Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Winning Poker Network Sponsored Support forum for AmericasCardroom, BlackChip Poker, and Truepoker.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #2101
Bongfellow
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 374
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

^^

I think phase tournaments would work out really, really well for WPN. Maybe do an $11,$66, and $215 to all culminate on Sunday, prize pools would be huge.
Bongfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #2102
a dewd
adept
 
a dewd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: west of the easternmost pt up north
Posts: 822
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Satty OD games for pure tourney bucks. Accumulate them and then use them to entire games of choice. Might bring some smaller stake players into bigger games and build their confidence. It could give a micro player the ability to play in medium stakes + games.

Like mentioned above, the 7.5K SKO PLO on Saturday night should definitely draw interest with any satellite.
a dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 AM   #2103
OhScissorMe
newbie
 
OhScissorMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 34
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Does anyone know if there will be WSOP main event sattys this year?
OhScissorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #2104
STLNolaWoj
journeyman
 
STLNolaWoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: deep in the bayou
Posts: 387
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

How bout combat point sit n go's, HU, or even MTT's? I think it was PS that had this and/or carbon?

Sometimes when the roll is low its nice to still be able to play with something to gain.

Imagine a 100 point buy in mtt with 1000 entrants...thats a pretty sweet 100k point prize pool.
STLNolaWoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #2105
blobbloblob
old hand
 
blobbloblob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: @PokerIsMyJob
Posts: 1,220
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Can we get some HUMTTs?? Plz.
blobbloblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #2106
Unseemly2p2Name69
centurion
 
Unseemly2p2Name69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 102
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyJames200x View Post
Why doesnt wpn basically copy pokerstars tournament structure? I mean to those of you who play those tournaments with a 5 hour late reg, do most of you actually play these at the start? I mean the first of many levels is basically going to be useless dont you all agree? Sure you might have some players going nuts but in general, isn't it true pretty much nothing happens? So when do you guys actually reg these tournaments? Like 1 hour in? I mean i dont know how anyone can play super deep for 15 minute levels at the start.


Why doesnt wpn basically try to imitate pokerstars tournametns? I mean wpn is allowed in row and most of the us. I mean, shouldn't that mean they could get a ton of players?

I know, right, they should just make every tourney a kamikaze winner takes all.

God this thread is ridiculous.
Unseemly2p2Name69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #2107
PaulyJames200x
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,728
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

I just opened bcp after not looking at it for a while.


Can someone explain to me why they still have those long late reg? I notice many tournaments have 3 hours which seem reasonable... then many have 5 hours. Well i looked at many of these tournaments and after 7 hours... no one has even made the money yet. Is there really anyone that likes playing wpn mtt? these are basically super deep structures.


The thing is i looked at the low stakes 5 and 10 dollar tournaments on wpn. These basically take at least 10 hours to win a tournament. There is nothing wrong with that except look at the guarantees on these compared to other sites etc...
PaulyJames200x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #2108
diddy!
Twas diddyeinstein
 
diddy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,809
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

The long late reg is so the GTDs get met. Personally I like having the choice to play poker by registering early or gamble by registering late.
diddy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #2109
BOOOOM!!!!
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On the internet
Posts: 449
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Like SERIOUSLY.

Guys its been 5 YEARS since you started growing,
you guys fixed avatars, lobbies, got some growth. Good Job.

You guys fail to do the basics, like replenishing timebanks w blind levels for major tournaments. I would much prefer to have no avatar and not be able to see prizes for 18th+ place and have time to make big decisions late in a massive tourney like the milly.
PLEASE GET THIS DONE

something like 15 seconds added every 3 levels with a 120second cap would be more than sufficient. It is absurd to have to wait for a FT of a sunday million to get replenished.
BOOOOM!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:33 AM   #2110
Poker Clif
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Posts: 5,284
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Why do people play tournaments with several hours of late registration? I'll tell you why I do. I understand that I'm in the minority on this issue.

--------------

DISCLAIMER: I haven't played any of these lately. It's just too much exposure the way things have been going, too much chance of being caught in a lag or crash when I've played for several hours and I'm close to the money or the final table. I'll get back to it when I'm reasonably sure that I can play an 8-hour tournament (or longer) with no problems. At the very least, I check the ACR/WPN threads and only go for it if there has been more than a day or two with no problems.

--------------

To make it simple, I play very deep because I believe that it's the best way to maximize my profits, and because I love playing deep tournaments. I love the challenge of getting through a field of hundreds of players (or more.)

I've always liked deep structures. That probably goes back to when I could play on PokerStars and I got my first "big" cash. I played for six hours and final-tabled a $3 tournament for more than 100 buy-ins. I was hooked. I wanted big prize pools and deep structures.

When I say that playing very deep is the best way to maximize my profits, I'm in a unique situation to be able to do that. I know that doesn't apply to most of you.

I am a full-time player and completely in charge of my own schedule. I can play at 3 AM or 3 PM, it doesn't matter. The huge variance of playing those tournaments isn't a issue because our financial situation is stable. My wife has a great job with a big health care company.

Along with her job comes great insurance:, medical, dental, optical, perscriptions, the whole thing. We are far from wealthy but we are comfortable and have no debt. We have money in the bank and money set aside for retirement (my wife has had a company retirement plan for 48 years.)

I am retired military and I'm collecting that retirement pay. When my wife retires we will be able to travel cheaply (casinos, here we come) because we can catch a free ride on any military flight in the US with space available.

Given all of the above, a downswing isn't very scary. It's not really an issue anyway, because I play with at least 100 buy-ins.

I have an edge when I play very long tournaments. Many players don't prepare or know what they are getting into, or they just get tired or impatient. None of that is an issue for me. I plan everything.

I make sure that I'm rested. I often take a nap before a multi-hour tournament. Whether that tournament is live or online, I have everything covered. I have food and drink planned out. I have extra clothes available if it gets too hot or too cold. I'm in it for the long hall and I often go for a month without missing a poker hand.

That's my story, If you want to play hyper turbos or turn over a bunch of SNGs for rakeback, or if you just don't like long tournaments, do what works for you. I want a boatload of chips and a big prize pool.
Poker Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #2111
timhardawyhatesu
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,011
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Awesome to see steps for the Milly. Will unused tickets for these be able to be used for the WSOP steps whenever they start back up?
timhardawyhatesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #2112
Winning_TD
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,059
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

I would say most likely yes.

It depends how many are left over
Winning_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #2113
BOOOOM!!!!
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On the internet
Posts: 449
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Can you please create replenishing timebanks? I have had so many tournaments punted because my whole timebank is gone by the final 2 tables.

Something like 15 seconds every 3 levels or something with a 1 minute cap would be awesome.
BOOOOM!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #2114
persianpunisher
grinder
 
persianpunisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 638
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOOOM!!!! View Post
Can you please create replenishing timebanks? I have had so many tournaments punted because my whole timebank is gone by the final 2 tables.

Something like 15 seconds every 3 levels or something with a 1 minute cap would be awesome.
It only reloads on the Final Table right now, right?
persianpunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:39 AM   #2115
BOOOOM!!!!
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On the internet
Posts: 449
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianpunisher View Post
It only reloads on the Final Table right now, right?
Yes it only reloads on FT. However, oftentimes I find myself short on a timebank with 2-3 tables left when decisions are for huge amounts of equity. sometimes I lose my timebank because of taking too long on a break, or a disconnect at home, or just not noticing action early in a tournament due to many tables. I am sure I am not the only one, reg or rec, who wishes to have some time replenishment throughout the tournament.
BOOOOM!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #2116
tomuki
centurion
 
tomuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 134
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

replenishing time banks are in need indeed
tomuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #2117
PaulyJames200x
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,728
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

I took a look at the gtd tournaments on wpn. One thing i obviously noticed was how long these tournaments take. I know stars is the top site for mtt and partypoker and 888 is right behind them i believe. However is WPN probably getting close to partypoker and 888? I noticed they seem to have some nice guarantees on tournaments. However many of these tournaments seem to start really late, the daily tournaments and they end very late. Im curious but what percentage of players who play on WPN are in the US vs not the US? I would assume back then it was majority US players but now it might be much less than that?


Also i noticed a lot of those smaller buyin tournaments 11 dollars and under with say field sizes of 250 or less... those tournaments still takes at least 8 hours. Does anyone here think its just way too long etc for a small buyin tournament? I can understand that if its higher stakes but i think even medium stakes, thats very long etc. Also it seems like those big gtd tournaments take a lot longer than the huge field tournament on the other sites. Does anyone here not like this? This is one of the reasons i havent played on wpn because these tournaments seem to last way too long etc.
PaulyJames200x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #2118
Poker Clif
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Posts: 5,284
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyJames200x View Post
I took a look at the gtd tournaments on wpn. One thing i obviously noticed was how long these tournaments take. I know stars is the top site for mtt and partypoker and 888 is right behind them i believe. However is WPN probably getting close to partypoker and 888? I noticed they seem to have some nice guarantees on tournaments. However many of these tournaments seem to start really late, the daily tournaments and they end very late. Im curious but what percentage of players who play on WPN are in the US vs not the US? I would assume back then it was majority US players but now it might be much less than that?


Also i noticed a lot of those smaller buyin tournaments 11 dollars and under with say field sizes of 250 or less... those tournaments still takes at least 8 hours. Does anyone here think its just way too long etc for a small buyin tournament? I can understand that if its higher stakes but i think even medium stakes, thats very long etc. Also it seems like those big gtd tournaments take a lot longer than the huge field tournament on the other sites. Does anyone here not like this? This is one of the reasons i havent played on wpn because these tournaments seem to last way too long etc.
I disagree with you but mine is a minority opinion.

I like big prize pools and long, deep tournaments. That's partly because I can devote eight or more hours to a tournament pretty much any time I want. When I was starting out I played a $3.30 on PokerStars (4700 players if I remember correctly.) I made the final table and cashed for $384. I was hooked, and ever since I have always looked for the biggest prize pools that my bankroll would allow me to go after.

You'll find that most of the players on here will agree with you because they don't have the amount of free time that I do. I know from playing live tournaments that players get grouchy when they're still playing at 2300 and they have to go to work the next morning.
Poker Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #2119
onehandatatime
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sens nation
Posts: 1,304
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

It does take longer to get ITM on ACR than it would for a similar size field on PS obviously due to the super late reg and options to rebuy, but at the same time I think overall it's easier to get into the money for those very same reasons. I'm not saying that it's easy to get ITM, but some factors do make it IMO slightly easier than big field MTT's on PS.
onehandatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #2120
Winning_TD
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,059
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehandatatime View Post
It does take longer to get ITM on ACR than it would for a similar size field on PS obviously due to the super late reg and options to rebuy, but at the same time I think overall it's easier to get into the money for those very same reasons. I'm not saying that it's easy to get ITM, but some factors do make it IMO slightly easier than big field MTT's on PS.
This isnt 100% accurate.

If you have 1000 players that start a tournament (no late reg) and 1000 (total) at the end of a 3 hour late reg it would still take the same time depending on the structure of getting to the money (roughly)

Last edited by Winning_TD; 11-09-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Winning_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #2121
a dewd
adept
 
a dewd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: west of the easternmost pt up north
Posts: 822
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

I miss the GI60 MTTs. Freezeout and 1R/1A are good alternatives to long registration; although, they are not likely to fill up a 100K+ purse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
a dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #2122
zoogenhiem
adept
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 930
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

GI60M were a great tournaments. Unfortunelty they just weren't popular as they'd cancel often. But that just means they are starting too deepstacked.
zoogenhiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:09 AM   #2123
Poker Clif
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Posts: 5,284
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehandatatime View Post
It does take longer to get ITM on ACR than it would for a similar size field on PS obviously due to the super late reg and options to rebuy, but at the same time I think overall it's easier to get into the money for those very same reasons. I'm not saying that it's easy to get ITM, but some factors do make it IMO slightly easier than big field MTT's on PS.
I agree completely. It's a huge advantage when I'm prepared to play longer than other players at my table. When I'm playing, either live or online, I'm prepared for whatever might happen and for however long it might take.

My first live win was when I bet small on every head-ups hand. My tired opponent started betting bigger and bigger just to get it over with. After an hour I was just waiting to catch a big hand. I got pocket tens and minraised, he shoved and that was my first live win.

I don't play when I'm tired. If I'm at home I have food ready to grab that is not too messy to touch when I'm using a keyboard, for example, a hot dog bun or meat on a plate that I have cut into pieces that I can stab with a fork. If I'm playing live, I have clothes in my bag in case it's hotter or colder that expected in the room. I saw someone in my local charity room get very distracted when she was seated near a door in the winter (I live in Michigan.)

As to the rebuy thing, I agree again. For a while I avoided them because I thought they were a money pit. But after playing a few online recently, I don't think that any more. My five biggest online cashes in the last two months have all come from rebuy tournaments. I know how important it is to make it to the add-on. Recreational players don't.

Deepstack tournaments are all I want to play. In my world, turbo is a swear word.
Poker Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #2124
PaulyJames200x
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,728
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

Poker Clif, im curious but what sites do you play tournaments on? Is it only on wpn? Or do you play on other sites? Like bovada?


As for the players wanting to play long hours vs short hours... the thing is many mtt players session are usually going to be 8-12 hours long assuming they go deep. However, the thing is if players have a choice of stars vs wpn, i would have to say most would choose stars not only because of the bigger prizepool, but because it doesn't take that long to be in the money. I could understand deep stack tournaments if its mid stakes but if its low stakes or less... i can't imagine very much ppl wanting to play it. I know the low stakes tournaments do have deep stacks but its only when its those series etc.


For example, im from the us but im outside the us. Thus i could play on stars and non-us unlike americans in the us. I have taken a look at the tournaments on wpn... and my first thoughts are... these tournaments take way too long. For example a 11 dollar tournament with 300 players shouldn't take more than 6 hours. There are 5 dollar tournaments that take 7 hours when there are less than 300 players. I notice some tournaments have a 5 hour late reg. I honestly think this is not good because if thats the case... that means 6 hours or 7 hours to make the money? That seems insane unless its like those big series tournaments etc. Most tournaments do seem to have 3 hour late registration which is fine. But i think it should be a bit shorter but thats not a big deal. I notice some tournaments on wpn that seem to have good value and prize pool but the issue is these last way too long.


Another thing to add to this is almost every tournament is a rebuy. I mean who really likes this. For example im taking a look at some tournaments that seem like good value for low stakes players. The 11 dollar 7500 gtd is definitely good value. But these take way too long. Also if you take a look at other value tournaments on wpn... they take close to 10 hours. That is insane in my opinion. In live mtt i know that you could make day 2 and still not make the money etc.


The other thing is assuming a table is competent... playing 200bb deep is really pointless as the pots don't matter that much unless you have a maniac at the table. If its all regs, well most likely not much big pots will happen. Sometimes i open few of wpn tables and look at the play early on. There is rarely big pots going on early in these wpn tournaments. Now obviously turbos are different as they are fast tournaments. But regular speed tournaments are the most popular. Also i believe bovada tournaments have good structures right? I know for sure the bovada tournaments doesn't take as long as wpn.
PaulyJames200x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #2125
Winning_TD
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,059
Re: WPN Multi-Table Tournament discussion thread

I could go into detail regarding your post but the most important thing to say here is:

The reason there is good value and good prizepools is because there is 3 hour late reg
Just take a look how big in the last couple of levels tournaments get compared to before hand.

Its a compromise and people like more money rather than saving an hour
Winning_TD is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online