Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #376
Bishop22
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 2,784
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent87 View Post
Frankly, I think they should wait the extra 2 months to open if this is the case. First impressions are everything. If you screw it up at the beginning, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to ever get into good graces again. Also, some people will visit and see a long wait list of low limit games and no high limit games and then never come back again if they don't know the place is expanding. It's best to wait and do it right the first time.
Agreed, IMO partial rollout > Waiting 2 months > halfass opening that deters most first timers from returning

While I am making dead-on prediction, if you don't have $2 chips, 8-16 will not last.
Bishop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #377
PokerSki13
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 315
Smile Re: PARX Poker Thread

with all due respect to limit holdem, stud, omaha, and etc., players i hope they let supply and demand dictate the games offered. If 7 people want to play stud and there is constantly a long list for NL holdem...spread the NL game if there is an open table.

Same thing for stakes. To me it is rediculous that harrahs chester has so mnay 2/4 and 3/6 games when there are long lists for NL 2/5. IMO the room needs to cater to the higher limits when there are a limited number of tables (ie demand exceeds supply). This will build the rooms reputation. When the room expands spread lower limits if you can not fill the seats at higher limits.

I hope that they make 2/5 the lowest NL holdem stakes (or limit the number of 1/2 NL holdem)...if Harrahs did this, my guess is that they would still be full every night and cust satisfaction would be much better. True you would lose a percentage of players who want to play only 1/2 NL. Same with limit, make 5/10 the lowest.

By doing this you will cater to the "higher" stakes player, make more money for the casino and increase cust satisfaction. Bottom line assuming demad is greater than supply, every principle of business would say that you need to increase your capacity. If you cannot increase capacity you need to cater to your most profitable customers and in general higher stakes equal higher value customers and will build the reputation of the room. Of course they could just have a higher rake and piss everyone off!
PokerSki13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #378
LondonBroil
Pooh-Bah
 
LondonBroil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The one who is knocking
Posts: 4,937
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSki13 View Post
By doing this you will cater to the "higher" stakes player, make more money for the casino and increase cust satisfaction. Bottom line assuming demad is greater than supply, every principle of business would say that you need to increase your capacity. If you cannot increase capacity you need to cater to your most profitable customers and in general higher stakes equal higher value customers and will build the reputation of the room. Of course they could just have a higher rake and piss everyone off!
Flawed thinking. They'd make less money because a lot of people wouldn't play 2/5. They'd also decrease customer satisfaction because of all the pissed off 1/2NL players who can't play. Also, 1/2NL players are a more profitable group as a whole than 2/5NL since there are so much more of them.
LondonBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #379
News777
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 721
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Pennsylvania laws are stupid preventing more poker tables vs table games. Considering how heavily Pa is taxing the casinos they should let them determine the amount of poker
tables that are allowed.
News777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #380
btr5017
adept
 
btr5017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,141
Re: PARX Poker Thread

LOL at a poker room ever not having 1/2 NL and increasing customer satisfaction. There is a reason there are 15 tables of 1/2 and 3 tables of 2/5. So many more people want to play 1/2 its not even close. It would also chase all the fish away. Some players wanna buy in for 100, play for awhile then leave, and they would not be able to do this at 2/5
btr5017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #381
Bishop22
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 2,784
Re: PARX Poker Thread

If I were a 1-2NL player I'd be a lot happier seeing a sign saying '1-2NL coming in December' than going all the way there multiple times and having a 3+ hour wait. The Bellagio didn't have 1-2NL until recently because they had sufficient demand for higher games to fill the room. That is probably not the best option, however, going NL only with limit hold'em, stud and Omaha coming in December would probably be better, both options are infinitely better than what is actually going to happen.
Bishop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #382
Gydyon
journeyman
 
Gydyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 240
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by News777 View Post
Pennsylvania laws are stupid preventing more poker tables vs table games. Considering how heavily Pa is taxing the casinos they should let them determine the amount of poker
tables that are allowed.
That's actually why the rules are the way they are. Table games are taxed significantly less than slots, so the state wanted ot make sure they still get their share -- therefore, the number of slots can't be reduced to make room for table games without approval, and table games can't exceed a certain percentage of the gaming.

Yes, it's stupid, but it's revenue-motivated.
Gydyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #383
PokerSki13
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 315
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by btr5017 View Post
LOL at a poker room ever not having 1/2 NL and increasing customer satisfaction. There is a reason there are 15 tables of 1/2 and 3 tables of 2/5. So many more people want to play 1/2 its not even close. It would also chase all the fish away. Some players wanna buy in for 100, play for awhile then leave, and they would not be able to do this at 2/5
my point is with a limited number of tables you cannot be everything to everyone. IMO common business sense is to maximize revenue by catering to higher stakes. Higher stakes game will also enhance the reputation of the poker room. Think about blackjack or craps. Do casinos offer $2 or $5 blackjack and crap tables if they can get higher games going...no they do not. Only second tier places cater to the lowest limits.

I would be willing to make a bet that if harrahs chester had 2/5 NL as the lowest stakes NLH game that they would be just as busy as a high percentage of 1/2 players would just play 2/5.

If memory serves me correct for quite some time the Bellagio was the center of the poker universe and they only offered 2/5 NL and above...and i believe they started limit at 15/30. It is only the last couple of years that they have offered 1/2 NL.
PokerSki13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #384
LondonBroil
Pooh-Bah
 
LondonBroil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The one who is knocking
Posts: 4,937
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSki13 View Post
I would be willing to make a bet that if harrahs chester had 2/5 NL as the lowest stakes NLH game that they would be just as busy as a high percentage of 1/2 players would just play 2/5.
I wish there was a way to take that bet. No way in hell a "high percentage" of 1/2 players would play 2/5. They'd just go somewhere else that has 1/2.
LondonBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #385
microstakesrave
old hand
 
microstakesrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: William Penns Woods
Posts: 1,719
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerSki13 View Post
my point is with a limited number of tables you cannot be everything to everyone. IMO common business sense is to maximize revenue by catering to higher stakes. Higher stakes game will also enhance the reputation of the poker room.
100% agreed.

I definitely understand that 2/5 and the 10/20 games at minimum would drastically increase the rooms image and I would LOVE to play in a room like that, but then again .. is that what the house really wants?

Some seats are just straight up gross according who you are sitting next to, across from, etc. Not that I'm saying the high limit tables aren't, but it's less likely. And has higher odds of people actually showering.

I digress, but would it be rudimentary to argue that they are using the poker room to get players into the building? What if somebody comes in and wins $400 then blows it on Blackjack in an hour .. The house would have only made $10 off that player on 2/5, but instead they made $400. I'm sure since this is a poker forum many will argue that they just come in to play poker and then leave, but I'm sure many plan to do that. Then try and get even on craps, roulette, slots, horses, whatever your fancy is ..

Not to mention people bring friends. Friends might gamble. They might drink. Eat. Lotta of options. Lot of options ..

Thoughts?
microstakesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #386
cmurl904
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 977
Re: PARX Poker Thread

With only 24 tables it may be impossible to spread anything other than 1/2 & 2/5 NL, and maybe a limit game or two. Probably like what going on @ Delaware Park right now (they have 25 tables).

I agree with not having 2/4 or 3/6 LHE...4/8 should be the lowest limit. It might be suicide for them not to spread 1/2 NL when they could 100% fill 12-16 tables of the 24 with 1/2 NL.

IMO, when Parx expands they could mimic the Venetian LV. Spacious, classy room, with a good # of tables/limits. They have 39 tables and regularly spread ;
1/2, 2/5 NL
4/8, 8/16 LHE
4/8, 8/16 O8
They also get 5/10 & higher NL, 15/30 LHE, a high limit stud game, PLO, and a low limit mixed game.

If Parx ended up like that I'd think it could seriously rival the Borgata room.

Last edited by cmurl904; 08-18-2010 at 08:10 PM.
cmurl904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #387
Ari
Poker Room Rep
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Parx
Posts: 190
Re: PARX Poker Thread

That is our plan! We are really excited about this opportunity.
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #388
Bishop22
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 2,784
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
That is our plan! We are really excited about this opportunity.
So there are definitely no $2 chips planned/applied for? I can't think of a single 8-16 in the country that uses whites and reds, you'd be better off with a pink chip game.
Bishop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #389
IFSATG
adept
 
IFSATG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Searchn4Lite NtheDarknessOfInsanity
Posts: 714
Re: PARX Poker Thread

No one has applied for the creation and use of $2 chips. They have discussed that in NJ many, many times and no one had ever brought that forward to the NJCCC,either.

Why?

Because of the cost. The pink chip would not even exist if not for the silly law (that reamains unchangeable) stating that table game wagers cannot be paid in cash. Hence they cannot give you .50 for the BJ payoff. It costs a lot of money to create, manufacture and account for, another denomination of chip. It's not just the manufacturing cost. In fact, that is the smallest part of the overall cost.

You can be pretty sure that you will not ever see $2 chips in PA or NJ casinos.
IFSATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #390
=VH= Fan
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 315
Re: PARX Poker Thread

If our biggest problem is not having a $2 chip, we'll be in fine shape.
=VH= Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #391
Owlmanda
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the pit
Posts: 145
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop22 View Post
So there are definitely no $2 chips planned/applied for? I can't think of a single 8-16 in the country that uses whites and reds, you'd be better off with a pink chip game.
Parx doesn't have pink chips... at least not yet.
Owlmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #392
RobTheDuck
old hand
 
RobTheDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,449
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFSATG View Post
You can be pretty sure that you will not ever see $2 chips in PA or NJ casinos.
Except perhaps in Chester, PA where blue $2 chips are in play. Oh, and maybe anywhere else that decides to use them.
RobTheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #393
Gydyon
journeyman
 
Gydyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 240
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFSATG View Post
No one has applied for the creation and use of $2 chips. They have discussed that in NJ many, many times and no one had ever brought that forward to the NJCCC,either.

Why?

Because of the cost. The pink chip would not even exist if not for the silly law (that reamains unchangeable) stating that table game wagers cannot be paid in cash. Hence they cannot give you .50 for the BJ payoff. It costs a lot of money to create, manufacture and account for, another denomination of chip. It's not just the manufacturing cost. In fact, that is the smallest part of the overall cost.

You can be pretty sure that you will not ever see $2 chips in PA or NJ casinos.
There are $2 chips at the Rivers. They look just like the $25s.
Gydyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #394
Owlmanda
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the pit
Posts: 145
Re: PARX Poker Thread

And Parx pays blackjack wagers with 50 cent pieces.
Owlmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #395
beetman
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,507
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I never heard of a one hand penalty with checking the nuts on the river. I can not see that being a TDA rule, but they seem to update quite often.
It's apparently a new rule to this past WSOP. There's a fairly long thread about it in BBV where the consensus seems to be that it's a great rule, which surprises me since I thought it was pretty clearly a bad rule.
beetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #396
Lovesantiques
A Classic
 
Lovesantiques's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Castle, Delaware
Posts: 3,879
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop22 View Post
So there are definitely no $2 chips planned/applied for? I can't think of a single 8-16 in the country that uses whites and reds, you'd be better off with a pink chip game.
When I was talking with Ari, he said that they were going to use $2 chips for the 8-16 game. Perhaps others as well (4-8?) I don't recall.

Lee
Lovesantiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #397
jack492505
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,272
Re: PARX Poker Thread

sorry in advance because im sure this question had been answered 600 times already, but is the poker room open? and if not any idea on a timeframe? Would love some alternative to Atlantic City.
jack492505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #398
dealer1977
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack492505 View Post
sorry in advance because im sure this question had been answered 600 times already, but is the poker room open? and if not any idea on a timeframe? Would love some alternative to Atlantic City.
read up on the thread before u start asking stupid questions, lazy people dont wanna read
dealer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #399
jack492505
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,272
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer1977 View Post
read up on the thread before u start asking stupid questions, lazy people dont wanna read
meh its a long thread and in the time you took to berate me you easily could have answered my question if you know the answer. But whatever, obviously knew some people would freak out, thats why i apologized ahead of time. Thanks for your help.
jack492505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #400
agent87
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 238
Re: PARX Poker Thread

here the executive summary of what I've read. hopefully I won't mangle anything here:

1. The grand opening is planned for October. Although, it seems that's not set in stone yet.
2. They are planning Vegas style stakes for limit games (YAY!) - 4/8, 8/16, 15/30, 30/60.
3. Initial opening will only be 24 tables due to some absurd PA legislation about the number of tables vs the number of slots. There are plans to increase it in the future
4. People believe that Parx will grab a huge market share from Harrah's Chester
5. No limit players seem to despise limit players

I think that pretty much sums up 27 pages/400 posts. If anyone sees something I got wrong, please correct it.
agent87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive