Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Politics version 7.0 more politics.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 AM   #6876
Original Position
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Original Position's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,339
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Sklansky View Post
I admit to ignorance here and not taking a position, just what i heard on cbs news while getting ready for work, but most of the big foreign policy decisions like saudi arabia arms deals and some syria bombings were simply carried out under trump and planned under obama. is that accurate?
Not really. Here are a couple of big changes:

-Trump pulling out of Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal
-Trump pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement

The Syria bombings were in response to a chemical attack by the Assad government - we don't know how Obama would have responded, but I wouldn't be surprised if he responded in a similar fashion. The Saudi Arabia arms deal is mostly not real - it is a wish list that the Saudis have had for a while (some of it indeed already announced under Obama in 2015), but that they probably can't afford because of falling oil prices.

The biggest issue imo is still North Korea. The Trump administration is obviously very worried about the NK government's attempts to develop ICBM nukes, hence the deployment of three carriers (plus Japan's helicopter carrier) off the Korean Peninsula. Trump started off hot, but since then it is mostly Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis that has been making threats against North Korea.
Original Position is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #6877
BroadwaySushy
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: In a basket of deplorables
Posts: 3,237
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
No I KNOW he has me on ignore, which is a whole separate bizarre topic for the particular structure of this particular forum, but I mainly meant he's lying about why he has me on ignore and how bizarre that lie is considering it's all written down and saved.
Advanced ProTip: Don't sweat it brah.
BroadwaySushy is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 04:45 AM   #6878
batair
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
batair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: idiocracy
Posts: 16,806
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwaySushy View Post
Trump's trolling of the media is genius level imo. Everyone thinks he's this big dummy but in actual fact he's playing them for all they're worth and it's driving them crazy.
He seems just as dumb when he is on the official government channel fox.
batair is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:02 AM   #6879
BroadwaySushy
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: In a basket of deplorables
Posts: 3,237
Re: President Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/o...democrats.html

Quote:
The Democrats just got skunked four to nothing in races they excitedly thought they could win because everyone they hang with hates Trump
Dumb huh?
BroadwaySushy is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #6880
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,925
Re: President Trump

Maureen Dowd is stupid. Democrats won a special election in California, so it's 1-4.

I love that Republicans think "This is fine" when they win districts by 6 points that they are used to winning by 25.
13ball is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #6881
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,797
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
I think it's hard to tell for sure and it's dependent on where you live. From what I've read it seems it's from approx 16-35k.

I know there have been documented cases of people where I live far jng over 100k and living in section 8 housing, which is just inconceivable to me but it happens.
so food stamps plus free housing ~= 16k? is that one you mean? seems a reasonable approximation.

but is that really a life worth living? for some ppl sure. but I would imagine all but a very small fraction of ppl would much prefer to work a job to create a better life.
Victor is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #6882
2OutsNoProb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BK, NY
Posts: 15,997
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
Maureen Dowd is stupid. Democrats won a special election in California, so it's 1-4.

I love that Republicans think "This is fine" when they win districts by 6 points that they are used to winning by 25.
Also, even though it's a much smaller batch of potatoes, but Dems flipped a NH State House of Reps seat, and a NYS Assembly seat in Long Island in a district won easily by Trump.

Quote:
The Democrats just got skunked four to nothing in races they excitedly thought they could win because everyone they hang with hates Trump
Winning House seats held by R incumbents in Kansas, Georgia, South Carolina, and Montana is very impressive.

By the way, through 155 days, having the House in R favor by a wide margin has accomplished absolutely nothing.
2OutsNoProb is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #6883
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

I'm sure welfare can create some weird incentives, especially near cutoff points for benefits, but I don't know enough specifics about the programs to comment further.

