Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

View Poll Results: Which casino operator would you prefer to get E. Mass. license?
Wynn/Everett? 131 72.78%
Mohegan/Revere? 49 27.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #4426
PokerGuvnA
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 261
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh View Post
I have no idea what the NH law is or says, but that is not what table stakes is or means.

Table stakes means that you can play for the amount you have left in front of you, i.e. You can be all in, rather than having to go into your pocket for enough money to call someone else's bet. It isn't specific to limit or NL, though it is more important in NL.
Agreed. Thought it was a New Hampshire quirk. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly how it was worded so googling it is just giving me a bunch of non-New Hampshire results. And I'm way too exhausted to read through the whole charitable gaming law again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
PokerGuvnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #4427
MJ88
veteran
 
MJ88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,938
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh View Post
I have no idea what the NH law is or says, but that is not what table stakes is or means.

Table stakes means that you can (and must) play for the amount you have left in front of you, i.e. You can be all in, rather than having to go into your pocket for enough money to call someone else's bet. It isn't specific to limit or NL, though it is more important in NL.
Well, yes, of course, in common usage. But if the NH regulation actually defines table stakes otherwise, then that's what probably what it means for legal purposes. (It's really a shame that poker is often regulated by people who have no experience or understanding of the game.) Or maybe they'll use common sense and simply ignore the wording?
FWIW, if you read the quoted law closely, it would seem to apply to NL but not to PL. (?!?) Also, it seems to specify $150 max single buyins, but they have already been allowing much more than this.
I'm just going to wait to see how all this sorts itself out. But it's got to be an improvement.
MJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #4428
PokerPlayer80
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 486
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Lots of talk at Chasers tonight about them adding a second location in Salem. Anyone else heard this and what are your thoughts on this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PokerPlayer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #4429
Big Whoop
adept
 
Big Whoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 837
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer80 View Post
Lots of talk at Chasers tonight about them adding a second location in Salem. Anyone else heard this and what are your thoughts on this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was at chasers yesterday too, didn't hear that one. To me that sounds like a baseless rumor. I could see Chasers moving to a bigger place but not opening a second venue in the same town.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Big Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #4430
Rizzeedizzee
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,605
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Whoop View Post
I was at chasers yesterday too, didn't hear that one. To me that sounds like a baseless rumor. I could see Chasers moving to a bigger place but not opening a second venue in the same town.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Yeah - the natural landing spot for a second location would seem to be Nashua, to get the Mass folks like me for whom Route 93 is the nut low and route 3, while not much better, is still a bit less terrible to brave on most days.
Rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #4431
CassandraG
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 16
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Whoop View Post
I was at chasers yesterday too, didn't hear that one. To me that sounds like a baseless rumor. I could see Chasers moving to a bigger place but not opening a second venue in the same town.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Unless theyíre speculating about taking over Cheers...
CassandraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #4432
PokerPlayer80
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 486
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

This is nothing I heard ó just speculation on my part. But if Chasers does add a second location, I wonder if it would be used primarily as a tournament room?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PokerPlayer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #4433
Lattimer
I are smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 13,973
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

It seems silly to own 2 locations a couple of miles apart. What's the goal?
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #4434
Big Whoop
adept
 
Big Whoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 837
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Apparently, NH gaming commission has interest in that ladies postings on fb in NH poker news forum if and when the hearing ever takes place.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Big Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #4435
snowman
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ON THE ROAD AGAIN
Posts: 997
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer80 View Post
This is nothing I heard ó just speculation on my part. But if Chasers does add a second location, I wonder if it would be used primarily as a tournament room?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and you still think they had nothing to do with cheers troubles

I gotta a nice bridge for sale cheap
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #4436
PokerPlayer80
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 486
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
and you still think they had nothing to do with cheers troubles



I gotta a nice bridge for sale cheap


Iím not sure if youíre referring to me specifically here, but just because I liked Cheers doesnít mean I donít respect Chasers. Iíve always been amazed at their ability to have the most cash games running in the state.

Also, check my posting history from last October. I went to Chasers on opening day and gave them a favorable write-up here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PokerPlayer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #4437
Fore
old hand
 
Fore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,217
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
I was thinking the same thing re: 4-8 limit. There's no way 0 rooms were spreading it if they could've been. There must be something in the law prohibiting it.
What about an 8-16 with the turn and river played as 8-16SL. Would expect this to play much like a standard limit game. Years ago we had 3-6-12 here where the river bet could be with 6 or 12. Obviously this was not spread limit but it also only applied to river.

EDIT Or could play the turn and river both as 8 or 16 like the old 3-6-12.

Btw I hated that 3-6-12 game. I still prefer limit of nl but not at the 2-4, 3-6, or even 4-8

Last edited by Fore; 06-17-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Addes
Fore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 AM   #4438
ABCforME
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 101
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

The $4/hr promotion Cheers had going was just such an obvious way to not pay out high hand money and keep it. Half the players left without checking their hours accurately and amateur players didn't even bother to collect the money. Last time I was there I was told I couldn't be paid until a random Wednesday coming up, so I told them I would call the gaming commission and they changed their tune and paid me on the spot.

My favorite Puck story was when I made a $400 high hand on the flop with quad kings and bet everyone out to protect my three kicker. Puck told me I couldn't be paid since it didn't go to showdown. Was very adamant until I also threatened to call the gaming commission. Employees rushed to his defense and claimed he just didn't know the rules.
ABCforME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #4439
PokerGuvnA
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 261
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCforME View Post
The $4/hr promotion Cheers had going was just such an obvious way to not pay out high hand money and keep it. Half the players left without checking their hours accurately and amateur players didn't even bother to collect the money. Last time I was there I was told I couldn't be paid until a random Wednesday coming up, so I told them I would call the gaming commission and they changed their tune and paid me on the spot.

My favorite Puck story was when I made a $400 high hand on the flop with quad kings and bet everyone out to protect my three kicker. Puck told me I couldn't be paid since it didn't go to showdown. Was very adamant until I also threatened to call the gaming commission. Employees rushed to his defense and claimed he just didn't know the rules.
Yikes. As if that was better. "He's not cheating you, he's just incompetent." New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
PokerGuvnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #4440
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,705
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Whoop View Post
Apparently, NH gaming commission has interest in that ladies postings on fb in NH poker news forum if and when the hearing ever takes place.
You don't say!

I'm an old guy, been in this business half my life, all over the USA... never seen anything like this, anywhere.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #4441
PokerPlayer80
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 486
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Is the Manchester poker room dying/dead now in terms of cash games?

I know it was Fatherís Day yesterday, but still, they had only 1 cash table. Hell, even Seabrook had two cash games going when I looked.

Iíve also noticed that even during their promo days lately, Manchester is often only getting 3 or so tables at most.

Is this room in some trouble?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PokerPlayer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #4442
12bigworm81
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 978
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzeedizzee View Post
Yeah - the natural landing spot for a second location would seem to be Nashua, to get the Mass folks like me for whom Route 93 is the nut low and route 3, while not much better, is still a bit less terrible to brave on most days.
Nashua has 2 rooms.
12bigworm81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #4443
Call...how much?
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fantasy Land
Posts: 69
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
and you still think they had nothing to do with cheers troubles

I gotta a nice bridge for sale cheap
Do you mean because they are doing most things right? I hope we are not going down the other road again. Puck is the only person to blame here. The buck stops at the king.
Call...how much? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #4444
bsheck
old hand
 
bsheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Doin you a favor bro
Posts: 1,491
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bigworm81 View Post
Nashua has 2 rooms.
If they're going to open a room anywhere how about halfway between Salem and Manchester? A room in Londonderry would be nice.
bsheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #4445
Big Whoop
adept
 
Big Whoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 837
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call...how much? View Post
Do you mean because they are doing most things right? I hope we are not going down the other road again. Puck is the only person to blame here. The buck stops at the king.
With the grammar snowman displayed, I wouldn't be surprised if puck was behind that acct just like some of the obvious fake accounts he uses on fb.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Big Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #4446
CassandraG
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 16
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer80 View Post
Is the Manchester poker room dying/dead now in terms of cash games?

I know it was Fatherís Day yesterday, but still, they had only 1 cash table. Hell, even Seabrook had two cash games going when I looked.

Iíve also noticed that even during their promo days lately, Manchester is often only getting 3 or so tables at most.

Is this room in some trouble?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The times Iíve been there theyíve had at least 3 or 4 cash tables. The only sizable tournament they seem to pull off is the Tues/Thurs one. The couple of times Iíve gone to play Saturday theyíve had less than two tables.
CassandraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #4447
Bugsyyy
centurion
 
Bugsyyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 157
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer80 View Post
Lots of talk at Chasers tonight about them adding a second location in Salem. Anyone else heard this and what are your thoughts on this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They already have the best location in NH, why would they move?
Bugsyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #4448
PokerPlayer80
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 486
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsyyy View Post
They already have the best location in NH, why would they move?


From what I heard, itís not a move. The talk is they will keep their current location AND add another local room. I heard that was also going to be in Salem.

If true, maybe they want that to be a tournament room?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PokerPlayer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #4449
Bugsyyy
centurion
 
Bugsyyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 157
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer80 View Post
From what I heard, itís not a move. The talk is they will keep their current location AND add another local room. I heard that was also going to be in Salem.

If true, maybe they want that to be a tournament room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can see that.
Bugsyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 AM   #4450
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,705
Re: New England General Discussion - Poker Room List in OP

Unless they are routinely filling every table every day, the very idea makes no sense to me, on any level--and even THEN, it's a stretch!

If the town is going to approve another room, wouldn't they be inclined to grant it to competitor? Granting a monopoly is not is anyone's interest, other than the monopoly's.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online