Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

House of Blogs I guess 2+2 is your blog.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 01:59 AM   #26
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Just had sex with ex girlfriend. We were more honest with each other now than ever. Interesting how we both lied to each other to protect each others feelings and it ended up being the reason we fought and split up. Honesty is the way to go. In the words of a former boss, "Don't worry about people's emotions, worry about your pockets!"
Worry about what you want, and the rest takes care of itself.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #27
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Why the **** am I going to be selling windows for a living? I have a mensa level IQ, I have read books on a gazillion subjects, have a sharp business and poker mind. What the **** am I doing?? Why can't I find a job in a business making business decisions? That is what I would be amazing at!!??
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:07 AM   #28
lapka
 
lapka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Now... in a surprisingly good place
Posts: 4,849
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
Why the **** am I going to be selling windows for a living? I have a mensa level IQ, I have read books on a gazillion subjects, have a sharp business and poker mind. What the **** am I doing?? Why can't I find a job in a business making business decisions? That is what I would be amazing at!!??
If you would be amazing at big business, then you would be amazing at selling windows. Your IQ...... I mean look around. Look around here. There are a LOT of smart people here. IQ matters but only may be like 5 % in having a good career.
lapka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #29
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapka View Post
If you would be amazing at big business, then you would be amazing at selling windows. Your IQ...... I mean look around. Look around here. There are a LOT of smart people here. IQ matters but only may be like 5 % in having a good career.
You're right. Determination and focus are probably more important
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #30
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,868
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
You're right. Determination and focus are probably more important
I've seen so many of my smart students go out into the world only to crash and burn, because they thought that the skills they had that took them so far in college (IQ, determination, focus, etc.) were the same skills required to be successful in the real world.

They are not. What really matters is your emotional intelligence. Your ability to develop personal relationships, get along in teams, make friends at work, etc. It's virtually impossible to get promoted very far unless you are liked by the people who do the promoting.

There are books on this that will explain it far better than i can on a message board.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #31
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
I've seen so many of my smart students go out into the world only to crash and burn, because they thought that the skills they had that took them so far in college (IQ, determination, focus, etc.) were the same skills required to be successful in the real world.

They are not. What really matters is your emotional intelligence. Your ability to develop personal relationships, get along in teams, make friends at work, etc. It's virtually impossible to get promoted very far unless you are liked by the people who do the promoting.

There are books on this that will explain it far better than i can on a message board.
I agree to some extent. I've read How to Win Friends about a dozen times. For the past five years I've worked hard on getting along with people. I think you need social skills to get into positions of power, and when you're there, you need to have business skills and IQ to make good decisions.

I'd say most successful entrepreneurs are very intelligent people. Emotional intelligence and working together with people is a small part of what they do; a lot of being a CEO is being a huge dick. You have to be capable of being the bad guy, and making cold decisions. Even Richard Branson seems like a really nice guy but I'm sure he has a ruthless streak.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:54 AM   #32
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 7,838
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
All life can be summed up in the following phrase (without being too reductive):

Seek pleasure and avoid pain.

My goal of a million is a desire for pleasure. Would a million dollars give me pleasure? Maybe not. But in the process of seeking the goal, maybe I'll find that thing that gives me pleasure and at the same time makes me money. I have no real love of finance or math. I like creative things like writing and art and comedy.

One rule: follow pleasure.
pretty short term outlook on life. pleasure and pain are both fleeting
thabighurt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #33
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabighurt35 View Post
pretty short term outlook on life. pleasure and pain are both fleeting
But why do we do anything we do in life?

Seems to me pleasure is good and pain is bad and no reason to complicate it more... there are diff types of pleasure of course... some more like "contentment" and others like sexual or fleeting highs.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #34
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,868
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
But why do we do anything we do in life?

Seems to me pleasure is good and pain is bad and no reason to complicate it more... there are diff types of pleasure of course... some more like "contentment" and others like sexual or fleeting highs.
I agree. This is pretty much how all animals work, but most don't realize it. Those who espouse delayed gratification, etc., are still trying to seek pleasure and avoid pain. Even those who take current pain so they will have future pleasure are taking the long view of the same concept.

OTOH, if you're only seeking short-term pleasure, then life is going to hit you upside the head eventually.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #35
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
I agree. This is pretty much how all animals work, but most don't realize it. Those who espouse delayed gratification, etc., are still trying to seek pleasure and avoid pain. Even those who take current pain so they will have future pleasure are taking the long view of the same concept.

OTOH, if you're only seeking short-term pleasure, then life is going to hit you upside the head eventually.
For the first part of my life I was ultra responsible, always delayed gratification... then i realized I was having no fun and I never would have fun... was just being a tool. Started living life, got into trouble, had bad consequences but some good consequences. Learned a lot about real life, not book life. The result... now I have my head on straight finally balance seems to be the key.

Update: one sales guy at my company is hilarious, and a master salesman. I"m learning a ton from him. Guy could sell ice to an eskimo. Great communicator, very charismatic. I sometimes have daydreams of ruling the world. I'll never be president (wouldn't want to be) but being a salesman is the next best thing. How about making big bucks from just talking to people??? Seems great.

MOney no fame
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:52 AM   #36
ninetynine99
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ninetynine99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Who wants to know?
Posts: 9,197
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

deep thoughts itt

ninetynine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #37
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

I'm usually guilty of thinking too deeply and not taking enough action... time to change that!!!

The owner of my company is not college educated, not what you would call an intellectual, but a multi-millionnaire!! Grit, sales, determination!
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #38
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Is it possible to be genuinely nice, open, and honest, and still be successful?

Or is life fundamentally a pit of evil, where the strong survive and dominate the weak?

I refuse to comprimise my morals, and I am in the gutter financially. I wonder if I should kill myself. Life is hard for the honest.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #39
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Direct sales is hard as balls. Imagine getting dealt 27o fifty times in a row. Then the dealer insults you to your face.

I'm realizing that I have to be much tougher, more in your face with these people. They all think they know what they want, and they are not respectful of my time or what I have to say. I am failing hard and I know it, but my manager is going to spend more time with me.

I am hoping integrity will carry me through the day. I will not lie to my manager and tell him I am doing well when I am not.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #40
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Ambition is a powerful thing.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #41
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Having a hard time selling anything. People are shoppers. They don't want to purchase on the spot. I have to get better or get a new job.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #42
lapka
 
lapka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Now... in a surprisingly good place
Posts: 4,849
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

My personal POV to sales:
sales is an unbelievably ****ty job. You have to try to make an eskimo buy a fridge. Main thing is make a sale, no matter if people need it or not. It is heavy pressure on you, because your money depends on it. And you making a sale depends only partly on you, but mainly on your clients. You have to take a ton of rejection and be just fine with it.

I would look in a different career. But there are people who are good at sales. From what you wrote here, I don't think that you are natural sales man. I mean it not as something negative, but like "you are blond/brunette" . It is just so.

It is absolutely not a career advice, just my POV here.
lapka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #43
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapka View Post
My personal POV to sales:
sales is an unbelievably ****ty job. You have to try to make an eskimo buy a fridge. Main thing is make a sale, no matter if people need it or not. It is heavy pressure on you, because your money depends on it. And you making a sale depends only partly on you, but mainly on your clients. You have to take a ton of rejection and be just fine with it.

I would look in a different career. But there are people who are good at sales. From what you wrote here, I don't think that you are natural sales man. I mean it not as something negative, but like "you are blond/brunette" . It is just so.

It is absolutely not a career advice, just my POV here.
Appreciate the observation...

I got a sale today. That helped boost my confidence.

I think you are right that I'm not a natural salesman, I'm an introvert for one, so too much blabbing makes me tired. I am quick on my feet though. It's not easy. Nothing is easy. The one thing about my personality that makes me think sales is right is that I hate sitting in an office all day. I've done that, and it makes me really antsy. I like moving around, seeing a variety of situations on a daily basis. Sales provides that.

I also love the negotiation process. I love the feeling of outsmarting someone (just like poker).

The main downside is that paychecks are not steady. I'm going to give it a few months. If it doesn't get better, then I'll have to look into other lines of work. But I think sales is it for me since I have no other real skills. So inside sales as opposed to direct sales would be the next option.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #44
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

"The weak in courage is strong in cunning"

William Blake!!! Pure gold!!
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #45
BetAgainst
Boozehound
 
BetAgainst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 777
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Grunch.

I have been inspired and started this project myself.

Good luck to you, sir.
BetAgainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #46
Quick_Ben
temp-banned
 
Quick_Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13,741
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Maybe if you ask your parents to give you an allowance for doing chores around the house you can achieve your goal even faster?
Quick_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:43 AM   #47
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick_Ben View Post
Maybe if you ask your parents to give you an allowance for doing chores around the house you can achieve your goal even faster?
Awww, a wee jealous are we?

It's funny how people act just like crabs in buckets.

*** haters aside, got two sales today. Got eaten alive on commission but it's a learning curve. Motivated me since I was on the verge of quitting; asked a buddy for a job and he might have one for me, one with a steady paycheck, but not nearly the same income potential.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #48
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

My rules for success:

1. Know what you want.
2. Go for it.
3. Get knocked down.
4. Get back up.
5. Get knocked down.
6. Get back up.
7. Get knocked down.
8. Hit the other guy.
9. Get rich.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #49
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: Broke to Million in 5 Years

sold 5 in a row, two with manager with me (split comm). 3 on my own, one to a chinese guy. Proud of that one since chinese are tough, very price conscious, very hard bargainers.

Almost got one yesterday. Gotta keep my energy up. Sales is a transfer of emotion! Always stay positive no matter what, and go for close all the time. ABC if you want the knife set you fing fgats.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #50
marke.
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 408
Broke to Million in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
My rules for success:

1. Know what you want.
2. Go for it.
3. Get knocked down.
4. Get back up.
5. Get knocked down.
6. Get back up.
7. Get knocked down.
8. Hit the other guy.
9. Get rich.


I'd advise you get back up again before trying to crack the other guy. A fist to the shin is not good for anyone

Last edited by marke.; 08-02-2016 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Whoever heard of a Top 9 list anyway? Mensa level IQ. indeed.
marke. is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online