Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #176
FireworKKing
veteran
 
FireworKKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: EL Cortez Smokey25cent Roulette
Posts: 2,142
Re: Portland, OR

Aces
FireworKKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #177
ifucankeepit
enthusiast
 
ifucankeepit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The right side of the grass
Posts: 76
Re: Portland, OR

I play at Spirit Mountain often. It is not perfect and I share many of your frustrations. The 1/3 and 2/5 no limit action is plentiful on the weekends and the player pool is way deeper than someone who only attends occassionally may conclude. There can be a problem with hit and miss, however Friday and Saturday have been very consistant of late. Last night there were 6 no limit games (two 2/5 tables, both very worthwile) and 3 tournament tables at the same time. Its not Vegas but if your complaining about there not being a lively 'poker central' for cash games around here, you should try making the drive for a couple weekends and give them a try. I took a liitle time off recently and when I came back I noticed the managment may have turned the corner a little. They implemented a couple player recommended changes and appear to be willing to listen a little more. YMMV
ifucankeepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #178
framerpdx
stranger
 
framerpdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5
I just left Aces great game !

Anyone still playing this morning ?

Last edited by Rapini; 03-17-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: merge
framerpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #179
NitroJake
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 115
Dang man. Where u playing at 5am? The loft game in the pearl?
NitroJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #180
framerpdx
stranger
 
framerpdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5
I have played that game yes sir !

Anyone still out playing this morning

Last edited by Rapini; 03-17-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: merge
framerpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #181
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 20,723
Re: Portland, OR

ROFL. You should PM me your number if you can get me into this (these?) after 2 am game(s) next time I'm back in town. Should have some home time in pdx next week some time.
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #182
PDXracer
enthusiast
 
PDXracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon USA
Posts: 52
Re: Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroJake View Post
Yeah. The Aces $1-2 is a super donkfest and the $2-5 isn't much tougher IMO. I've been playing at ace of spades more as of late. Better atmosphere, juicy $1-2, soft tournament fields. Hit me up if u wanna crush!
I play at AoS quite frequently, and have been crushing the 1/2 game recently. Everyone there knows me as I have been around since the opening.

I do like Encore as well, and play some of the weekend tournaments from time to time, but AoS is 1 mile from home, and the shootouts are very fun to play there.
PDXracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #183
NitroJake
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXracer View Post
I play at AoS quite frequently, and have been crushing the 1/2 game recently. Everyone there knows me as I have been around since the opening.
O rly? Who is u? I am sure we have battled!!

Hey framer... Ron was talking smack about your OFC game hehehe. He ran like god against me at encore the other day, until he didn't
NitroJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #184
FireworKKing
veteran
 
FireworKKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: EL Cortez Smokey25cent Roulette
Posts: 2,142
Re: Portland, OR

I'm gonna be playing final table/encore /private games today to friday every day,anyone else gonna be grinding also?
FireworKKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #185
PDXracer
enthusiast
 
PDXracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon USA
Posts: 52
Re: Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroJake View Post
O rly? Who is u? I am sure we have battled!!

Hey framer... Ron was talking smack about your OFC game hehehe. He ran like god against me at encore the other day, until he didn't
Name is Mike .. I use the little Indycar as my card guard ..
PDXracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #186
framerpdx
stranger
 
framerpdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5
Open face ? I have won a few games
framerpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #187
NitroJake
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by framerpdx View Post
Open face ? I have won a few games
Yeah OFC and I'm just joshin ya . I was sweating one your games while he and I played at Encore. I was berating him as a luckbox!

PDXracer/mike - we've spoken about racing before. I work on the nitro car in woodburn. Cya at spades soon!!
NitroJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #188
PDXracer
enthusiast
 
PDXracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon USA
Posts: 52
Re: Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroJake View Post
Yeah OFC and I'm just joshin ya . I was sweating one your games while he and I played at Encore. I was berating him as a luckbox!

PDXracer/mike - we've spoken about racing before. I work on the nitro car in woodburn. Cya at spades soon!!
Ahh yeah ... I went and played last wednesday and got pWned! .. Left before I made things any worse.

Still was a great month of march for me though.
PDXracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #189
allin4flush
grinder
 
allin4flush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 510
Re: Portland, OR

In case anyone who follows this thread hasn't heard:

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...incart_m-rpt-2

If this bill passes, it will put all of the poker rooms in Portland, as well as Dallas, Eugene, Bend, etc. out of business. At my room, that means 15 employees will lose their job, not to mention the 30 or so dealers. We expect to be able to stop the bill and our efforts are focused, but there will probably be a time soon when the more voices we have, the better.
allin4flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #190
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 20,723
Re: Portland, OR

I'll leave Oregon and take my income tax elsewhere if this bill passes. Not joking.
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #191
allin4flush
grinder
 
allin4flush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 510
Re: Portland, OR

That may be the case with me as well, but of course that will be because I'd be out of a job and my profession would no longer be viable here.
allin4flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #192
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 20,723
Re: Portland, OR

It would really be a shame. I love Oregon, love Portland and after spending my first 19 years in Alabama, instantly felt this strong sense of "you're home" that I wasn't expecting the first time I set foot there.

But no baseball (lol Hillsboro), then no no Ladd's Inn, then no poker, wow, strike ****ing three. Would be a very sad day.
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #193
Mtnracer
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 192
Re: Portland, OR

I think this proposed change is nearsighted, and shouldn't be allowed to pass. However, on a side note, I don't see how it could affect Bend. In Bend, we don't have dealers, and the games are defined by the city as "home games". No rake, dailies, or tipping allowed. Money can't even be held by the host.
Either way, as many players as possible should be made aware of this.
Mtnracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #194
Game Over 73
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 139
Re: Portland, OR

Everyone who plays at these clubs in pdx need to email the two women politicians who are planning this. I think Chris Vetter is working on something now for the players and club owners to take to the city to show them we are plus EV for the community

thanks

Worm
Game Over 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #195
Hey_Porter
Pooh-Bah
 
Hey_Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,140
Re: Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4flush View Post
In case anyone who follows this thread hasn't heard:

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...incart_m-rpt-2

If this bill passes, it will put all of the poker rooms in Portland, as well as Dallas, Eugene, Bend, etc. out of business. At my room, that means 15 employees will lose their job, not to mention the 30 or so dealers. We expect to be able to stop the bill and our efforts are focused, but there will probably be a time soon when the more voices we have, the better.
Why do you say that? As it stands, my money would be on it passing. Those in favor have what I view as the very, VERY strong sword consisting of the fact that the poker clubs in town CLEARLY aren't what the state legislature had in mind when it enacted the social gaming laws, and not what is contemplated by the city ordinance.

I don't want this to pass since it will eliminate my go-to venue, but I feel worse for tournament players. I'll still be able to dig up cash games, but it's a long drive to Spirit Mountain.
Hey_Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #196
allin4flush
grinder
 
allin4flush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 510
Re: Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Porter View Post
Why do you say that? As it stands, my money would be on it passing.
I can understand why you would feel that way, we're not really giving out a lot of details about our efforts to fight this. I can't really say any more than that we are working on personal outreach and education with our lawmakers, and we have many valuable allies on our side. Like you, I was pessimistic when I first heard of it but the coalition of Portland clubs has pulled together a phenomenal team in the last five days. The beauty of poker is that there are plenty of lawyers and other powerful politically-connected people who enjoy it.
allin4flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #197
Hey_Porter
Pooh-Bah
 
Hey_Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,140
Re: Portland, OR

I certainly hope you're right, but I'll remain doubtful. No matter what you do, no matter how many law makers you convince the clubs are a good thing (yay, small business), shining any light on the very thin line the clubs are already walking can't be a good thing. Given the state of their poker room, I'm frankly pretty shocked Grand Ronde hasn't launched one of these efforts a long time ago.
Hey_Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #198
Siculamente
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,163
Re: Portland, OR

It's obv not good for club owners and people wanting to play 20$ tournaments, but for people that want to play bigger it could be beneficial.

I'd love it if Portland only had one or two big poker rooms that were as professional as SM, but that's not the case. I haven't been to Portland in over six months... but imo there's too many clubs. They aren't professionally run (dealers, chips, tables, esp the cash game structure/ workaround). They just aren't places most people would want or even feel comfortable 1. bringing large amounts of money and 2. spending lots of time there.

It's rake free, but at what cost? Yes, driving over an hour one way sucks, and yes, paying $5 rake kinda stings, but SM is still the best card room. Dealers, chips, tables, floor are all professional. People feel comfortable bringing money and spending lots of time (binging really) there. They offer the biggest game I've been able to find 2/5nl no cap, and it runs all weekend. Hopefully these changes will force more people to drive to the mountain and add more depth to the 2/5
Siculamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #199
darrelplant
journeyman
 
darrelplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 254
Re: Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siculamente View Post
It's obv not good for club owners and people wanting to play 20$ tournaments, but for people that want to play bigger it could be beneficial.
That doesn't make any sense to me. Most of the tournaments running in Portland are bigger than a $20 buyin.

I don't share the view that the SM tournaments are run any more professionally than those in Portland. I played and chopped a tournament at SM two weeks ago, and it was fine, but the room's small, it's a long drive from my home, and I don't play cash games, so their regular daily tournaments just aren't that appealing. The schedule's sparse, the fields aren't big, and it's not worth my time to drive that far for a small game. Even the Top of the Mountain series didn't have guarantees, just estimated pots based on 100 players (the one I played only had 83).

I can get to four different Portland clubs within 15 minutes and there's a tournament starting at one or the other of them every hour of the day between 11am and 10pm seven days a week, more or less. Most of them are going to have 30-60 players early in the day and more later.

I've never had an issue carrying cash into or out of a Portland club, getting paid, etc. I have had the security guard walk me to my car a couple of times when I've won big, but that's not an issue with the club, more the surroundings.

I don't know about "most people" feeling comfortable in them, but I can guarantee that at least a few hundred people are going to be finding them comfortable tonight, with $5K, $6K, and $20K guarantees starting in three different venues between 6 and 8pm for buyins of $150, $50, and $100, respectively.
darrelplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #200
Siculamente
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,163
Re: Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelplant View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me. Most of the tournaments running in Portland are bigger than a $20 buyin.

I don't share the view that the SM tournaments are run any more professionally than those in Portland. I played and chopped a tournament at SM two weeks ago, and it was fine, but the room's small, it's a long drive from my home, and I don't play cash games, so their regular daily tournaments just aren't that appealing. The schedule's sparse, the fields aren't big, and it's not worth my time to drive that far for a small game. Even the Top of the Mountain series didn't have guarantees, just estimated pots based on 100 players (the one I played only had 83).

I can get to four different Portland clubs within 15 minutes and there's a tournament starting at one or the other of them every hour of the day between 11am and 10pm seven days a week, more or less. Most of them are going to have 30-60 players early in the day and more later.

I've never had an issue carrying cash into or out of a Portland club, getting paid, etc. I have had the security guard walk me to my car a couple of times when I've won big, but that's not an issue with the club, more the surroundings.

I don't know about "most people" feeling comfortable in them, but I can guarantee that at least a few hundred people are going to be finding them comfortable tonight, with $5K, $6K, and $20K guarantees starting in three different venues between 6 and 8pm for buyins of $150, $50, and $100, respectively.
People might have $300-$400 in their pocket at these things. If they bink $2k or $10k in one of the guarantees, great, good for them. But it's different. You might have 3-4 players walk out with a bunch of money. Way different from cash.

I'm talking about businessmen/businesswomen feeling comfortable bringing 2-3k in cash to gamble. Having maybe ~10-15k total on the table in play with a list, all with players willing to burn $500-1k a piece. Never seen that at a club in Portland. The money is there, no doubt in my mind, so why don't these clubs offer it?

There's lots of factors, but a big one is ambience, being comfortable, feeling good. For the businessman its about the whole experience, not just about being able to play cards. The lighting, the chips, the service, the food, do they feel safe? Are they having a good time? Are there other businessmen like them playing there? I've chatted with some of the uh more affluent regulars at sm, and they don't like the clubs for some of the reasons stated above. They feel dirty, they don't feel safe bringing lots of money, the games are tiny. And I understand that.

Offering bigger games is in the best interest of the players and the club. Bigger games bring in more people. Bigger games elevates the ambience. If I was a club owner in Portland i'd be scrambling to get a regular bigger game going. If Portland club owners are making as much as they say, they should reinvest a little bit and get their fkn clubs up to par.
Siculamente is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online