Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #101
pittpoker
newbie
 
pittpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frommagio

Having said all that, there is one serious point that you should understand as an adult citizen of the USA. The 1st Amendment of the Constitution does not apply here. This is a private forum, and everything we say is at the will of Mason. That's true; you could look it up.
+1
pittpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #102
2Twenty
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Did anyone play in Monday night's tournament at The Meadows? If so, do you agree that it seemed as though there it was one more floor disagreement away from a fistfight between Eric and Jameson (2 of the floors at Meadows)? I understand that it was their first evening tournament at the Meadows, but I felt there was a lot of unprofessionalism shown. If there are disagreements between staff, take them behind closed doors, don't air them out in front of the patrons. From the moment I got there, Eric was sniping about how not enough tables Jameson had opened on the software. Then, it was about the payouts (which I agree, were completely ridiculous. $40 tourney [with no posted breakdown of fee, either], 51 runners, and they were paying the top 10. 5th got $84, 10th got $48. Dumb, IMO. Still though, no reason to create tension in what should have been a fun atmosphere as the Meadows ventures into tournaments.

On a side note, there were 5 tournament tables running, and 4 cash games (not sure what was spread). After busting out, I stopped at the Rivers casino, as it's on my way home. Got there about 11PM, they had around 16 tables running, with 7 still going strong at 3:30AM, on a Tuesday morning.
2Twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #103
pokerforjoker
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 642
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

just called the meadows. seems like the tourneys are gonna be from anywhere between 65-120 bucks that they are running at night. girl on the phone was kinda rambling on though, i told her to email me the schedule, ill post it on here when i get it.
pokerforjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #104
WVUFtblFan
enthusiast
 
WVUFtblFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 98
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

I sent an email to the casino website asking why the tourney schedule isnt up on the website and they havent responded yet. Excited about the tournaments though, im going up a couple fridays from now, what time do the evening tournaments start?
WVUFtblFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #105
pokerforjoker
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 642
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

730 and 4 pm on friday for the tournaments, not completely sure on the buys in for each day. not gonna check em out just yet, so i didnt pay much attention.
pokerforjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #106
thirty___three
journeyman
 
thirty___three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 347
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Is it true that they have a 7 card stud tournament on Sundays? If so how much is it and how many runners showed up Sunday?
thirty___three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #107
Gydyon
journeyman
 
Gydyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 240
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

That has to be the worst tourney structure I've seen in 5 years.
Gydyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #108
WVUFtblFan
enthusiast
 
WVUFtblFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 98
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gydyon View Post
That has to be the worst tourney structure I've seen in 5 years.
Did you actually play or are we talking about someones post? I can tell you this, I have complained here and on the wheeling island page several times about the blind structure that this management staff puts together, wont type the whole thing out again, but you can look it up in the archives. If its the same it is terrible, all they care about is the tourney being over quickly (probably b/c the dealers ***** about how long it lasts and what they get paid, but thats the casino's problem not mine.) To travel that far to play, I want some play for my money, not a crappy 2 hr all-in fest. If it is the same, I am gonna complain to management next time Im there and you should too. One more example, why would Friday tourney start at 4? There would be way better turnout around 7 after people are off work, but theyre afraid they wont get their rake on cash games tables if there is a tournament going on. This management staff ran wheelings room into the ground and will do it to this one too unless they quit worrying about the rake and start worrying about poker and the players, if you run a solid room it will be filled and I guarantee they will get their money, probably more so than trying to swindle people with crappy fake tournaments.
WVUFtblFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #109
Gydyon
journeyman
 
Gydyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 240
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFtblFan View Post
Did you actually play or are we talking about someones post? I can tell you this, I have complained here and on the wheeling island page several times about the blind structure that this management staff puts together, wont type the whole thing out again, but you can look it up in the archives. If its the same it is terrible, all they care about is the tourney being over quickly (probably b/c the dealers ***** about how long it lasts and what they get paid, but thats the casino's problem not mine.) To travel that far to play, I want some play for my money, not a crappy 2 hr all-in fest. If it is the same, I am gonna complain to management next time Im there and you should too. One more example, why would Friday tourney start at 4? There would be way better turnout around 7 after people are off work, but theyre afraid they wont get their rake on cash games tables if there is a tournament going on. This management staff ran wheelings room into the ground and will do it to this one too unless they quit worrying about the rake and start worrying about poker and the players, if you run a solid room it will be filled and I guarantee they will get their money, probably more so than trying to swindle people with crappy fake tournaments.
I was referencing an earlier post which included the blind structure, did not see the need to re-quote it.

I played one tourney at Wheeling, and I never went back because of its crappy structure. I confess that theirs could be worse that the Meadows structure cited above, but as I recall Wheeling at least had 20 minute levels.

If that's the real structure at the Meadows, I won't be complaining about it because there's no point driving down there to play. I can play cash six miles from my house, and tournaments eventually, and I doubt Rivers could create a worse structure.
Gydyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #110
daveddd
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

The meadows tourney structure is up on their facebook page.

daveddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #111
pokerforjoker
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 642
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

do they have a schedule up??
pokerforjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #112
BClap
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Does anyone think these tourneys are even beatable after accounting for the fees and tips to the dealers? I know expert online turbo MTTSNG players have a pretty small ROI per tourney (<25%), since the fees are as much as 30% as opposed to 10% online can these even be beat? I know the players are awful and have no understanding of tournament stack sizes but does this really make up for the extra rake it's costing? I'm playing the 100+20 tonight (mostly because it's only a 20% fee) but it's probably barely +EV even though I'm confident I'd have one of the biggest edges on the field...
BClap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #113
WVUFtblFan
enthusiast
 
WVUFtblFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 98
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClap View Post
Does anyone think these tourneys are even beatable after accounting for the fees and tips to the dealers? I know expert online turbo MTTSNG players have a pretty small ROI per tourney (<25%), since the fees are as much as 30% as opposed to 10% online can these even be beat? I know the players are awful and have no understanding of tournament stack sizes but does this really make up for the extra rake it's costing? I'm playing the 100+20 tonight (mostly because it's only a 20% fee) but it's probably barely +EV even though I'm confident I'd have one of the biggest edges on the field...
If you are an experienced tourney player you will certainly have +EV against the weak field at this casino, but cashing will not be good enough, have to go deep and make some real money (top 5) at least once in 4 runs to be worth the travel and beat the vig and that will be tough with this dummy friendly crapshoot structure. Unless your an expert in ultraturbo tourneys, which to me is an oxymoron, (how do you become in expert in constantly going all-in?) Whatever edge you have in experience is more than trumped by the fact that you have about 15 to 20 hands to analyze an entire table of opponents before the allins start. Hard to find tells and betting patterns in two levels, especially if they fold a bunch and then play all-in.
WVUFtblFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #114
pokerforjoker
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 642
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClap View Post
Does anyone think these tourneys are even beatable after accounting for the fees and tips to the dealers? I know expert online turbo MTTSNG players have a pretty small ROI per tourney (<25%), since the fees are as much as 30% as opposed to 10% online can these even be beat? I know the players are awful and have no understanding of tournament stack sizes but does this really make up for the extra rake it's costing? I'm playing the 100+20 tonight (mostly because it's only a 20% fee) but it's probably barely +EV even though I'm confident I'd have one of the biggest edges on the field...
the players in these events are not even remotely close to the skill level of a player in a poker stars 100 dollar tourney. id gleefully pay the 20% fee to play in a mcuh weaker and smaller field.
pokerforjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #115
acesfull69
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Well the structure might be bad but u gotta play in em, the players are awefull, soooo bad. Just wait for a good hand and someone will bet for u!!!!!!!!! Players just give money away there even the cash games i find terrible palyers at every table
acesfull69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #116
acesfull69
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

just played in thier bounty tourny, was a lot of fun and well run tonight.
acesfull69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #117
River_Rat
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

I didn't get 1 bounty make it only to the 5th blind level but still had the best time in a tourney I've ever had. The staff (Dealers & Floor) where great, and the players are really a great group of people. The action is good, I donated but I am going to play in every tournament I can at the Meadows.

And the little disagreement on Monday between the floors was nothing at all should have been taken to the office yes but was it one more argument from fisticuffs not at all. all it was, was a disagreement on how the state approved tournament rules for the meadows. I talked with a PA gaming control board guy playing at Wheeling this week-end and he told me things are being approved differently for each casino and they will revisit the rulings and see what works best and make everything the same across the board. i guess it's happening this way out east also, lets hope it becomes uniformed soon like the dang card dealt face up rule.
River_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #118
jrda88
banned
 
jrda88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 640
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Is there a tournament tonight at 7:30?
jrda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #119
Jons64gm
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA PA
Posts: 15
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFtblFan View Post
Did you actually play or are we talking about someones post? I can tell you this, I have complained here and on the wheeling island page several times about the blind structure that this management staff puts together, wont type the whole thing out again, but you can look it up in the archives. If its the same it is terrible, all they care about is the tourney being over quickly (probably b/c the dealers ***** about how long it lasts and what they get paid, but thats the casino's problem not mine.) To travel that far to play, I want some play for my money, not a crappy 2 hr all-in fest. If it is the same, I am gonna complain to management next time Im there and you should too. One more example, why would Friday tourney start at 4? There would be way better turnout around 7 after people are off work, but theyre afraid they wont get their rake on cash games tables if there is a tournament going on. This management staff ran wheelings room into the ground and will do it to this one too unless they quit worrying about the rake and start worrying about poker and the players, if you run a solid room it will be filled and I guarantee they will get their money, probably more so than trying to swindle people with crappy fake tournaments.
You make a few invalid points in your post. First unless you actually played in the tourney (which I doubt you have) then it is difficult for you to judge whether the structure is good or not.

Second, the Meadows tourneys start with more chips (4000 to 6000) than Wheeling (2500), and although the blind levels are shortened by 2 minutes (essentially one hand), the extra chips make up for the difference.

I have played 6 of the tournaments this past week and have not seen the ALL-IN fest that you refer to. I have played at Harrahs, Venetian and Rio (Las Vegas), Taj and Bally's (Atlantic City), and see no significant difference in the structures for any experienced tournament player.

The average entrants in the Meadows tourneys this past week have been 50 (with 72 as the top), and all of the tourneys lasted 4 hours or more. If you are only lasting 2 hours, you really should work on your game and learning how to get deeper.

And most importantly, you do realize that the tourneys we are talking about are $40 and $65 tourneys, right? Are you really complaining that you are paying too high a rake or not getting a deep structure in a low limit tourney? Are you really traveling THAT FAR for a $40 tourney?
If that is the case, then resolve yourself to playing only the weekly $225.

It is amazing how people will badger the Casino for putting on a tourney designed for the beginning and intermediate player, and certain "pro's" will get upset that it is not to your liking.

The low limit tourneys are what they are, low limit. Complaining about it will most likely accomplish nothing.
After all, if you are a good solid player and well experienced in the game, these low limit tourneys should easily be your bankroll builder.

I, for one, am glad the Meadows is having tourneys as it invites more players into the games (cash and tourneys) and is a great way to pick up extra experience in reading and playing against amateurs as well as add a little to the bankroll.

Good Luck,
Jon
Jons64gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #120
Jons64gm
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA PA
Posts: 15
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Twenty View Post
Did anyone play in Monday night's tournament at The Meadows? If so, do you agree that it seemed as though there it was one more floor disagreement away from a fistfight between Eric and Jameson (2 of the floors at Meadows)? I understand that it was their first evening tournament at the Meadows, but I felt there was a lot of unprofessionalism shown. If there are disagreements between staff, take them behind closed doors, don't air them out in front of the patrons. From the moment I got there, Eric was sniping about how not enough tables Jameson had opened on the software. Then, it was about the payouts (which I agree, were completely ridiculous. $40 tourney [with no posted breakdown of fee, either], 51 runners, and they were paying the top 10. 5th got $84, 10th got $48. Dumb, IMO. Still though, no reason to create tension in what should have been a fun atmosphere as the Meadows ventures into tournaments.

On a side note, there were 5 tournament tables running, and 4 cash games (not sure what was spread). After busting out, I stopped at the Rivers casino, as it's on my way home. Got there about 11PM, they had around 16 tables running, with 7 still going strong at 3:30AM, on a Tuesday morning.
I played the tourney Monday;

The 'argument' you refer to was merely a misunderstanding between which tables were opened as the Floor had originally opened 4 tables, and then had to open an additional table to accommodate the late arrivals. (I know I was one of them).

The payout disagreement originated when a player insisted that the floor immediately change the structure to pay out only 5 players instead of 10, She claimed to have played "100 million tourneys" (LOL her words not mine) and that she never heard of paying 10 spots in a 52 player tourney.

Obviously, she has not played at many casinos. The Taj, Harrahs, Bally's as well as most Vegas and AC casinos use the same 'grouped method' payout structure with an occasional 10% (1 in ten) payout structure in the low limit buyin tourneys.
The group structure is designed as follows:
29 or less pays 3 spots
30 to 49 pays 5 spots
50 to 99 pays 10 spots
100 or more pays 20 spots

This group method is generally accepted by the Casinos as a fair structure for the players, in low limit buy in tourneys.

I have found the Staff at The Meadows to be extremely helpful and easy to deal with. I seriously doubt the floor was engaging in potential fisticuffs over how many tables were open or the payout. (LOL)
Jons64gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #121
WVUFtblFan
enthusiast
 
WVUFtblFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 98
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons64gm View Post
You make a few invalid points in your post. First unless you actually played in the tourney (which I doubt you have) then it is difficult for you to judge whether the structure is good or not.

Second, the Meadows tourneys start with more chips (4000 to 6000) than Wheeling (2500), and although the blind levels are shortened by 2 minutes (essentially one hand), the extra chips make up for the difference.

I have played 6 of the tournaments this past week and have not seen the ALL-IN fest that you refer to. I have played at Harrahs, Venetian and Rio (Las Vegas), Taj and Bally's (Atlantic City), and see no significant difference in the structures for any experienced tournament player.

The average entrants in the Meadows tourneys this past week have been 50 (with 72 as the top), and all of the tourneys lasted 4 hours or more. If you are only lasting 2 hours, you really should work on your game and learning how to get deeper.

And most importantly, you do realize that the tourneys we are talking about are $40 and $65 tourneys, right? Are you really complaining that you are paying too high a rake or not getting a deep structure in a low limit tourney? Are you really traveling THAT FAR for a $40 tourney?
If that is the case, then resolve yourself to playing only the weekly $225.

It is amazing how people will badger the Casino for putting on a tourney designed for the beginning and intermediate player, and certain "pro's" will get upset that it is not to your liking.

The low limit tourneys are what they are, low limit. Complaining about it will most likely accomplish nothing.
After all, if you are a good solid player and well experienced in the game, these low limit tourneys should easily be your bankroll builder.

I, for one, am glad the Meadows is having tourneys as it invites more players into the games (cash and tourneys) and is a great way to pick up extra experience in reading and playing against amateurs as well as add a little to the bankroll.

Good Luck,
Jon
If you actually read my post you will see that I said I havent played there yet, but played several at wheeling, 12, cashed in 4 with 2-2nds, no wins, but I was talking about how they have the same management staff and how badly I hated their structure, although that was the closest place for me to play. When they started wheeling tourneys they were $120, with a way slower structure and more players. I played two tourneys in the Darvin Moon Inv. which were around $150. I wouldnt travel to play a $45 tourney, might play if I was already there. But for over $100 I do expect some play. Moon tourneys started with 12,000 chips and you would still be up against it by the second break because level 7 is 500/1000 with either 150/200 ante. If you think that isnt biting into your stack at 20 min. blinds you havent played enough poker. Just as you begin to figure out your opponents, everyone still near the starting chip stack is paying 20% of their stack every time around the table. At that point postflop play doesnt mean anything, b/c if you decide to play, you better be ready to play for it all. I have played in Vegas, A/C as well and you cant tell me they have the same structure. Taj Mahal has much better structure even in $60 midnight tournament. Didnt play anything under $100 in Vegas so Im not sure but I know I played $150 Binions tourney that a tight player could get almost 4 hours of play and the tournament was still over in about 7/8 hrs. Oh yeah, and when did I ever say I was a pro? Although I doubt youll see many noobs posting on a site like this.
WVUFtblFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #122
acesfull69
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

did anyone play in the 7 card stud tourny they ran today?? and how was it
acesfull69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #123
frommagio
Pooh-Bah
 
frommagio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,300
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

The Cinderella phenomenon was in evidence again Saturday night at the Meadows: Once the clock strikes midnight, the room clears out, down to about 6 tables. Meanwhile, not very far away, the Rivers poker room had all 24 tables filled, with lists a mile long. And like every other weekend, they were jamming far into the wee hours of the morning. In fact, the Rivers at 3-4 AM on a weeknight is pretty darned impressive (based on two visits; unfortunately, there's the problem of a day job). The gulf has really widened between these two rooms

It makes no sense. There are a ton of players in this area, only two above-ground rooms, and it's still the opening month. Both of these rooms should be absolutely mobbed. So why is the Meadows limping along, while the Rivers is firing away on all cylinders?

The casino management has to be concerned. This is an under-performing poker room.
frommagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #124
poker222
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

I was at the Meadows last night and confirmed that they are having a 1k single table tourney this coming Sunday night, 7pm. I am playing for sure. This is a nice way to seperate from the other local poker rooms. I am not sure but I don't think Rivers or Wheeling has offered 1k single table tourneys in the past. They are only accepting 10 players, call 412-498-8687 to guarantee your seat.
poker222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #125
JABoyd
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Re: Meadows Poker Room - Washington PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFtblFan View Post
Did you actually play or are we talking about someones post? I can tell you this, I have complained here and on the wheeling island page several times about the blind structure that this management staff puts together, wont type the whole thing out again, but you can look it up in the archives. If its the same it is terrible, all they care about is the tourney being over quickly (probably b/c the dealers ***** about how long it lasts and what they get paid, but thats the casino's problem not mine.) To travel that far to play, I want some play for my money, not a crappy 2 hr all-in fest. If it is the same, I am gonna complain to management next time Im there and you should too. One more example, why would Friday tourney start at 4? There would be way better turnout around 7 after people are off work, but theyre afraid they wont get their rake on cash games tables if there is a tournament going on. This management staff ran wheelings room into the ground and will do it to this one too unless they quit worrying about the rake and start worrying about poker and the players, if you run a solid room it will be filled and I guarantee they will get their money, probably more so than trying to swindle people with crappy fake tournaments.
From what I understand, 6 tables are dedicated strictly to tournaments. So the need to get them over quickly shouldn't be an issue since they won't (and haven't been thus far) used for cash games. I think its more likely regarding the comment you made about the dealers.
JABoyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online