Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #2626
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Interesting, I would love to have stradles and business, that would be great if Parx decided to add it. Ari what do you think?
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:22 AM   #2627
Coasterbrad
veteran
 
Coasterbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,712
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasterbrad View Post
Has the reg to recreational ratio changed at all since the expansion?
Still don't think anyone talked about this. Any difference from before the expansion? Thanks
Coasterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #2628
ashinynickel
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,608
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasterbrad View Post
Still don't think anyone talked about this. Any difference from before the expansion? Thanks
I can only comment on 2/5 but tonight there were 8 tables of 2/5, more than there have ever been, and there were certainly many good tables when you have that many to pick from. Sure, all the regs were there but they end up being more spread out. I think the games have gotten better but obviously not where they were at opening.

Glancing at 5/10 and 10/25, the game didn't seem that soft but I don't really know since I get crushed at those tables when I take shots.
ashinynickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #2629
Shagadelic
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 874
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoplander1 View Post
For anyone interested in taking a bus from NYC...

There are now Chinatown buses running from Manhattan (Bowery Street) to Parx starting at 8:30AM and departing every hour. Tickets are $16 and Parx gives $40 in slot play upon arrival (i.e. profit $24 before you step into the poker room).

If you don't mind riding the bus with the homeless, people with open wounds, registered sex offenders or the mentally insane, this may be an option for you.
Thinking about heading down to Parx. Anyone know any additional details/tried this bus route? Website available? How often do the buses return to NYC? How long is the trip? Weighing driving vs a very cheap bus option...

How bad is the clientele? Is it Greyhound to AC sketchy? Or just Academy to AC (really not sketchy at all)
Shagadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #2630
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagadelic View Post
Thinking about heading down to Parx. Anyone know any additional details/tried this bus route? Website available? How often do the buses return to NYC? How long is the trip? Weighing driving vs a very cheap bus option...

How bad is the clientele? Is it Greyhound to AC sketchy? Or just Academy to AC (really not sketchy at all)
From what I've seen the bus is mostly Asian's coming to play in the new downstairs pit games. Doesn't look too sketchy, Idk about the schedule, but they seem to run fairly often, the return trips from Parx are all listed on the board downstairs, seems like there is one every hour and they go to Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens.
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #2631
Lovesantiques
A Classic
 
Lovesantiques's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Castle, Delaware
Posts: 3,879
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMc View Post
Interesting, I would love to have stradles and business, that would be great if Parx decided to add it. Ari what do you think?
By "business", I take it that you mean things like running it twice? I'ld be totally against that, simply because it would slow the game up ALOT!

Let's just play poker, and leave the fancy "business" stuff to the really high end players in Bobby's room, etc.

Thank you and Happy New Year everybody!

Lee
Lovesantiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #2632
hlacheen
adept
 
hlacheen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,051
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Heading up there today around 1pm for 1/2nl. Is calling ahead necessary? If so, how far ahead is optimal?
hlacheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #2633
Katman
adept
 
Katman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philly Aquarium
Posts: 708
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlacheen View Post
Heading up there today around 1pm for 1/2nl. Is calling ahead necessary? If so, how far ahead is optimal?
Not necessary.....but try like 10 minutes before you arrive just to eliminate almost any wait.
Katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #2634
JONATHANM
banned
 
JONATHANM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 911 9ff turbo please
Posts: 636
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsgift View Post
. I personally LOVE IT with all reds. Stacking up a monster pot NEVER GETS OLD, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONATHANM View Post
You could always get your BR up and play w/ the big boys at 50/100+ if you need to be mesmerized by a huge pile of chips in the pot all the time.
Guess I got that right



Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelieveinkolb View Post
The comp system at Parx is BS. AT
I'm guessing they didn't get the comp system updated yet?
JONATHANM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #2635
burthoovis
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 136
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMc View Post
No its 1-2 with a 5 bring in much different game
How is that any different ? The blinds are 1 - 2 - 5.

If anything that makes the game $1 bigger than standard $2 - $5 blinds.

In a standard $1/$2 game the typical opening raise is $7 with a raising limit of $10. In a $1/$2/$5 game that Parx is spreading now, I have no idea what the standard opener is, but the limit jumps to $26. A $26 opening raise in a game where the buy-in limits are as low as $100 is silly.

Not that I can afford that game anyway, but if I wanted to do $200 coin flips, I"ll just go down stairs and play blackjack.

To post the game as a $1/$2 PLO and have the buy-in limits for $1/$2, but really spread it as a $1/$2/$5 is disingenuous.

It seems like an obvious attempt to deceive players.
burthoovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #2636
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
There is no 3rd blind. It is a bring in. The open is 5 to 20. The max buy in for the game is 500, so it plays deep post flop. 1-2 plo usually plays with a 5 bring in. I'm not going to go into why here but Jeff Hwang has some excellent posts on the subject and I highly recomend them.
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #2637
ShipFaced12
journeyman
 
ShipFaced12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NE Philly
Posts: 246
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by burthoovis View Post
How is that any different ? The blinds are 1 - 2 - 5.

In a standard $1/$2 game the typical opening raise is $7 with a raising limit of $10. In a $1/$2/$5 game that Parx is spreading now, I have no idea what the standard opener is, but the limit jumps to $26. A $26 opening raise in a game where the buy-in limits are as low as $100 is silly.
By making it a $1/2 with a $5 bring in we are just making it easier for the dealers to count the pot and making the game run alot of smoother. If you are "bringing it in" you can make it $5, 10, or 15 preflop. $100 min buy-in is silly but whatever. Depending on whether a home game is running or not I will be at Parx tonight hoping to play some PLO. If not, have a safe and happy new year all!
ShipFaced12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #2638
Rapini
ragging
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 13,099
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMc View Post
There is no 3rd blind. It is a bring in. The open is 5 to 20. The max buy in for the game is 500, so it plays deep post flop. 1-2 plo usually plays with a 5 bring in. I'm not going to go into why here but Jeff Hwang has some excellent posts on the subject and I highly recomend them.
Open should be to fifteen if there are no limpers. In Hwang's game @ the V, the blinds together counted as $5, so if you were to bet pot UTG, the bet would be $15. (Maybe Ari has decided on different rules for the Parx game.)
Rapini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #2639
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,115
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMc View Post
There is no 3rd blind. It is a bring in. The open is 5 to 20. The max buy in for the game is 500, so it plays deep post flop. 1-2 plo usually plays with a 5 bring in. I'm not going to go into why here but Jeff Hwang has some excellent posts on the subject and I highly recomend them.
I really dont think this is usually true of 1/2 PLO games. I believe it is a recent innovation of Jeff Hwang's invention. If you can open to 20, it does sound like this is much closer to a standard 2/5 game than a standard 1/2 game. I have no problem with the game's structure per se, but it sounds like an awfully high stakes game to be the entry-level PLO game in a casino, particularly considering the variance inherent in PLO.
NickMPK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #2640
burthoovis
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 136
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipFaced12 View Post
By making it a $1/2 with a $5 bring in we are just making it easier for the dealers to count the pot and making the game run alot of smoother. If you are "bringing it in" you can make it $5, 10, or 15 preflop. $100 min buy-in is silly but whatever. Depending on whether a home game is running or not I will be at Parx tonight hoping to play some PLO. If not, have a safe and happy new year all!

That would make sense if it was being played as a $5 bring in, but its not. If being played as a $5 forced bet UTG. That's my problem with the way its being done.

And the effect on counting the pot is marginal at best.

But the side issue to all of this is that I believe it's killing the chances of ever seeing the game grow at Parx. PLO at the 1/2 level has the chance of drawing in NL1/2 players and guys interested in trying out the game. I've personally sat in on the game at 1/2/5, seen those guys come in, sit one rotation and leave because the way its being spread. Last night the game was 6 handed and two guys left when it went to 1/2/5.

The game ran 35 minutes as 1/2, then maybe only another hour at 1/2/5 after all the short stacks busted. Then...no game. I'm not sure how that benefits anyone.

Meanwhile there were two full tables of O8 going

If there's every going to be a chance for 2/5 PLO ( or higher) being spread at Parx, then they're going to have to cultivate players and bankrolls. That happens by establishing a regular running low limit game that's accomodating ( meaning that the regulars should do their best to no insult and run of newbies).

Parx should two tables, even if they're short handed tables. A regular running PLO 1/2 ( 100-300) and at peak times a PLO 2/5 ( 200-1000). In 3 months both games would run regularly.
burthoovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #2641
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by burthoovis View Post
That would make sense if it was being played as a $5 bring in, but its not. If being played as a $5 forced bet UTG. That's my problem with the way its being done.

And the effect on counting the pot is marginal at best.

But the side issue to all of this is that I believe it's killing the chances of ever seeing the game grow at Parx. PLO at the 1/2 level has the chance of drawing in NL1/2 players and guys interested in trying out the game. I've personally sat in on the game at 1/2/5, seen those guys come in, sit one rotation and leave because the way its being spread. Last night the game was 6 handed and two guys left when it went to 1/2/5.

The game ran 35 minutes as 1/2, then maybe only another hour at 1/2/5 after all the short stacks busted. Then...no game. I'm not sure how that benefits anyone.

Meanwhile there were two full tables of O8 going

If there's every going to be a chance for 2/5 PLO ( or higher) being spread at Parx, then they're going to have to cultivate players and bankrolls. That happens by establishing a regular running low limit game that's accomodating ( meaning that the regulars should do their best to no insult and run of newbies).

Parx should two tables, even if they're short handed tables. A regular running PLO 1/2 ( 100-300) and at peak times a PLO 2/5 ( 200-1000). In 3 months both games would run regularly.
There's so much wrong in your post I'm going to take it point by point.

1. It's not a forced UTG bet, UTG is free to fold, bring it in for 5 or Raise. I don't know where you're getting this from, but its just not true.

2. 1/2 NL players are not the target to grow PLO, they don't have the bankroll and the game will bust them quick. The target for crossover is 2/5 NL and higher. Even 1/2 PLO with no bring in is too big for the average live 1/2 player.

3. The game ran from 730-1030 last night, so 3 hours not 1. The Five bring in was added on 12/22 and there has been no decrease in the number of days/hours the game has run.

http://www.taeyeonkim.com/parx/index.php?game=plo12

1-2 with a 5 bring in runs every night at Rivers in Pittsburg, there's no reason it can't do the same at Parx.
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #2642
BriMc
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seat Change Button Please Dealer!
Posts: 1,467
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
Open should be to fifteen if there are no limpers. In Hwang's game @ the V, the blinds together counted as $5, so if you were to bet pot UTG, the bet would be $15. (Maybe Ari has decided on different rules for the Parx game.)
This was how it was originally, but last night all the dealers were saying yesterday each blind counted as 5. Im fine with it either way, but some clarification from Ari would be nice.
BriMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #2643
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,115
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMc View Post

2. 1/2 NL players are not the target to grow PLO, they don't have the bankroll and the game will bust them quick. The target for crossover is 2/5 NL and higher. Even 1/2 PLO with no bring in is too big for the average live 1/2 player.
If 1/2 PLO with no bring in is too big for the average 1/2 player, isn't the same game with a 5 bring in (essentially a 2/5 game) too big for the average 2/5 player?

I am a 2/5 NL player myself (and also play 15/30 and 20/40 LHE), and I have enjoyed playing 1/2 PLO on several occasions (including once at Parx w/o the 5 bring in). But 2/5 PLO is too big and has too much variance for me, particularly since I do no know the game very well. If the game is played with a 5 bring in and a 20 opening raise, I am not going to be playing in it...and I doubt many 2/5 NL are willing to dip their toes into the water at those stakes.

If you are targeting "higher" players, then good luck....but seeing as how Parx usually only gets one table of 5/10 NL going, I don't think this player pool is really big enough to draw from.
NickMPK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #2644
parxface
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chasing the Paydirt
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMPK View Post
If 1/2 PLO with no bring in is too big for the average 1/2 player, isn't the same game with a 5 bring in (essentially a 2/5 game) too big for the average 2/5 player?

I am a 2/5 NL player myself (and also play 15/30 and 20/40 LHE), and I have enjoyed playing 1/2 PLO on several occasions (including once at Parx w/o the 5 bring in). But 2/5 PLO is too big and has too much variance for me, particularly since I do no know the game very well. If the game is played with a 5 bring in and a 20 opening raise, I am not going to be playing in it...and I doubt many 2/5 NL are willing to dip their toes into the water at those stakes.

If you are targeting "higher" players, then good luck....but seeing as how Parx usually only gets one table of 5/10 NL going, I don't think this player pool is really big enough to draw from.
Well why don't you sit at 1/2 plo and let us play 1.2.5 noone says it has to be played with the bring in. But everyone agress and the game does run much smoother. Some of the dealers have a tough time counting the pot...I know the bring in helps me...and I don't mind the action the 5 brings in either
parxface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #2645
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,115
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by parxface View Post
Well why don't you sit at 1/2 plo and let us play 1.2.5 noone says it has to be played with the bring in. But everyone agress and the game does run much smoother. Some of the dealers have a tough time counting the pot...I know the bring in helps me...and I don't mind the action the 5 brings in either
I said this in an earlier post, but I have no problem with the structure of this game if there is already a lower stakes entry-level game out there. If I had the option to play in 1/2 PLO w/out the bring in, I would play in it. But does that option even exist now? Does Parx ever get more than one table of PLO at any stake?
NickMPK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #2646
parxface
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chasing the Paydirt
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMPK View Post
I said this in an earlier post, but I have no problem with the structure of this game if there is already a lower stakes entry-level game out there. If I had the option to play in 1/2 PLO w/out the bring in, I would play in it. But does that option even exist now? Does Parx ever get more than one table of PLO at any stake?
It would if you put all the effort in to getting a plo 125 gaming going as all of us did. Constantly asking floorto call the game/playing short/texting regs ect.
parxface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #2647
corinthian23
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 123
Re: PARX Poker Thread

How crowded does everyone think the room will be tomorrow night? Huge wait list or no?
corinthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #2648
burthoovis
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 136
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMc View Post
There's so much wrong in your post I'm going to take it point by point.

1. It's not a forced UTG bet, UTG is free to fold, bring it in for 5 or Raise. I don't know where you're getting this from, but its just not true.

3. The game ran from 730-1030 last night, so 3 hours not 1.
1. Come on Brian that's ********. I've played with you for hours and watched you badger the player UTG for not posting the $5 blind pre-deal.

3. Here's the irony about last night. The game ran from 7:30 until about 8:05 when you got there, with the opening bet being about $7 on average. You showed up, made a shitfest out of things, reduced the table by two, and ran the game into muck as a $5 limp-fest.

The only saving grace was watching you drop $500 before the game broke.

If it makes your hourly rate better to divide -$500 by 3 hours instead of 1, then who am I to argue Especially after you bought my lunch this afternoon.

Last edited by burthoovis; 12-30-2010 at 11:22 PM.
burthoovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #2649
burthoovis
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 136
Re: PARX Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by parxface View Post
Well why don't you sit at 1/2 plo and let us play 1.2.5 noone says it has to be played with the bring in. But everyone agress and the game does run much smoother. Some of the dealers have a tough time counting the pot...I know the bring in helps me...and I don't mind the action the 5 brings in either
Last night there were 5 players at the table playing $1/$2 and happy.

Brian showed up and insisted that it be $1/$2/$5 and, literally, drove two players (dead money) off the table.

The problem is that's its not longer "what ther players agree to". The default position is a $5 bring in.

Quite simply, I don't have a problem with the game. Just post it for what it is, a $2/$5 game and make the buy in appropriate.
burthoovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #2650
parxface
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chasing the Paydirt
Posts: 588
Re: PARX Poker Thread

To come to brians defense...he usually loses 1 or2 buyins before he win 4 or 5
parxface is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive