Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #7051
cmurl904
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 977
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuckypoker69 View Post
With all your lobbying to drop stud I assume that means you sir.
I'm really not lobbying to kill the OE game. I was just making a few suggestions off the top of my head. In fact, one of them was the creation of a straight stud (or stud 8) game.

I liked the OE game when it first started, but I'm not a fan of the half kill in the stud round. I also can't take some of the regs/"table captains".

That's all.
cmurl904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #7052
cmurl904
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 977
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFSATG View Post
Taking $5 rake out of almost every pot, it really doesn't matter what the limits are. It's always worth it for the casino... the players, not so much.

The thought behind creating the 3-6 game was based on (what many of us feel is) some sound thinking, about how to improve the LHE opportunities in this room:

3. Spreading 3/6 opens up the possibility of a 6/12 game growing legs.
4. A 6/12 game, played with $2 chips would be a very good game. Especially, if you structured with 2chip/3chip blinds.

And, even if the 6/12 doesn't fly, the 3/6 games probably will have as many players as the 4/8 currently does.
Totally agree, I can't see why it would matter if they spread 3/6 or 4/8.
I'm sure the original intention was to have a natural progression from 4/8 to 8/16. Well, 8/16 can't go so why not scrap that plan and go with 3/6 & 6/12 ?
It's worth a shot, and I have a strong suspicion that both limits would succeed, and without little complaints from the 4/8 regs.

Yes a 6/12 LHE game with $2 chips would be ideal. Many of us here remember when Borgata spread this game, and it was very good at one time. And that was with "candy cane" stacks of $5's & $1's. I believe the SB was $3
though, but I can see your point of driving the action with a $4 SB.

I hope that this game could come to fruition @ Parx in the future.
cmurl904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #7053
Isuckypoker69
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At your mom's house b***tch
Posts: 79
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurl904 View Post
I'm really not lobbying to kill the OE game.

That's all.
No, just the E part?
Isuckypoker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #7054
Slifdog
grinder
 
Slifdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 575
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Tried to take the chinatown (NYC) bus to PARX this saturday from the white swan bakery. There was no 7:30 bus and then, much to my dismay, there was no 9pm bus either!!! Are these buses done? Did I just run bad? Anyone know why this happened? It is very rare for me to have a Saturday night off - and I was too tired to drive. That sucked.
Slifdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #7055
segrem
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 22
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Sounds like a lot of posters aren't 'E' fans.

I am a regular in the game and have polled others in the past on preferences for game mixes/limits. I would say the (very long list of) regulars actually have a slight preference for 'E', and it is unusual to see anyone, regular or not, sit out the 'E' rounds. When the game get short, it's very common for the whole table to agree to just play Stud8. I haven't polled others on their kill preferences, but I think the current structure is clearly hitting the "sweet" spot.

In the recent past we've tried 15/30 OE, 10/20 OE, 8/16 OE, 8/16 E, and (long ago) 4/8 O. And, a few people (like me) would prefer an HOE game. At this point, the only other game (below 30/60 HOE) that seems to have any momentum is 10/20 OE. It only seems to have a chance on busier days, with at least one full 6/12 OE game running already.

Although 6/12 OE is not my first choice, it's had a great following, and I would hate to risk losing it while trying unsuccessfully to start another variant.
segrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #7056
toolooseLautrec
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: state of denial
Posts: 109
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by segrem View Post
Sounds like a lot of posters aren't 'E' fans.

I am a regular in the game and have polled others in the past on preferences for game mixes/limits. I would say the (very long list of) regulars actually have a slight preference for 'E', and it is unusual to see anyone, regular or not, sit out the 'E' rounds. When the game get short, it's very common for the whole table to agree to just play Stud8. I haven't polled others on their kill preferences, but I think the current structure is clearly hitting the "sweet" spot.

In the recent past we've tried 15/30 OE, 10/20 OE, 8/16 OE, 8/16 E, and (long ago) 4/8 O. And, a few people (like me) would prefer an HOE game. At this point, the only other game (below 30/60 HOE) that seems to have any momentum is 10/20 OE. It only seems to have a chance on busier days, with at least one full 6/12 OE game running already.

Although 6/12 OE is not my first choice, it's had a great following, and I would hate to risk losing it while trying unsuccessfully to start another variant.
I suppose that I have to agree with this, especially about making it an HOE game. How would we go about trying to get arrangement set up?

The 6/12 OE game by itself fills a nice void between any 4/8 game and a 15/20 game. An 8/16 variant would probably work better, but then we might lose some of those who have graduated from the 4/8 hold'em game. Not many I believe, but to be truthful the "regular" base for this game isn't all that large (as compared to NLHE). Even 4-5 players leaving would hurt the game in the long run.

Besides, the stud 3bi/9/18 kill structure is easy enough for folks pick up after, at most, a couple of pots.

However I do miss the 4/8 Omaha game. I'll console myself by heading south on I-95 to Harrah's once in a while should the spirit move me. The 5/10 full kill game there runs most Fri/Sat nights. Free booze too if that is to your preference, though how long that will last is anyones guess.

BTW - does anyone think that this level is the starting point for a game to be "beatable" in the long run? One of the NYC guys keeps saying to me that with the rake/tips this game isn't beatable. At $4/half ($2 on a short game) I think it's a pretty good deal compared to the rake at 4/8 or 1/2. Now of course I am not talking about making a living on this game, but being able to at least cover rake, tokes, tips, gas/tolls and end up with maybe even some lunch money in your pocket.
toolooseLautrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #7057
IFSATG
adept
 
IFSATG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Searchn4Lite NtheDarknessOfInsanity
Posts: 714
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolooseLautrec View Post

BTW - does anyone think that this level is the starting point for a game to be "beatable" in the long run? One of the NYC guys keeps saying to me that with the rake/tips this game isn't beatable. At $4/half ($2 on a short game) I think it's a pretty good deal compared to the rake at 4/8 or 1/2. Now of course I am not talking about making a living on this game, but being able to at least cover rake, tokes, tips, gas/tolls and end up with maybe even some lunch money in your pocket.
Split pot games below 10/20 anywhere, are generally not beatable. With the horrendous rake structure in PA and tipping on 1/2 pots, you'd be hard to break even in the long run at 4/8 or 6/12.

That said, I am sure someone will chime in and explain how they are crushing these games. But, consistently - NFW. Sorry.

If you consider "covering expenses" and a few $$$'s for donuts/coffee beating the game - you might be able to do that more times than not, but if you keep track of your results - I'd suggest that the overall trend is going negative.

Play at these stakes for entertainment value. Any win is a bonus.
IFSATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #7058
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFSATG View Post
Split pot games below 10/20 anywhere, are generally not beatable. With the horrendous rake structure in PA and tipping on 1/2 pots, you'd be hard to break even in the long run at 4/8 or 6/12.

That said, I am sure someone will chime in and explain how they are crushing these games. But, consistently - NFW. Sorry.

If you consider "covering expenses" and a few $$$'s for donuts/coffee beating the game - you might be able to do that more times than not, but if you keep track of your results - I'd suggest that the overall trend is going negative.

Play at these stakes for entertainment value. Any win is a bonus.
I can't imagine what its like trying to grind out a living in that 6/12 game, it just boggles my mind, but there are more than a few in that player pool that do.
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #7059
sirdaily
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 18
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

First time at the Parx, impressed with the room and overall experience.

I read some guys advise working on game selection, say at $2/$5 how do you do that? You just put your name on the list and you go to an open seat. After they sit you, do you ask if you can be moved or something?

Also how do you monitor the other tables, would seem a bit weird to be standing around all the 2/5 tables for an hour trying to see where the most fish are?

Any idea on what the drink girls make per hour? I'm guessing at least $50+ but I dont know how the tips work if shared or not. They were a nice distraction to check out "dat ass" as they walked around.

Whats the cheapest way to drink there? The $1.50 Miller High Life?
sirdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #7060
cmurl904
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 977
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolooseLautrec View Post
I suppose that I have to agree with this, especially about making it an HOE game. How would we go about trying to get arrangement set up?

The 6/12 OE game by itself fills a nice void between any 4/8 game and a 15/20 game. An 8/16 variant would probably work better, but then we might lose some of those who have graduated from the 4/8 hold'em game. Not many I believe, but to be truthful the "regular" base for this game isn't all that large (as compared to NLHE). Even 4-5 players leaving would hurt the game in the long run.
I'd be willing to play 8/16 HOE (or HOSE preferrably) on weekends.
Not really sure if Ari & the floor would want it spread though, it may hurt the 6/12 & 10/20 OE games. Then again, maybe the 10/20 players might be willing to play 8/16 & other games ?

FWIW, I've started lists for 8/16 HOSE on Saturday afternoons in the past few months. The lists never get more than 3-4 names though.
cmurl904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #7061
cmurl904
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 977
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by segrem View Post
Sounds like a lot of posters aren't 'E' fans.

I am a regular in the game and have polled others in the past on preferences for game mixes/limits. I would say the (very long list of) regulars actually have a slight preference for 'E', and it is unusual to see anyone, regular or not, sit out the 'E' rounds. When the game get short, it's very common for the whole table to agree to just play Stud8. I haven't polled others on their kill preferences, but I think the current structure is clearly hitting the "sweet" spot.
My bad, I stand corrected then.

I seem to play on the days when there's a lot of Taj 5/10 O8 refugees.
Didn't know they were such stud 8 fans also.
cmurl904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #7062
Matador225
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,040
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaily View Post
First time at the Parx, impressed with the room and overall experience.

I read some guys advise working on game selection, say at $2/$5 how do you do that? You just put your name on the list and you go to an open seat. After they sit you, do you ask if you can be moved or something?

Also how do you monitor the other tables, would seem a bit weird to be standing around all the 2/5 tables for an hour trying to see where the most fish are?

Any idea on what the drink girls make per hour? I'm guessing at least $50+ but I dont know how the tips work if shared or not. They were a nice distraction to check out "dat ass" as they walked around.

Whats the cheapest way to drink there? The $1.50 Miller High Life?
Yea High Life is the cheapest beer by a good margin I believe. I play $2/5 as well and just ask to be moved if my table really sucks, which does happen every once in awhile. Might monitor the other tables a little bit if it's late and only 2-3 tables are going but otherwise I don't worry about it.
Matador225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #7063
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaily View Post
First time at the Parx, impressed with the room and overall experience.

I read some guys advise working on game selection, say at $2/$5 how do you do that? You just put your name on the list and you go to an open seat. After they sit you, do you ask if you can be moved or something?

Also how do you monitor the other tables, would seem a bit weird to be standing around all the 2/5 tables for an hour trying to see where the most fish are?

Any idea on what the drink girls make per hour? I'm guessing at least $50+ but I dont know how the tips work if shared or not. They were a nice distraction to check out "dat ass" as they walked around.

Whats the cheapest way to drink there? The $1.50 Miller High Life?
I usually just sit in the game they put me in, unless I see a spot I want. If the table isn't good ask them to move you. You aren't going to learn who the spots are in an hour so it would be pointless to stand around just watching, and pretty creepy imo.
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #7064
Guyra
grinder
 
Guyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 550
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Anyone hear about the dealer mandate to have to deal 25 hands per hour or something similar? Thoughts? 25 HPHour seems low anyways, no?

Dealers didn't seem to keen on the idea. Not sure why they wouldn't want to deal as many hands as possible per hour since it'll only benefit them as more hands should equal more tips.
Guyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #7065
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
Anyone hear about the dealer mandate to have to deal 25 hands per hour or something similar? Thoughts? 25 HPHour seems low anyways, no?

Dealers didn't seem to keen on the idea. Not sure why they wouldn't want to deal as many hands as possible per hour since it'll only benefit them as more hands should equal more tips.
They wouldn't be keen on it because if they are dealing a NL game and everyone has to Hollywood for 5 minutes before folding they have no control over that. They will get pushed from both sides (the house, the players).
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #7066
theteacher
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 137
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by segrem View Post
Sounds like a lot of posters aren't 'E' fans.

I am a regular in the game and have polled others in the past on preferences for game mixes/limits. I would say the (very long list of) regulars actually have a slight preference for 'E', and it is unusual to see anyone, regular or not, sit out the 'E' rounds. When the game get short, it's very common for the whole table to agree to just play Stud8. I haven't polled others on their kill preferences, but I think the current structure is clearly hitting the "sweet" spot.

In the recent past we've tried 15/30 OE, 10/20 OE, 8/16 OE, 8/16 E, and (long ago) 4/8 O. And, a few people (like me) would prefer an HOE game. At this point, the only other game (below 30/60 HOE) that seems to have any momentum is 10/20 OE. It only seems to have a chance on busier days, with at least one full 6/12 OE game running already.

Although 6/12 OE is not my first choice, it's had a great following, and I would hate to risk losing it while trying unsuccessfully to start another variant.
I would love to play a HOE game at any level below 10/20.
theteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #7067
toolooseLautrec
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: state of denial
Posts: 109
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurl904 View Post
I'd be willing to play 8/16 HOE (or HOSE preferrably) on weekends.
Not really sure if Ari & the floor would want it spread though, it may hurt the 6/12 & 10/20 OE games. Then again, maybe the 10/20 players might be willing to play 8/16 & other games ?
I have a feeling that Ari wouldn't spread anything that might interfer with the 6/12 OE game. It seems to have some sort of sacred cow status. Considering the waistline of some of the regular players...

On my next trip there I'll ask about starting a 4/8 or 6/12 or... HOE game, just for fun. I have a feeling that I'll get the same "we don't offer that at all" response.

Ari used to be more involved in this thread when the room first opened, but IIRC he's now in charge of the whole of Parx East. Does anyone know is his 2nd in command hangs around 2+2? Other rooms have a designated rep but I'm guessing that Ari is just too busy as of now.

Hey Ari, "is there anybody out there?"
toolooseLautrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #7068
dinesh
Pooh-Bah
 
dinesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,878
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Ari was in charge of all of Parx East even while he was more actively posting here. He'll post here when he has something to say, I suppose. Most of what gets asked here of him is probably better asked in person, anyway.

Brandon is his second, and he already posts here in this thread.
dinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #7069
cmurl904
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 977
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolooseLautrec View Post
I have a feeling that Ari wouldn't spread anything that might interfer with the 6/12 OE game. It seems to have some sort of sacred cow status.

On my next trip there I'll ask about starting a 4/8 or 6/12 or... HOE game, just for fun. I have a feeling that I'll get the same "we don't offer that at all" response.
Yeah, trying to get an 8/16 game is pretty much a lost cause. Especially with 10/20 OE popping up now.

I never thought of trying a 4/8 HOE/HOSE game. Maybe they'd be more open to that ?
Who knows, maybe 4/8 HORSE could be the guinea pig for razz ?
cmurl904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #7070
theteacher
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 137
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurl904 View Post
Yeah, trying to get an 8/16 game is pretty much a lost cause. Especially with 10/20 OE popping up now.

I never thought of trying a 4/8 HOE/HOSE game. Maybe they'd be more open to that ?
Who knows, maybe 4/8 HORSE could be the guinea pig for razz ?
Perhaps somebody familiar with management could ask, and then we could set a date and time, and have players to get it started. I would be willing to do it but it has to be a Saturday or Sunday for me.
theteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #7071
kingcod
veteran
 
kingcod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: running bad
Posts: 2,095
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh View Post
Ari was in charge of all of Parx East even while he was more actively posting here. He'll post here when he has something to say, I suppose. Most of what gets asked here of him is probably better asked in person, anyway.

Brandon is his second, and he already posts here in this thread.
you gonna be there tonight
kingcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #7072
Tekkaman
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 59
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Anyone know if Parx will have WiFi in the near future?
Tekkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #7073
Ari
Poker Room Rep
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Parx
Posts: 190
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolooseLautrec View Post
I have a feeling that Ari wouldn't spread anything that might interfer with the 6/12 OE game. It seems to have some sort of sacred cow status. Considering the waistline of some of the regular players...

On my next trip there I'll ask about starting a 4/8 or 6/12 or... HOE game, just for fun. I have a feeling that I'll get the same "we don't offer that at all" response.

Ari used to be more involved in this thread when the room first opened, but IIRC he's now in charge of the whole of Parx East. Does anyone know is his 2nd in command hangs around 2+2? Other rooms have a designated rep but I'm guessing that Ari is just too busy as of now.

Hey Ari, "is there anybody out there?"

I have been busy but that is no excuse (sorry) our 6/12 and 10/20 is very strong right now so I would be hesitant to risk varying from those games
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #7074
Ari
Poker Room Rep
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Parx
Posts: 190
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkaman View Post
Anyone know if Parx will have WiFi in the near future?
Our IT department is looking into it, I am hoping soon.
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #7075
sam_buca
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 25
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.09.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I have been busy but that is no excuse (sorry) our 6/12 and 10/20 is very strong right now so I would be hesitant to risk varying from those games
But your 4/8 game isn't. Why not 3/6 and 6/12 instead of the 4/8?
sam_buca is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive