Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #51
ginpalace
enthusiast
 
ginpalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brew Town
Posts: 53
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

I see they are hiring dealers. Does the rake create an atmosphere where the turnover is unusually high? Who would want to deal when all they hear are players complain. I'm interested in visiting, and giving a trip report.
ginpalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #52
icehaze
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Theyve been hiring for months now but not many applicants. I know some who applied and auditioned got passed over.

The woman who was running the room is no longer employed there as of this past weekend. Doesnt mean anything will change but hopes are high amongst us dealers.
icehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #53
icehaze
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpalace View Post
I see they are hiring dealers. Does the rake create an atmosphere where the turnover is unusually high? Who would want to deal when all they hear are players complain. I'm interested in visiting, and giving a trip report.
Most of our dealers came from hollywood aurora(where the rake is the same) or from blackjack where they have no basis for comparison. To most its just a job that pays better than the table games or other casinos.
Most of them only know this room, they arent concerned with the rake, they dont realize how some of our rules hurt the game.(in my opinion)

As for me i got a wife, two kids and one more on the way. I need the medical and the full time hours. Every other casino hires part time, including the horseshoe.
Complaints from players will happen everywhere you deal, no way around it. I dont hear much of it, but i also try to let the game play as much as i possibly can.

Are you plannin on a trip during the day or night? I work grave shift so i hope to see you ginpalace.
icehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #54
ginpalace
enthusiast
 
ginpalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brew Town
Posts: 53
It will probably be during the afternoon into the evening mid week. Sounds like you have your head on straight for your position, and wish you the best. Dealers aren't the enemy IMHO, and am glad you have a good attitude. Makes for a better environment to play poker.
ginpalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #55
goldhouserocketcar
newbie
 
goldhouserocketcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: a pair, a top pair
Posts: 45
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

quick trip report:
Just played there for the first time. I live about 30 minutes away (northeast) I'm purely a recreational 1/2 player, the dealers and the floor people were all very nice. I called ahead and when i got there, was seated within 5 minutes (this was at 6pm on a Saturday night) The action was good. A lot of people play shortstacked. I'm sure that annoys regs but I dig it because I get annoyed when my overpair gets check raised by someone with top pair and 150 bb's. Anyone have an opinion on this vs Rockford Charitable Games and Pottowattomi? Hammond and Aurora are far away and there's squat to do in the area outside of the casino.
I defintely noticed when I raised pre and won the pot on the flop, I was hauling in much less than my initial rise lol.

so sum up, I could see regs not digging the profitability of the place, but fellow recreational players will dig it.
goldhouserocketcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #56
young dude
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LSD Chi
Posts: 394
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhouserocketcar View Post
quick trip report:
Just played there for the first time. I live about 30 minutes away (northeast) I'm purely a recreational 1/2 player, the dealers and the floor people were all very nice. I called ahead and when i got there, was seated within 5 minutes (this was at 6pm on a Saturday night) The action was good. A lot of people play shortstacked. I'm sure that annoys regs but I dig it because I get annoyed when my overpair gets check raised by someone with top pair and 150 bb's. Anyone have an opinion on this vs Rockford Charitable Games and Pottowattomi? Hammond and Aurora are far away and there's squat to do in the area outside of the casino.
I defintely noticed when I raised pre and won the pot on the flop, I was hauling in much less than my initial rise lol.

so sum up, I could see regs not digging the profitability of the place, but fellow recreational players will dig it.

I've played there over 20 times and I'd agree. Rake is a beeotch, and action is generally juicier than the Shoe on weekends. I've only played there and at the Shoe.
young dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #57
goldhouserocketcar
newbie
 
goldhouserocketcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: a pair, a top pair
Posts: 45
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Anyone know how often their freeroll tourney goes? Apparently it's everyone gets paid, and first is 5k. Not bad.
goldhouserocketcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #58
icehaze
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhouserocketcar View Post
Anyone know how often their freeroll tourney goes? Apparently it's everyone gets paid, and first is 5k. Not bad.
The tourney runs every other sunday at 10 a.m. You have to qualify thru the High Hand promotion. Sunday thru Thursday points are rewarded for full houses or better.
Small Full House (2s full thru 9s full) = 3 points
Big Full House (10s full thru Aces full) = 5 points
Small Quads (2s thru 9s) = 7 points
Big Quads (10s thru Aces) = 10 points
Striaght Flush = 12 points
Royal Flush = 15 points and 100 dollars

The points leader from each day, open 830a.m. to close 6 a.m., gets a seat into the tourney. If there is a tie then both get the seat.

Its set up to be a 10 man sng, but almost everyone so far has been 11 handed due to a tie in the two weeks before hand.
Everyone gets paid, first has been between 5k and 5500 each tourney.
7-10 pay the same (or 7 -11) which is usually 550 -600 dollars. Pay then jumps each spot starting at 6th on up.
icehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #59
icehaze
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

This promotion runs until May 27. On that day we're having a tournament of champions type tourney for each player who won one of these freerolls. First for that is expected to be around 50k.
Pay outs will most likely be the same at the freerolls, just add a zero.
icehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #60
goldhouserocketcar
newbie
 
goldhouserocketcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: a pair, a top pair
Posts: 45
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehaze View Post
This promotion runs until May 27. On that day we're having a tournament of champions type tourney for each player who won one of these freerolls. First for that is expected to be around 50k.
Pay outs will most likely be the same at the freerolls, just add a zero.
Thanks for your help.
Just a suggestion if you have any pull there, lift the no talking rule if the pot is heads up. That's pretty standard, plus its fun and strategic.
gh
goldhouserocketcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #61
icehaze
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Goldhouse i agree 100 percent about the no talking in a heads up pot. We very recently got a new poker room manager. He and I have talked about numerous things that need to be changed, but only time will tell if it happens.

He just took over about a week or two ago.
icehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #62
rexcharger
grinder
 
rexcharger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: under the gun
Posts: 556
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpalace View Post
I see they are hiring dealers. Does the rake create an atmosphere where the turnover is unusually high? Who would want to deal when all they hear are players complain. I'm interested in visiting, and giving a trip report.
i will stop in Elgin (on my way to Horseshoe, from Madison) if traffic in the city is bad.

Play a couple hours, till 9p or so, then finish my trip.

Regs here are oblivious to the bad rake, etc.

also typically oblivious to poker in general.
rexcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #63
GutPunch
veteran
 
GutPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,972
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehaze View Post
The tourney runs every other sunday at 10 a.m. You have to qualify thru the High Hand promotion. Sunday thru Thursday points are rewarded for full houses or better.
Small Full House (2s full thru 9s full) = 3 points
Big Full House (10s full thru Aces full) = 5 points
Small Quads (2s thru 9s) = 7 points
Big Quads (10s thru Aces) = 10 points
Striaght Flush = 12 points
Royal Flush = 15 points and 100 dollars

The points leader from each day, open 830a.m. to close 6 a.m., gets a seat into the tourney. If there is a tie then both get the seat.

Its set up to be a 10 man sng, but almost everyone so far has been 11 handed due to a tie in the two weeks before hand.
Everyone gets paid, first has been between 5k and 5500 each tourney.
7-10 pay the same (or 7 -11) which is usually 550 -600 dollars. Pay then jumps each spot starting at 6th on up.
How many points does it generally take to qualify? Also, if this goes off every other week, isn't that around 14 people who qualify?
GutPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #64
player1
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 488
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutPunch View Post
How many points does it generally take to qualify? Also, if this goes off every other week, isn't that around 14 people who qualify?
You can qualify SUN - THU. On FRI and SAT, the rake is the usual $8.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #65
icehaze
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

You can only qualify sun thru thurs. Ive seen 34 points win and ive seen as high as 78.
45 to 50 is about avg.

Player1 the rake is 8on Fri and Sat, but they still take the promotional dollar.
So in reality its $9, since you cant qualify on these days.
This was set up by the lady who was running the room. Shes gone now but i doubt they will change it with 2 months to go in the promotion, since theyve been taking the extra dollar for the past three months.
icehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #66
mariof1975
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 51
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

That tourney is a joke......if you play through the promotion days you will find yourself with idiots galore but then again it is profitable.
This place is fish city I would say the 1-2 is tougher than 2-5

I have a few questions... what happened to albert?
and are they going to add more tables and allow headphones ffs?
mariof1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #67
rizeagainst
banned
 
rizeagainst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: what century is this?
Posts: 8,179
the rake just has to change for me. elgin is 30 mins from my house and a shuttle to shoe is about 40 mins from me. i will wait the extra time on the shuttle to avoid paying an extra $4 in rake per hand and id guess anyone who plays regularly or cares at all about their profitability would make the same decision
rizeagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #68
icehaze
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

I havent heard anything about more tables recently. There were some rumors about a month or so back of expanding to 12 tables, but i havent heard anything about it since.

Headphones is not up to GVC. No electronics at the table is state thing.

The dealer you asked about was let go.
icehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #69
flopinthenutz
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 123
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

No electronics at the table is state thing.

Not really. Headphones are allowed in Peoria. Its probably an issue with an overly zealous dockside gaming agent misinterpreting the rules. Same issue in Joliet.
This needs to be changed.
flopinthenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #70
Morph3us
adept
 
Morph3us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 799
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopinthenutz View Post
No electronics at the table is state thing.

Not really. Headphones are allowed in Peoria. Its probably an issue with an overly zealous dockside gaming agent misinterpreting the rules. Same issue in Joliet.
This needs to be changed.
Illinois still has a lot of catching up to do as far as poker goes. They're slow learners I guess.
Morph3us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #71
arkyten
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 364
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

I prefer the Charitable Games "Circuit" but when I do play @GV I always win. #theleastinterestingmanintheworld.

Confusium say: Gwind at those wakes for wots of hours and bwite the dust.
arkyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #72
Abe
Old School!
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 2+2 poster since 1998
Posts: 829
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

I FINALLY got to play the Elgin poker room.
(such small things make me happy)
Now my "collection" of Illinois poker rooms is complete again.

Not a whole lot to recommend the Elgin room to a downstate tourist. Not worth a trip and probably not even worth a stop. A few tables of 1-2 NL and a few tables of 2-5 NL ---- and THATS ALL they play. Probably thats all they know how to play.

Typical rude suburbanites in the boat basement in the same room as the slots. And of course there is the $8 rake.

Can't I say ANYTHING positive? OK, the games was not very tough. A couple chip spewers and some old tight passive predictable regs. And --- there was an Excellent dealer named Lily. Great pitch technique, zero mistakes and she really moved the game along.

SO --- heres my complete and updated rating of Illinois casino poker rooms:
Elgin -- terrible
Joliet -- both terrible
Aurora -- not as bad as the others, but still bad
Peoria -- terrible
Rock Island -- new and pretty. otherwise terrible
Metropolis -- terrible

DesPlaines -- no poker
Alton -- no poker
East St Louis -- no poker

Poker in Missouri, Iowa, Wisc, and Indiana -- much better
Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #73
magoo
adept
 
magoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,195
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Thanks for post. Have not done much traveling lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
I FINALLY got to play the Elgin poker room.
(such small things make me happy)
Now my "collection" of Illinois poker rooms is complete again.

Not a whole lot to recommend the Elgin room to a downstate tourist. Not worth a trip and probably not even worth a stop. A few tables of 1-2 NL and a few tables of 2-5 NL ---- and THATS ALL they play. Probably thats all they know how to play.

Typical rude suburbanites in the boat basement in the same room as the slots. And of course there is the $8 rake.

Can't I say ANYTHING positive? OK, the games was not very tough. A couple chip spewers and some old tight passive predictable regs. And --- there was an Excellent dealer named Lily. Great pitch technique, zero mistakes and she really moved the game along.

SO --- heres my complete and updated rating of Illinois casino poker rooms:
Elgin -- terrible
Joliet -- both terrible
Aurora -- not as bad as the others, but still bad
Peoria -- terrible
Rock Island -- new and pretty. otherwise terrible
Metropolis -- terrible

DesPlaines -- no poker
Alton -- no poker
East St Louis -- no poker

Poker in Missouri, Iowa, Wisc, and Indiana -- much better
magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #74
papajoey21
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

[QUOTE=Abe;32707936]I FINALLY got to play the Elgin poker room.
(such small things make me happy)
Now my "collection" of Illinois poker rooms is complete again.

Not a whole lot to recommend the Elgin room to a downstate tourist. Not worth a trip and probably not even worth a stop. A few tables of 1-2 NL and a few tables of 2-5 NL ---- and THATS ALL they play. Probably thats all they know how to play.

Typical rude suburbanites in the boat basement in the same room as the slots. And of course there is the $8 rake.

Can't I say ANYTHING positive? OK, the games was not very tough. A couple chip spewers and some old tight passive predictable regs. And --- there was an Excellent dealer named Lily. Great pitch technique, zero mistakes and she really moved the game along.

SO --- heres my complete and updated rating of Illinois casino poker rooms:
Elgin -- terrible
Joliet -- both terrible
Aurora -- not as bad as the others, but still bad
Peoria -- terrible
Rock Island -- new and pretty. otherwise terrible
Metropolis -- terrible

DesPlaines -- no poker
Alton -- no poker
East St Louis -- no poker

Poker in Missouri, Iowa, Wisc, and Indiana -- much better[/QUOTe

Sounds like Abe doesnt like much
papajoey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #75
arkyten
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 364
Re: Grand Victoria Elgin,IL

Nope, Abe's got it right except for one thing. NL hold-em is all they play, but most of them sure don't know how to play. Of course they'll suck out on a big pot playing J-4 "sooted" after calling a $10-15 preflop raise.
arkyten is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online