It would be pretty ridiculous to use this as an argument for reducing or getting rid of welfare though.
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #6884
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
so food stamps plus free housing ~= 16k? is that one you mean? seems a reasonable approximation.

but is that really a life worth living? for some ppl sure. but I would imagine all but a very small fraction of ppl would much prefer to work a job to create a better life.
You are making a fundamental mistake in thinking what you consider acceptable is what another person will consider as acceptable.

How could you or me possibly imagine the life of an uneducated, unskilled person? If you didn't graduate high school and went to jail for 5 years, what would you consider acceptable?

I know many poor people and I've sat and talked with them and had long conversations. I'm very friendly with a homeless Vietnam vet who I've known for 15 years, he hangs out in front of the bar I drink at. I give him 5 bucks every night I see him and he keeps an eye on my car for me and used to run to the store if I ever needed cigarettes back when I used to smoke (I would give him 10 dollars to do it). He's disabled and uneducated and went through hell and back. What could you or me possibly determine what kind of life he considers acceptable?

It's amazing how ignorant 2+2ers are. Yes, if i lived his life I might consider suicide, but I sure as hell don't pretend to assume he feels the same way.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #6885
BitchiBee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 24,622
Re: President Trump

is 16k/year a life worth living????? lolololol

the idea that welfare doesn't disincentive work is just ludicrous. Puerto Rico is the best example.
BitchiBee is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #6886
2OutsNoProb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BK, NY
Posts: 15,997
Re: President Trump

That's actually a pretty good post by Wil. Some people's situation is bad enough that they have accepted not needing much.
2OutsNoProb is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #6887
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post
I'm sure welfare can create some weird incentives, especially near cutoff points for benefits, but I don't know enough specifics about the programs to comment further.

It would be pretty ridiculous to use this as an argument for reducing or getting rid of welfare though.
If you made 7.50 an hour and don't really see a way how you could make more than that, I wouldn't be sure you would feel the same way.

After taxes min wage would be, what? 250 a week? What could you do with 250 a week? What kind of housing and clothing and food could you possibly afford on 1000 a month?

The very idea of it is absurd, yet you speculate if someone views welfare as a decent way to live?
wil318466 is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #6888
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,925
Re: President Trump

Quote:
In an interview with Fox and Friends that aired Sunday morning, President Donald Trump decried “the level of hostility” Democrats show him and suggested their new theme should be “let’s get together, envelop.”
Yet right after saying this, he wrote off Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) as a “hopeless case.”
“I call her Pocahontas,” Trump said, “and that’s an insult to Pocahontas.”
Also, "envelop" does not mean to come together. It means to surround completely.
13ball is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #6889
Trolly McTrollson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 31,699
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
I'm very friendly with a homeless Vietnam vet who I've known for 15 years, he hangs out in front of the bar I drink at. I give him 5 bucks every night I see him and he keeps an eye on my car for me and used to run to the store if I ever needed cigarettes back when I used to smoke (I would give him 10 dollars to do it).
Starting to think wil has an unorthodox definition of what "friend" means.
Trolly McTrollson is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #6890
BroadwaySushy
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: In a basket of deplorables
Posts: 3,237
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
Maureen Dowd is stupid. Democrats won a special election in California, so it's 1-4.

I love that Republicans think "This is fine" when they win districts by 6 points that they are used to winning by 25.
A W is a W bro. Doesn't matter what the margin is. Remember the GE.

And we're not sick of winning yet, not by a longshot.
BroadwaySushy is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #6891
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

I love how wil just like attacks from ANY direction no matter how nonsensical it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
You are making a fundamental mistake in thinking what you consider acceptable is what another person will consider as acceptable.

How could you or me possibly imagine the life of an uneducated, unskilled person? If you didn't graduate high school and went to jail for 5 years, what would you consider acceptable?

I know many poor people and I've sat and talked with them and had long conversations. I'm very friendly with a homeless Vietnam vet who I've known for 15 years, he hangs out in front of the bar I drink at. I give him 5 bucks every night I see him and he keeps an eye on my car for me and used to run to the store if I ever needed cigarettes back when I used to smoke (I would give him 10 dollars to do it). He's disabled and uneducated and went through hell and back. What could you or me possibly determine what kind of life he considers acceptable?

It's amazing how ignorant 2+2ers are. Yes, if i lived his life I might consider suicide, but I sure as hell don't pretend to assume he feels the same way.
5ive is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #6892
BroadwaySushy
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: In a basket of deplorables
Posts: 3,237
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
Also, "envelop" does not mean to come together. It means to surround completely.
Yeah, he's right about Warren. The Dems should dump her, she's toxic.

Along with Pelosi.
BroadwaySushy is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #6893
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OutsNoProb View Post
That's actually a pretty good post by Wil. Some people's situation is bad enough that they have accepted not needing much.
Sure, until you realize he wants to take all of it away from those people.
5ive is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #6894
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

AHAHA WTF LITERALLY LIKE THREE POSTS LATER...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
If you made 7.50 an hour and don't really see a way how you could make more than that, I wouldn't be sure you would feel the same way.

After taxes min wage would be, what? 250 a week? What could you do with 250 a week? What kind of housing and clothing and food could you possibly afford on 1000 a month?

The very idea of it is absurd, yet you speculate if someone views welfare as a decent way to live?
5ive is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #6895
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

Ok, that's so insane I must've misread more than a few things. Going in for the reread.

edit: Ok, I didn't technically misread it but I didn't take into full account how much gorilla math wil was using to arrive at a MW salary always being lower than DAT WELFARE THO.
5ive is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #6896
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwaySushy View Post
Advanced ProTip: Don't sweat it brah.
Dr. Goodall doesn't sweat, even in the tropical jungle.
5ive is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #6897
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OutsNoProb View Post
Some people's situation is bad enough that they have accepted not needing much.
What I've seen on the high end has made me actually embarrassed. I was in a situation where the group I work in was going to be laid off due to a merger. The guys I work with were outraged we weren't offered a retention bonus to stay until the end of the year (even though the company guaranteed we would all receive a full bonus no matter what happens). They wanted to call for a meeting and demand a 50k cash bonus for each of us for the next 6 months of work on top of our regular salary, full bonus, and severance (multiple weeks paid cash for every year of service at the company). I sat and watched these people complain endlessly, while I sat there very quietly. Finally one of them said "Wil, what do you think?" I said "I grew up poor, so what you guys are even saying is completely foreign to me. If you really think we can get it, go for it." I went home and asked my wife what she thought because I was so incredulous. She said "white people are so entitled. Don't be surprised if you get it". 5 days later I received a letter asking me to sign an agreement that I would accept 40k as an acceptable retention.

Think about that for a second. People I worked with were OUTRAGED they weren't offered extra money to do their regular job responsibilities. I burst out laughing out of joy and signed it.

I've heard endless stories about situations like this. A good friend of mine who worked at Goldman Sachs told me his manager quit on the spot because he "only" received a bonus of 75k, on top of his 100k salary. Granted, he was expecting 250k as a bonus, but still. I was dumbfounded.

What one person considers as "acceptable" is wildly different than another. I don't understand why so many people scoff at the idea that someone would consider welfare as acceptable.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #6898
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

You dudes let this dude sneak attack you from the left.
5ive is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #6899
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,751
Re: President Trump

Also, all that **** was made up but come on now you all had to know that, right? The successful sneak attack still counts.
5ive is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #6900
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson View Post
Starting to think wil has an unorthodox definition of what "friend" means.
I said I was friendly with him. We are not "friends" in a meaningful sense. He doesn't have my phone number and we don't go to each other's houses. He does, however, know me by name and knows about my family and life situation. I try to help him every time I see him and I hand him 20-50 dollars during Christmas and his birthday.

He does tell me it's his birthday 2-4 times a year, though. We both laugh when he pulls that move and I give him a few extra bucks.
wil318466 is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive