Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Draw and Other Poker Discussion of poker games not covered elsewhere (e.g. badugi, draw, triple-draw, pineapple)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
Briandowd23
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 32
Interest in lowball

When did interest in lowball decline?

Does it have a chance for a comeback?

Can it be at low limits?

When was last time you played (any form) live?

Where is it played live?
Briandowd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Moneyline
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bruce Le > Bruce Li
Posts: 3,200
Re: Interest in lowball

When did interest in lowball decline? According to the old-timers it died down/out when California legalized stud. Stud had more action so the players went with it.

Does it have a chance for a comeback?I think it does to some extent. NLSD 2-7 especially. People could get sick of NLHE, but not want to play limit or PLO. It will take some sort of catalyst to get interest going, though.

Can it be at low limits? Sure

When was last time you played (any form) live? Single draw, never. Limit TD and badugi about 8 years ago in a Vegas mixed game

Where is it played live? Regularly, I don't know of anywhere. Probably single draw games pop up around tournaments, but I have never played one or sought one out. TD and badugi find their ways into a lot of limit mixed games.
Moneyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
Briandowd23
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 32
Re: Interest in lowball

Thanks Moneyline.
Briandowd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
mitchman
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: denver, CO
Posts: 498
Re: Interest in lowball

It has run a few times at commerce lately
mitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
ledn
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 235
Re: Interest in lowball

I played 10/20 mixed games at Choctaw Casino during the WSOP a couple years ago. It seemed to be a group a regulars that got it started up. By far the most enjoyable cash game I have ever played. I really wish there was more small stakes mixed available.

I played 20/40 during the WSOP 2019 at the RIO with Greg Raymer, he was a nice guy. That was fun too, although I got killed. But that was the smallest stakes that I could find for mixed games around WSOP.
ledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:19 PM   #6
Al Mirpuri
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Narnia
Posts: 5,447
Re: Interest in lowball

I, too, would love to see a lowball revival (being too young back in that day).

I own Mason's Draw and Lowball book and it is fascinating.

As an aside I cannot understand why hilo draw poker died out.
Al Mirpuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
dpmaf
newbie
 
dpmaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portugal
Posts: 36
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mirpuri View Post

As an aside I cannot understand why hilo draw poker died out.
I believe there may be two reasons:

-- The fact that it has just two betting rounds paved the way to seven card stud and hold 'em. Playing it hilo makes it even less attractive.

-- In the old days a full table would have 8 players. Dealing would take just too much time and there were no upcards to entertain the folding players. Maybe the fact that playing hilo would take a little more time would add to the boredom.

Don't get me wrong though: 5 card draw and lowball are, by far, my favourite card games ever
dpmaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
ScotchOnDaRocks
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SealsWithClubs
Posts: 2,771
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmaf View Post
I believe there may be two reasons:

-- The fact that it has just two betting rounds paved the way to seven card stud and hold 'em. Playing it hilo makes it even less attractive.

-- In the old days a full table would have 8 players. Dealing would take just too much time and there were no upcards to entertain the folding players. Maybe the fact that playing hilo would take a little more time would add to the boredom.

Don't get me wrong though: 5 card draw and lowball are, by far, my favourite card games ever
Yeah you hit on the most important reasons why lowball will never gain any substantial popularity. There will never be a time when you can walk into a casino and have several lowball games going. If you have a dedicated core you could possibly get a semi regular game in LA or something but thatís probably it.
ScotchOnDaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
dpmaf
newbie
 
dpmaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portugal
Posts: 36
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchOnDaRocks View Post
Yeah you hit on the most important reasons why lowball will never gain any substantial popularity. There will never be a time when you can walk into a casino and have several lowball games going. If you have a dedicated core you could possibly get a semi regular game in LA or something but that’s probably it.
In the old Gardena days draw games were played 8-max and the players dealt the cards. I suppose that in most cases dealing may have been too slow and prone to mistakes, making the all experience excruciating. But if given a chance, I believe that 8-player draw tables would have had succeeded in Internet poker.

Nowadays, with professional dealers and a 5 or 6-max table, maybe it could have a chance. Even so, I still think that hilo draw wouldn't be attractive.
dpmaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #10
ScotchOnDaRocks
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SealsWithClubs
Posts: 2,771
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmaf View Post
In the old Gardena days draw games were played 8-max and the players dealt the cards. I suppose that in most cases dealing may have been too slow and prone to mistakes, making the all experience excruciating. But if given a chance, I believe that 8-player draw tables would have had succeeded in Internet poker.

