Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Politics version 7.0 more politics.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #1626
Original Position
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Original Position's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,335
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
They should be careful, but by no means do I think they can't use humor, I mean, it's part of speech. Just because he's a politician doesn't mean he's a robot.
Fair enough. I definitely agree that politicians should be able to use humor. But I do think some elected (and unelected) offices carry with them duties for how you are supposed to act in public, and when these office-holders don't abide by those duties they are shirking their responsibilities. I think it plausible that these duties could prohibit them from making some kinds of jokes, even if meant innocently.
Original Position is offline  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #1627
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: read "Fraud Famine and Fascism"
Posts: 14,918
Re: President Trump

einbert is offline  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #1628
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: read "Fraud Famine and Fascism"
Posts: 14,918
Re: President Trump

Thread:
einbert is offline  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #1629
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: read "Fraud Famine and Fascism"
Posts: 14,918
Re: President Trump

Quote:
That is quite a big step back from the position of white culture permeating all thought and being the cause of the problems of black society, and I'm sure you can understand why such a point comes off as an abdication of personal responsibility at first glance.
I never said that.
einbert is offline  
Old 02-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #1630
mongidig
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,122
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanktehbadwookie View Post
Every struggle is always a pipe dream.
"There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot".
mongidig is offline  
Old 02-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #1631
spanktehbadwookie
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
spanktehbadwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: River Region
Posts: 19,376
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongidig View Post
"There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot".
"Is that like saying "all quotes matter"?"
spanktehbadwookie is offline  
Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #1632
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic View Post
The two things I like about this post is the bolded is clearly wrong and I NEED a citation on it, or that a congregation member told you a Chris Rock joke from 15 years ago and you've repeated it as a fact about an entire race.
This is the 2nd time that dumb mother****er told that dumb mother****ing anecdote.
5ive is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #1633
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,925
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
Yes, I know white liberals really love to cite that study. The problem is that it's flawed. The names used in that study may denote class as much as race. There have been other studies trying to just cut it down to race and it wasn't as conclusive. Also, a study in Canada brought back discrimination in Asian last names. I'm on my phone so I can't link but google "resumes black names" and check out the Chicago Tribune article. They did it with Hispanic names and did not see a difference. Things might not be as cut and dried as you think.
The new study only used surnames an indicator of race. But how many HR people are going to know that people with the surname Washington are 90% black?

But for anyone still not sure racism is still a problem:

Black children with acute appendicitis -- a clearly painful emergency -- are less likely than white children to get painkillers in the emergency room

or

Therapists often discriminate against black and poor patients, study finds

Well, that could just be class, right...

Quote:
Middle-class black women and men were about 30% and 60% less likely, respectively, than their white middle-class counterparts to hear back from a therapist agreeing to see them. Working-class individuals fared even worse: Women and men, regardless of race, were about 70% and 80% less likely, respectively, to get an appointment, compared with white middle-class individuals.
But I'm sure somebody here who has never read,--let alone published--a study in his whole goddam life is going to come along and tell us how flawed all this research is.
13ball is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #1634
chezlaw
Limey Bastard
 
chezlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Posts: 42,164
Re: President Trump

Deleted 5 in a row 5ive posts.

5ive that was a mixture. Some of your concerns should lead to post reports or discussion in the moderation thread but please don't hijack the content thread that way.
chezlaw is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #1635
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,788
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
The new study only used surnames an indicator of race. But how many HR people are going to know that people with the surname Washington are 90% black?

But for anyone still not sure racism is still a problem:

Black children with acute appendicitis -- a clearly painful emergency -- are less likely than white children to get painkillers in the emergency room

or

Therapists often discriminate against black and poor patients, study finds

Well, that could just be class, right...



But I'm sure somebody here who has never read,--let alone published--a study in his whole goddam life is going to come along and tell us how flawed all this research is.
Well right, they must be flawed. Ya see, we know racism is dead. So the studies must be wrong.

And i really dont see any point to even doing studies. That just gives them a reason to be lazy and fail.
Victor is online now  
Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #1636
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
The new study only used surnames an indicator of race. But how many HR people are going to know that people with the surname Washington are 90% black?

But for anyone still not sure racism is still a problem:

Black children with acute appendicitis -- a clearly painful emergency -- are less likely than white children to get painkillers in the emergency room

or

Therapists often discriminate against black and poor patients, study finds

Well, that could just be class, right...



But I'm sure somebody here who has never read,--let alone published--a study in his whole goddam life is going to come along and tell us how flawed all this research is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Well right, they must be flawed. Ya see, we know racism is dead. So the studies must be wrong.

And i really dont see any point to even doing studies. That just gives them a reason to be lazy and fail.
It's amazing that I have to explain simple, easy to understand concepts to people. Race has nothing to do with any of the above. It's cultural or class bias. The pain medication article even states that it may be due to black children being less likely to say they are in pain!

You people look at everything through the lens of race. Unfortunately, culture is tied to race, so you only see it as racism. It's REALLY dumb.

For example, my parents are not culturally assimilated at all to american society. They struggled both financially and socially. Their children thrived both financially and socially. Does that mean people were racist against my parents but somehow gave me and my siblings a pass?

It's absolutely shocking to me I have to explain this.

Last edited by wil318466; 02-24-2017 at 08:26 AM.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #1637
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,925
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
It's amazing that I have to explain simple, easy to understand concepts to people. Race has nothing to do with any of the above. It's cultural or class bias. The pain medication article even states that it may be due to black children being less likely to say they are in pain!

You people look at everything through the lens of race. Unfortunately, culture is tied to race, so you only see it as racism. It's REALLY dumb.

For example, my parents are not culturally assimilated at all to american society. They struggled both financially and socially. Their children thrived both financially and socially. Does that mean people were racist against my parents but somehow gave me and my siblings a pass?

It's absolutely shocking to me I have to explain this.
The therapist study explicitly accounts for class. You are in racist denial.
13ball is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #1638
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
The therapist study explicitly accounts for class. You are in racist denial.
I notice you dropped the pain medication article when I brought up the point of black kids not mentioning they are in pain.

Your above point is easily addrsssed. Read it :

"The scripts varied the names, vocabulary and grammar to reflect race and class differences. For example, the name Amy Roberts was supposed to indicate that the caller was a white middle-class woman, whereas Latoya Johnson was used for a black middle-class woman. The scripts for working-class individuals used more slang and some grammatical errors."

I specifically mentioned people may indeed be biased towards class. You can take race out of it. It doesn't take much thought to understand why a highly educated individual may be biased more towards other educated individuals. Who do you relate more to, Eminem or Neil degrasse Tyson? I'm sure many people will say Eminem due to lolwil but we know the answer.

Your arguments are awful, and you know it. Lol @ purposefully using gramatical errors and slang and not expecting a change in response from arguably the most educated people in the world.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #1639
chezlaw
Limey Bastard
 
chezlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Posts: 42,164
Re: President Trump

3 more posts deleted. Please stick to posting about the content.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
No, I'm saying I'm glad we finally have the perspective of a self-hating white liberal in this forum. We've been lacking that perspective. I'm sure you will bring a unique and fresh view on things.

Please, keep telling us minorities how they should feel in a society of white supremacy. I'm a minority, I'm fascinated. What can I do to make you make my life better?
Wil, this is making as issue out of the person posting rather than the content of the argument. Deletion is more likely in future and please don't post this way in content threads
chezlaw is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #1640
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

I'm highly perceptive, what can I say.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #1641
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: read "Fraud Famine and Fascism"
Posts: 14,918
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
I'm highly perceptive, what can I say.
You're highly clueless.

einbert is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #1642
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by einbert View Post
You're highly clueless.

2018 it is, then. Bring it. I think you guys are going to get your asses kicked again. But we'll see.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #1643
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,925
Re: President Trump

http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/rel...p-a0035663.pdf


Quote:
Study 1 provides evidence that children may not be given the
privilege of innocence equally across race. From ages 0 –9, children
were seen as equally innocent regardless of race. However,
perceptions of innocence began to diverge at age 10. At this point,
participants began to think of Black children as significantly less
innocent than other children at every age group, beginning at the
age of 10. Interestingly, after the age of 10, the perceived innocence
of Black children is equal to or less than the perceived
innocence of non-Black children in the next oldest cohort. In other
words, the perceived innocence of Black children age 10 –13 was
equivalent to that of non-Black children age 14 –17, and the
perceived innocence of Black children age 14 –17 was equivalent
to that of non-Black adults age 18 –21. This provides preliminary
evidence that Black children are more likely to be seen as similar
to adults prematurely. What might be the consequences of this
innocence gap in criminal justice contexts, where perceiving someone
as not innocent has the most severe consequences?
13ball is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #1644
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,925
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
I notice you dropped the pain medication article when I brought up the point of black kids not mentioning they are in pain.

Your above point is easily addrsssed. Read it :

"The scripts varied the names, vocabulary and grammar to reflect race and class differences. For example, the name Amy Roberts was supposed to indicate that the caller was a white middle-class woman, whereas Latoya Johnson was used for a black middle-class woman. The scripts for working-class individuals used more slang and some grammatical errors."

I specifically mentioned people may indeed be biased towards class. You can take race out of it. It doesn't take much thought to understand why a highly educated individual may be biased more towards other educated individuals. Who do you relate more to, Eminem or Neil degrasse Tyson? I'm sure many people will say Eminem due to lolwil but we know the answer.

Your arguments are awful, and you know it. Lol @ purposefully using gramatical errors and slang and not expecting a change in response from arguably the most educated people in the world.
Read it again. The study had black and white individuals in the working class category and black and white individuals in the middle-class category. THERE WAS STILL BIAS IN THE MIDDLE-CLASS CATEGORYY:

Quote:
Middle-class black women and men were about 30% and 60% less likely, respectively, than their white middle-class counterparts to hear back from a therapist agreeing to see them.
13ball is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #1645
Leo_Trollstoy
journeyman
 
Leo_Trollstoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 289
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
Your arguments are awful, and you know it. Lol @ purposefully using gramatical errors and slang and not expecting a change in response from arguably the most educated people in the world.
I think you missed the point.
Leo_Trollstoy is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #1646
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,925
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Lol @ purposefully using gramatical errors and slang and not expecting a change in response from arguably the most educated people in the world.
lol @ this.
13ball is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #1647
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: read "Fraud Famine and Fascism"
Posts: 14,918
Re: President Trump

Quote:
2018 it is, then. Bring it. I think you guys are going to get your asses kicked again. But we'll see.
wil318466 is online now Reply With Quote
What? You're highly clueless no matter what happens in the elections. What in the goddamn hell are you blathering about.
einbert is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #1648
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,925
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon229 View Post
It´s interesting that Wil is the only person in this thread, who clearly sees, that embracing the victimhood only leads to negative outcomes.

His rejection of victimhood and making the best out of the current state is probably also the reason why he is so successful in terms of career and having a family in spite of being part of a minority.

Seriously, how warped is the worldview of some guys here?
There's a difference between "embracing victimhood" and denying empirical evidence of race-based discrimination. And since the vast majority of minorities who are successful do not deny this evidence, the idea that denying the evidence might be the key to success is nonsense.
13ball is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #1649
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

There must be a full moon because wil is Korean again.
5ive is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #1650
spanktehbadwookie
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
spanktehbadwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: River Region
Posts: 19,376
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
I'm highly perceptive, what can I say.
So you notice that is bragging, which has never really amounted to much in the long run. Even losers can brag.

As someone who as studied the qualities of perception and perspective, I'm just calling it like I see it.

I like the arts of bragging, as a person who practices formal and informal arts of bragging, one may even call me a perceptive critic of bragging. AKA a bragger who doesn't need to brag, but can.
spanktehbadwookie is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive