Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
aznxray
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 536
Edmonton

Anybody here from Edmonton?
aznxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
YoungLiveNit
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 103
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Yup.

What would you like to know, sir?
YoungLiveNit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
FallsviewPokerPro
banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,478
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Where is the action at in Edmonton these days? Mostly out on River Cree?
FallsviewPokerPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
collincapone
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 806
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Yellowhead for the most part always tons of tables going. River Cree is good on the weekends.
collincapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
27AllIn
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
27AllIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Every night to me is Halloween
Posts: 6,498
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

hard to find anything above 1/2 nlh or 3/6 limit. if you like plo check out argyle for 5/5.

@fallsviewpokerpro did you play in any cash games at fallsview during their poker classic series a short while ago? It was so hard to get a seat once i got on one for 10/25 nl i never got up for 14 hours.
27AllIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
dirtlad
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Box gym
Posts: 457
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

I find that the River Cree attracts a slightly drunker clientel after about 10pm. But that is just one opinion.
dirtlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
GrinningBuddha
old hand
 
GrinningBuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,655
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

River Cree is moving their poker room to the pit as of Wednesday the 22nd. This means they will be open from noon to 3 AM, no overnight poker. I don't expect the games will be very good there while this is the case.

Yellowhead is basically 1-2 NL, all the time. They'll occasionally get a 2-5 NL or DC game going on weekends. Argyll has 2-5 PLO and 5-5 PLO regularly, as well as 1-2 NL. Baccarat downtown runs 5-10 limit DC, I believe. Biggest action these days is Argyll.
GrinningBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
pg_780
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colombia
Posts: 1,454
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Is this where Edmontonians come to complain that there is nothing above $3/6?
pg_780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
wavegoodbye
veteran
 
wavegoodbye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,022
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
River Cree is moving their poker room to the pit as of Wednesday the 22nd. This means they will be open from noon to 3 AM, no overnight poker. I don't expect the games will be very good there while this is the case.

Yellowhead is basically 1-2 NL, all the time. They'll occasionally get a 2-5 NL or DC game going on weekends. Argyll has 2-5 PLO and 5-5 PLO regularly, as well as 1-2 NL. Baccarat downtown runs 5-10 limit DC, I believe. Biggest action these days is Argyll.
is this a permenant move for river cree? and if so why?

does river cree have 2-5nl/plo on the reg as well?
wavegoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
GrinningBuddha
old hand
 
GrinningBuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,655
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavegoodbye View Post
is this a permenant move for river cree? and if so why?

does river cree have 2-5nl/plo on the reg as well?
It's as permanent as many of these decisions are, I suppose. My guess is within a year's time they will realize that it's a terrible idea since all of the poker players who used to come in and drop $1000 on baccarat or the slots will have left and they will put two and two together to figure out the reason. They will then restore the poker room and struggle to get any games since you can only mess with poker players so many times before they just give up on you.

As for why the decision was made, the parent company apparently feels that poker isn't as important as another 80 slot machines to go with the 800+ they already have, so they are converting the poker room into a high-limit slot area. These will be $1 machines, since that's the largest allowed in Alberta ATM.

Cree had a regular 5-5 PLO game last year, before they decided to change the hours. Those players are now playing at Argyll.
GrinningBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
wavegoodbye
veteran
 
wavegoodbye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,022
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
It's as permanent as many of these decisions are, I suppose. My guess is within a year's time they will realize that it's a terrible idea since all of the poker players who used to come in and drop $1000 on baccarat or the slots will have left and they will put two and two together to figure out the reason. They will then restore the poker room and struggle to get any games since you can only mess with poker players so many times before they just give up on you.

As for why the decision was made, the parent company apparently feels that poker isn't as important as another 80 slot machines to go with the 800+ they already have, so they are converting the poker room into a high-limit slot area. These will be $1 machines, since that's the largest allowed in Alberta ATM.

Cree had a regular 5-5 PLO game last year, before they decided to change the hours. Those players are now playing at Argyll.
thanks for the info man, havent played live here in quite a while but will be avoiding cree now i guess, pretty sad that the nicest casino in the city by far wont even have a 24 hour room anymore...
wavegoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
dirtlad
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Box gym
Posts: 457
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
It's as permanent as many of these decisions are, I suppose. My guess is within a year's time they will realize that it's a terrible idea since all of the poker players who used to come in and drop $1000 on baccarat or the slots will have left and they will put two and two together to figure out the reason. They will then restore the poker room and struggle to get any games since you can only mess with poker players so many times before they just give up on you.

As for why the decision was made, the parent company apparently feels that poker isn't as important as another 80 slot machines to go with the 800+ they already have, so they are converting the poker room into a high-limit slot area. These will be $1 machines, since that's the largest allowed in Alberta ATM.

Cree had a regular 5-5 PLO game last year, before they decided to change the hours. Those players are now playing at Argyll.
Really too bad. I live in the west end less than 5 minutes from the Cree. I would prefer to stay there or the yellowhead, as the rest are a little far for an recreational player whose wife only lets him out for 4 hours at a time

Since we are on/off the topic, any comments on the upgraded poker room at the Gold Dust (or whatever its called) in St. Albert?
dirtlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
collincapone
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 806
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27AllIn View Post
hard to find anything above 1/2 nlh or 3/6 limit. if you like plo check out argyle for 5/5.

@fallsviewpokerpro did you play in any cash games at fallsview during their poker classic series a short while ago? It was so hard to get a seat once i got on one for 10/25 nl i never got up for 14 hours.
Big difference between 1-2 NL game in Edmonton vs a 1-2 NL game in Fallsview imo. Here you can buy in for $500 and in Fallsview I think the max is $200. At least that's what it was last time I was there and I was suprised how low the buy in was and how nitty everyone played.
collincapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
aznxray
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 536
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

The Gold Dust casino at St. Albert apparently always has a late night 1/2 game running, they have a tall-stack buy-in rule, where you can buy in for the amount the tall stack has on the table. Century also has 1/2 action on the weekends and the occasional thursday after the tournament players bust.
aznxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
ZenX
journeyman
 
ZenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 212
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Wow, I am shocked by the River Cree's poker room move decision. I live in the Calgary area, but I am in Edmonton fairly regularly and always loved the Cree's poker room. Everytime I have been there it has been busy.
ZenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
dirtlad
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Box gym
Posts: 457
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Today is the Cree's room move day. Could we get a trip report from someone? I doubt I will be able to go until the weekend.
dirtlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
celiboy
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,429
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Can anyone comment on the games at WEM? I know when the strike was on it was dead there.
celiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
dirtlad
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Box gym
Posts: 457
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiboy View Post
Can anyone comment on the games at WEM? I know when the strike was on it was dead there.
Haven't played there in about a year. They seem to run 2-3 tables of 3/6 limit, and the occasional 1/2 nl.

My beef always was that few games meant longer on the waiting list.
dirtlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #19
teeone2
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22
teeone2

I used to travel up north and remember playing in edmonton at yellowhead and also downtown. There was a casino w/ poker room in the Edmonton Mall also. Is that still there ?, I don't remember one called River Cree, where approx. is that one located. Would appreciate update since I have not been in the area for a while.
teeone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
SlightlyMad
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 305
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

River Cree ... take the Whitemud Drive out of the city to the west, and see the Marriott on the left hand side. The Marriott is attached to the casino. :-)

I drove out there on Wednesday night. They had 3 1/2nl games going (which is the usual amount for near midnight on a Wednesday), and a long wait list for the fourth because they were still working out some technical glitches with the paging and monitors. It didn't seem overtly loud or smokey (my major two concerns) at that time on a Wednesday, but it could be a lot worse on Friday or Saturday night. We shall see what happens this weekend w.r.t. noise and smoke pollution. I'm bringing noise cancelling headphones because I have a bad feeling it will be a little too loud near the Center Bar. Lord help us all if they bring in a live band to play near Center Bar again.

The late night regulars (who like to play until all hours of the morning) will probably all head to Yellowhead. I expect way more traffic at Yellowhead on Friday and Saturday.

But I like the people at River Cree and prefer to play there over Yellowhead and Argyll (I always feel like I have to autoclave after playing there). My wife is happy about the changes because I get kicked out at 3 am and should be on my way home soon thereafter ... less required napping during the middle of the next day when our daughter is bouncing off the walls! ;-)
SlightlyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #21
kman
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 78
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Wow what a shame I would come up from red deer to play there on a Saturday afternoon and all night until Sunday morning, guess I will be playing somewhere else when I come to Edmonton. Do you guys recommend yellowhead or argylle or are they pretty much similiar as far as traffic and skill?
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #22
SlightlyMad
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 305
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Gah, Oilers game and MFC at the Cree tonight. The noise level on the floor/poker room is absolutely horrible. I can barely hear myself think; let alone hear the players on the other end of the table.
SlightlyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #23
pokerclack
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 255
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

The new poker room at the Cree is really sad.
Closing at 3AM is a horrendous decision and all the players and dealers are angry about it.


The line ups to cash out are so long and to buy in you have to go to the cage yourself.

River Cree used to have such a good late night crowd, curious as to where they will go now? Yellowhead? Argyll?

River Cree will realize that they cannot screw around with the poker players so many times...
pokerclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
dirtlad
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Box gym
Posts: 457
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerclack View Post
The new poker room at the Cree is really sad.
Closing at 3AM is a horrendous decision and all the players and dealers are angry about it.


The line ups to cash out are so long and to buy in you have to go to the cage yourself.

River Cree used to have such a good late night crowd, curious as to where they will go now? Yellowhead? Argyll?

River Cree will realize that they cannot screw around with the poker players so many times...
Are we able to use the cage in the old poker room for chips, or are we stuck behind old ladies in electric scooters at the slots window?
dirtlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #25
ThinkQuick
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 848
Re: Edmonton Poker Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerclack View Post
The new poker room at the Cree is really sad.
Closing at 3AM is a horrendous decision and all the players and dealers are angry about it.
.
Sounds like the Palace (in West Edmonton Mall) after the strike.

They never could attract a good volume again once they made changes that provided less service to poker players. (Especially because the River Cree opened up nearby).

We've talked about this together years ago pokerclack.. In a city with 5 poker rooms, why don't we have a culture of the casinos cutting rake or offering mad player points or other incentives to attract players. That's what is unfortunate!
ThinkQuick is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online