Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #476
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 17,155
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
African-American gentleman, 30's.
he's easily the worst dealer at winstar

in before racist

Can't remember his name. It's not Leroy obviously, since he's one the best dealers.
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #477
kewlfuzz
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatley'd! View Post
I'm in Keller, TX. Would anybody want to carpool sometime? It's getting expensive to drive up there multiple times each week. If anybody would like to carpool, let me know. I would like to stay at the Winstar for many hours each time, at least 6-8. Any takers?
i'm trying to go tonight actually. and wed-thu most weeks. would love to chip in for gas. i live in denton so pick up shouldn be too far out the way, for anyone coming from all points south. can't PM as new member so email me we can swap contact info kewl_fuzzy_bear@hotmail.com
kewlfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #478
MrBrightside
old hand
 
MrBrightside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,391
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
Had something similar happen last night. Get to the river and the guy betting the whole way in the HJ checks. The CO checks back. The HJ then says you have a straight? The CO says no and says I have two pair. The CO flips his hand over and shows two pair. The HJ nods his head up and down and throws his cards face down over the betting line towards the dealer. Two seconds pass and the dealer scoops the cards and literally just before they are pushed into the muck by the dealer (they are a 1/4" away from the muck) the HJ says "Wait." I have a straight. The HJ then says he meant to flip his cards up but then stayed face down (this was mostly a lie as it was obvious HJ meant to muck but then realized he had a one card straight). The floor was called and said because the cards are easily identifiable the hand was still live and the HJ won the pot.

On another note I had another bad dealer mistake at Winstar again. It seems each time I am there there is at least one big mistake each session. In this case the there were seven players in the hand and one person checked on the flop. One player was cutting out chips behind the line and we were all watching him do this. The player took about 20 seconds to find the right amount and then the dealer just dealt the turn before anything happened (no bets, no checks). Everyone at the table said what!? The dealer then said everyone (six people who had not acted) all checked. The dealer claimed everyone checked with their hand. lol. It was obvious the dealer was spacing off and then woke up and thought the table was waiting on him so he dealt the next card. (I find this happens a lot at Winstar--dealers just stare off into space because they are bored and miss action and don't know where the button is or what is going on.) What happened next was the big error.

Someone in seat nine then said the premature exposed turn card needs to be shuffled back into the stub because it came out. (there was no action on the turn card yet). The dealer refused. The dealer then told the person who was cutting out the chips they can bet now. Seat nine said started arguing with the dealer saying that's not right and the floor needs to be called. The dealer refused to call the floor and now told seat nine their only option was to call the bet the dealer forced the other player to make or fold. The dealer actually said "I'm not calling the floor for something stupid like this" and raised his voice to seat nine saying call or fold, call or fold. It became apparent that the dealer did not want to call the floor because he would get in trouble for not paying attention to the game and wanted to cover his ass rather than do things the right way.

Winstar is a nice play to play but I can honestly say they have the worst dealers I have ever seen in any casino. I play there a few times a week now and I see an error like this once per 5-6 hours. And there are always two occasions where a dealer doesn't know where the button is each time too. I really wish the management would have a few more classes for the dealers to bring them up to par. I've played in lots of casinos across the US and I've never run into as many problems as I do here. You have to be watching the dealer all the time because of this.
Been at a similar situation at another room. Pretty easy solution in 3 steps:

1. Stand up and yell "FLOOORRRR!!!!"

2. Wait for floor to come over, tell the dealer he/she is FOS and make the right ruling.

3. Never tip said dealer again.

EZGame.
MrBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #479
Aillemkall
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: blogville
Posts: 436
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

My (mostly) favorable review of the Winstar Poker Room, here.
Aillemkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #480
txpokerguy41
enthusiast
 
txpokerguy41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 69
Thinking about heading up this afternoon, anyone currently up there? If so, is the room full because of the holiday?
txpokerguy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #481
Aillemkall
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: blogville
Posts: 436
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Room is rocking, I'm on table 41. A lot of people are railing the main event of The River poker series.
Aillemkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #482
boltonflats
adept
 
boltonflats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: VT
Posts: 728
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

All tables were used this past weekend. Had 4+ 5/10 games going, a 10/25 game going, tons and tons of 1/2 and 2/5 games. Also some good PLO games going. Great to be there again this year. Didn't do anything in the River tourney, but did well at the cash games. Had a nice castle on table 23 Friday at 2/5 and ran really well yesterday at 5/10.

Until next year...
boltonflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #483
hime
veteran
 
hime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: OMGMGRPANIC!!!!!1 STFU.
Posts: 2,082
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillemkall View Post
My (mostly) favorable review of the Winstar Poker Room, here.
Please fix your website.
hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #484
hime
veteran
 
hime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: OMGMGRPANIC!!!!!1 STFU.
Posts: 2,082
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer-Guy View Post
When I used to drive from the Dallas area, there was north bound traffic at 3:30 pm on I-35 where it meets I-90, (George Bush). It was busy enough that it took an extra 30 minutes to get to Denton from I-90.
That'd be 190, actually. And it's not an I.
hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #485
Aillemkall
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: blogville
Posts: 436
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hime View Post
Please fix your website.
It was down for maintenance today. It should be up and running well now.
Aillemkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #486
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Has the player count in the poker room died off since the River series is now over? I haven't been in like 2 months.
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #487
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 17,155
Yes, slowest Saturday night I can remember last night. 10-15 empty tables all night
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #488
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhoff View Post
Yes, slowest Saturday night I can remember last night. 10-15 empty tables all night
So all the fish have left??? Only grinders left???
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #489
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 17,155
Always fish at winstar
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #490
steve0
journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 324
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Hey guys

I moved to Dallas last week from Chicago and put in my first session at Winstar on this past Saturday. I played at the 1-2-5 PLO/PLO8 table from about noon until nine at night. It was probably the most fun session I've ever had and I'll definitely be back as often as possible. Any food recommendations? Also, were any of you guys in the PLO game?
steve0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #491
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0 View Post
Hey guys

I moved to Dallas last week from Chicago and put in my first session at Winstar on this past Saturday. I played at the 1-2-5 PLO/PLO8 table from about noon until nine at night. It was probably the most fun session I've ever had and I'll definitely be back as often as possible. Any food recommendations? Also, were any of you guys in the PLO game?
Nope. We are all Hold'em players.

How much did you win?
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #492
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 17,155
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

For food, if you want to walk a little bit, try chips n ales.

Update on the golf course, it's pretty awesome. They've finished all the construction around the new academy facility, the new 9 has been open awhile, and the greens are in pretty good shape. The academy has two computer/video simulators, a putting studio, and a small gym in it. I'd definitely recommend checking it out and/or playing a round now that we should have some nice weather for awhile.
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #493
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhoff View Post
For food, if you want to walk a little bit, try chips n ales.

Update on the golf course, it's pretty awesome. They've finished all the construction around the new academy facility, the new 9 has been open awhile, and the greens are in pretty good shape. The academy has two computer/video simulators, a putting studio, and a small gym in it. I'd definitely recommend checking it out and/or playing a round now that we should have some nice weather for awhile.
Winter time has been delayed?
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #494
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillemkall View Post
Room is rocking, I'm on table 41. A lot of people are railing the main event of The River poker series.
Do you mainly play $2/$5?
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #495
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

It's all good if you guys don't care to converse with the enemy. You guy's have the fear of God in you that a good player is coming to Winstar. Well, get ready. I am on my way. Permanently.
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #496
Aillemkall
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: blogville
Posts: 436
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTrav View Post
Do you mainly play $2/$5?
LOL, converse with the enemy. I don't make a living playing 2+2ers, just out positioning them to get to the donks first. $5/$10NL is my main game. I sit at $2/$5 until a seat opens up.
Aillemkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #497
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillemkall View Post
LOL, converse with the enemy. I don't make a living playing 2+2ers, just out positioning them to get to the donks first. $5/$10NL is my main game. I sit at $2/$5 until a seat opens up.
Haha. Nice. I will prolly be seeing you around Mr. Turner.

Just 1 quick question for ya. At Winstar, how much difference is the difficulty level/skill level/amount of fish from 1/2 versus 2/5? I have never played 2/5 at Winstar before but I am pretty confident that I can beat it.

Last edited by xTrav; 09-28-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: ...
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #498
bigDee
journeyman
 
bigDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 306
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTrav View Post
Haha. Nice. I will prolly be seeing you around Mr. Turner.

Just 1 quick question for ya. At Winstar, how much difference is the difficulty level/skill level/amount of fish from 1/2 versus 2/5? I have never played 2/5 at Winstar before but I am pretty confident that I can beat it.
It varies a lot. But in general there are less complete total donkies who haven't a slight clue what they're doing. There are more regulars at 2/5 than at 1/2 because if anyone is going to play regularly they are drawn to playing 2/5 after a while rather than staying at 1/2.

But there are still a lot of fish at 2/5. There are some regulars who are total fish and you will know who they are not long after they sit down. Even among the more competent regulars, they all have a lot of leaks in their game and aren't anything to be intimidated about. Some regulars will sit down with a crossword puzzle and just nit it up (lol)

I spew to a lot of regs but I still don't think there's too many people you really have to watch out for. If you can beat 1/2 you can beat 2/5, but you may not beat it as hard as the 1/2.
bigDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #499
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 17,155
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDee View Post
It varies a lot. But in general there are less complete total donkies who haven't a slight clue what they're doing. There are more regulars at 2/5 than at 1/2 because if anyone is going to play regularly they are drawn to playing 2/5 after a while rather than staying at 1/2.

But there are still a lot of fish at 2/5. There are some regulars who are total fish and you will know who they are not long after they sit down. Even among the more competent regulars, they all have a lot of leaks in their game and aren't anything to be intimidated about. Some regulars will sit down with a crossword puzzle and just nit it up (lol)

I spew to a lot of regs but I still don't think there's too many people you really have to watch out for. If you can beat 1/2 you can beat 2/5, but you may not beat it as hard as the 1/2.
Is that a picture of you in your avatar? Dwayne right?

Id say there's just as many fish on average at 2/5, but there's more regulars/grinders so it's a little tougher.
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #500
pk_nuts
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 948
Re: Winstar World Casino (Thackerville, OK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhoff View Post
Is that a picture of you in your avatar? Dwayne right?

Id say there's just as many fish on average at 2/5, but there's more regulars/grinders so it's a little tougher.
Um. So which is it. Are there just as many fish? Or are there more regular grinders?

BTW...the winstar 2-5 is the highest raked 2-5 game in the country barring only a few west coast cardrooms.
pk_nuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive