Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Politics version 7.0 more politics.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #6101
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
If you believe that women are paid less than men, I think you are the one who "needs to snap out of it". My wife makes more money than I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post
lol, solid evidence
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
What's the issue? I should have expanded on it more and it was sloppy in the way I was using it but I've seen quite a bit when it comes to female success. My wife has a circle of 4 women. They are all more successful, financially, than their husbands. It is becoming way more common now due to many factors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/30/bu...tudy-says.html

Four in 10 American households with children under age 18 now include a mother who is either the sole or primary earner for her family, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of Census and polling data released Wednesday. This share, the highest on record, has quadrupled since 1960.

Also, let's talk about unmarried, childless females. Gee, I wonder how THEY are doing?

http://content.time.com/time/busines...015274,00.html

according to a new analysis of 2,000 communities by a market research company, in 147 out of 150 of the biggest cities in the U.S., the median full-time salaries of young women are 8% higher than those of the guys in their peer group.


And, what is causing it? Gee, maybe it's what I've been saying all along!


Here's the slightly deflating caveat: this reverse gender gap, as it's known, applies only to unmarried, childless women under 30 who live in cities. The rest of working women — even those of the same age, but who are married or don't live in a major metropolitan area — are still on the less scenic side of the wage divide.

Women are not paid less than men. Women make different CHOICES than men. Children are also a huge negative on their money-making ability. Gee, that was REALLY hard to figure out!

Yet the leftists believe this crap hook, line, and sinker. They truly believe that women are paid less than men. It's completely absurdity. If I started my own business and I could pay women less for the same work I'd ONLY HIRE WOMEN! What company wouldn't? Their profit margin would increase immediately if they only hired women they could pay less and their managers would get insane bonuses for increasing their profits!
The issue is that the fact that your wife makes more than you is not evidence of anything, it's literally a sample size of one, and it's ridiculous that you would state it in your post as if it actually backs up what you are saying.

The issue is with your evidence, not your conclusion. I don't believe women are paid 23% less for the same work and I think anyone who does believe that is grossly misinterpreting that statistic.
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #6102
JiggyMac
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,809
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post
I don't believe women are paid 23% less for the same work and I think anyone who does believe that is grossly misinterpreting that statistic.
Yes, I agree that Obama grossly misinterpreted the statistic.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...7-cents-dolla/

The pay gap might be 5% - 7% that can be explained by gender:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap - but I think this could even be a stretch and not take into different factors between the genders (negotiating skill, breadwinner status, etc...).

Of course Liberals do have a long history of gender wage gaps within their own organizations - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-gap-at-found/
JiggyMac is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #6103
JiggyMac
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,809
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
Yeah, that's what happened. All the evil Republicans from a few years ago turned good. Then all the good Democrats turned evil. Completely plausible.
No, Marixists have always been Marxists. The party of slavery, turned into the party of segregation, turned into the party of identity politics, and plantation owners have simply become the mayors of large cities. Nothing new here.
JiggyMac is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #6104
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
If I believed women would make 23% less than men, I would NOT be spending the amount of money I currently am on her education. Why would I bother if I knew she would never be paid equally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post
...lol for ****s sake are you dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
What's the problem here? What is wrong with my logic?

...

What, exactly, is your issue with my statement? Of course I wouldn't pour so much of my resources into my daughter if I thought she would not be paid accordingly. If I knew she was destined to get screwed over by society I wouldn't even bother.

What is controversial about that?
Your statement is essentially "if I knew my daughter would be disadvantaged by society (to the tune of receiving 77% of fair compensation for whatever she did) I would give up on her development entirely"

This makes no sense because, even if she would be paid unfairly, she would be better off educated rather than uneducated. According to bls.gov, the median earnings for men working full time by education level are approximately:
<High School = $27k
High School = $39k
Some college = $45k
Bachelor's = $65k
Advanced = $85k

So, let's assume for the sake of argument that the figures for a woman would be 77% of that, i.e.
<High School = $21k
High School = $30k
Some college = $35k
Bachelor's = $50k
Advanced = $65k

As you may know, $65k > $21k, thus it doesn't seem logical to stop your daughter's education in this case.
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #6105
JiggyMac
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,809
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post
Your statement is essentially "if I knew my daughter would be disadvantaged by society (to the tune of receiving 77% of fair compensation for whatever she did) I would give up on her development entirely"

This makes no sense because, even if she would be paid unfairly, she would be better off educated rather than uneducated. According to bls.gov, the median earnings for men working full time by education level are approximately:
<High School = $27k
High School = $39k
Some college = $45k
Bachelor's = $65k
Advanced = $85k

So, let's assume for the sake of argument that the figures for a woman would be 77% of that, i.e.
<High School = $21k
High School = $30k
Some college = $35k
Bachelor's = $50k
Advanced = $65k

As you may know, $65k > $21k, thus it doesn't seem logical to stop your daughter's education in this case.
The hyperbole, you have missed it.
JiggyMac is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #6106
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggyMac View Post
Yes, I agree that Obama grossly misinterpreted the statistic.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...7-cents-dolla/
Who cares? This is the TRUMP thread. Not that this derail has really been about TRUMP but the sins of Obama or Lincoln or Washington are completely irrelevant here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggyMac View Post
The pay gap might be 5% - 7% that can be explained by gender:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap - but I think this could even be a stretch and not take into different factors between the genders (negotiating skill, breadwinner status, etc...).
Um, if it's explained by "different factors between the genders" then it is explained by gender? If you control for all the differences then obviously it will be the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggyMac View Post
Of course Liberals do have a long history of gender wage gaps within their own organizations - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-gap-at-found/
Who gives a **** about Hillary Clinton?
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #6107
BitchiBee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 24,622
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggyMac View Post
No, Marixists have always been Marxists. The party of slavery, turned into the party of segregation, turned into the party of identity politics, and plantation owners have simply become the mayors of large cities. Nothing new here.
thats just a simplistic reading of american history

I think hes referring to the moralism imbedded in politcs, instead the evanglicons on the right we now have these social constructionists on the left
BitchiBee is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #6108
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggyMac View Post
The hyperbole, you have missed it.
Uh, I have not missed it. I'm not sure why you purport to speak for wil here but if I misinterpret his statements I'm sure he can defend himself.

Like, I realize he's not threatening to pull his daughter out of kindergarten tomorrow or whatever but even allowing for some exaggeration his statement makes zero sense, because, as explained, even if she would be paid unequally compared to men she would still make much more with a lot of education than she would with little education.
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #6109
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchiBee View Post
thats just a simplistic reading of american history

I think hes referring to the moralism of the political sides in the, instead the evanglicons on the right we now have these social constructionists on the left
Political Evanglicons missing, unknown, HES constructionists now simple moral principles, they will remain in the history of the United States of America, the American society cannot read.
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #6110
JiggyMac
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,809
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post


Um, if it's explained by "different factors between the genders" then it is explained by gender? If you control for all the differences then obviously it will be the same?
The implication by those who hide behind the wage gap is that it is discrimination, not choice - which is what I was refuting.
JiggyMac is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #6111
BitchiBee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 24,622
Re: President Trump

sorry if a lack of proof reading on 2p2 offends you so much
BitchiBee is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #6112
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Meh, I think it's clear that there is some discrimination but I agree with you that it's extent is overstated.
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #6113
JiggyMac
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,809
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post
Uh, I have not missed it. I'm not sure why you purport to speak for wil here but if I misinterpret his statements I'm sure he can defend himself.

Like, I realize he's not threatening to pull his daughter out of kindergarten tomorrow or whatever but even allowing for some exaggeration his statement makes zero sense, because, as explained, even if she would be paid unequally compared to men she would still make much more with a lot of education than she would with little education.
You concede it was an exaggeration. Great!

To be fair, our societies at one point did prefer marrying off daughters as opposed to investing in their education. I'm sure the wage gap was larger than 23% at that point, but we're not so far removed from that era. For reference, look up China's one child policy and imbalance between men and women in their population.
JiggyMac is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #6114
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchiBee View Post
sorry if a lack of proof reading on 2p2 offends you so much
Sorry, but contrary to the lack of evidence of 2 p 2: (
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #6115
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggyMac View Post
You concede it was an exaggeration. Great!

To be fair, our societies at one point did prefer marrying off daughters as opposed to investing in their education. I'm sure the wage gap was larger than 23% at that point, but we're not so far removed from that era. For reference, look up China's one child policy and imbalance between men and women in their population.
This is all completely irrelevant to the fact that wil's point makes no sense, and really irrelevant to the entire discussion at large.
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #6116
JiggyMac
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,809
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post
Meh, I think it's clear that there is some discrimination but I agree with you that it's extent is overstated.
It is not clear that there is systemic discrimination - which is illegal, btw.

And we should NOT be sending out a message to the women who want to succeed that they are at a societal disadvantage because even though the law protects them, the Left continues to push the farce of victimhood.
JiggyMac is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #6117
TiltedDonkey
veteran
 
TiltedDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,977
Re: President Trump

Cool beans.
TiltedDonkey is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #6118
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
Yeah, that's what happened. All the evil Republicans from a few years ago turned good. Then all the good Democrats turned evil. Completely plausible.
The left did a really good job if shutting up the right.

It really isn't that difficult to understand.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #6119
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedDonkey View Post
Like, I realize he's not threatening to pull his daughter out of kindergarten tomorrow or whatever but even allowing for some exaggeration his statement makes zero sense, because, as explained, even if she would be paid unequally compared to men she would still make much more with a lot of education than she would with little education.
I love posts like these. I mean, I tell you what I'd do and your response is "no you wouldn't".

Lol, if I knew my child would be at a disadvantage I wouldn't bother. I've evrn supported this argument by giving examples in countries where the same behavior happens, and your response is still the same.

Yes, I'm being honest, if she would be paid 77 cents on the dollar I wouldn't bother. Who cares, I would worry more about marrying her off or starting a business for her so she can make a living.

What I wouldn't do is place her in a game where she can't win. Only a fool would do that. You maximize the choices you have for success, in almost all cases.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #6120
spanktehbadwookie
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
spanktehbadwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: River Region
Posts: 19,376
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
The left did a really good job if shutting up the right.

It really isn't that difficult to understand.
So the right was so weak that the left was able to shut them up? How did it go down?
spanktehbadwookie is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #6121
goofyballer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
goofyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 70,901
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
What I wouldn't do is place her in a game where she can't win. Only a fool would do that.
This runs entirely contrary to your "nobody's stopping me from doing whatever job I want and being successful" nonsense. Doesn't that apply to your daughter too? Even if women got paid less, what's stopping her from being Marissa Mayer that you just throw your hands up and give up on her?
goofyballer is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #6122
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanktehbadwookie View Post
So the right was so weak that the left was able to shut them up? How did it go down?
Weakness had nothing to do with it. The left found a new weapon that the right hand no answer to.

The combination of social media, virtue signalling and public shaming all converged into calling someone a racist or a sexist or a bigot into the end of their lives. People became very cognizant of this fact. If you are called a racist, you risk losing everything. You can lose your job, your kids, your family, your ability to support yourself, your friends. It happened many times publicly and changed people's behavior.

It is actually dangerous for you profoessionally and socially to be labelled a racist. Virtue signalling made the issue worse because leftists thrive by denouncing people so they can make themselves look good. Like a sick Munchausen by proxy.

The left gained the upper hand and the right sat there and took it because they had no way to fight back. What the right should do is start calling the left communists or socialists, but that's not up to me.

We'll see how it all shakes out.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #6123
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyballer View Post
This runs entirely contrary to your "nobody's stopping me from doing whatever job I want and being successful" nonsense. Doesn't that apply to your daughter too? Even if women got paid less, what's stopping her from being Marissa Mayer that you just throw your hands up and give up on her?
Melissa Mayer is a prime example of a woman who can be whatever they want. You are proving my point. I do NOT believe women are treated unequally, and we have plenty of examples and data that show they aren't. I don't believe she'll be underpaid so I invest in her education just as I would if she were a male.

Nothing is contradicting my point. If you're a black midget Muslim lesbian then go become a dermatologist. You'll be fine, you will be successful. Do not believe evil white people will stop you, because they won't, because they CAN'T.

What's the issue? What don't you understand? Should we talk about water being wet next?
wil318466 is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #6124
goofyballer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
goofyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 70,901
Re: President Trump

I don't understand why, if women were paid less, you would pull out all investment in your daughter's education rather than believing that she could do whatever she wanted regardless of disadvantages, as that seems to be your guiding philosophy to anyone in situations of disadvantage.
goofyballer is offline  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #6125
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,155
Re: President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyballer View Post
I don't understand why, if women were paid less, you would pull out all investment in your daughter's education rather than believing that she could do whatever she wanted regardless of disadvantages, as that seems to be your guiding philosophy to anyone in situations of disadvantage.
Because it would be a waste of resources if they couldn't become what they wanted and treated fairly. This happens all across the world in places that are extremely sexist. I've given examples. The Chinese aborted females. Afghans dressed their daughters as boys.

What the **** is so hard to understand​ here?
wil318466 is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive