Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #426
Runningtilt
journeyman
 
Runningtilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces 518 View Post
Mix game is a bit of a misnomer. Its round of PLO, round of PLO8. I played it for a bit, def was an action game when I played, guys getting allin on the flop with bottom pair and an OESD on a flush draw board, etc
O I was hoping it was like a 8 game format. I was a big fan of 8 game on stars when I could play.
Runningtilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #427
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 17,155
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that they call it a mix game. At least say omaha mix or something.
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #428
TheSouthernGambler
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningtilt View Post
Thanks. Sounds like I might tryout limit hold em next
Time. I usually play 1-2 Nl but if I was to go play limit I bet the table would stare at me and be like what?! Since I'm 21 and most guys my age don't play limit haha
Good luck. There are a few younger guys who stop by every once in a while, but yeah it is mostly mid to late age men who play.
I do see a few NL players who see that and take a shot at the game thinking it may be easy pickings. And they realize the biggest issue with limit is that it's hard to bet anyone off their hand. Pocket As and Ks don't always have as much value in the limit game.
Some of those guys leave very frustrated. Others do okay.
TheSouthernGambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #429
whatley'd!
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Had a much better trip tonight. My table was great for the most part (at one point we had a 5 way all in on the flop with multiple deep stacks that QQ won unimproved... lol). The room was absolutely packed though, I was on the wait list for an hour before getting to play. Anyone know if this is typical on Saturday night, and if so, what is the best time to show up to minimize the wait time?
I was at this table! 56 offsuit from that old man!? What an insane pot that was...too bad they both left right after it happened. I've gone the last Saturdays and showed up too late, so I also had to wait for a good hour to an hour and a half. So I would guess you were seat #7. Possibly seat #4 though.
whatley'd! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #430
whatley'd!
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

So how is this place on weeknights? Enough 1/2 games going? Enough bad players? Is it dead by midnight? etc...
whatley'd! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #431
Runningtilt
journeyman
 
Runningtilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatley'd! View Post
So how is this place on weeknights? Enough 1/2 games going? Enough bad players? Is it dead by midnight? etc...
Always plenty of players at night for 1/2 NL.Best time to go is the weekend nights. But during the week they have special like aces cracked.
Play is pretty soft overall alot of limping and it also depends on your table. Overall just play sold ABC poker at 1/2 NL and you will make money. Don't pull any bluffs alot of players love to call you down.
Runningtilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #432
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

This past weekend I was sitting next to a guy who was just killing time waiting for the satellite to start. He said that it can be extremely profitable to win satellites and then sell your tickets? How common is this for players at Winstar? Are there a lot of players doing this and making good money from it? Or are the soft cash games a more solid way to make steady money?

Basically, Im looking for the easiest and most stable source of income from playing poker. Any help is mucho appreciated!
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #433
Spaceball
journeyman
 
Spaceball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 325
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatley'd! View Post
I was at this table! 56 offsuit from that old man!? What an insane pot that was...too bad they both left right after it happened. I've gone the last Saturdays and showed up too late, so I also had to wait for a good hour to an hour and a half. So I would guess you were seat #7. Possibly seat #4 though.
Hah! Yeah, I was seat #7. Who were you?
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #434
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Does anyone take the Winstar bus from the DFW area? I was wondering how much it costs?
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #435
llleisure
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 865
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTrav View Post
Does anyone take the Winstar bus from the DFW area? I was wondering how much it costs?
My friend takes a bus that leaves from the Wal-Mart at 635/Midway at 9 or 9:30pm and I think he said it was like $7 round trip. Returns at 5am or so.
llleisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #436
whatley'd!
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Hah! Yeah, I was seat #7. Who were you?
Seat #1. Are you from DFW area?
whatley'd! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #437
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by llleisure View Post
My friend takes a bus that leaves from the Wal-Mart at 635/Midway at 9 or 9:30pm and I think he said it was like $7 round trip. Returns at 5am or so.
Cool thanks.
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #438
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

I want to pursue poker full time but it sure is hard living 100 miles away from the casino. Any Winstar regulars need a roomate?
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #439
whatley'd!
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

So how are the 1/2 games during weekdays and weeknights?

Many tables running? Still soft? Open raising to 15 still? etc...
whatley'd! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #440
westhoff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
westhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't have to live like a refugee!
Posts: 17,155
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

1/2 is great 24/7/365, maybe a little slow on weekday mornings when all the old people are playing that never bet more than $20 all day and never raise preflop, but usually there's still a couple good tables
westhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #441
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Pay attention Winstar people. Im about to rip all of the fish apart.
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #442
mufasa413
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 380
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

aces cracked tonite gentlemen
mufasa413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #443
turtle82
adept
 
turtle82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 897
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa413 View Post
aces cracked tonite gentlemen
nice

also don't forget to pay attention to xTrav, i hear hes gonna rip the fish apart
turtle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #444
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle82 View Post
nice

also don't forget to pay attention to xTrav, i hear hes gonna rip the fish apart
I already stacked you last week.
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #445
steve0
journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 324
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Hey guys.
I'm moving down to dallas and was wondering if this poker room was the best option for me? I occasionally play 1-2 or 2-5 NL, but prefer to play PLO. Do games other than NLHE get spread in this room?
steve0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #446
Aillemkall
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: blogville
Posts: 436
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

PLO gets spread, nut not a lot. Usually one table going. 1/2 with a $5 bring in. You can always start a list of interest, bc it seems more people talk about playing higher, but never do. I don't play PLO regularly so someone else might have better info.
Aillemkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #447
beachtrader
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 378
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhoff View Post
They've recently had a bunch of Riverwind dealers come down, and i've been mostly unimpressed with them.

There's only one or two "winstar" dealers that aren't very good.
Well I seem to get all of them a lot. I like winstar but I constantly seem to be on tables with sub par dealers. Last time I was there a dealer wouldn't allow a raise in this situation:

1/2 Straddle, Pre-Flop
Guy makes it $16
Another guy goes allin for $24 total
Guy who hasn't even acted in the hand yet tries to raise to $65
Dealer refuses to allow the raise to $65 because the last raise wasn't large enough to open action again. WTF?

The same night we still had dealers who would stare off into space and not know where the button should be next hand. It's like they want to be somewhere else. I also had a dealer come to our table and complain about how little he got tipped in a big pot on the last table.

I love the action at winstar but it seems like a few dealers need to get a kick in the ass to pay attention more. This is not representative of all the dealers but it's enough to be noticed every time I go there.
beachtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #448
xTrav
banned
 
xTrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 280
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
Well I seem to get all of them a lot. I like winstar but I constantly seem to be on tables with sub par dealers. Last time I was there a dealer wouldn't allow a raise in this situation:

1/2 Straddle, Pre-Flop
Guy makes it $16
Another guy goes allin for $24 total
Guy who hasn't even acted in the hand yet tries to raise to $65
Dealer refuses to allow the raise to $65 because the last raise wasn't large enough to open action again. WTF?

The same night we still had dealers who would stare off into space and not know where the button should be next hand. It's like they want to be somewhere else. I also had a dealer come to our table and complain about how little he got tipped in a big pot on the last table.

I love the action at winstar but it seems like a few dealers need to get a kick in the ass to pay attention more. This is not representative of all the dealers but it's enough to be noticed every time I go there.
A dealer complaining about not getting tipped enough? Well, if there wasn't already so much dam rake then maybe players wouldn't have a problem with tipping a lil bit better.
xTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #449
JennD
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 437
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0 View Post
Hey guys.
I'm moving down to dallas and was wondering if this poker room was the best option for me? I occasionally play 1-2 or 2-5 NL, but prefer to play PLO. Do games other than NLHE get spread in this room?
If you move to Dallas, there are only 2 (legal) options for playing, here - Winstar, and Choctaw. Personally, I perfer playing at Winstar though I have played 2 tourney series at Choctaw and there is nothing wrong with that place. But since this is the Winstar thread, and I have played there WAY more, we should stick to Winstar for this discussion.

Cash games at Winstar are good in my opinion. Depending on when you want to play, you can always find 1-2 and 2-5NL on Fri Night - Sun night, and often a 2-5 PLO. There are natuarally 1-2 and 2-5 NL during the week, just not nearly as many tables for it. I havent played during the week enough to notice if there are ever PLO games.

On the weekends at least, there is also usually 5-10 NL, and 4/8 Limit, and some other Omaha variant. I forget what though since I dont really play Omaha. Surely there is someone else who plays Omaha there that can post info on that (or Dealer-Guy might comment for us).

However, Winstar doesn't spread Stud or Razz (or anything else not already noted above) at any stakes. I suspect the same is true for Choctaw as well.

Now, once you are down here, if you get in with the right folks, you can look at getting in on some of the "unoffical" games around the Dallas area. The action can be pretty good in those and your drive is MUCH shorter. I have played in a few in the past, but have fallen out of contact with folks for long enough that I don't get invited to those games anymore. And, you pretty much have to know someone to get invited.

Good luck when you get down here.
JennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #450
DSqUaReD44
adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 850
Re: Winstar (Thackerville, OK) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennD View Post
If you move to Dallas, there are only 2 (legal) options for playing, here - Winstar, and Choctaw. Personally, I perfer playing at Winstar though I have played 2 tourney series at Choctaw and there is nothing wrong with that place. But since this is the Winstar thread, and I have played there WAY more, we should stick to Winstar for this discussion.

Cash games at Winstar are good in my opinion. Depending on when you want to play, you can always find 1-2 and 2-5NL on Fri Night - Sun night, and often a 2-5 PLO. There are natuarally 1-2 and 2-5 NL during the week, just not nearly as many tables for it. I havent played during the week enough to notice if there are ever PLO games.

On the weekends at least, there is also usually 5-10 NL, and 4/8 Limit, and some other Omaha variant. I forget what though since I dont really play Omaha. Surely there is someone else who plays Omaha there that can post info on that (or Dealer-Guy might comment for us).

However, Winstar doesn't spread Stud or Razz (or anything else not already noted above) at any stakes. I suspect the same is true for Choctaw as well.

Now, once you are down here, if you get in with the right folks, you can look at getting in on some of the "unoffical" games around the Dallas area. The action can be pretty good in those and your drive is MUCH shorter. I have played in a few in the past, but have fallen out of contact with folks for long enough that I don't get invited to those games anymore. And, you pretty much have to know someone to get invited.

Good luck when you get down here.
Actually Choctaw is starting to spread mix games. If they get I think 5-6 people they will open the game
DSqUaReD44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive