Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #5651
wolfmanNYC
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
Not sure where in NYC you are coming from, but I come from Brooklyn, and the ride from Verazzano bridge is 1:20.
wolfmanNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #5652
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
Re: PARX Poker Thread -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by waar View Post
Been running into too many IWTSTH douchebags recently...
Happens to me all the time too.
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #5653
theteacher
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 137
Re: PARX Poker Thread -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanNYC View Post
Not sure where in NYC you are coming from, but I come from Brooklyn, and the ride from Verazzano bridge is 1:20.
I'm coming from the West Village in Manhattan. I guess I would be taking the Holland Tunnel. Again, thanks for any info from people that have actually done the drive from around the same area.
theteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #5654
MacGuyV
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MacGuyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 22,298
Re: PARX Poker Thread -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

I'm pretty sure there are more of IWTSTH d'bags in Borgata. I've encountered about the same # of them in both places despite playing ~10x more hours at Parx.
MacGuyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #5655
blebhertz
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 112
Re: PARX Poker Thread -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
I'm coming from the West Village in Manhattan. I guess I would be taking the Holland Tunnel. Again, thanks for any info from people that have actually done the drive from around the same area.
you know there's a bus that goes to Parx from chinatown, manhattan. Just check their website
blebhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #5656
spacecakezzz
old hand
 
spacecakezzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,932
Re: PARX Poker Thread -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGuyV View Post
I'm pretty sure there are more of IWTSTH d'bags in Borgata. I've encountered about the same # of them in both places despite playing ~10x more hours at Parx.
here's an in-game hint for people who hate when that happens...it's a rule and i know you don't like it (i don't either) but some people are going to use it against you - both for information and to tilt you. You can do nothing about it while at the table. if someone asks and the dealer shows it, just don't react at all - takes away all of their power. pretend it's just like any other rule you don't like (like having to put in a small blind and big blind...which you do without complaining, etc..)

also half the time when i hear someone say "iwsth" i pretend not to hear and fling my cards into the muck...usually they make it. if not i blame myself for poor folding technique
spacecakezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #5657
RiverFenix
banned
 
RiverFenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: not a serious business
Posts: 8,829
Re: PARX Poker Thread -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Chinatown bus takes 90-120 min given traffic and goes from holland tunnel -> turnpike.
RiverFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #5658
Ranma4703
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: she / her
Posts: 3,009
Re: PARX Poker Thread -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

What kind of juices can you get in the poker room? And do they charge for it?
Ranma4703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #5659
theteacher
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 137
Re: PARX Poker Thread -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

I'm going to drive down one day next week. Would love to play the 6/12 O.E. game. Does it run during the day? How is the limit hold em action during the day? People that have driven themselves from Manhattan, is it an easy drive? Thanks for any info.
theteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #5660
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,115
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Does anyone know where I can find the results from the Parx tournament series? For some reason they dont appear to be on Hendon Mob.
NickMPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #5661
Grim Horse
grinder
 
Grim Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The other side of the monitor.
Posts: 517
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

http://parxpokerblog.com/
Grim Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #5662
cwicemvp12
Sergei Bobrovsky!
 
cwicemvp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 22,497
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Had a chance to stop by to watch one of my buddy's friends in a limit tournament last week and I was pretty impressed with the poker room - especially the waitresses. Corsets and hot pants!
cwicemvp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #5663
bullseye180
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 160
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwicemvp12 View Post
Had a chance to stop by to watch one of my buddy's friends in a limit tournament last week and I was pretty impressed with the poker room - especially the waitresses. Corsets and hot pants!
Some of the regs in the 30 game dress like that also.
bullseye180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #5664
cwicemvp12
Sergei Bobrovsky!
 
cwicemvp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 22,497
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

I noticed that too.
cwicemvp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #5665
PASANDSMAN
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 716
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Went to this place last night again for the second time. Wrote a TR about my first experience but thought maybe this time after seeing the same annoying behavior should post it here in hopes maybe some players would see thinking about heading down for some O/E. If you are a non-regular in this game you will be at a huge disadvantage. The regs here soft play one another/squeeze you out of pots more than I have ever seen at any other venue or game. Especially in the Stud8 round they will squeeze you out with bet/raise and once you fold the two villians will check it down no matter what. Many times they will even throw all their cards face up to sweat it together. They will raise you out, once they are heads up check it down every time. I have even seen it done with three of the regs once they bet me out of the pot. Another thing you will find is them capping preflop in the O8 round with any hand imaginable, talking up a storm during the hand, and then again once you are out it gets checked down many times.

It is really ashame the regs are like this because it is a really well layed out mix game. The time fee of only 4 bucks per down or 2 bucks 7 handed or less is a very fair house charge and the dealers run a good game as well. I would come to this casino often because I love the game but the regs are wrecking their chance of getting any more steady players in it IMO. I did finish the session this and last profitable but the squeezing/soft playing is almost too much to take for considering another trip to this casino for this game.
PASANDSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #5666
acdawg712
veteran
 
acdawg712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dust
Posts: 2,165
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASANDSMAN View Post
Went to this place last night again for the second time. Wrote a TR about my first experience but thought maybe this time after seeing the same annoying behavior should post it here in hopes maybe some players would see thinking about heading down for some O/E. If you are a non-regular in this game you will be at a huge disadvantage. The regs here soft play one another/squeeze you out of pots more than I have ever seen at any other venue or game. Especially in the Stud8 round they will squeeze you out with bet/raise and once you fold the two villians will check it down no matter what. Many times they will even throw all their cards face up to sweat it together. They will raise you out, once they are heads up check it down every time. I have even seen it done with three of the regs once they bet me out of the pot. Another thing you will find is them capping preflop in the O8 round with any hand imaginable, talking up a storm during the hand, and then again once you are out it gets checked down many times.

It is really ashame the regs are like this because it is a really well layed out mix game. The time fee of only 4 bucks per down or 2 bucks 7 handed or less is a very fair house charge and the dealers run a good game as well. I would come to this casino often because I love the game but the regs are wrecking their chance of getting any more steady players in it IMO. I did finish the session this and last profitable but the squeezing/soft playing is almost too much to take for considering another trip to this casino for this game.
I read your last TR and did start to think back on my play in the game. I have played 3 times, I believe. 2 short sessions and 1 long session. The short sessions were ok and standard. Looking back, I believe there only a couple regs(since it was late at night) so none of this collusion/softplaying was present. My long session(7pm-midnight ish) went poorly through some run-bad, poor play, but I did notice some of the regs playing differently when they were only ones in the pot. There wasn't too much of that, since it was a Tuesday and there were a decent amount of non-regs there.

I am always wary of the mid-high stakes limit games since many of the players are regulars, and thus are protective of their game. I have seen this at Borgata as well at 10/20 LHE, and to a smaller extent 10/20 OE. Thus, even though I am mediocre at limit games and willing to play decent stakes, the regs definitely do not make you feel welcome, either through their collusion/softplaying or making very obvious that they feel you are a fish. Keep trading money back and forth, seems +EV to me.

I am a semi-reg at PLO at Borg and Parx and I can promise you none of this BS collusion/softplaying crap ever goes on. I do admit at Borgata that I have checked it down time to time with a reg that I consider a friend, but that is only after we have played straightforward, and it happened to get HU. This has not happened at Parx once to the best of my knowledge.
acdawg712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #5667
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

I've played very little of the 6 game, so I can't speak to that, but the 15 and the 30 mix games are both on the up and up, I've played a few hours in both and the action was great, very loose and betting to the river all the time, no Squeeze/Softplaying to speak of.

There are way to many spew monkeys (myself included of course, lol) in PLO to try that crap, if you tried to middle someone, you end up getting 4 bet shoved on by someone that wants to gambool with trash cause there is a lot of money in the pot.
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #5668
FlyingSpaghetti
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WWFSMD?
Posts: 99
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASANDSMAN View Post
The regs here soft play one another/squeeze you out of pots more than I have ever seen at any other venue or game. Especially in the Stud8 round they will squeeze you out with bet/raise and once you fold the two villians will check it down no matter what. Many times they will even throw all their cards face up to sweat it together. They will raise you out, once they are heads up check it down every time.
Squeezing the 3rd guy (caller who is still drawing) in Stud8 is just good poker.

IMO heads up check down is harmless when it's obvious that they're heading for a chop. An example hand where that's *not* obvious would help to make your case.

FWIW I haven't seen anything as egregious as you describe (opening hands early as if all-in) - but l don't have a lot of hours at Parx either. I personally never soft play anyone, ever.
FlyingSpaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #5669
mixn123
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hatboro
Posts: 149
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASANDSMAN View Post
Went to this place last night again for the second time. Wrote a TR about my first experience but thought maybe this time after seeing the same annoying behavior should post it here in hopes maybe some players would see thinking about heading down for some O/E. If you are a non-regular in this game you will be at a huge disadvantage. The regs here soft play one another/squeeze you out of pots more than I have ever seen at any other venue or game. Especially in the Stud8 round they will squeeze you out with bet/raise and once you fold the two villians will check it down no matter what. Many times they will even throw all their cards face up to sweat it together. They will raise you out, once they are heads up check it down every time. I have even seen it done with three of the regs once they bet me out of the pot. Another thing you will find is them capping preflop in the O8 round with any hand imaginable, talking up a storm during the hand, and then again once you are out it gets checked down many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpaghetti View Post
Squeezing the 3rd guy (caller who is still drawing) in Stud8 is just good poker.

IMO heads up check down is harmless when it's obvious that they're heading for a chop. An example hand where that's *not* obvious would help to make your case.

FWIW I haven't seen anything as egregious as you describe (opening hands early as if all-in) - but l don't have a lot of hours at Parx either. I personally never soft play anyone, ever.
I'm normally only able to come out to play once or twice a week on average. I also tend to split my time between the OE 6/12 and 1/2NL.

FlyingSpaghetti here makes some valid points that are consistent with my experiences.

It doesn't take long to pick out the regs and how they play. I see the soft play typically in Stud8 and during 6th or 7th street when heading towards an obvious chop heads up or with non-nut hands and frankly, in this capacity, I really don't care. The ones i've noticed that do soft play with each other are usually the passive regs who only bet very strong hands. You make it sound as though folks are soft playing the nuts and checking it down. I'm not saying you haven't experienced this, I just haven't seen this in my experiences.

In the times i've played, i've never seen cards thrown face up for a sweat before all action is completed heads up or otherwise. I only started to log my sessions recently and after 40 hours in the OE game i've never seen this. With all due respect, it's hard to believe the "many times" you say it's happened in the 2 sessions you've played.

The O8 portion certainly plays more aggressive than Stud8 with no personal exposed cards.

I do see squeezing in both games but I wouldn't say it's anything that I would consider collusive or malicious. I sat in a session the other night with 1 guy i've never played with before. He sat to the left of a very aggressive reg (who would typically bet or raise nearly any flop) and he routinely put in another bet, then would play passive on 4th and 5th street unless he happened to be strong. He did this consistently just to narrow the field. His problem was that he did it much too frequently with top pair no draw, bottom two pair, weak low draw type hands. Much disappointment when he left with what little was left in his stack.

I don't claim to be anything special in these games but narrowing the field in limit drawing games to me is also good poker. Especially when, as it is in Parx 6/12 OE game, there are way too many people who are calling down no matter what trying to hit.
mixn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #5670
UofU2010
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
UofU2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: self-majing in a turbo
Posts: 7,241
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Any 2+2ers at the PLO game right now. Thinking about heading down, but wanted to know who is down there before I make the drive.
UofU2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #5671
PASANDSMAN
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 716
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpaghetti View Post
Squeezing the 3rd guy (caller who is still drawing) in Stud8 is just good poker.

IMO heads up check down is harmless when it's obvious that they're heading for a chop. An example hand where that's *not* obvious would help to make your case.

FWIW I haven't seen anything as egregious as you describe (opening hands early as if all-in) - but l don't have a lot of hours at Parx either. I personally never soft play anyone, ever.
I have been playing mixed games for about ten years now. Played online as well as had home games in many variations. I understand the necessity to protect your hand from potential drawers. I am also a good enough player to be aware when I am getting squeezed out by the same two players on several occasions in the same manner. Three occasions on the main 6/12 game after I folded to the bet/reraise on fifth street both villains flipped up their down cards and sweated sixth and seventh street together even telling the dealer to throw seventh street out face up. I would not make this up, it would not benefit me in any way in making up a story like this. The reason I am posting about it is in hopes of these regs stopping this unethical action or possibly floor monitoring the game more often to make it enjoyable and beatable to outsiders coming in to play the game.

There are certain instances where I do not fault two friends checking it down. However when the action is set so that once you fold out and they automatically check it down no matter what, I am a strong advocate against it. Not only is it unethical but it also gives them a huge edge vs. the newcomers knowing they will have no further bets to call once you fold out. If the action is only ever bet/reraise to me when I am in the hand and always check/check when I fold, how is that fair?? They have a huge edge in doing this time and again. When you put in a third bet when the action goes like that it does throw them for a loop and you can tell it annoys them, but you should be fine with them squeezing you out to get heads up and checking it down. Like I said, I only played two sessions and both were almost mirror images of one another with the same 4 people displaying this behavior in both games. I hope in the future I am proved wrong, because I do enjoy the game but will not be present if this behavior is going on.
PASANDSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #5672
Richyrich9987
adept
 
Richyrich9987's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,159
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Think I'm going to take a trip this Saturday... Hopefully I'll catch some tilty players who busted out early.
Richyrich9987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #5673
Desean Jackson
banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 57
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.08.24

Has Parx announced a September poker freeroll or a better poker promotion for the upcoming month?
Desean Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #5674
mixn123
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hatboro
Posts: 149
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.08.24

Is there any new information on the expanded daily/weekly tournament schedule?

Also, I heard some folks mention that Razz either was or was about to be approved and offered at Parx. Any truth to this?
mixn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #5675
FlyingSpaghetti
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WWFSMD?
Posts: 99
Re: Parx Casino (Bensalem, PA) -- FAQ updated 2011.06.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASANDSMAN View Post
I have been playing mixed games for about ten years now. Played online as well as had home games in many variations. I understand the necessity to protect your hand from potential drawers. I am also a good enough player to be aware when I am getting squeezed out by the same two players on several occasions in the same manner. Three occasions on the main 6/12 game after I folded to the bet/reraise on fifth street both villains flipped up their down cards and sweated sixth and seventh street together even telling the dealer to throw seventh street out face up. I would not make this up, it would not benefit me in any way in making up a story like this. The reason I am posting about it is in hopes of these regs stopping this unethical action or possibly floor monitoring the game more often to make it enjoyable and beatable to outsiders coming in to play the game.

There are certain instances where I do not fault two friends checking it down. However when the action is set so that once you fold out and they automatically check it down no matter what, I am a strong advocate against it. Not only is it unethical but it also gives them a huge edge vs. the newcomers knowing they will have no further bets to call once you fold out. If the action is only ever bet/reraise to me when I am in the hand and always check/check when I fold, how is that fair?? They have a huge edge in doing this time and again. When you put in a third bet when the action goes like that it does throw them for a loop and you can tell it annoys them, but you should be fine with them squeezing you out to get heads up and checking it down. Like I said, I only played two sessions and both were almost mirror images of one another with the same 4 people displaying this behavior in both games. I hope in the future I am proved wrong, because I do enjoy the game but will not be present if this behavior is going on.
Without an example hand, I can't really judge for myself just how unfair it was (again, esp. in stud8) But you saw what you saw; and with 10 years playing mixed games I'll give that you probably aren't misinterpreting it.

So if it's that obvious, talk to the floor away from the table. Ask the floor to come and watch the game for a bit; ask the floor to consult with the dealers as well. From what I've read in this thread, it seems that management at Parx will take it seriously. Actually, you could also PM Ari (the room manager) with your complaint - that way you can name names, etc. The more details the better. Good luck.
FlyingSpaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive