Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #2201
pcarfan
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 218
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarfan View Post
I see limit game mentioned online, do they ever play 3-6 or 4-8 on Friday/Saturday evenings...if so, is it hit or miss or pretty much guaranteed. Thanks

Whatís the rake for 1-2NL and limit games?
I called and the rake is $5+$2 (10% for both), so for a $20 pot, rake+JP is $4.

They claim 4-8 limit games run on Friday, Saturday....donít know how true that is. Easier to go, if I can convince my wife to join me.
pcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #2202
moondog
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Ohio
Posts: 449
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarfan View Post
I see limit game mentioned online, do they ever play 3-6 or 4-8 on Friday/Saturday evenings...if so, is it hit or miss or pretty much guaranteed. Thanks

What’s the rake for 1-2NL and limit games?
Limit is now 4/8 - used to be 3/6. They changed it a while back.

Keep an eye on Bravo, but weekend evenings typically get at least one table of 4/8 going.

I don't know the rake on the limit games, but might be the same as 1/2. I think 1/2 is max $5 plus $2 for promo fund. They run high hand promos most days. I think the rake used to be $6 plus $1. I like the change, as rec players seem to dig the daily high hand (and other) promos.
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #2203
shantideva
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 29
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Hollywood Columbus is, by far, the best casino in Ohio.
shantideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #2204
pcarfan
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 218
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes c. addle View Post
Limit is now 4/8 - used to be 3/6. They changed it a while back.

Keep an eye on Bravo, but weekend evenings typically get at least one table of 4/8 going.

I don't know the rake on the limit games, but might be the same as 1/2. I think 1/2 is max $5 plus $2 for promo fund. They run high hand promos most days. I think the rake used to be $6 plus $1. I like the change, as rec players seem to dig the daily high hand (and other) promos.
Thanks, I went...

There were multiple 4-8 limit games when the high hand bonus was running...the rake is $5+2 for limit as well.

First time to my local casino...it really is amazing. Free soft drinks, in fact they even have beverage stations everywhere. Immaculate rest rooms...I’m a Vegas afficiandao, and this venue is amazing. I don’t drink when I play poker, so this is better than Vegas for me.

Lots of slots for my wife too, many older games still alive here, which is nice but not the new games like in Vegas.

Competition is much weaker than Vegas...obviously no vacationers, but lots of long time confident players with obvious leaks, easy to outplay.

Last edited by pcarfan; 03-16-2019 at 09:50 AM.
pcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #2205
pcarfan
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 218
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantideva View Post
Hollywood Columbus is, by far, the best casino in Ohio.
For poker, there isnít much better in Vegas...but I will not be going here much but many times to Vegas, because Vegas is Vegas...poker only plays a small part.
pcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #2206
pcarfan
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 218
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Oh yeah...the cage is right inside the poker room....not as big as Vegas, but can’t complain.

Just a 5 star site for poker....
pcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #2207
Black Lotus
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 191
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Good job to the staff recently for helping to get the PLO games running in spite of the promotion drive. Please remember that not everyone who comes to the poker room is looking to grind a 1/2 table to hit a high hand, some players want to gamble.

DN, what are the rules for running a semi private or private game within the room? Is it even possible? Thanks.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:52 AM   #2208
IQofTwoPlusTwo
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 121
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarfan View Post
I see limit game mentioned online, do they ever play 3-6 or 4-8 on Friday/Saturday evenings...if so, is it hit or miss or pretty much guaranteed. Thanks

Whatís the rake for 1-2NL and limit games?
A table or two of 4/8 limit is consistently running on Friday/Saturday evenings.

Rake is $5+$2.

Quote:
Hollywood Columbus is, by far, the best casino in Ohio.
Such a low bar.
IQofTwoPlusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #2209
DNutini
Poker Room Rep
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 57
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
Good job to the staff recently for helping to get the PLO games running in spite of the promotion drive. Please remember that not everyone who comes to the poker room is looking to grind a 1/2 table to hit a high hand, some players want to gamble.

DN, what are the rules for running a semi private or private game within the room? Is it even possible? Thanks.
We aren't permitted by the OCCC to run a "private game" in the sense of opening it and closing it off to the rest of the public. We are, however, allowed to open games for a very specific group of players, but then must open that game type to the rest of the public. There is also nothing written that says that we have to sit someone from the list at your specific table. So I guess in short, there are ways to make it "semi private".

It's a little more challenging to keep it private when its a game that we only get a few tables like 2/2PLO. It's very easy to accomodate groups like bachelor parties that want to open their own 1/2NL game when we have a bunch of them running.

Hope that answers your question!
DNutini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:31 AM   #2210
shantideva
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 29
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Played yesterday. Won a bunch of money. Had a blast. So much nicer than Jack Cleveland. Hell, I’d rather play in a porta-potty than Jack.
shantideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:18 PM   #2211
CarlQ
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 48
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNutini View Post
We aren't permitted by the OCCC to run a "private game" in the sense of opening it and closing it off to the rest of the public. We are, however, allowed to open games for a very specific group of players, but then must open that game type to the rest of the public. There is also nothing written that says that we have to sit someone from the list at your specific table. So I guess in short, there are ways to make it "semi private".

It's a little more challenging to keep it private when its a game that we only get a few tables like 2/2PLO. It's very easy to accomodate groups like bachelor parties that want to open their own 1/2NL game when we have a bunch of them running.

Hope that answers your question!
I can't believe you put this in writing Dan! People will either abuse it or get you guys in trouble somehow.
CarlQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #2212
jtm1208
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 556
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlQ View Post
I can't believe you put this in writing Dan! People will either abuse it or get you guys in trouble somehow.
I can't believe you called him "Dan"

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
jtm1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #2213
DNutini
Poker Room Rep
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 57
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm1208 View Post
I can't believe you called him "Dan"

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
😂😂😂
DNutini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #2214
answer20
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
answer20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corner of Walk/Don't Walk
Posts: 6,845
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

This is very common in Michigan. There is a 'game of the day' that has a list of 'first in' Players. The table is usually 'held' for those Players to show up for a period of time (hour?) and then opened up to a normal list.

There are Players that try to backdoor the games by starting a list for that game very early in the day. Not sure any of them have really tested the waters at Gaming once they're told that 'the paper' list has priority over the electronic list.

Perfect example Saturday night. Large group of couples wants to open their own 1/2 table. They have enough to fill it. As soon as the first person in their group hit the top of the list they opened a new table just for the group. They had a blast for an hour and then went back to the pits. GL
answer20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #2215
BrickMMA
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 17
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

With the Heartland starting this week...think I'll be avoiding for the next couple of weekends. Doubt there will be much room for the regular cash games over there.
BrickMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #2216
answer20
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
answer20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corner of Walk/Don't Walk
Posts: 6,845
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

??? That would not be a wise decision IMO. Your room is 'receiving' a whole crop of new players who have no clue how you play. And most of them will be tilted from busting out of the tournaments. You may see games that are deeper than your room sees once a year as well.

I don't care your style, there is money to be made when a series (circus) is in town. GL
answer20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #2217
IQofTwoPlusTwo
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 121
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickMMA View Post
With the Heartland starting this week...think I'll be avoiding for the next couple of weekends. Doubt there will be much room for the regular cash games over there.
I heartily agree. All regs should stay away while the Heartland is running. Playing deep stacked cash games with a bunch of tourny donk players sucks. Don't come. Please stay home.
IQofTwoPlusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #2218
BrickMMA
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 17
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

OK, wise-asses, lol. My concern wasn't about the quality of games, but the quantity available. They are bringing in guest dealers just to handle the volume of tourney tables alone. We've seen the high promo days bring out the fish too, but that also turns into 2-3 hour wait times. I just don't think they are going to have much if any resources dedicated to cash game availability, especially early in the tourney.
BrickMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #2219
JoReCB
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago (South Loop)
Posts: 82
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickMMA View Post
OK, wise-asses, lol. My concern wasn't about the quality of games, but the quantity available. They are bringing in guest dealers just to handle the volume of tourney tables alone. We've seen the high promo days bring out the fish too, but that also turns into 2-3 hour wait times. I just don't think they are going to have much if any resources dedicated to cash game availability, especially early in the tourney.
Cash games will be deep and plentiful.
JoReCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #2220
yurk
old hand
 
yurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,763
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Fingers crossed. Donít play much live these days but want to stop by and play the bounty tourney and some cash.
yurk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #2221
branch0095
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 813
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Just a head's up to those that play in this room, they are changing their cash game structure starting June 4th. I believe their goal is to get a wider array of games running. Here's what I remember off the top of my head.

1/2- $60 min $200 max (used to be $100 min, $400 max)
2/5 - $200 min $600 max (used to be $1k max)

They've also done away with the $4-8 limit and replaced it with $3-6 limit AND a $5-$10 limit. The fee is going up for the time rake games too. It's now going to be $8/30min where it used to be $6/30 min (I believe). Also, by the wording in their posting it seems like they're going to allow RIT in all the no limit games. I'm not totally sure about that one though.

Like I said, I understand what they're trying to achieve here, but I think this is terrible. One of the only good things this room had going for it IMO is the deeper buy-in structure, and now it's gone. I know they're hoping that all the $1-$2 players who bought in full or near full will now play $2-$5, but obviously this comes with a lot of consequences that will upset many players. It seems like they're trying to split up the $1-$2 player pool, and they're also going to upset some of the regular $2-$5 players who now are forced to buy-in shorter in the $2-$5 game as well.

On top of that, during the slower times when there won't be $2-$5 games running, players' only options are often going to be a $200 cap $1-$2 game, which is the nut f'n low. The one thing that set this room apart from the other casinos in Ohio was the deeper buy-in structure, and that now appears to be gone for the time being. I play in this room 4-5 days per week, but I get the feeling I'll be finding a new room to play in very soon. This room continues to head in the wrong direction IMO.
branch0095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #2222
answer20
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
answer20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corner of Walk/Don't Walk
Posts: 6,845
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Great post filled with both facts and personal opinion. I think you've hit a lot of nails on the head! This is more like the Motor City model and I wonder if there's been a change in management, or at least new blood, recently?

From what I see on Bravo I don't think that Columbus has the player pool for this structure during the day and typically the sheep and cattle separate themselves at night and especially on weekends.

5/10 Limit ... really? Without an abundance of requests/pressure from the player pool this should struggle.

Your point about the lower 1/2 buy-in will frustrate the deeper Players. They will go into Bingo mode when they sit down, which will frustrate anyone who has built up their stack 'the right way'. Do they really think there are enough new Players that will fill the void if and when the 2/5 games establish themselves? It will be interesting to watch from afar.

With the overwhelming success of the HPT stop they now choose to change the formula? .. GL
answer20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #2223
Lord_Crispen
adept
 
Lord_Crispen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: unknown
Posts: 1,023
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Ew. $200 cap on 1/2 is awful imo. $300 feels astronomically better although I'm sure some regs will argue that it's bad, I mean, if they have to change it at all.
Lord_Crispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #2224
branch0095
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 813
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Well it looks like they've already changed their minds in less than 24hrs. They've now decided for a $300 cap on 1/2 and $800 cap on 2/5, instead of the $200 and $600 respectively that they were advertising. They're also now advertising June 5th for the date to implement these changes. I guess if they decide to change their minds again I'll let you know.
branch0095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:28 PM   #2225
Lord_Crispen
adept
 
Lord_Crispen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: unknown
Posts: 1,023
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

I like that they listen to feedback and I know sometimes their hands are tied, so it's nice when they realize they went too far in a direction and can bring it back a little.
Lord_Crispen is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online