Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #101
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,938
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraffinic Naphtha View Post
So the other night I'm racking up 4k in chips at the 500 NL game when the floorman comes by to tell me good job and pats me on the back and he keeps standing there like I'm supposed to toss a cpl $5 chips his way. I don't mind taking care of floormen when they run their games well, run for chips, facilitate a tbl change, or give me a heads-up on softer-looking games, but this floorman wasn't the one that seated me nor had I ever talked to him before in my life. As I'm cashing out he's talking with one of the other floormen and keeps glancing over at me as if I was supposed to give him a handout. Then I notice over the next few nights this same floorman "making his rounds" with the 500 NL regulars who are playing and they immediately shake his hand with 1-5 $5 chips for him to pocket. No great appreciation from the floorman just a casual thank you, again as if he were expecting this handout. Could someone pls explain what this is all about?


Yep. I assume his name starts with an S and is frequently mispronounced to sound Latin instead of Russian. He spends a good part of his shift walking around shaking hands with people, hoping there's some chips in the palm.

Don't bother tipping them if you don't want to. I'm a reg there and tip the floormen only if they do something for me like a table change or seat me ahead of others on the list (yes, they do that for tippers). But I probably outlay about $5 a week for floormen tips altogether, and I NEVER hand them anything when I'm racking up and they're complimenting me on my stellar poker skillz.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #102
chilidog0425
veteran
 
chilidog0425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,127
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Eco-
report from the $3k? Still in there?
chilidog0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #103
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,938
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog0425 View Post
Eco-
report from the $3k? Still in there?
Negative. Busted in level 4 yesterday. One of those tourneys where I just couldn't get any traction and repeatedly ran my head into a brick wall. Bummer, I could use the $160k.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #104
ch2cch3
newbie
 
ch2cch3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 42
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco74 View Post
False. Vicious rumor.
lol
ch2cch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #105
Paraffinic Naphtha
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 69
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Ok so yday there's this hand where button opened and c-bet an A-hi board with 2 clubs and BB called. Someone was running for BB's chips so button's bets (one stack of 35 and one of 45) were placed in front of BB's cards. Turn club and they ck. River club. BB lifts the 35 stack shoulder height in the air and semi-forcefully taps them down on the 45 stack to where it was clear to the rest of the tbl that it was a cking motion. BB waits for button to ck before he declared that he had never ckd and was just "counting the chips." Dealer of the same ethnicity firmly defends that BB never ckd without thinking much about it. We call the flr over and he makes a ruling that it wasn't a ck. Runner is over here with BB's chips at this pt and BB shoves two $5 stacks (5-10 games should rly be played with $10 chips...) in the middle while purposely lining one of the stacks with the $80 he owed. The dealer then allows him to add another $80 to his bet. Button folds and when asked if he took care of his floormen he said that he tips them all the time but isn't going to anymore. Some dirty angling going around this place. Seems like it's mostly the losing plyrs that try to pull ***** like this though so eh, whatever...
Paraffinic Naphtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #106
Fulzgold
veteran
 
Fulzgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A poker cave
Posts: 3,159
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Yeah Paraff, sounds like you are not a from 'round here. There is an extreme sleaze factor to the L.A. poker scene, much different than Vegas or anywhere else I've personally played. It starts at the top with casino ownership/mgmt who will do whatever it takes to fleece players (see un win-able Asian games and giant poker drop/BBJ scam) and trickles down at every level to the players who don't give a rats balls about the integrity of the game. Many just aren't aware that they shouldn't be doing anything within their power to scoop pots so angle-shooting is commonplace. Those of us who notice this put up with it because we enjoy playing against the worst players on earth.
Fulzgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #107
Hi?
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: La Jolla
Posts: 2,428
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Can anyone give me any info on what kind of Stud/Mixed Games are run and what limits are usually played? Thanks in advance.
Hi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #108
Actionjunkie
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,032
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
The problem with blowing off floormen who want tips is that many of them really do favor regulars who tip them in their rulings. (Indeed, if I were on a state gambling commission, I would make tipping the floorman illegal-- you aren't allowed to tip the stewards when you go to the racetrack in the hopes that they will rule your way on a disqualification.)

Under the current system, if you play at a place regularly, you need to develop the reputation as a decent (but not ridiculous) tipper.


I agree 100%. I tip the chip runner 2-5 bucks every time even if I am rebuying. I don't play as often as the regulars so I justify the expense. However the floormen make decisions on pots and bets. Tipping them should not be an option. Your racing steward comparison is spot on.
Actionjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #109
EZJZ
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: L.A.
Posts: 271
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraffinic Naphtha View Post
Ok so yday there's this hand where button opened and c-bet an A-hi board with 2 clubs and BB called. Someone was running for BB's chips so button's bets (one stack of 35 and one of 45) were placed in front of BB's cards. Turn club and they ck. River club. BB lifts the 35 stack shoulder height in the air and semi-forcefully taps them down on the 45 stack to where it was clear to the rest of the tbl that it was a cking motion. BB waits for button to ck before he declared that he had never ckd and was just "counting the chips." Dealer of the same ethnicity firmly defends that BB never ckd without thinking much about it. We call the flr over and he makes a ruling that it wasn't a ck. Runner is over here with BB's chips at this pt and BB shoves two $5 stacks (5-10 games should rly be played with $10 chips...) in the middle while purposely lining one of the stacks with the $80 he owed. The dealer then allows him to add another $80 to his bet. Button folds and when asked if he took care of his floormen he said that he tips them all the time but isn't going to anymore. Some dirty angling going around this place. Seems like it's mostly the losing plyrs that try to pull ***** like this though so eh, whatever...
Since when is putting a chip stack forcefully on top of another a checking motion?

A check is a verbal statement or a hand tap on the table. Limit yourself to these and you won't have any problems. If you're unsure, ask the player if he acted yet.
EZJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #110
D_o_n_k_e_y
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest Broward
Posts: 52
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Love this thread, since I play there when I'm in LA..

More stories, g*ddamn it!

D_o_n_k_e_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #111
mike l.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mike l.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,771
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

I have extra bed til the 16th if anyone wants to share the cost of a room. Pm me.
mike l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #112
D_o_n_k_e_y
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest Broward
Posts: 52
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Man, this fuggin thread is dead...
D_o_n_k_e_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #113
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,938
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_n_k_e_y View Post
Man, this fuggin thread is dead...
Thanks for doing everything you could to bring it back to life.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #114
littlesteven
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 96
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

CPR attempt:

Playing 8-16 on a Saturday night. At maybe 3am, another table breaks up, and this ANGRY DUDE from that game sits down at our table in seat 7. He is drunk, aggressive, and irritable. For unknown reasons, he decides that the ASIAN GUY in seat 4 is his sworn enemy. Every time Angry takes a pot that AG is invoved in, he just starts taunting him.

As if happens, I've been playing with AG for a few hours, and he's never said more than 4 or 5 words at a time. He has a pretty heavy accent, and I'm not entirely sure if he understands English. He is sober, polite, etc.

For other reasons that I can't determine, the Angry Dude has decided I am a "good guy" -- shows me his uncalled hands, tells me I'm a good player, etc.

So after a few too many taunts, I say to Angry, very casually, that he looks "like he's spoiling for a fight." I'm just trying to calm him down. Angry laughs and says no, he just likes to talk trash, and he's only been in one fight at a casino before. Ugh.

Then it happens. Seat 8 opens up, the seat right behind Angry. Asian Guy very casually tosses a chip toward the empty seat. Angry decides that the chip toss has landed too close to him. He grabs the chip and shouts at Asian Guy, "You throw a $@#%ing chip at me?!!!" He HURLS the chip back at Asian Guy. It hits him in the chest/throat area.

Suddenly, they both burst out of their seats. They get right in each other's faces, less than a few inches from each other, and Angry Dude is shouting, "Huh?! You wanna kiss me? Huh!?"

Order of events is unclear, but Asian Guy gets his hands around Angry's throat, and Angry has Asian guy (literally) by the balls. (I couldn't see this, but it was recounted later by the other players.)

They both go banging onto the felt, the security guards come running, and they are pulled apart.

Angry is screaming at Asian, "You are going DOWN!" I think, in his view, the Asian Guy is at fault. Then, in an act of brilliance, Asian Guy just sits back down at the table, as if he's going to be dealt back into the game.

Security Guards eventually drag both of them off.
littlesteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #115
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,938
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Thread resuscitated. Thank you littlesteven.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #116
D_o_n_k_e_y
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest Broward
Posts: 52
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesteven View Post
if he's going to be dealt back into the game.

Security Guards eventually drag both of them off.


Haha!

Bring this bish back man..

Do it!!
D_o_n_k_e_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #117
jackbowie123
centurion
 
jackbowie123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 113
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

I'm visiting LA for a week or so in July and hope to check out the Commerce and the Bike. What type of games can I expect to find? Ideally I'd like to avoid 1/2 or 2/5 NLHE. Any LHE, stud or O8 in the 5/10 to 10/20 range?
jackbowie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #118
andyfox
2+2 urban legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: La-la land, where else?
Posts: 21,551
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesteven View Post
CPR attempt:

Playing 8-16 on a Saturday night. At maybe 3am, another table breaks up, and this ANGRY DUDE from that game sits down at our table in seat 7. He is drunk, aggressive, and irritable. For unknown reasons, he decides that the ASIAN GUY in seat 4 is his sworn enemy. Every time Angry takes a pot that AG is invoved in, he just starts taunting him.

As if happens, I've been playing with AG for a few hours, and he's never said more than 4 or 5 words at a time. He has a pretty heavy accent, and I'm not entirely sure if he understands English. He is sober, polite, etc.

For other reasons that I can't determine, the Angry Dude has decided I am a "good guy" -- shows me his uncalled hands, tells me I'm a good player, etc.

So after a few too many taunts, I say to Angry, very casually, that he looks "like he's spoiling for a fight." I'm just trying to calm him down. Angry laughs and says no, he just likes to talk trash, and he's only been in one fight at a casino before. Ugh.

Then it happens. Seat 8 opens up, the seat right behind Angry. Asian Guy very casually tosses a chip toward the empty seat. Angry decides that the chip toss has landed too close to him. He grabs the chip and shouts at Asian Guy, "You throw a $@#%ing chip at me?!!!" He HURLS the chip back at Asian Guy. It hits him in the chest/throat area.

Suddenly, they both burst out of their seats. They get right in each other's faces, less than a few inches from each other, and Angry Dude is shouting, "Huh?! You wanna kiss me? Huh!?"

Order of events is unclear, but Asian Guy gets his hands around Angry's throat, and Angry has Asian guy (literally) by the balls. (I couldn't see this, but it was recounted later by the other players.)

They both go banging onto the felt, the security guards come running, and they are pulled apart.

Angry is screaming at Asian, "You are going DOWN!" I think, in his view, the Asian Guy is at fault. Then, in an act of brilliance, Asian Guy just sits back down at the table, as if he's going to be dealt back into the game.

Security Guards eventually drag both of them off.
Another day in paradise.

I once saw two guys get tossed out before the game even started. They were arguing over the tray table between the two seats.
andyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #119
sternroolz
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,704
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbowie123 View Post
I'm visiting LA for a week or so in July and hope to check out the Commerce and the Bike. What type of games can I expect to find? Ideally I'd like to avoid 1/2 or 2/5 NLHE. Any LHE, stud or O8 in the 5/10 to 10/20 range?
Commerce = $8-16 LHE with 1/2 kill.
Bike = Dunno, but probably the same. Possibly $6-12 or $8-16 O8 also. I haven't been there in 3-4 years though.
sternroolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #120
D_o_n_k_e_y
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest Broward
Posts: 52
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Anything new?

I'm planning a business trip there during the end of October to play some 15/30.

I love this place...
D_o_n_k_e_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #121
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,028
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_n_k_e_y View Post
Anything new?

I'm planning a business trip there during the end of October to play some 15/30.

I love this place...
You can play 20/40 or 8/16 with a 1/2 kill. For 15/30, you need to go to Hollywood Park.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #122
Killerread9
adept
 
Killerread9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 713
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Played there for the first time last night. Was fun, just hated the blind structure for the low limit NL games. Kinda sucks when the blinds are 2-3 and the max is 100 and the standard raise is 20 bucks.
Killerread9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 AM   #123
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,028
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerread9 View Post
Played there for the first time last night. Was fun, just hated the blind structure for the low limit NL games. Kinda sucks when the blinds are 2-3 and the max is 100 and the standard raise is 20 bucks.
Welcome to California. Just remember to smile when you shove.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:01 AM   #124
otter
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,005
Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

I was glad to hear that 5/10nl upped their buyin from $400 to.....$1500, or $1000? Anyway, is the $2/5 game still capped at $200 or is it $500?
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:23 AM   #125
MistaWizard
enthusiast
 
MistaWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 86
Club Re: Commerce Casino (Los Angeles, CA) Poker Thread

400 cap 5/10 is still there as of last month but dying out. best game is 500-1500 buy in 5/10 game. and the 200 is 3/5 blinds not 2/5 . 100 is 2/3. 40 is 1/2. have fun and try the mongolian beef - peace
MistaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online