Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #776
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkTime4PlanB View Post
from the reports of other casinos around the area it seems like 1/2nl is the most common game, for instance on delaware parks current games report 13 tables of 1/2 nl. with only 20 tables at parx why do you think the majority if not all won't be 1/2nl?

are mostly all the 1/2nl games 9 handed? does 2-5 or 5-10 usually play short handed? and is plo played 6 handed or 9 handed?
1."Most common" is quite different from "all", in a 20 table room ie say what harrahs has, if 10 tables are 1/2nl, 3-2/5nl, 2-5/10nl, 1-1/2plo, 2-2/4fl, 1-3/6fl, & 1-10/20fl (which is a pretty average spread of games from when I was playing there), the 10 tables of 1/2 are "most common". But that can be said for pretty much any room. It is by far the most commonly played game, but the other games that go off define the room. DP is not a good example as they don't have near the volume of other games that even Harrahs runs. (nothing against it, it is a nice room, it just doesn't have the volume of even Harrahs)

2. Parx is opening with 24 tables, not 20. They are opening to over 40 before years end once they increase the number of table games to drive up the ratio the state demands with the in progress expansion. And there is a stated goal to 60ish with a high stakes room next year. Having been there, the space is large, it is a true poker room, not some tiny corner that a casino sliced off to say they have poker.

3. The way the stakes and games are set up are attractive to a certain clientele. If you speak to the players in the area, or even read this thread you will see the buzz (hence my comment).

4. No games in any of this area are nine handed, not in AC, nor in Philly area. Everything here is 10 handed.

Not trying to be snotty Just clarifying.

Added: Another huge factor is if you look at the PGCB numbers for all the casinos in PA, Parx is ahead of all the other casinos, even the ones with many more tables. This is fairly indicative of the action in the area.
http://www.pgcb.state.pa.us/?pr=368

Last edited by Grim Horse; 10-31-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #777
=VH= Fan
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 315
Re: PARX Poker Thread

This is just my opinion, but unlike most of the other PA casinos the Parx poker room is going to attract a decent amount of out-of-staters, mainly those in central Jersey and even perhaps north Jersey. These are people that would normally have gone to Atlantic City, but will go to Parx instead because it's closer to home. I think you'll also see people who live closer to Sands Bethlehem go to Parx because of better game selection. And I think you'll get some people thrilled to have a far better option than Harrah's Chester who will defect over to Parx.

The point is, Parx is probably drawing from the largest population pool of any casino in the state, and I have no doubt that the games will be more varied than any casino in the state, and the action will be great. Bring it on!
=VH= Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #778
layemdown
veteran
 
layemdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,500
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by =VH= Fan View Post
This is just my opinion, but unlike most of the other PA casinos the Parx poker room is going to attract a decent amount of out-of-staters, mainly those in central Jersey and even perhaps north Jersey. These are people that would normally have gone to Atlantic City, but will go to Parx instead because it's closer to home. I think you'll also see people who live closer to Sands Bethlehem go to Parx because of better game selection. And I think you'll get some people thrilled to have a far better option than Harrah's Chester who will defect over to Parx.

The point is, Parx is probably drawing from the largest population pool of any casino in the state, and I have no doubt that the games will be more varied than any casino in the state, and the action will be great. Bring it on!
Couldn't agree more! Harrah's had a chance to hold many players that they will shortly lose to the seemingly more agressive/innovative Parx poker room management. Those lines at Harrahs won't be at harrah's much longer. Too little too late to keep those located in between such as KOP and anything much further north of broad street.
layemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #779
MacGuyV
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MacGuyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 22,298
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by layemdown View Post
Couldn't agree more! Harrah's had a chance to hold many players that they will shortly lose to the seemingly more agressive/innovative Parx poker room management. Those lines at Harrahs won't be at harrah's much longer. Too little too late to keep those located in between such as KOP and anything much further north of broad street.
So what do you think about Harrah's? You've only posted about it 300 times.
MacGuyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #780
PokerSki13
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 315
Re: PARX Poker Thread

i could be wrong but i would be very surprised if the majority of games are anything other than NLH. 1/2 and 2/5 mostly with some bigger games. This will be the case be their 24 tables, 40 tables or 60 tables. This is the game that people want to play-NL. I am not suggesting that stud, omaha, LH and other games will not run, but those games will be in the minorty for a long time.
PokerSki13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #781
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSki13 View Post
i could be wrong but i would be very surprised if the majority of games are anything other than NLH. 1/2 and 2/5 mostly with some bigger games. This will be the case be their 24 tables, 40 tables or 60 tables.
No one is or ever was saying the majority wouldn't be NLH, that is pretty much a given anywhere. It's like saying "Do you think I will be able to find McDonalds or Starbucks there?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSki13 View Post
This is the game that people want to play-NL. I am not suggesting that stud, omaha, LH and other games will not run, but those games will be in the minorty for a long time.
At low stakes that is true. I am not sure as to what you are trying to convey or to who by stating it though.
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #782
layemdown
veteran
 
layemdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,500
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGuyV View Post
So what do you think about Harrah's? You've only posted about it 300 times.
Why so sensitive? I don't post about Harrahs nearly as many as 300 times. As a Manayunk resident, you're almost as close to Parx as Harrahs which figures to be a much bigger and importantly, comfortable spacious room. You get a choice while most are much closer to one then the other. I'm looking forward to visiting Parx, but because of location, it can't be my "room of choice". Parx is not much closer to me than the Borgata, so I'll play mainly at DP or sometimes Harrah's just to change it up.
layemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #783
OkTime4PlanB
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,957
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Horse View Post
1."Most common" is quite different from "all", in a 20 table room ie say what harrahs has, if 10 tables are 1/2nl, 3-2/5nl, 2-5/10nl, 1-1/2plo, 2-2/4fl, 1-3/6fl, & 1-10/20fl (which is a pretty average spread of games from when I was playing there), the 10 tables of 1/2 are "most common". But that can be said for pretty much any room. It is by far the most commonly played game, but the other games that go off define the room. DP is not a good example as they don't have near the volume of other games that even Harrahs runs. (nothing against it, it is a nice room, it just doesn't have the volume of even Harrahs)

2. Parx is opening with 24 tables, not 20. They are opening to over 40 before years end once they increase the number of table games to drive up the ratio the state demands with the in progress expansion. And there is a stated goal to 60ish with a high stakes room next year. Having been there, the space is large, it is a true poker room, not some tiny corner that a casino sliced off to say they have poker.

3. The way the stakes and games are set up are attractive to a certain clientele. If you speak to the players in the area, or even read this thread you will see the buzz (hence my comment).

4. No games in any of this area are nine handed, not in AC, nor in Philly area. Everything here is 10 handed.

Not trying to be snotty Just clarifying.

Added: Another huge factor is if you look at the PGCB numbers for all the casinos in PA, Parx is ahead of all the other casinos, even the ones with many more tables. This is fairly indicative of the action in the area.
http://www.pgcb.state.pa.us/?pr=368
so omaha is played 10 handed usually? even if it's a higher game?

hopefully ari can do something about this, i can't be the only one who refuses to play in a 10 handed poker game, super slow, less pots, and probably a ton of nits and just boring.

is there a way we can ever get short handed games....especially plo, 10 handed plo is just not how the game should be played imo. short handed with antes would be pretty cool. obviously i'm sure the games can start short handed and eventually fill up to 10 handed i guess? would increasing the stakes probably prevent this and keep the game short handed? like instead of starting a 1/2 plo game we make it a 2/5 ante game to prevent the game from becoming 10 handed? 10 handed plo kind of ruins the action for instance like the 1st 5 positions have to 3bet super tight the 1st few positions will be limping so much as well as just flatting raises so it will be a flat calling/limp fest with every pot going 7 ways to the flop.
OkTime4PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #784
Lyrrad
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,011
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkTime4PlanB View Post
so omaha is played 10 handed usually? even if it's a higher game?
The Limit Omaha games I've been in in Vegas and AC (10/20 and below) were all 10-handed. Many players do not like playing short-handed, and would not want to start a table with only 4-5 players, or continue playing if it got that short. I think the Borgata has tried to implement 6-max NLHE tables in the past with little success. However, if you can show the poker room there is demand for shorter tables (either starting short or having a set player max), I'm sure that they would try to accommodate you.
Lyrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #785
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: PARX Poker Thread

I can't comment on Omaha specifically or what a card rooms management would do.

I do know the Borgata will even spread heads up if you have the people sitting there to play in it. But at least in Hold'em you will be hard pressed to find the people generally sitting around who want to play short. (not saying anything about what is better or worse or what people on here would want to do, I just mean the vast majority of people who are in average room sitting around waiting for tables or playing already)

You could always jack the stake to keep it short, but of course you aren't likely to just randomly walk into a room and find that many people willing to play it. I am guessing the room will spread anything if you get the players and bring them in. Then people can spread the word of the game and hopefully find enough players in the area looking for the same thing on a regular basis.

Maybe put up a post here in B&M "Looking for players for weekly 2/5 PLO at Parx" and have people PM you the days/times they are available.
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #786
OkTime4PlanB
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,957
Re: PARX Poker Thread

ok so basically plo 6 max most likely will not run? i thought there were a lot of weaker players in live poker? weaker players/gamblers don't like 6 handed games?
OkTime4PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #787
Lyrrad
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,011
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkTime4PlanB View Post
ok so basically plo 6 max most likely will not run? i thought there were a lot of weaker players in live poker? weaker players/gamblers don't like 6 handed games?
Right. Many players like the social aspect of the game. If the blinds come around more often, they feel like they're paying more. Many also don't like the increased aggressiveness when it's shorter.

That said, I've gotten tables started heads-up before, though that was only to try to attract additional players.

If you can show demand, and the room has the extra table/dealer to support it, I'd think most well-run rooms would let the game start.
Lyrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #788
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkTime4PlanB View Post
ok so basically plo 6 max most likely will not run? i thought there were a lot of weaker players in live poker? weaker players/gamblers don't like 6 handed games?
It will run if you build it, but the chances of a spontaneous 6max game just happening are almost nil. Let me clarify, in the last say 800 or so hours of playing all over the area (NJ/PA/DE) I have not once seen a 6max game called and go. I have only heard them called maybe once or twice and it didn't start. It would be like spotting a Yeti, a rare elusive beast.
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #789
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: PARX Poker Thread

After thought, ignore what I said above about making a separate post about a specific game as the mods will likely roll it into this one. Hey look maybe people will contact you after reading this about starting your game up
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #790
rubixxcube
old hand
 
rubixxcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 1,644
Re: PARX Poker Thread

i would love for live 6 max to be a reality. few problems. casino wants as many people playing. also. 1 guy goes to smoke and another to the bathroom and game breaks. also other players may want to jump in and not be happy that they are told no with seemingly 4 empty seats. 6 max is an online thing unfortunately that for at least a bit will be tough to justify and maintain in a smaller room. plus live 6 max games will in general have better players.
rubixxcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #791
OkTime4PlanB
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,957
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubixxcube View Post
i would love for live 6 max to be a reality. few problems. casino wants as many people playing. also. 1 guy goes to smoke and another to the bathroom and game breaks. also other players may want to jump in and not be happy that they are told no with seemingly 4 empty seats. 6 max is an online thing unfortunately that for at least a bit will be tough to justify and maintain in a smaller room. plus live 6 max games will in general have better players.
well i'd be happy to start a game hu as long as additional people would join. from the looks of some of the replies besides lyyrad's last post it seems like additional players wouldn't join the game if they knew it was 6max?
OkTime4PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #792
Dima2000123
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,519
Re: PARX Poker Thread

I played in the last (and possible one of the first) 6max cash games in Borgata. Take my word for it, the format doesn't work live. The table is always one player away from breaking, and the fish get devoured too quickly. It is also hard to justify just wasting 4 perfectly good seats when the room is packed (not a problem in Borgata now, unfortunately, but it was when the 6max games actually ran).
Dima2000123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #793
Lovesantiques
A Classic
 
Lovesantiques's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Castle, Delaware
Posts: 3,879
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkTime4PlanB View Post
ok so basically plo 6 max most likely will not run? i thought there were a lot of weaker players in live poker? weaker players/gamblers don't like 6 handed games?
As already noted, the Borgata tried to run 6 max games - and it didn't work.

It has been widely observed - I've seen this happen countless times - that trying to get a game going can be tough if only 5 or 6 people (let alone smaller numbers) are available to start the game. Most players simply won't start a game short handed. Even when they know full well that the game will fill within a short time after starting!

Annoying, and I don't know why this is. But I've seen it, and everyone else I've asked has seen the same thing, over and over again.

One of the most exasperating examples of this was at the Borgata. We were trying to get a 5-10 hi-low Omaha game going. 4 of us were sitting at the table, ready to play. 2 others had chips on the table - but were playing other games and wouldn't come over unless the table was filled up. 2 more kept coming by to see if the table was filled and then they would sit.

We kept trying to tell these 4 that if they would only come over and sit down, then we'ld have 8 people and the game could start. And probably fill up soon after. The floor people were doing their best to get it going - but no go.

I can't see 6 max tables working at all in a live environment. Maybe, unlikely but maybe, if there was a really dedicated group of players somewhere who were really, really, really determined..... Frankly, I just don't see it happening.

Lee
Lovesantiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #794
Ari
Poker Room Rep
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Parx
Posts: 190
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Hello All,

I know this last minute, but we are having our play day and I would like to extend an offer to all of you that would like check out the room and play (non-value chips). Our play day is today from 9am-5pm.

When you get to the poker room just ask for Ari.

Thanks

Ari
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #795
ShipFaced12
journeyman
 
ShipFaced12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NE Philly
Posts: 246
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkTime4PlanB View Post
well i'd be happy to start a game hu as long as additional people would join. from the looks of some of the replies besides lyyrad's last post it seems like additional players wouldn't join the game if they knew it was 6max?
I'm down for some 6max $1/2 PLO. 8-9pm start on wed night would work for me. Count me in.
ShipFaced12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #796
ggeyler
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 86
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Ari - I'll try to stop by the room during my lunch break
ggeyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #797
fling85
journeyman
 
fling85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: J.E.T.S. Jets Jets Jets
Posts: 261
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Does anyone know any good massage parlor around Parx?

Or a good strip joint?

just in case...
fling85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #798
Kevliggidy
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Hello All,

I know this last minute, but we are having our play day and I would like to extend an offer to all of you that would like check out the room and play (non-value chips). Our play day is today from 9am-5pm.

When you get to the poker room just ask for Ari.

Thanks

Ari
Could you extend this until like 10:00 pm tonight? Give me a chance to check out the TV's while watching some football.
Kevliggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #799
toolooseLautrec
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: state of denial
Posts: 109
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Hello All,

I know this last minute, but we are having our play day and I would like to extend an offer to all of you that would like check out the room and play (non-value chips). Our play day is today from 9am-5pm.

When you get to the poker room just ask for Ari.

Thanks

Ari
Hmm,

Looks like I just got an appointment out of the office this afternoon! Let me see if I can sneak on over.
toolooseLautrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #800
ggeyler
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 86
Re: PARX Poker Thread

fling85 - there is one 'strip joint' right off route 1 and street rd. (2-3 miles from Parx), however, I wouldn't recommend it very much.
ggeyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive