Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #1576
IFSATG
adept
 
IFSATG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Searchn4Lite NtheDarknessOfInsanity
Posts: 714
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by =VH= Fan View Post
In fact, does ANY casino in the US have this problem inside their poker room besides Parx?
I think the crux of this is the bar in/adjacent to the room. I don't know of any other room that has a bar in their room.

By regulation, they are allowed to permit smoking at this bar. They do not have to allow it - but, they can and do allow it.

Two potential solutions, both may not be easy or popular:

1. Build a glass wall, with doors that must remain closed, across the back of the room, enclosing the bar. Pump up the evacuation system in that new "room".

2. Make the entire poker area non-smoking, including the bar. Put doors at the entrance to the poker area, just off the escalator. Let them smoke out there. This would be no different than any other casino.
IFSATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #1577
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTalkingMule View Post
It just annoys me to hear poker players complain about a tiny whiff of smoke. Proper poker players are supposed to be more badass than that.
Don't worry it annoys us just as much to hear a hackneyed tough guy spiel about how we shouldn't complain about being uncomfortable while engaging in such a manly pursuit.
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #1578
TheTalkingMule
grinder
 
TheTalkingMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kensington South
Posts: 468
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Good. We're all on the same page then.
TheTalkingMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #1579
Jiggy Fly
newbie
 
Jiggy Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 43
Re: PARX Poker Thread

How's the room around 4am-ish on weeknights? Been going in the mornings after work but I'm off tonight and might stop over when I wake up.
Jiggy Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #1580
Richyrich9987
adept
 
Richyrich9987's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,159
Re: PARX Poker Thread

FWIW

When I went I could not smell a whiff of smoke
Richyrich9987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #1581
Shagadelic
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 874
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker327 View Post
Stupid question, but do you keep them in a rubber band, a plastic bag, or something else? I would be afraid I would lose some chips out of my pocket somehow.
Depends on how many chips that you regularly carry with you and if you color up prior to ending.

I've had sessions that I just wanted to leave after a bad beat, and I just dump all of the chips in one big zip loc and put it in my bag...

And others where I will rack up and color up to pumpkins.

If youve ever heard the term Pumpkin chucking FTW...

Its when you are playing the bigger game and are chucking your 5 $1k pumpkin chips that are wrapped together in a rubber band into the Pot...

And banging out a win...
Shagadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #1582
parxface
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chasing the Paydirt
Posts: 588
Yet to come in before 8pm...coming by tommorow around 9am have some time to kill....has anyone been there around then? More the one or two tables?
parxface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:18 AM   #1583
Snakes Gould
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 151
Re: PARX Poker Thread

again, i think the smell of smoke and second hand smoke are two big differences. While i agree that the smell of smoke is annoying and can be nauseating, i dont think it's a health risk, is it?

i have yet to check out the room, as ive been playing at harrah's chester, but i will be soon. they're both equidistant from my house so i have a feeling where i may start playing regularly
Snakes Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #1584
Jiggy Fly
newbie
 
Jiggy Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 43
Re: PARX Poker Thread

How's the 1-2 NL games atm?
Jiggy Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #1585
Gmble09
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 88
Re: PARX Poker Thread

4 $1/2NL at the moment, 4 $2/5NL...action is really good atm
Gmble09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #1586
Lovesantiques
A Classic
 
Lovesantiques's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Castle, Delaware
Posts: 3,879
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasterbrad View Post
^That's what I was originally told as well. On my most recent visit this past Sunday, two dealers and a floor both mentioned the eventual goal of 100 though. I'll try to get some more concrete plans the next time I am there.
From talking with Ari and others there, the long range goal is to move the poker room over to the main building after the expansion construction is done in a couple of years or so. Then, there will be a 100 table set up. But that is also after the hotel and other things get built.

For right now, 60 or so is the goal for sometime next year at the present location.

Lee
Lovesantiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #1587
Lovesantiques
A Classic
 
Lovesantiques's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Castle, Delaware
Posts: 3,879
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFSATG View Post
85 - largest (and indisputably best) room in AC.
Largest - without question.

Best? I'll dispute that, because I think Harrah's has the best poker room in AC. But that sort of thing is entirely subjective, and we are all free to put that particular appilation towards whichever room our personal predilictions lead us to.

Viva la difference!

Lee
Lovesantiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #1588
IluvParxPoker
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Philly
Posts: 32
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesantiques View Post
From talking with Ari and others there, the long range goal is to move the poker room over to the main building after the expansion construction is done in a couple of years or so. Then, there will be a 100 table set up. But that is also after the hotel and other things get built.

For right now, 60 or so is the goal for sometime next year at the present location.

Lee
I think 60 by next year is just perfect.... 60 tables at parx will by far crush the 85 tables that the borgata has. Dont get me wrong, I love the borgata poker room... and have grown quite fond of the great floor personel and amazing looking cocktail waitresses.... But Parx is a 10 min drive up I-95 from my house, and there is no substitute for convience. Im sure alot of people would agree.
IluvParxPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #1589
JONATHANM
banned
 
JONATHANM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 911 9ff turbo please
Posts: 636
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
Is anyone else starting to get the idea that Frankie M. and Jonathan M. are related? It seems like they have the same level of tolerance for others' viewpoints. That could be a family trait.
No relation. The reason I may seem intolerant is this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutShotDrew View Post

Headed down Sat night for the first time.

After reading all the negative commments I thought I would be parking in wartorn Bosnia walking through the parking lot avoiding sketchy perps hiding behind every car. Then as I walk into the room I would be greeted by a wall of secondhand smoke into a room so dimly lit that I was bumping into people lying on the floor passed out on the floor dying from dehydration due to the lack of speedy drink service.

Happy to say, nothing could be farther from the truth.
An obvious example of how making an issue about something that really isn't an issue (second-hand smoke in my reply here , as you'll see in a second) can possibly effect ones decision to visit this room. Fortunately, not the case here. I was in the room for a total of 14 hours on two different days. Both 7 hour sessions were from 12 noon (8-10 tables) until 7 pm ( full room). I've sat at the table closest to the bar. Each day there has been 4-10 smokers at the bar at any given time consistantly. Smoke or smell of cigs is not an issue IMHO. As I said, there may be a confusion between smell and actual second hand smoke ( possibly detering people from a visit). If there is a smell of cigarettes, I can't tell, even sitting closest to bar during busy times. But there definately is no second hand smoke whatsoever.

Moving on...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowboy View Post


... second-hand smoke is also terrible for your health.
smoking was then banned on airplanes, and not long after, it was banned in public
buildings. yet casino operators, with all their billions, have been able to skirt the
laws, simply because they can afford to buy politicians and keep them in their back
pocket.

we're now a decade into the 21st century. there's absolutely no reason that anyone
should be subjected to second-hand smoke indoors. this is the reason i will never go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Horse View Post
He is NOT "wrong all bolded". You can claim "I did not smell smoke the time I was there.", you can not claim "You did not smell smoke when you were there."
Second-hand smoke is not an issue. This is not an opinion, it is fact.Posting that second-hand smoke is bad for you is good info (and true). Implying that second-hand smoke is an issue in this room (when it clearly is not) is irresponsible and bad for business. I can't smell cigarettes either, unless some1 comes back from just having a cigarette and I can smell it on them.

Please do not take my posts out of context anymore Grim. Read OP , then my response carefully before responding .As you can see, MC's issue is second hand smoke and how it's an issue in this room. There is no second-hand smoke that could effect ones health while visiting Parx poker room and he is wrong.Therefore, I am more than correct in stating he is wrong.

Take the second-hand smoke claims "down a notch" please. Smell is smell (if there is any), but there is no second-hand smoke. The bar is ventilated sufficiently.

That is all.
JONATHANM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #1590
JONATHANM
banned
 
JONATHANM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 911 9ff turbo please
Posts: 636
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey10k View Post
Not to make any bones...but if u play 1-2 w/ a $60 buy-in...why would u care about a 30-60 game???

Michael of NJ
Because people have complained there hasn't been enough higher LHE games spread. Just pointing out the room is making an effort to spread said games. But you saw this in your readings correct?

Not sure what My $60 dollar buy in has to do with my interest in higher limit games? If I would have said I sat 2/5 w/ $1000 would that have been cooler?
JONATHANM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #1591
IFSATG
adept
 
IFSATG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Searchn4Lite NtheDarknessOfInsanity
Posts: 714
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Can we just 86 the arguments about the smoke? Many people are polarized on this issue and that's probably never going to change.

I'm not trying to get the last word in here, but the only facts that are truly non-arguable in this entire discussion are:

1. Parx allows smoking in the building.
2. You may or may not encounter 2nd hand smoke at some time. (regardless of how well ventilated the building/room may be).
3. You may or may not notice the odor that is caused by smoking within the building.
4. Your ability to notice either and your tolerance to either or both, are YOURS alone.

I would also add that it is a fact that the vast majority of people would prefer if the building was made completely non-smoking.

Right now, I am taking the "under" on that happening, but I would be pleased as punch, if it did
IFSATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #1592
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONATHANM View Post
Second-hand smoke is not an issue. This is not an opinion, it is fact.
Here in lies the crux of our issue, you can't say this. You are not a scientist, you are not using tools to measure things, you are a subjective human being spending a few hours in a room.

Just because your intentions are good, doesn't mean you can make bold claims of truth you can't prove even if the other side of an argument makes a clearly untrue (to you) and exaggerated claim. It is just plain bad discussion.

Edit: IFSATG is a statesman, diplomat, and my personal hero.
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #1593
TheTalkingMule
grinder
 
TheTalkingMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kensington South
Posts: 468
Re: PARX Poker Thread

There is no second hand smoke at the poker tables at Parx. There just isn't. I don't know why this is open for interpretation. Go and see for yourselves people.
TheTalkingMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #1594
Mateo215
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Hey from someone that has played the1/2nl at parx what would be a suitable buyin ? 50bb? Or is more than that suggested? Thanks
Mateo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #1595
Falker11
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 348
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo215 View Post
Hey from someone that has played the1/2nl at parx what would be a suitable buyin ? 50bb? Or is more than that suggested? Thanks
$60 - $300
Falker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #1596
Rusty_C
stranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Huntingdon Valley PA USA
Posts: 13
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Parx - 2 weeks later

It's been 2 weeks since Parx opened their 24 table poker room. I've been back several times since opening day. The operation has smoothed out very well. Hold em continues to dominated the majority of tables, with usually one table of 4/8 stud, one table of 1/2 PLO, and one table of 4/8 Omaha hi/lo. There are a few LHE tables ranging from 4/8 and up, and the rest are NLHE ranging from 1/2 to 5/10.

In mid-afternoons and later evenings the list for all tables run from 4-6 for 4/8 Omaha hi/lo (with that list all waiting for a seat at one table) to 15 to 25+ for 1/2 and 2/5 NLHE. I've never had to wait more than 40 minutes, although I might not get my first choice of game.

The front desk staff is handling the listings well, especially [name removed], who is a pleasure to deal with. The floor staff is hustling (working their butts off) to keep things operating well, particularly [name removed] and [name removed]. The chip runners have gotten much faster, and the cage is operating well. the cocktail servers are still drop dead gorgeous and pretty quick with the service.

The dealers have gotten better overall, although there still are some sub-par performers. There also are some real stars, dealing hands at a good clip and expertly managing the pot and the game, especially guys like [name removed].

Some notes:

- remember to tip the chip runners. While the dealers and servers are getting their tokes (although I've seen some players "forget" to tip the servers bringing complimentary beverages), the chip runners are getting forgotten. A little love, folks, Christmas is coming.

- I heard that more tables are being opened up on December 22, just in time for the holidays. ho ho ho.

- The player range is huge, from minimum buy in grinders to max buy in fish. I've had winning sessions and losing sessions, but no bad sessions.

- for those who are adverse to smoke, a drawback is the smoking that is allowed in the bar area in the back of the room. Having a smoking section in a room is like having a peeing section in a pool. It is particularly bad at the tables in the back.

- there has been some blogging about security in the parking lot. I've walked out of there at 6 PM, 11 PM, and 5 AM and not felt as though there was a problem. Let me put it another way - I don't feel any less secure there than I might walking out on the AC boardwalk at 1 AM.

Ari, the guy in charge, seems to be doing a good job as he continues to develop the room.

OK, the bad beat story - reraised with pcket kings in late position and the big blind called, everyone else folded. Flop came J 5 4 2 clubs, the BB checked and I bet, he called. Another 4 comes on the turn and BB goes all in. No way, I thought, this guy called a preflop reraise with a 4? Oh no, it was worse, he called with 54, making a boat on the turn. Did I call his all in? Of course. Sometimes it's just not your day.

Last edited by Rapini; 11-18-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Rusty_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #1597
cockpit
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,338
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONATHANM View Post
But there definately is no second hand smoke whatsoever.
Damn. You are a stubborn SOB, aren't you? You're also wrong.
cockpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #1598
ggeyler
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 86
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Went to Parx recently and i must say that the flaws in this room are abundant. The atmosphere in this room is dead. The food( sandwiches) is horrible, the dealers are the slowest I have ever seen and rake in the 1/2 is insane especially considering the money on the table is no where near that of the Borgata. At least for now, there is simply no reason to attend this room even though it is closer to me then AC. Borgata is still the nicest joint around by a long shot!
How is the rake different than the Borgata? Borgata still takes up to $5 (including BBJ). Parx takes $5 and has no BBJ. Yes, you might hit a BBJ once in a blue moon, but be realistic.

Borgata has been around for years, this place has been in business 2 weeks. They are not on the level of the Borgata, but what other rooms are? You can compare 99.99% of the rooms in the US, and they will fail the Borgata.

Oh - the money on the table? Can you give me an example. I was at a 1/2 NL table last night with 3 guys with $500+, and 3 guys $300. Maybe it is not big money for you, but that is what I typically see in a 1/2 game.

Oh, since you want to kill no money on table - 2/5 NL at Parx is $1000 max buy-in, and at Borgata it is $500. What do you say about that?

I hate people killing the place. It is not perfect, and has flaws, but to completely trash it annoys the hell out of me.
ggeyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #1599
IFSATG
adept
 
IFSATG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Searchn4Lite NtheDarknessOfInsanity
Posts: 714
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Based on the fact that you didn't like the decor & cuisine and that math is hard for you, when computing rake - I'm finding difficulty in understanding your concept of abundant flaws. The dealers, overall, are slightly below par, on average. But, they are getting better every day. And, the deadwood is being weeded out. There are, in fact, many very good dealers pitching at Parx. I'm expecting within a month or two, they all will be up to standard - or gone!

Leaving the ambiance and food issue alone, how the Borgata's 1/2 rake of $4 + $1 for BBJ is different from Parx's rake of $5?

If you don't like the room - that's OK. Everyone's entitled to their opinions. I love the Borgata - IMO, it's the best run room in AC (sorry, Lee - Harrah's isn't it ). But, that room was poorly run until Stan took it over. Give Ari a shot. The room has been open just a few weeks and already there have been significant improvements, based on player feedback.

Again, regarding the rake: Folks are going to have to get over the fact that the rake in PA is different from the rake in AC (or CA, or LV, or <insert gaming mecca here>). But, the 1/2NL and 4/8LHE/LO8 are essentially the same as AC. The 8/16 is (potentially) lower, since it is raked at 5%, not 10%. The 15/30 is $6/half, same as AC. Not sure about the bigger NL games - I don't play them. And, there is no BBJ. So, if you don't max out on the rake, you get to keep that $1.
IFSATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #1600
bullseye180
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 160
Re: PARX Poker Thread

The difference with the BBJ money is that it goes back to the players.
Whereas the extra dollar for higher rake goes straight into casinos pocket.
I still detest the BBJ and wish the extra dollar stayed on the table>
bullseye180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive