 2nd or 3rd night. I'm quite good at identifying the issues now so it only takes me ~15 minutes to repair it, so I agree it's not the most sturdy thing built. Too bad they didn't get any momentum though, so we'd get to see a 2nd and 3rd generation. He's currently in a second lawsuit now against ShuffleMaster so I guess that's where he's spending his time.

I'm surprised you were able to buy one. I've sent him some mails and asked to buy another but no response. I don't know the US consumer laws but it's pretty much the same in EU in regards to shipping costs. You can't actually request money back either.

Edit: By the way, I'm not recommending it to anyone. I'm happy with it and all its flaws but you'd need really low expectations to be happy with it based on everyone else's reviews. I'm just glad I don't have to shuffle for 12 hours.

Last edited by Rakrul; 09-12-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Rakrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
gnc
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 74
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakrul View Post
I bought one of the first ones and it's been running for 9 years. We went from ~3 poker nights a month to once the last years, but I still had to do some repairs every 2nd or 3rd night. I'm quite good at identifying the issues now so it only takes me ~15 minutes to repair it, so I agree it's not the most sturdy thing built. Too bad they didn't get any momentum though, so we'd get to see a 2nd and 3rd generation. He's currently in a second lawsuit now against ShuffleMaster so I guess that's where he's spending his time.

I'm surprised you were able to buy one. I've sent him some mails and asked to buy another but no response. I don't know the US consumer laws but it's pretty much the same in EU in regards to shipping costs. You can't actually request money back either.

Edit: By the way, I'm not recommending it to anyone. I'm happy with it and all its flaws but you'd need really low expectations to be happy with it based on everyone else's reviews. I'm just glad I don't have to shuffle for 12 hours.
How did you learn how to repair it? Were you able to find any schematics, parts list or anything like that?

What is the most common repair? I have one that keeps getting the tray stuck at the bottom.

Thanks,
Grant
gnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
Rakrul
journeyman
 
Rakrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 254
Re: QUIET inexpensive card shuffler for home games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnc View Post
How did you learn how to repair it? Were you able to find any schematics, parts list or anything like that?

What is the most common repair? I have one that keeps getting the tray stuck at the bottom.

Thanks,
Grant
Sorry about the delay.

Basically I just opened it and took a look. My first repair was because an o-ring snapped. I super-glued it, but it didn't last that long, so I bought some. I ended up contacting them, and he just mailed me some spare parts. This was relatively early on (like first year) so he was quite responsive then. He did of course offer to repair it, but I didn't want to deal with shipping.

The mechanical design is quite simple so when you open it, it's not a big mystery. Be ware though! The arms that fall down when the tray is at the bottom, to guide the cards into the tray, is spring-loaded and a $£@#! to get back in, due to the small space you have to work with.

Most often, those arms get stuck in the shuffler and doesn't fall down and the cards don't end up in the tray, so that's my most common repair. The occasional O-ring snapping happens about once a year.

When you say, the tray is stuck at the bottom - how do you fix it? Also do you use top- or bottom feeding? Meaning do you remove the shuffled deck from top or bottom?
Rakrul is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online