Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #76
Draidin
veteran
 
Draidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Insurmountable Lead
Posts: 2,429
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by branch0095 View Post
Any guess as to how often people are being called from the wait list? Im guessing it's gonna be backed up until 3 or 4am?.?
At 9:00 I put my name on the list for 1/2 NL and gave them my cell number so they could text me when a table was ready. I gave up waiting at 10:30 and came home.

Its now a few minutes to midnight and have not gotten a text from the podium.
Draidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #77
Draidin
veteran
 
Draidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Insurmountable Lead
Posts: 2,429
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Not all tables were 1/2 NL however. There were 3/6 limit , a few tables of PLO and 2/5 NL
Draidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #78
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draidin View Post
At 9:00 I put my name on the list for 1/2 NL and gave them my cell number so they could text me when a table was ready. I gave up waiting at 10:30 and came home.

Its now a few minutes to midnight and have not gotten a text from the podium.
The texting doesn't work all of the time. You should've checked the desk. They would have probably just sat you.
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #79
short1001
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 508
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

I've been there 3 nights since it opened. Every night I'm on the waitlist and have been told that I will receive a text when a table opens. I've never once gotten the text and I have just gone in and sat myself with no problem. The room has a problem seating players and its a little disorganized. There's lots of tables playing 7 and 8 handed with lines of players waiting to be sat.
Three times now I have bought chips and gone and sat at an empty table and get dealt in right away
short1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #80
ph2133868789
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LV
Posts: 1,705
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klloyd View Post
So the dealer calls the floor
- floor instructs her to wash the 4 cards that were on flop face down..... And yes we all said wtf.....
- she picks 3 of the four cards... And of course, no K.
- SB blows his second gasket seal and takes his $10 bet back
- floor demands he put the $10 back in pot since there was significant action (BB folding) after his bet.
- SB's head actually explodes-leaves money in pot, tosses cards into muck
- seat 5 raises, seat 6 calls, everyone else folds
- seat 5 and 6 agree no matter who wins the pot to give SB $10 back
- SB almost gets kicked out of casino but manager agrees to give him $12 out of the tray as compensation

..... Oh ya, not that it matters but the turn was another 2 and SB held K2
Whoever made that ruling should be snap-fired.

and +1 to everything tom1975 said

how much was the raise? sb has a ton of "steam equity"

Last edited by ph2133868789; 10-13-2012 at 03:32 AM.
ph2133868789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #81
Draidin
veteran
 
Draidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Insurmountable Lead
Posts: 2,429
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by short1001 View Post
I've been there 3 nights since it opened. Every night I'm on the waitlist and have been told that I will receive a text when a table opens. I've never once gotten the text and I have just gone in and sat myself with no problem. The room has a problem seating players and its a little disorganized. There's lots of tables playing 7 and 8 handed with lines of players waiting to be sat.
Three times now I have bought chips and gone and sat at an empty table and get dealt in right away
So people are just cutting in ahead of those on the waiting list?
Draidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #82
ph2133868789
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LV
Posts: 1,705
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by short1001 View Post
Three times now I have bought chips and gone and sat at an empty table and get dealt in right away
Must be playing ultimate hold'em.
ph2133868789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #83
short1001
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 508
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draidin View Post
So people are just cutting in ahead of those on the waiting list?
There's no way to tell if players are really cutting in line in front of other players. For example, last night and I went and stood in line to register. It Took about 20 minutes. The board said there was 72 on the waitlist for 1/2. There were about 15-20 players kind've standing around the poker room entrance getting sat in no particular order. As I looked across the room I saw multiple empty seats at various tables. I went to talk to a friend of mine who was playing 1/2 at a table in the back right. There were 2 empty seats at his table and they said it had been that way for at least 15 minutes. So I just sat in, got welcomed by the dealer and was dealt in right away.

I'm not sure weather or not I was cutting in line, but I do know that right now the room is very busy and somewhat disorganized. Players and coming and going and being sat not by their name on the WL but by whoever is closest to the room entrance and gets the attention of the floor. So I feel that you kind've have to "put yourself out there" or else other players will get sat ahead of you.
short1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #84
Tom1975
arbitrary and capricious
 
Tom1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: two can play at this game
Posts: 17,723
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

This always happens in situations like this where there are far more players wanting to play than tables. The lists get really deep and therefore get stale. Let's say there are a bunch of 1/2 tables and a total of 10 seats are open. They call the first 10 names on the list. The problem is that those people have probably been on the list a couple hours and most have probably given up and left. So of the ten people that get called, only 2 or 3 show up. So you call the next group of people and only 2 or 3 of them show up. By now 20 minutes have gone by and you still have 4 or 5 open seats, plus some more have probably opened up by now.

There's really no good to solution to this problem that I've seen. I mean if the list is only 20 or 30 deep you can go through it periodically and see who's still there but once it gets 80 or 100 deep this is pretty much impossible.
Tom1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #85
Tom1975
arbitrary and capricious
 
Tom1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: two can play at this game
Posts: 17,723
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by short1001 View Post
There's no way to tell if players are really cutting in line in front of other players. For example, last night and I went and stood in line to register. It Took about 20 minutes. The board said there was 72 on the waitlist for 1/2. There were about 15-20 players kind've standing around the poker room entrance getting sat in no particular order. As I looked across the room I saw multiple empty seats at various tables. I went to talk to a friend of mine who was playing 1/2 at a table in the back right. There were 2 empty seats at his table and they said it had been that way for at least 15 minutes. So I just sat in, got welcomed by the dealer and was dealt in right away.

I'm not sure weather or not I was cutting in line, but I do know that right now the room is very busy and somewhat disorganized. Players and coming and going and being sat not by their name on the WL but by whoever is closest to the room entrance and gets the attention of the floor. So I feel that you kind've have to "put yourself out there" or else other players will get sat ahead of you.
I think what you did is fine. It's one thing if there's only a couple seats open and there's an orderly list of people who are known to still be there and wanting to play. On the other hand, If there are a bunch of open seats which been open for a long time and it's obvious that most of the people on the list are no longer there, I think it's ok to just grab a seat.
Tom1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #86
Riverman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Riverman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 73,137
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Can someone quickly summarize what games regularly go?

Also, it seems the rake is too damn high. $6 per hand is bad, they're going to rake their game dead.
Riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #87
Tom1975
arbitrary and capricious
 
Tom1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: two can play at this game
Posts: 17,723
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Can someone quickly summarize what games regularly go?

Also, it seems the rake is too damn high. $6 per hand is bad, they're going to rake their game dead.
1/2 and 2/5 NL, 3/6 limit are the regular games so far. They've also gotten 1/2, 2/5, and 2/10 PLO off but not every day. As for bigger NL, they had a 5/25 game the first couple days. Last night they had one 2/10 NL.
Tom1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #88
ph2133868789
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LV
Posts: 1,705
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

I've seen rooms with pagers. It works well in theory as anyone who returns their pager is removed from the list. In reality, I'm not sure if they end up getting left all over the place or if it is even practical to have 72 of them (although the real number is surely less). They required a players card and said they'd hold you responsible etc etc, but idk how effective that is.
ph2133868789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #89
rd8686
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Can someone quickly summarize what games regularly go?

Also, it seems the rake is too damn high. $6 per hand is bad, they're going to rake their game dead.
I totally agree. $6 is outrageous in my opinion. That's not even counting the BBJ & tipping. Many say that even with the high rake, you can still make a living if you are good and the table is mainly fish. With the high rake, however, one would have to perhaps conclude that EVERYONE (except the dealer) sitting at the table is a fish. The rake may be too much to overcome for anyone. Sooner or later even the "pros" will get worn down. I agree with you Riverman...they will eventually rake their game dead. There may be a sea of fish for a year or two, but eventually the casino will cause a severe drought and the sea will run dry. I have seen a player or two short-change the pot a few times and getting away with it, but even that is not nearly enough to overcome the rake. My guess is that a year from now will be very different than it is today. The poker room will then realize what their greed has caused. Luckily for them, Columbus fits quite accurately into the "sucker born every minute" quote, actually it is probably every 15 seconds, but it won't last forever. Dead fish can't swim.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #90
moondog
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Ohio
Posts: 460
What's the ratio of good: medium: bad players in the 2/5 NL game? ....generally speaking...
moondog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #91
arptlaw
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 54
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

The texting worked fine tonight ...
(Seat is available) Please check with the Podium in the Poker Room as your seat is now available

About 24 on the list for 1/2NL, wait was about 15 minutes.
arptlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #92
Tom1975
arbitrary and capricious
 
Tom1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: two can play at this game
Posts: 17,723
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofShovels View Post
Is it really 2/10??? Or 2/5/10?
It's really 2/10. One $2 small blind, one $10 big blind.
Tom1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #93
soxfan1962
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chestnut hill ma
Posts: 163
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Well said rd8686 give it a few weeks this rooms numbers will def die down...I'd say 75 percent of the room have no clue what the rake even is....$8 a hand will evaporate the player pool...just look around the room with 30 tables times 8 every 2 minutes that's 240 out of the room every 2 minutes....of course not every hand is $8 but u kind of get the point where does the cheese come from?!
soxfan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #94
Tom1975
arbitrary and capricious
 
Tom1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: two can play at this game
Posts: 17,723
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofShovels View Post
Also today nothing above 2/5 at 5 pm on a Saturday. Basically this room not really worth coming too unless it's your closest casino.
Yeah, I gotta admit I'm a little disappointed. It's their first Saturday since opening and out of 29 tables they only have 3 2/5's and 1 1/2 PLO. Right now Cleveland has 4 2/5 NL, 1 1/2 PLO, and 1 2/5 PLO.
Tom1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #95
Tom1975
arbitrary and capricious
 
Tom1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: two can play at this game
Posts: 17,723
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1975 View Post
Yeah, I gotta admit I'm a little disappointed. It's their first Saturday since opening and out of 29 tables they only have 3 2/5's and 1 1/2 PLO. Right now Cleveland has 4 2/5 NL, 1 1/2 PLO, and 1 2/5 PLO.
Well it looks like they used the 30th and last table to open a 2/10 NL game so I stand corrected. I still would have like to seen a 2/5 or 2/10 PLO.
Tom1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #96
Draidin
veteran
 
Draidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Insurmountable Lead
Posts: 2,429
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

A couple of people at my 1/2 NL table this afternoon commented that they thought it was really not that busy for the opening weekend.
Draidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #97
arptlaw
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 54
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Saw my first max stack match buy in. Got up $300, then older gentleman sat down and bought in for $600. A few minutes later a huge stack moved to the table (+$2k). We had two other stacks that were +$400. I tightened up, because the sub $150 stacks just were not playing. I chipped up another $100 with a premium hand, 5 callers, 1 caller to my half pot C bet, then he folded on turn.

I had to take off after 4 hrs of play, I'm a 1/2NL player waiting to build my BR before I move to 2/5NL. I did not play at Nick's Shark Tank or Gemini. This did not feel like a 1/2NL table at the end. It felt like a bunch of regulars (is that possible in a new casino) were swarming to our table. Of course, I might just be stating the obvious (at least it was to me).
arptlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #98
Draidin
veteran
 
Draidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Insurmountable Lead
Posts: 2,429
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arptlaw View Post

I had to take off after 4 hrs of play, I'm a 1/2NL player waiting to build my BR before I move to 2/5NL. I did not play at Nick's Shark Tank or Gemini. This did not feel like a 1/2NL table at the end. It felt like a bunch of regulars (is that possible in a new casino) were swarming to our table. Of course, I might just be stating the obvious (at least it was to me).
Yes very possible. Friday night I witnessed many players from the various card rooms around town. To me, those are regs.
Draidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #99
karamazonk
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,581
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

Kudos to the dealers as a collective for vastly improving over the course of the week
karamazonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #100
TunaUnibomber
enthusiast
 
TunaUnibomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 98
Re: Hollywood Casino (Columbus, Ohio)

We had a 4/8 Limit Omaha H/L game going for like 9 hours today. The rake is pretty brutal, especially when the dealers would sometimes drop $1 for the BBJ....We ended up calling the floor on that one, lol
TunaUnibomber is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online