Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Politics version 7.0 more politics.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 03:11 AM   #126
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,790
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshk View Post
My theory is that it's the best way he's found to consistently get attention here on 2p2, by acting like a weirdo. So he's nourished that skill, because his regular life isn't all it could be at this point.
A little below the belt, but I like a good fight. Juan, insult his mother or something!
leavesofliberty is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #127
kioshk
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: now Watergate does not bother me
Posts: 90,168
Re: Gender studies

I'm talking to Spaceman. Juan I don't know or care about. Not really sure about you either, Leaves. I think I'll call that good right there for this thread.
kioshk is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #128
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,790
Re: Gender studies

Thread was dead a long time ago.

And kioshk, not sure about you either, and we're all unsure of each other, and blah blah blah. Make a point! Anyone!

I mean, what have you actually added?

Last edited by leavesofliberty; 01-18-2017 at 06:42 AM.
leavesofliberty is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #129
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,790
Re: Gender studies

13ball and 'well named' clearly brought better arguments while gs isn't my cup of tea, very unimpressed by the other side of the argument. Very tilting to have links that didn't work.
leavesofliberty is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #130
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,003
Re: Gender studies

so far the only argument i have heard is that they don't know what is taught in gender studies. ok but thats not an argument, thats a plea of ignorance
juan valdez is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #131
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,169
Re: Gender studies

What's up with Bryce and why is his name in purple?
wil318466 is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #132
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,828
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
so far the only argument i have heard is that they don't know what is taught in gender studies. ok but thats not an argument, thats a plea of ignorance
You don't know what is taught in gender studies.

Your argument is weak and imprecise. Is everything taught in gender studies "anti-scientific"? That seems incredibly doubtful. Most of what is taught in gender studies is probably non-scientific. Is reading The Scarlet Letter and discussing the role of gender anti-scientific? Not at all.
13ball is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #133
chezlaw
Limey Bastard
 
chezlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Posts: 32,949
Re: Gender studies

Reminder to all that this is not a thread
chezlaw is online now  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #134
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
Are you be weird for effect or is that just how you roll?

If you have something interesting to add, nobody is stopping you
I'm at work and don't have time to type stuff because I actually work. This is so infuriating , I already did add something interesting and no one is willing to talk about it at all. That's not right.
spaceman Bryce is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #135
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
What's up with Bryce and why is his name in purple?
I'm more open than 99.9% of posters on 2p2 so if you want to know something about me just ask.
spaceman Bryce is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #136
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavesofliberty View Post
13ball and 'well named' clearly brought better arguments while gs isn't my cup of tea, very unimpressed by the other side of the argument. Very tilting to have links that didn't work.
Why is it 13balls and well namesake posts count as arguments but I'm ignored. Maybe you should ask why you're being weird and I'm the normal one because that's not even close to fair.
spaceman Bryce is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #137
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Gender studies

Gotta go but if you want to know something about me just ask!!!!!
spaceman Bryce is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #138
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 73,221
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman Bryce View Post
Gotta go but if you want to know something about me just ask!!!!!
I'm inferring that you've taken some gender studies courses. Would you mind describing them a little bit in outline? What were the topics, what disciplines did the instructor draw on, what did you think was interesting/important/worth knowing...
well named is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #139
Oroku$aki
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Oroku$aki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Blithe
Posts: 6,288
Re: Gender studies

Guy's a fkn nut.
Oroku$aki is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #140
formula72
veteran
 
formula72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,223
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman Bryce View Post
Gotta go but if you want to know something about me just ask!!!!!
What mental issues are you dealing with and what prescriptions are you taking for them?
formula72 is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #141
wil318466
banned
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 19,169
Re: Gender studies

Heh.
wil318466 is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #142
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,790
Re: Gender studies

I'm all ears spaceman. Thread needs someone who's taken it. You can get the gist of it from wikipedia, which has real world impact in multiple professions, which is what college is for imho.
leavesofliberty is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #143
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
I'm inferring that you've taken some gender studies courses. Would you mind describing them a little bit in outline? What were the topics, what disciplines did the instructor draw on, what did you think was interesting/important/worth knowing...
I'd like to talk all about my experience with gender studies, why I think it's an important discipline , and why I think my opinion matters but I'm worried it's just a trick. Because no on wants to talk to me about issues they just want to debate my mental state. So I would really like to type out a few paragraphs , but first I want you to promise you'll actually respond instead of just saying I'm weird or posting a picture. You don't have to agree with me but just act normal. Ok thanks.
spaceman Bryce is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #144
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Gender studies

Anyway I'll type something good about it when I get back to home.
spaceman Bryce is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #145
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,790
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman Bryce View Post
I'd like to talk all about my experience with gender studies, why I think it's an important discipline , and why I think my opinion matters but I'm worried it's just a trick. Because no on wants to talk to me about issues they just want to debate my mental state. So I would really like to type out a few paragraphs , but first I want you to promise you'll actually respond instead of just saying I'm weird or posting a picture. You don't have to agree with me but just act normal. Ok thanks.
You can PM me if you prefer. I can't speak for the others but I'm not going to pick on you for your state of mind.
leavesofliberty is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #146
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 73,221
Re: Gender studies

Bryce: I promise to respond without calling you weird or posting a picture.
well named is offline  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #147
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,828
Re: Gender studies

The weird ones are the people who expect a man from space to act the same as everyone else.
13ball is offline  
Old 01-19-2017, 12:51 AM   #148
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Gender studies

I never did that well at school and avoided classes a lot. I barely did homework. The only reason I graduated high school was because of good test scores.
I never enjoyed school, At the moment of typing there's very few things I can look back fondly on in school.
Most of my cousins and siblings did very well and went to good schools like georgetown and university of virginia and NYU.
After receiving a D in high school chemistry I was able to sneak into Kansas state. I liked the idea of going to kansas state because it was the furthest college from my parents house that I could go to and because I felt it would be neat to find myself
and that I would magically grow up or change because I knew I needed to change a lot. But i didn't grow up or change I only got worse.
Keep in mind I was in a huge state school but unlike high school I couldn't find anyone I felt close to at all. A lot of days i would just drink until there was nothing
left of me and i could just go back to sleep. I missed out on everything even though tuition was whatever it was, about 10k. So Ialways ended upconcentrating on my own problems and issues
with myself which leads to a pretty dark place and I was an english major I majored in english for a year I went to a few of my classes but mostly skipped finals. At this time I was mainly writing miniture stories to myself
and reading horror novels . eventually I had retreated so far within myself that all I did was drink I destroyed what was left of me I won that battle.
This was after a period of high school where I mainly met guys on the internet to escape high school. I have always had problems connecting to people I want to connect to but yes that was my main past time for a long time

And at that time I would always think to myself a combination of confused thoughts and a lot of self hating and one thing I would think is why are you sleeping with guys you meet on the internet if you aren't gay. It's important to understand that this is what I would actually do
and it's amazing I didn't get into really big trouble. After thinking about it for a long time I came to accept that the main thing that makes you attracted to the same sex is if you're attracted to the same sex.
But if you unpack it it all makes sense, I didn't really have any close friends after pete moved so I never did what I wanted to do
or talked about things I wanted to talk about. I had grown up in kansas as the black sheep. I was the cousin no one talked about. I was the cousin that didn't get invited anywhere.
I had grown so far away from everyone that no one trusted me and I didn't trust them so I had to create my own relationships because no one listened to me about anything.
Most of my best conversations from that point on were with my families friends instead of bryce's friends because bryce's friends stopped existing and then I couldn't build real relationships anymore.
I had been gay the whole time but had never come to terms with that and other things about myself. I do think theres a lot of people who grew up in the suburbs that would go down as dark a path that I did
would have killed themselves; sometimes I felt like a shadow following the real bryce and I would hope the real bryce was going to do something good. Well im 31 now, it never happened. Things don't just happen to anyone.

Yes I do think gender studies is really important for the future of the earth for many reasons. For one thing people need to have a better understanding of the role gender, sexual orientation, and geographic inequality
have for themselves and for others. One thing I remember learning about during my brief time being enrolled in a women's studies course is how awful women are treated in societies and how those societies in turn become awful. Like here's a thought that interconnects everything. In many countries
women regularly have 5-6 kids but in those countries they don't have very many rights. Like 90% of the women in the world who have 8 kids cant read and most of those women aren't allowed to read. This in turn leads to men deciding familysize often
over prioritizing the importance of their own lineage. This leads to no independent life for the mother, lower prospects for her offspring, greater population and ethnic conflict.
In fact all developed countries with women's rights do not have a fertility rate above 3. This will make living standards higher and more stable for everyone and save the environment all at the same time.
It also creates better societies even for men because if women have better opportuniites to run businesses and make their own choices those countries overall wealth will be higher. Also I felt kind of out of place the whole time and didn't feel like I could share my stories at the time

One thing about gender studies discussions is they cant really be complete if men aren't involved in those discussions too. SO what I'm saying is I think it's important that straight white guys become much more informed about the effects of abuse
, discrimination, lack of opportunity. I also think it would help if straight guys actually took an interest in women's sexuality and lgbt sexuality so theycould get more perspectives and understand that they are ebing judged too and to become comfortable with that.

I feel like I have lived this experience so I feel like that's why I understand the importance of it. And also I have had to talk about it instead of not talking about it.

The only alternative to studying these issues is the old way. a lot of people have false romantic notions about the old way but for a long time for a thousand years there were pools of hitlers leading large groups of men who represented their progency to battle other pools of men to their death.
women and children were treated as cattle. This all sounds ok to a certain type of guy until he realizes that he would just be another guy fighting to death in a war that will never end. And no there isn't a middle ground. You can't say I think some people should be kind of equal but not all the way because there is always another
evil one waiting to take hold of the fears and nostalgia that is left over.
spaceman Bryce is offline  
Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 AM   #149
StevenPoke
adept
 
StevenPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 811
Gender studies

From my brief foray into a gender studies class: It's all men's fault. Especially white men.
StevenPoke is online now  
Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 AM   #150
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPoke View Post
From my brief foray into a gender studies class: It's all men's fault. Especially white men.
I actually think it's because white men do not join into any of these kinds of discusions unless forced.
spaceman Bryce is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online