Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >


House of Blogs I guess 2+2 is your blog.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #26
Carpal \'Tunnel
Didace's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,726
Re: Go West Old Man: Didace Makes a Move

Iím in Minnesota.

As I said above, on our drive from the Knoxville airport we received a call from my nephew and then from my sister. My sister was in the hospital.

(At this point I think I need to list a cast of characters or it will get too confusing to write.
M Ė My oldest sister, mother of my three nephews. She lives half the time in Virginia near where we used to live, and half the time in Minnesota, with a generous amount of visiting her oldest son in Colorado.
S Ė My sister two years older than me. Single and lives in Minnesota.
K Ė My younger sister. Lives in Minnesota with her husband and five adopted children.
E Ė My oldest nephew. Lives in Colorado with his wife and children. Heís the one that helped us move into our new house.
A Ė My middle nephew. Lives in Virginia with his wife and son. Has been spending summers in Minnesota while his wife goes to classes for a degree she has been working on.
A2 Ė My youngest nephew. Lives in Minnesota with his wife and kids.)

The first call was from A. My sister S was in the hospital. She hadnít been feeling well and when she didnít respond to texts or calls on Thursday, M and A2 went to check on her. She was on her couch passed out, breathing but non-responsive. They called 911.

M called not long after that. S was first taken to a local hospital, but they saw a few things they didnít think they could handle and almost right away transferred her to the U of M hospital. She had some infection they couldnít identify, and her blood sugar was over 700. She remained mostly non-responsive with a few moments when she would squeeze her hand when prompted. They transferred her to the ICU not long after arriving at the U emergency room.

M and A2 were with her at the first hospital and K made it there before she was transferred. M and K went to the U and stayed there with S. When M called us, the doctors didnít know what the infection was, why it caused a spike in her blood sugar, or when all this started. Basically, all they knew was the blood sugar had to come down.

I asked M if I should turn around and fly there, but she said while things were obviously serious there wasnít any immediate danger of S dying. We decided to continue our vacation, but obviously, this was always on our minds.

Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday, all the updates were basically the same Ė still non-responsive, blood sugar slowly coming down, still not sure what the infection is but treating it with heavy duty antibiotics, not sure what caused everything. It was frustrating that I didnít know anything more and not being there, but I knew M and K were handling things and it wouldnít make a difference if I went there.

M and K stayed with S in the ICU Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Not surprisingly, sleeping accommodations were not ideal. They got no more than a few cat-naps the whole time. By Saturday afternoon, Sís blood sugar had come down enough (still high at +300) and she was somewhat responsive, but couldnít recognize anyone, that they felt comfortable going home to sleep. Plus, K had her family and needed to be with them.

Sunday morning brought dramatic improvement. S was alert and could hold conversations. She remembered M and Kís names, but was very confused about why and how she was in the hospital. She was cognitively very slow and couldnít remember a lot of things. But by Sunday evening she had regained almost all of her cognitive ability. This was very good news.

We talked to M while driving home from the Phoenix airport. She gave us an update and filled in a lot of details. The doctors still didnít know what caused the infection or if it caused the conditions that allowed the blood sugar to spike, or if the blood sugar rise allowed the infection to get worse. Either way, the two things worked together to make each of them worse. I asked M if I should come to help out and she said yes. M was scheduled to go to Colorado to visit E on Thursday and would feel better about going there if I was in Minnesota to help K handle things. So when we got home I booked a ticket to go to Minnesota on Wednesday.

We donít know when things started, or when they escalated, but S was in trouble for a while. M and K had just seen her on Sunday when the three of them took Kís and A2ís daughters to a play. S mentioned not feeling great, but otherwise seemed fine. But when they thought about it, it had been a couple of months since anyone had been to Sís house. If they had gone there at any time in the previous few weeks, they would have known something was wrong.

Sís house was a mess. Not your ordinary mess, S was never very neat, but a donít do anything for several weeks mess. Unwashed dishes were piled in the sink and the counter. Her bedroom was filed with dirty clothes on the floor and no sheets on the bed. S has Type 2 diabetes. She had unused blood testing strips dating back to 2015. She admitted to us that she rarely tested for the past few years and not at all for months. So how long has this been going on that she was functional enough to go to work and interact with the family, but not able to take care of herself at home? Is there another issue that caused her to care about anything at home, or was there a long slow increase in her blood sugar that caused a mental disconnect? We donít know. But that house needed a major cleaning. M and K started on Monday. They spent several hours there both Monday and Tuesday. I joined them on Thursday. Itís in pretty good shape now but still needs some work before S gets back home.

Part of the reason M wanted me here (besides I wanted to see and help S) was that there was a lot going on for everyone else that was here in Minnesota. K has her own family and job to attend to. A sold a house he owned in St. Paul (he and his wife lived there for 10 weeks for two summers while she went to school, A2 maintained it and did some improvements, and they sold it for a fair profit, everything that kid does works out) and the closing was this week. And then they were packing up their RV to get back to VA because his wifeís teaching job starts up again next week. A2 is busy with his family and work. So that leaves me to be on call and stay on top of things for S.

S is still in the hospital but moved out of the ICU on Sunday night. Her blood sugar is under control for now, but sheís not strong enough to take care of herself yet Ė it was a big accomplishment when she was able to walk up three stairs yesterday with the aid of a cane, but it totally wiped her out. They are waiting for a bed to open up in a rehab center and then they will cut her loose.

S she has to have a new normal in her life, we just need to figure out what that means. It obviously includes faithful monitoring of her blood sugar, but there needs to be other life changes as well. The doctors still donít know what caused what or where the infection came from, but I worry she might have other mental issues that started her down this path. Weíll all just need to be more mindful of paying attention to make sure she doesnít slip back into a situation where this could happen again.

I leave here on Tuesday. Hopefully S gets transferred to rehab before I leave. M returns to Minnesota Tuesday night.

On Wednesday we have our 30-day walkthrough on our house with our builder. Thursday my wife leaves for a 10-day trip to Tbilisi. Maybe weíll get into a routine when she returns and finish setting up our new house.
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #27
Carpal \'Tunnel
Didace's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,726
Re: Go West Old Man: Didace Makes a Move

We have neighbors!

Thatís not usually something to get excited about, but for a while it was a pretty lonely street. Iím not sure if the sample size is large enough to call it a trend, but we previously purchased two houses together and each time it was new construction and we were one of the first ones to move in. This time was no different.

Our little area of the development has about 50 lots that are more or less cut in half by the street entering the area off of the main road of the development. All of the 25 houses to the south of the street were completed and occupied several months before we moved in. We were the second people to close on their house for this half, but the other people didnít move in right away. So, there were 11 houses on our side of the street, nine on the other side, and five backing to those houses before you get to the completed ones. We are right in the middle of our side, essentially as far away from occupied houses as you can get, with no one else living there and construction going on all around us. But that has changed.

As of today, the people across the street have moved in, three houses to our right have been moved into, four more had their brick driveways put in at the end of last week (this is the last major thing that gets done) and should close this week, and three others have the driveway prepped so it shouldnít be too long for them. The rest of the houses are in various stages of being finished. The construction supervisor told me that they all should be finished by sometime in October. No more construction happening on the street will be a good thing.

Now, we all need to get our landscaping done. All of the houses come with a dirt yard. This is new for me, but I guess itís standard in many places. We have 90 days from our closing to get the front yard approved and done. Requirements are minimal, but it does need to be approved so you just canít slap anything in. Weíve contracted with a landscaper and hope to get started in a couple of weeks. The people across the street had theirs started on Friday. Everyone else is still dirt.

Update on my sister: While in the hospital waiting for a rehab bed to open up, she made enough progress that they sent her home instead. Looking back, this is not surprising. She did not have to relearn how to do anything, she just had to regain strength. When she was able to go up and down a flight of stairs, even though one time wipes her out, they cut her loose. The PT, OT, and home health nurse come to her place several times a week. M is keeping her on track with lifestyle changes. All in all, things are very, very positive considering where she was at a little more than two weeks ago.
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online