Nowadays, with professional dealers and a 5 or 6-max table, maybe it could have a chance. Even so, I still think that hilo draw wouldn't be attractive.
Yeah, I was more focused on the aspect there not being any upcards or boards to "entertain" players

While you can still play around and try to hand read your opponents when out of the hand...it's easier to and more fun to do so in a game like PLO

It's not often brought up, but it's a definite factor
ScotchOnDaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #11
eyesoftexas
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 6
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledn View Post
I played 10/20 mixed games at Choctaw Casino during the WSOP a couple years ago. It seemed to be a group a regulars that got it started up. By far the most enjoyable cash game I have ever played. I really wish there was more small stakes mixed available.

I played 20/40 during the WSOP 2019 at the RIO with Greg Raymer, he was a nice guy. That was fun too, although I got killed. But that was the smallest stakes that I could find for mixed games around WSOP.
Assuming Choctaw will still spread mixed (heard different things.) then come out for WPT tourney. We'll be trying to get a game going. If we can it'll be 25/50 or 50/100 but 10/20 if thats where the players are.
eyesoftexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #12
jmmj05
grinder
 
jmmj05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 508
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesoftexas View Post
Assuming Choctaw will still spread mixed (heard different things.) then come out for WPT tourney. We'll be trying to get a game going. If we can it'll be 25/50 or 50/100 but 10/20 if thats where the players are.
would it include all the crazy games (draw/drawmaha variants, razzdugi/deucey)? if so I might want to head down
jmmj05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #13
eyesoftexas
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 6
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmj05 View Post
would it include all the crazy games (draw/drawmaha variants, razzdugi/deucey)? if so I might want to head down
Yes, all those games but not really modern stuff like drawmaha 49. We'll be around during the weekend or 2 with the big tournaments. I haven't looked at schedule but it is around the corner.

We'll be hoping Kessler finds us players. He's awesome, love that guy.

I'm thinking lots of people will be out. Only place I know to play red/green chip limit mixed that isn't organized privately around TX. Show up! We've always been able to get a game going around weekends and such.

I've only been playing mixed at Choctaw for a few years but at one point they had a larger blackchip 2-7 game going. Not sure who was behind it but the guys who played in that game never stepped foot in our mixed.

Infact ! Say "eyesoftexas" invited me and I'll likely be there and buy you a drink! Love that game. So much crazy **** happens in such a small time.... I get the giggles thinking about it.

Last edited by eyesoftexas; 07-07-2021 at 07:23 PM.
eyesoftexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #14
jmmj05
grinder
 
jmmj05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 508
Re: Interest in lowball

July 15-25. I'd have to return home before the second weekend but I'll see if I can make it happen. No promises though.
jmmj05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
eyesoftexas
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 6
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmj05 View Post
July 15-25. I'd have to return home before the second weekend but I'll see if I can make it happen. No promises though.
No worries, I can always put a gun to my head and play some sort of boring TV type poker.

I am going to be there both weekends. I have a feeling games will go off ok just because so many people about. Rooms are quite booked up. Apparently far more than what I've seen in previous trips.
eyesoftexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #16
AKQJ10
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Who am I? How did I get here?
Posts: 12,848
Re: Interest in lowball

Commerce shows "30-60 LOWBALL" on the Bravo today at around 13:30 PDT.

Is that old fashioned California draw lowball with the bug, the kind you read about in Super/System and sort of appreciate for its historical value, but never imagine you would find spread again?
AKQJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #17
eyesoftexas
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 6
Re: Interest in lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKQJ10 View Post
Commerce shows "30-60 LOWBALL" on the Bravo today at around 13:30 PDT.

Is that old fashioned California draw lowball with the bug, the kind you read about in Super/System and sort of appreciate for its historical value, but never imagine you would find spread again?
What is the bug? I've heard that before but don't remember.
eyesoftexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #18
AKQJ10
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Who am I? How did I get here?
Posts: 12,848
Re: Interest in lowball

It's a joker. Actually it only differs from a full wildcard in 5CD/high, where it can only be used to make a straight or flush or as an ace. In lowball it's simply the lowest rank not in your hand, i.e. completely wild.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_(poker)
AKQJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive