Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #1551
JohnRusty
adept
 
JohnRusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: logged on
Posts: 1,191
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2life View Post
Matrix (at least pre Covid)
post covid, m8trix is not spreading anything besides 2/3/5 NL and 1/2/3 NL
JohnRusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:46 AM   #1552
gone2life
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRusty View Post
post covid, m8trix is not spreading anything besides 2/3/5 NL and 1/2/3 NL
No Omaha?
gone2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:16 AM   #1553
gone2life
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gobbler View Post
Anyone in the Bay Area looking for a dealer?? Experience in underground East Coast games for years.
I donít know (Iím not in the business), but Iíd wager a bet that Oaks might be worth a gander as they may need dealers now that restrictions are dropping and (Iím guessing) a lot of their dealers are on the unemployment dole (which doesnít end until September)
gone2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #1554
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: twitch.tv/pokershaman59
Posts: 10,794
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

It's not the Bay Area, but Harvey's on the Nevada side of South Lake Tahoe is hungry for dealers. It's tough to find a place to live in Tahoe, but downhill in Carson City apartments are cheap, and it's an easy commute.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:12 AM   #1555
Skadet
centurion
 
Skadet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 126
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Tons of players in SJ right now. Tonight (Saturday) at 10pm for the 2-3-5, Bay 101 board was 20 deep, 6 tables (est. 2 hours by the floor), M8trix was 25 deep with I think 5 tables running.

I called into M8trix @ 8:30pm, showed up at 9:30, desk said expect 2 hours so I left - finally got the ‘seat ready’ text at 12:30am — a 4 hour wait. Completely crazy demand, but no idea really how much actual action there is.
Skadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #1556
Baghil
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 49
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Does anyone know if Bay 101 has a site or app where we can see what games are being spread in real time (along with wait lists)?

Can't find any indication on Bravo, Poker Atlas or their website. Thank you.
Baghil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #1557
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: twitch.tv/pokershaman59
Posts: 10,794
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

They do not have such a site or app. They do not want you to look at the app, decide that the waits are too long, and go elsewhere.

Evening waits are crazy-long everywhere in the Bay Area because so few tables are being spread. Things will likely change this week, when the state opens up wide.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #1558
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: twitch.tv/pokershaman59
Posts: 10,794
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

I spoke to the weekday afternoon shift manager at the Oaks, currently running at 25% capacity, about what he thought things would look like after Tuesday, 6/15, when California is largely dropping its covid restrictions.

He said that he thought a few more tables would be open, but they really didn't know what they would be able to do, and wouldn't until Thursday, when, supposedly, Cal-OSHA is releasing employee safety guidelines.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #1559
Baghil
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 49
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBostick View Post
They do not have such a site or app. They do not want you to look at the app, decide that the waits are too long, and go elsewhere.

Evening waits are crazy-long everywhere in the Bay Area because so few tables are being spread. Things will likely change this week, when the state opens up wide.
Thanks a bunch for the response. I'm a FLH player who travels to California from Canada a few times per year to play in LA. I heard Bay 101 had some games as well - would you happen to know what limits are normally spread at Bay 101? (I'm interested in 20-40 to 60-120...)

Appreciate any insight anyone may have.
Baghil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #1560
Manner Please
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 176
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencard2003 View Post
where does PLO go every day in this part of california?
Before Covid there was a PLO surge at lucky chances, with 2/3 going 2x a week, 5/10 going 2x a week, and 20/40 going 1x a week. Itís very confusing but those games are often mandatory straddle so 2/3 is always 2/3/5 and the other two are often 5/10/20 and 20/40/80. The big game was the biggest game in the bay before covid with 100k stacks as night went on.

No clue if theyíre coming back though. As expected thereís general some usual regs who get the game started and they can get momentum of running every week but can lose momentum and stop.
Manner Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:49 PM   #1561
Skadet
centurion
 
Skadet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 126
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghil View Post
Thanks a bunch for the response. I'm a FLH player who travels to California from Canada a few times per year to play in LA. I heard Bay 101 had some games as well - would you happen to know what limits are normally spread at Bay 101? (I'm interested in 20-40 to 60-120...)

Appreciate any insight anyone may have.
In the Before Times, bay 101 was def the place to play limited hold them, those stakes being spread regularly. At the moment, theyíre running only 4-8 kill & 6-12, the rest being nlhe. I donít see any reason they wouldnít start more FLH back up once they can open more tables.

Fwiw you can always call and talk to the desk.
Skadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #1562
Skadet
centurion
 
Skadet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 126
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manner Please View Post
Before Covid there was a PLO surge at lucky chances, with 2/3 going 2x a week, 5/10 going 2x a week, and 20/40 going 1x a week. Itís very confusing but those games are often mandatory straddle so 2/3 is always 2/3/5 and the other two are often 5/10/20 and 20/40/80. The big game was the biggest game in the bay before covid with 100k stacks as night went on.
Iíve always wondered thisÖ whatís the point of the forced straddle - why not increase the stakes?

And what is up with the 3 blind poker in SJ where there arenít any jackpots? I used to play at Capital Casino in sac once upon a time, they had 3 blinds too but at least they had jackpots.
Skadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:21 AM   #1563
dadjoey
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 326
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghil View Post
Thanks a bunch for the response. I'm a FLH player who travels to California from Canada a few times per year to play in LA. I heard Bay 101 had some games as well - would you happen to know what limits are normally spread at Bay 101? (I'm interested in 20-40 to 60-120...)

Appreciate any insight anyone may have.
20/40 and 40/80 haven't run since reopen AFAIK. 80/160 has been relatively strong running weekdays and likely weekends now. They've just moved poker from the outside tent back indoors. The # of poker tables are capped at ~16. The situation is pretty fluid though as California is 'reopening' this week so unsure if that means more tables or not.
dadjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:28 AM   #1564
dadjoey
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 326
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadet View Post
Iíve always wondered thisÖ whatís the point of the forced straddle - why not increase the stakes?

And what is up with the 3 blind poker in SJ where there arenít any jackpots? I used to play at Capital Casino in sac once upon a time, they had 3 blinds too but at least they had jackpots.
I also find it a little gimmicky, but 3 blinds is better than 2. Overall I think most of the player base prefers that. It does seem to encourage action and rarely have I seen someone not do the straddle.

I believe San Jose prohibits cardrooms from offering any jackpots or gambling incentives. Really no frills gambling down there.
dadjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #1565
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: twitch.tv/pokershaman59
Posts: 10,794
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadet View Post
Iíve always wondered thisÖ whatís the point of the forced straddle - why not increase the stakes?
The pot starts out bigger in a 10-20-40 game than it does in just a 20-40 game. Sklansky tells us, "Poker begins as a struggle for the [blinds and] antes," and a bigger pot at the beginning makes for a fiercer struggle and a looser game.


Quote:
And what is up with the 3 blind poker in SJ where there arenít any jackpots? I used to play at Capital Casino in sac once upon a time, they had 3 blinds too but at least they had jackpots.
It's the way we have played poker games for something on the order of a hundred and twenty years, since long before the legalization of hold'em. Jackpots have nothing to do with it.

But why complain about it? It makes for a looser, better game (see above about struggling for antes). Two-blind NLHE is a terrible structure encouraging nitty play. Three blinds is better, and two or three blinds plus an ante is better still.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #1566
Dennisa
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,171
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadet View Post
Iíve always wondered thisÖ whatís the point of the forced straddle - why not increase the stakes?

And what is up with the 3 blind poker in SJ where there arenít any jackpots? I used to play at Capital Casino in sac once upon a time, they had 3 blinds too but at least they had jackpots.
I believe there are two reason for this structure.

In California's poker clubs, it is illegal to charge a variable rake dependent on pot size. The clubs can charge a fixed amount per hand and is called a drop.
So in a 1/2 game with the button and blinds calling at the Commerce for example then the dealer takes all $5 dollars in the pot and drop it. So when the button bets $2 to win the pot on the flop, the button still looses $2 for the hand. Fun times.

As for the mandatory straddle and low buy ins in California, the card room operators wanting to protect their table drop design rules that benefit the poor players over the good players. Since a mandatory straddle, or double the blind bring ins in the bay area reduces how deep the game plays, and gives the poor players an advantage. Add to the absurdly low buyins in So Cal you get my point.
Dennisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #1567
gone2life
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBostick View Post
I spoke to the weekday afternoon shift manager at the Oaks, currently running at 25% capacity, about what he thought things would look like after Tuesday, 6/15, when California is largely dropping its covid restrictions.

He said that he thought a few more tables would be open, but they really didn't know what they would be able to do, and wouldn't until Thursday, when, supposedly, Cal-OSHA is releasing employee safety guidelines.
Great, thanks for the info!!! Hopefully this means Omaha and tournaments can return soon! *Fingers crossed! Thanks again!!!
gone2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #1568
JohnRusty
adept
 
JohnRusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: logged on
Posts: 1,191
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Any word on plexiglass/masks at M8trix/bay101? LA looks to be not requiring either
JohnRusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #1569
Baghil
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 49
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Thanks a bunch Skadet and dadjoey.
Baghil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #1570
JohnRusty
adept
 
JohnRusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: logged on
Posts: 1,191
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2life View Post
No Omaha?
Not when I was there. Bay101 has LHE (4/8, 8/16, and 80/160 from what I remember). I also didn’t play there pre-COVID so I’m not sure if Omaha even ran pre-COVID
JohnRusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #1571
gone2life
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRusty View Post
Not when I was there. Bay101 has LHE (4/8, 8/16, and 80/160 from what I remember). I also didn’t play there pre-COVID so I’m not sure if Omaha even ran pre-COVID
Ah, gotcha. Thank you.

Matrix definitely had it (back in the good old days).

Last edited by gone2life; 06-16-2021 at 09:59 PM.
gone2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #1572
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30,919
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Three blinds are to reduce or eliminate chopping pre. People on the button don't want to chop and lose a dollar after waiting 8 hands to get the button.

It also inflates the pot a little to camoflage the size of the drop. The dealers also complained about tips when the pots were very small because players don't want to tip on a $6 pot when they put in $3 of it.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #1573
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: twitch.tv/pokershaman59
Posts: 10,794
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #1574
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: twitch.tv/pokershaman59
Posts: 10,794
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Not much has changed as yet at the Oaks. Seven tables are in use for poker (and some tables on the Asian side as well) Poker play is eight-handed, with plexiglass partitions between players. Players must be masked while inside, and undergo a non-contact body temperature check on entry. There is no food or beverage service; the hofbrau and bar remain closed.

The staff seems to have expanded, though: I saw some familiar faces yesterdy whom I hadn't seen since before covid.

Game play remains as it has been recently: long waits for seats during peak hours, and games that seem off the hook. 1-2-3 and 2-3-5 NL, and 3-6 and 6-12 limit holdem. No Omaha as yet, and no big 30-60 limit game.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #1575
gone2life
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Re: San Francisco, CA Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBostick View Post
Not much has changed as yet at the Oaks. Seven tables are in use for poker (and some tables on the Asian side as well) Poker play is eight-handed, with plexiglass partitions between players. Players must be masked while inside, and undergo a non-contact body temperature check on entry. There is no food or beverage service; the hofbrau and bar remain closed.

The staff seems to have expanded, though: I saw some familiar faces yesterdy whom I hadn't seen since before covid.

Game play remains as it has been recently: long waits for seats during peak hours, and games that seem off the hook. 1-2-3 and 2-3-5 NL, and 3-6 and 6-12 limit holdem. No Omaha as yet, and no big 30-60 limit game.
Hmm, maybe theyíre just taking a while to figure it out. Thank you for the update.
gone2life is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive