Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
TEKEE
Pooh-Bah
 
TEKEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere in the Woods
Posts: 3,665
Majestic Star Casino & Hotel (Gary, IN)

Question about the casino in Gary, are NL games time collected or do they rake the pots? I plan on making a trip to Chicago in the spring & want to play @ a casino that does not charge by the half hour, they do have several casinos in the area, which ones dont charge by the half hour, thanks in advance for replies.
TEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
ChicagoJoe
banned
 
ChicagoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Majestic Star, Ameristar & Horseshoe all have a max rake of $5.00 plus $1 for promotions on 1-2 and 2-5. Originally Majestic Star had a time charge every half an hour but switched to a rake after about a year. The best action is now at the Horseshoeís 34 table poker room.
ChicagoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
TEKEE
Pooh-Bah
 
TEKEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere in the Woods
Posts: 3,665
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Thanks for the response, now i have another question, what about an economical motel/hotel i can stay in for about 4 or 5 days, just need a place to shower & sleep, not going to spend alot of time in room, thanks in advance.
TEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
ChicagoJoe
banned
 
ChicagoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Iím just about done updating the Chicago Poker Room Guide. www.cardclubs.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=165 As you scroll down I have three motels listed close to the Horseshoe. Just click on the motel to get room rates.These motels are not that far from the other two. The Ramada gives discounts to Horseshoe customers. Majestic Star & Ameristar have special rates on rooms during the week for poker players. The only problem is it gets lonely playing in their poker rooms.
ChicagoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Cosines11
Pooh-Bah
 
Cosines11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: post count > BR
Posts: 4,439
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

^lol
Cosines11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
TEKEE
Pooh-Bah
 
TEKEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere in the Woods
Posts: 3,665
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Looks like they have a Motel 6 in Hammond, i'll probably go with that option, if i make the trip next Spring.
TEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Foldemed
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 34
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKEE View Post
Looks like they have a Motel 6 in Hammond, i'll probably go with that option, if i make the trip next Spring.
Majestic Star does have a poker room rate. The Hammond Horseshoe is about 4 or 5 miles away. I have driven back and forth between the two on many occasions. Majestic is not as popular as it once was due to the Horseshoe's larger nicer room. Majestic does have a bad beat jackpot. Also the dealers and floor people from the Horseshoe come to Majestic to play and don't seem to mind it. Of course, they aren't able to play anywhere else in the area. Resorts(ameristar) card room is hardly worth even trying.

Majestic pays $1 hour for food comps. I think they might be a little lenient with their comps. Not sure.
Foldemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
TEKEE
Pooh-Bah
 
TEKEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere in the Woods
Posts: 3,665
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

My real reason for heading to Majestic is to play in the Heartland Poker Tour event that is scheduled for April 2009, i hope i can satellite my way into the main event, probably check out the Horseshoe as well for a little cash game action.
TEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
Pscam10
centurion
 
Pscam10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 156
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

I'm heading out to Chicago in March for a conference - staying at the Hilton. What would be the best way to get to the Horseshoe from there? Cab? How much can I expect to pay if I wanted to use a taxi?

Thanks in advance for any responses...

-P
Pscam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
S2000Maniac
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 363
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

the buyins for the horseshoe listing are incorrect.

1/2 is 60-200.
2/5 is 200-500
S2000Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
threadkiller
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 178
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscam10 View Post
I'm heading out to Chicago in March for a conference - staying at the Hilton. What would be the best way to get to the Horseshoe from there? Cab? How much can I expect to pay if I wanted to use a taxi?

Thanks in advance for any responses...

-P
There's another thread on the Horseshoe on the first or second page, you might be better off asking there. I believe that there is a motor coach service from the Hyatt, which is about a $7 cab ride or a $2.25 bus ride from the Hilton. A taxi would be rather steep - about 16 miles at about 2.50/mile, plus a toll, plus time charges for any traffic, plus tip.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
ChicagoJoe
banned
 
ChicagoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000Maniac View Post
the buyins for the horseshoe listing are incorrect.

1/2 is 60-200.
2/5 is 200-500
Thanks I made the corrections.
ChicagoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
Sunglasses13
journeyman
 
Sunglasses13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 344
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldemed View Post
Majestic Star does have a poker room rate. The Hammond Horseshoe is about 4 or 5 miles away. I have driven back and forth between the two on many occasions. Majestic is not as popular as it once was due to the Horseshoe's larger nicer room. Majestic does have a bad beat jackpot. Also the dealers and floor people from the Horseshoe come to Majestic to play and don't seem to mind it. Of course, they aren't able to play anywhere else in the area. Resorts(ameristar) card room is hardly worth even trying.

Majestic pays $1 hour for food comps. I think they might be a little lenient with their comps. Not sure.
Majestic is a good change of pace for me too. I have been treated very well there.
Sunglasses13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
RoccoTerrier
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 216
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunglasses13 View Post
Majestic is a good change of pace for me too. I have been treated very well there.
Sunglasses and I have had this debate and I don't mean to harp on it, but someone asking about poker rooms in the Chicago area may want to hear all of the various opinions.

In my opinion, and others will certainly disagree, the Majestic is a pit and I have found the customer service to be terrible. I think most people will have a more pleasant, fun experience at the Horseshoe. Also, the structure and organization of the tournaments at the Horseshoe is better.

Good luck and have fun
RoccoTerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #15
TEKEE
Pooh-Bah
 
TEKEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere in the Woods
Posts: 3,665
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Rocco, what about the HPT events that the Majestic puts on, would you care to comment on those, they seem successful.
TEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
RoccoTerrier
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 216
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKEE View Post
Rocco, what about the HPT events that the Majestic puts on, would you care to comment on those, they seem successful.
Sorry, I meant to comment on the Heartland. I played in the Heartland last Spring and had a great time. I got a seat in the main event through one of the qualifiers and just missed the money in the main event when my AK got cracked by AQ.

The tournament was well-run by the Heartland staff. The tournament is not "put on" by the Majestic. The Heartland staff comes into the host casinos and runs the tournament. The tournament has a great structure. Long levels, lots of starting chips, slow escalation of the blinds. I will play in this again in the Spring.

My only complaint was that on day one of the main event, we played poker for something like 8 or 9 hours and there was no lunch or dinner break -- only short breaks after every few levels. The Majestic does have a sandwich bar next to the poker room, but it is even worse than anything they have at the Horseshoe. My point is that I was hungry. So, if you play the Heartland, bring some snacks in your pocket that you can eat during the short breaks.
RoccoTerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
TEKEE
Pooh-Bah
 
TEKEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere in the Woods
Posts: 3,665
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Thanks for your input Rocco, i hope i can make it for the one in the Spring, if i do, i hope i can find time to see some of Chicago while im there, i only plan on staying for one week.
TEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
Sunglasses13
journeyman
 
Sunglasses13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 344
Cool Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoTerrier View Post
The tournament was well-run by the Heartland staff. The tournament is not "put on" by the Majestic. The Heartland staff comes into the host casinos and runs the tournament. The tournament has a great structure. Long levels, lots of starting chips, slow escalation of the blinds. I will play in this again in the Spring.

My only complaint was that on day one of the main event, we played poker for something like 8 or 9 hours and there was no lunch or dinner break -- only short breaks after every few levels. The Majestic does have a sandwich bar next to the poker room, but it is even worse than anything they have at the Horseshoe. My point is that I was hungry. So, if you play the Heartland, bring some snacks in your pocket that you can eat during the short breaks.
Disagree again Roc - The food at the sandwich bar at Majestic is very good. I have gotten many sandwiches there. At the Shoe I had a hamburger at JBís that was so dry I couldnít swallow it. As far as good food vs. bad itís the buffets. The buffet at the Majestic is terrible compared to the buffet at the Shoe. The buffet at the Shoe is great.

If you donít want a sandwich at Majestic it is a good idea to bring snacks but you can take a quick elevator ride down to the first floor and grab a good HOT DOG! They do have the much debated HOT DOG at Majestic.

In fact, I am looking forward to being at Majestic on Friday and plan to have the Ham and Swiss on Marble Rye and a cup of soup. MmmmmmMmmmmGood!
Sunglasses13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
ChicagoJoe
banned
 
ChicagoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunglasses13 View Post
As far as good food vs. bad itís the buffets. The buffet at the Majestic is terrible compared to the buffet at the Shoe. The buffet at the Shoe is great.
I 100% agree
ChicagoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #20
coconuts
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 475
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

No casino in this area had better food options than Resorts. Great buffet, great sports bar, great steakhouse, very good 50's diner, vip room that regular poker player were entitled to eat in, great hot dogs on the third floor, and some very decent sandwhich choices right in the poker room.

If Resorts (now Ameristar, of course) still had a busy room with a wide variety of limits, I would deep-six the Horseshoe faster than I could finish this sentence.
coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #21
Sunglasses13
journeyman
 
Sunglasses13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 344
Cool Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconuts View Post
No casino in this area had better food options than Resorts. Great buffet, great sports bar, great steakhouse, very good 50's diner, vip room that regular poker player were entitled to eat in, great hot dogs on the third floor, and some very decent sandwhich choices right in the poker room.

If Resorts (now Ameristar, of course) still had a busy room with a wide variety of limits, I would deep-six the Horseshoe faster than I could finish this sentence.
This is true coco. Cept' the poker room always felt like I was playing in a cave. And if someone would have yelled "fire" in that room you would have been trampled. My last experiences there were bad too. There was a complete "I don't care" attitude with the floor and dealers at Resorts(Ameristar).

I like Majestic because at least there are some windows in the room. Also, I like the idea of some competition as far as poker rooms. Majestic personnel treat me well and I don't have a problem getting seated or having a table go short. 10-handed makes a difference to me.
Sunglasses13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
NateTrib
journeyman
 
NateTrib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: OMG..... NINTENDO 64!!!!!!
Posts: 362
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Does anyone know how many people on average the Star is getting for their tourneys now a days?
NateTrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #23
RoccoTerrier
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 216
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunglasses13 View Post
In fact, I am looking forward to being at Majestic on Friday and plan to have the Ham and Swiss on Marble Rye and a cup of soup. MmmmmmMmmmmGood!
The thought of eating in that place makes me retch but to each his own. Enjoy.
RoccoTerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #24
NateTrib
journeyman
 
NateTrib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: OMG..... NINTENDO 64!!!!!!
Posts: 362
Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTrib View Post
Does anyone know how many people on average the Star is getting for their tourneys now a days?
++
NateTrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #25
Sunglasses13
journeyman
 
Sunglasses13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 344
Cool Re: Majestic Star Casino, Gary IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTrib View Post
Does anyone know how many people on average the Star is getting for their tourneys now a days?
Why don't you just phone and ask them? - 219-977-7444
Sunglasses13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online