Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Wrestling It's still real to me!!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #8826
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

When I made my way out to the east coast earlier in the year, I definitely made it a point to do seafood for a bunch of my meals.

I can handle the landlocked unfrozen **** and still enjoy it, but obviously it's inarguably inferior to what you can get on the coasts.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:29 PM   #8827
master3004
Revisionist Historian
 
master3004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Obstruct Everything
Posts: 55,186
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

For sure, im going to a sushi place in SF tomorrow, and even comparing it to somewhere not as far away like Sacramento, I know its going to be insanely fresh and delicious.
master3004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #8828
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

That home plate umpire's entire career - entire life? - is defined by that call if Houston wins the WS tonight.

He should internally be hoping desperately that Washington finds a way to hold and force game 7.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #8829
master3004
Revisionist Historian
 
master3004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Obstruct Everything
Posts: 55,186
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
That home plate umpire's entire career - entire life? - is defined by that call if Houston wins the WS tonight.

He should internally be hoping desperately that Washington finds a way to hold and force game 7.
Lol, the immediate HR was a lifesaver for the dude.
master3004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #8830
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

True. It doesn't wipe it away by any means, but it gives Houston apologists an out to try to call it harmless error if they win. Hoping we just see a game 7.

As always, the WS is not among my highest-investment sports watches because it's almost always me rooting for an NL team who I'm not at all familiar with to beat an AL team who I don't like.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:08 PM   #8831
Bigdaddydvo
King of the Politics Forum
 
Bigdaddydvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ^ ND Football jobs better than him
Posts: 20,380
Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Happy Halloween all.


Last edited by Bigdaddydvo; 10-31-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Bigdaddydvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #8832
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Happiness is being subjected to a UW game with a UW alum in the booth.

Mind you, Brock Huard is not the unprofessional ass that Dan Fouts always was when calling Ducks games (Fouts was truly the gold standard of not even mildly attempting to tamp down his bias), but the pom poms are still obvious.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #8833
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
Happiness is being subjected to a UW game with a UW alum in the booth.
This converts to non-sarcasm when they fold up in the 4th quarter and lose.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #8834
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

During the Seahawks game today, the announcer read a promo for Smackdown on Fox. At the end of it, there was a pregnant pause, and then Ronde Barber finally broke in with, "...yeah, I'll take this smackdown happening right here."

I was entertained by how little he wanted to indulge the WWE promo. I'm guessing that suits at Fox would be less amused.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #8835
JimHalpert
Howlpert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 50,732
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

I sat back and watched the entire Carolina/Green Bay game and I finally understand what LKJ means about Green Bay always getting calls. Enormous roughing the passer call at the end of the first half to let them keep the ball instead of making them punt out of their own end zone and the game ended with McCaffrey laying on an offensive lineman in the end zone and them calling no td.

Don't really care for either team, but ooooof
JimHalpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #8836
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
Really hoping that game has long-term negative effects for LA in terms of Belichick having given out a blueprint of how to defend them.

Not sure how much to put into the so-called Super Bowl losers' curse, as obviously it isn't a "curse," but I also doubt it's coincidental that so many who lose the SB aren't even in the playoffs the next year. Whether it's the mental hurdle of being able to get up in the same way after falling just short of the top of the mountain or what, there's probably some sort of real effect there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebooger View Post
This seems very wrong, at least recently.

2009-10: Saints beat Colts.
2010-11: Colts win AFC South. Packers beat Steelers.
2011-12: Steelers get Wild Card. Giants beat Patriots.
2012-13: Patriots win AFC East. Ravens beat 49ers.
2013-14: 49ers get Wild Card. Seahawks beat Broncos.
2014-15: Broncos win AFC West. Patriots beat Seahawks.
2015-16: Seahawks get Wild Card. Broncos beat Panthers.
2016-17: Panthers miss playoffs. Patriots beat Falcons.
2017-18: Falcons get Wild Card. Eagles beat Patriots.
2018-19: Patriots win AFC East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
Welp, guess you're right about my info being outdated. There was a long streak where it was true - I know that the 2006 Seahawks were the first in a good while to make the playoffs after losing the preceding Super Bowl - but yeah it does look like there's been a course correction in the past decade.
I may have been wildly wrong on the facts, but my hopes and dreams appear to have been in the right place.

(Rams got jobbed pretty hard on the late non-DPI in the end zone, but world's tiniest violin and all that given that it's the Rams.)
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #8837
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHalpert View Post
I sat back and watched the entire Carolina/Green Bay game and I finally understand what LKJ means about Green Bay always getting calls. Enormous roughing the passer call at the end of the first half to let them keep the ball instead of making them punt out of their own end zone and the game ended with McCaffrey laying on an offensive lineman in the end zone and them calling no td.

Don't really care for either team, but ooooof
To be clear, it's not exactly my position that GB gets all the calls - it would be a bit odd of me as a Seattle fan to quite say that - though obviously teams with star QBs are going to tend to get an above-average number of favorable calls.

My gripe is that GB gets benefited and most everyone is fine with it, whereas Seattle gets a call and most everyone treats it like the world has ended, never mind that we were on the bad end of probably the worst SB officiating ever back in '05-'06 and got a game stolen back in '98 in a manner that seemed to serve as the biggest impetus to the NFL's return of instant replay. Yes we've been a lot more fortunate over the past decade with officiating, but the extent to which that's true is overstated because of that one high-profile MNF call. The reaction is so incredibly imbalanced that the deeply unlikable POGger named Aaron Rodgers gets to skate when he gets benefited, and it's massively tilting.

Don't know why I can't get a higher-quality grab than this, but the first sign says "refs make a bad call" and the second sign adds "that helps the Seahawks":

LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #8838
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

I'm not generally in the habit of saying things out loud when watching a game alone. That said, a bit ago they were talking about SF's success this season and Booger McFarland said, "These fans deserve this." I suddenly broke my silence and outright yelled, "**** YOU! Why the **** would you say that?!" Yeah, when I think of California, I think "deserving sports fanbases."

The people they pay to talk for a living...
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:45 AM   #8839
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

If there's one thing I know from seeing that Browns player take Rudolph's helmet off and then swing it at his head as a weapon, it's this:

People will primarily only know that the Browns as a franchise have lost for years, and they will believe that losing for years is a noble act, and they will still regard any Browns resurgence as a feel-good story to get behind. There will be no analysis whatsoever about whether the Browns are actually a likable team.

People are the worst and should be embarrassed at all moments, day and night, about the fact that they're the worst.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:50 AM   #8840
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

That was so Cleveland. The entire city was represented with remarkable accuracy in that moment.

BUT! They've lost a lot. So let's join hands and root for them to rise up one day.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #8841
eyebooger

 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 51,622
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

At least Baker Mayfield was rightfully disgusted.
eyebooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:58 AM   #8842
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Yeah, that was a solid postgame interview. He started with "I didn't see how it started" and it sounded like he was going to fully cop out, but thankfully he called it what it was.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:23 AM   #8843
JimHalpert
Howlpert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 50,732
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

People are the worst LKJ. I've often wondered what it would take for everyone to just say "yeah, that was shitty" instead of having people coming in to do their contrarian/enlightened centrism "both sides" thing, but apparently "taking a full swing with a helmet at some dudes head" isn't that line. Over in SE you have one person showing us "the other angle cause Rudolph actually started it" and another person saying they like this kind of stuff and it's weak to complain to the ref when it happens to you.

I continue to wonder where that line is.
JimHalpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:46 AM   #8844
PJo336
THRILLHOUSE!
 
PJo336's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,095
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
If there's one thing I know from seeing that Browns player take Rudolph's helmet off and then swing it at his head as a weapon, it's this:

People will primarily only know that the Browns as a franchise have lost for years, and they will believe that losing for years is a noble act, and they will still regard any Browns resurgence as a feel-good story to get behind. There will be no analysis whatsoever about whether the Browns are actually a likable team.

People are the worst and should be embarrassed at all moments, day and night, about the fact that they're the worst.
huh?
PJo336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #8845
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHalpert View Post
People are the worst LKJ. I've often wondered what it would take for everyone to just say "yeah, that was shitty" instead of having people coming in to do their contrarian/enlightened centrism "both sides" thing, but apparently "taking a full swing with a helmet at some dudes head" isn't that line. Over in SE you have one person showing us "the other angle cause Rudolph actually started it" and another person saying they like this kind of stuff and it's weak to complain to the ref when it happens to you.

I continue to wonder where that line is.
There basically isn't one. Tribalism is a hell of a drug. I like wiper, but I'm decidedly unsurprised to see him taking up for Garrett. I've certainly seen this type of thing with my own team's fanbase too. Seahawks' brass pays phony lip service to caring about domestic violence, and then they go draft Frank Clark late in the second round when everyone else was passing on him due to an ugly DV incident in college. This past offseason, Jarran Reed draws a suspension over a DV incident. In both cases, many of the same people who wouldn't hesitate to high-horse about it if it were a rival team doing these things instead get all up in arms and look for reasons to defend the team since it's theirs. It's pathetic.

I don't expect a team's fans to start rooting for anyone else or anything - a person would cycle through all 32 eventually if they jumped ship at the first instance of scummy behavior - but everyone should at least force themselves to call a spade a spade, even when that means putting your own on blast.

And the people who aren't already dedicated Browns fans badly need to disabuse themselves of the notion that Cleveland sports teams are always some lovable underdog story. They're not. If they ever have been, it certainly wasn't any point in the past 30 years.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #8846
master3004
Revisionist Historian
 
master3004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Obstruct Everything
Posts: 55,186
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
There basically isn't one. Tribalism is a hell of a drug. I like wiper, but I'm decidedly unsurprised to see him taking up for Garrett. I've certainly seen this type of thing with my own team's fanbase too. Seahawks' brass pays phony lip service to caring about domestic violence, and then they go draft Frank Clark late in the second round when everyone else was passing on him due to an ugly DV incident in college. This past offseason, Jarran Reed draws a suspension over a DV incident. In both cases, many of the same people who wouldn't hesitate to high-horse about it if it were a rival team doing these things instead get all up in arms and look for reasons to defend the team since it's theirs. It's pathetic.



I don't expect a team's fans to start rooting for anyone else or anything - a person would cycle through all 32 eventually if they jumped ship at the first instance of scummy behavior - but everyone should at least force themselves to call a spade a spade, even when that means putting your own on blast.



And the people who aren't already dedicated Browns fans badly need to disabuse themselves of the notion that Cleveland sports teams are always some lovable underdog story. They're not. If they ever have been, it certainly wasn't any point in the past 30 years.
Im experiencing a bit of this now. The SF Giants just hired one of the most reprehensible pieces of **** to replace Bochy next year. Not sure how im going to justify rooting for them with him on the bench.
master3004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #8847
JimHalpert
Howlpert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 50,732
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
There basically isn't one. Tribalism is a hell of a drug. I like wiper, but I'm decidedly unsurprised to see him taking up for Garrett. I've certainly seen this type of thing with my own team's fanbase too. Seahawks' brass pays phony lip service to caring about domestic violence, and then they go draft Frank Clark late in the second round when everyone else was passing on him due to an ugly DV incident in college. This past offseason, Jarran Reed draws a suspension over a DV incident. In both cases, many of the same people who wouldn't hesitate to high-horse about it if it were a rival team doing these things instead get all up in arms and look for reasons to defend the team since it's theirs. It's pathetic.

I don't expect a team's fans to start rooting for anyone else or anything - a person would cycle through all 32 eventually if they jumped ship at the first instance of scummy behavior - but everyone should at least force themselves to call a spade a spade, even when that means putting your own on blast.

And the people who aren't already dedicated Browns fans badly need to disabuse themselves of the notion that Cleveland sports teams are always some lovable underdog story. They're not. If they ever have been, it certainly wasn't any point in the past 30 years.
I've always thought the people defending players for domestic violence and things of that nature just because they are good and on their team were super weird. It's one thing to say something similar to "Yeah, they are a pos but if the NFL is gonna let them play I'm glad it's helping us at least instead of someone else". That at least acknowledges that it's a problem. There's people still jumping up and down defending Tyreek Hill for breaking his sons arm and being on audio explaining he did it for some silly reason like teaching him respect (I don't feel like searching for the transcript again) by saying that it's all some mass conspiracy to make their team look bad. Watching people identify with a multi-billion corporation so much that they take any slight against it as a personal insult that reflects on them is just super, super weird.

We're talking about it in terms of sports teams but you see it all over. Politics obviously but even something as silly as Apple phones get people all in a huff. Hell, there are posters here that I'm pretty sure have decided AEW's success is their success and refuse to hear a bad word about it even if it's sandwiched between a lot of good ones. It's just so damn weird as someone that has never felt much brand loyalty to anything.

On a similar but entirely different note on the "people suck" thing: The Good Place's final season has been stellar. I know you weren't in love with the first season or two but they've really tackled "people suck" well in the last season and a half.
JimHalpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #8848
OneOut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,443
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

I kept hearing Jesse Ventura or Bobby Heenan's voice in my head, trying to point out that the good Samaritan in the Cleveland uniform just happened to notice that the player's helmet was off and quickly tried to put it back on before he got hurt.

On a more serious note, Arian Foster started an interesting debate on Twitter last night that suggested that anyone who enjoys football is basically condoning assault anyway and it's not nearly the worst thing he's seen on a field.
OneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #8849
LKJ
Smugly Contemptuous
 
LKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pissing down RG's leg
Posts: 89,832
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHalpert View Post
I've always thought the people defending players for domestic violence and things of that nature just because they are good and on their team were super weird. It's one thing to say something similar to "Yeah, they are a pos but if the NFL is gonna let them play I'm glad it's helping us at least instead of someone else". That at least acknowledges that it's a problem. There's people still jumping up and down defending Tyreek Hill for breaking his sons arm and being on audio explaining he did it for some silly reason like teaching him respect (I don't feel like searching for the transcript again) by saying that it's all some mass conspiracy to make their team look bad. Watching people identify with a multi-billion corporation so much that they take any slight against it as a personal insult that reflects on them is just super, super weird.

We're talking about it in terms of sports teams but you see it all over. Politics obviously but even something as silly as Apple phones get people all in a huff. Hell, there are posters here that I'm pretty sure have decided AEW's success is their success and refuse to hear a bad word about it even if it's sandwiched between a lot of good ones. It's just so damn weird as someone that has never felt much brand loyalty to anything.

On a similar but entirely different note on the "people suck" thing: The Good Place's final season has been stellar. I know you weren't in love with the first season or two but they've really tackled "people suck" well in the last season and a half.
Incidentally, the double standards demonstrated by many aren't entirely drawn along "us vs. them" lines. Fans will also react wildly differently to their star player facing a serious accusation than they will to some subpar player who matters little to the team's success.

Below-average reliever accused of sexual assault: "Cut his ass."
Kirby Puckett accused of sexual assault: "Excuse me, but I thought in this country you're innocent until proven guilty."

I enjoy The Good Place and have been enjoying this last season. I haven't seen this week's episode.
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #8850
JimHalpert
Howlpert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 50,732
Re: Wrestling OT/LC Thread: 346 Days Until Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
Incidentally, the double standards demonstrated by many aren't entirely drawn along "us vs. them" lines. Fans will also react wildly differently to their star player facing a serious accusation than they will to some subpar player who matters little to the team's success.

Below-average reliever accused of sexual assault: "Cut his ass."
Kirby Puckett accused of sexual assault: "Excuse me, but I thought in this country you're innocent until proven guilty."

I enjoy The Good Place and have been enjoying this last season. I haven't seen this week's episode.
Lock villager.
JimHalpert is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online