Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Venues & Communities Discussion of live, legal poker venues, and discussion among players in live poker "neighborhoods."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #151
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 13,168
When I was there for a few weekdays about a month ago, the 10/20 was going every day, but sometimes just for a few hours in the afternoon. The 20/40 always had at least one game going, plus a must move that would start up, die, then start up again.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using 2+2 Forums
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #152
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 11,022
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrducks View Post
Golden Nugget in Atlantic City opened in Nov/Dec 2011 so it entered a saturated and diminishing Atlantic City market less than 2 years ago, failed to establish a share of the market, and closed. Just an example of a failed attempt to enter the market.

Revel in Atlantic City is the same story. The room was hardly ever open except for a few tables during peak hours so just a sign of a horrible launch into a saturated and shrinking Atlantic City market.

The problem with Atlantic City in general is that with casinos opening in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, and even Ohio (another sign of the growing popularity of poker), there is much for competition and the Atlantic City poker rooms are too slow to respond since they have had a regional monopoly for way too long. The casinos around Philadelphia are enough to steal away a major share from Atlantic City poker rooms!

The Tropicana in Las Vegas is the same story. They opened with Jamie Gold as the room sponsor and had a bunch of horrible promos and never built up a share of the local market. They were closed most days and had 1-3 tables going on some Fri and Sat nights. They were new to the saturated LV market and never got any momentum going. Not a sign of less poker interest since other rooms around it are doing well; just horrible management.

The M Resort is an interesting story. They closed their poker room but it was simply as a business decision since they needed floor space for their slot tournaments. Clearly slots bring in more money per square foot than poker rooms so they decided to close the room as a business decision and not due to lack of demand. In fact, they had a $500K guarantee recently that drew over 630 players and built a prize pool of $1.4 million. They are even planning to repeat that tournament next year even without a cash game poker room.

In that same time, LVH opened a new poker room and an electronic poker room opened in downtown Las Vegas. So even though these rooms closed, others are opening due to the demand for poker!

So all those employees are simply working at bad businesses and should move to other poker rooms opening up around the country. Just recently, a big room has opened up in Maryland and earlier this year, CET opened a casino in Cincinnati complete with its own poker room.

So you're only telling one side of the story and picking poor examples to prove your false point.
There's actually another side to this story, and it's that a lot of complaints come out of poker rooms and they drive some casino executives crazy. This is even true at casinos that have small poker rooms, and thus they'll often get shut down because the executive gets tired of having more complaints come from his six table room than from the rest of the casino. So the fact that some small poker rooms have recently been closed, well, that's the way it's always been except durng the few years when poker was booming.

In addition, there's also a flaw in your argument above. While it may be true that slots bring in more per square foot than a poker table, it doesn't mean that adding more slots to the casino floor will increase the slot revenue, and having more space for their slot tournamemts, as you describe, is sort of the equvalent of adding more slot machines. Of course, this doesn't mean that you're wrong, and the few times that I looked at the M Poker Room it didn't have much business.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #153
mrducks
Pooh-Bah
 
mrducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
There's actually another side to this story, and it's that a lot of complaints come out of poker rooms and they drive some casino executives crazy. This is even true at casinos that have small poker rooms, and thus they'll often get shut down because the executive gets tired of having more complaints come from his six table room than from the rest of the casino. So the fact that some small poker rooms have recently been closed, well, that's the way it's always been except durng the few years when poker was booming.

In addition, there's also a flaw in your argument above. While it may be true that slots bring in more per square foot than a poker table, it doesn't mean that adding more slots to the casino floor will increase the slot revenue, and having more space for their slot tournamemts, as you describe, is sort of the equvalent of adding more slot machines. Of course, this doesn't mean that you're wrong, and the few times that I looked at the M Poker Room it didn't have much business.

Best wishes,
Mason
Good points and thanks for offering that viewpoint. I didn't factor (or honestly know) that complaints would play such a large factor and could be a reason for closing a poker room. I thought it always comes down to the bottom line (money) so they will deal with complaints unless they end up spending too much money handling the complaints or they lead to legal issues.

My response was mainly to argue with some random statements people made in this thread about poker losing popularity and rooms closing down. They used some random examples of rooms closing so I figure that I would argue the opposite for the sake of argument (isn't that what forums are for ).
mrducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #154
hutch5
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 360
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

I plan on flying out tomorrow and playing 2-5, 1-2 or 1-3 NL and some 10-20 LHE...

I have not been to or stayed at Bellagio in over 5 years...

Is it still the end all be all for poker or has Aria taken over?
hutch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #155
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,958
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

That's a strange assumption to include in your question as a given. Aria isn't the only game in town, there are plenty of tables at 2/5 at Bellagio, Aria, Venetian, Wynn, MGM. 1/2 or 1/3 is pretty much literally everywhere.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #156
Phineas T Poker
journeyman
 
Phineas T Poker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wishing Rapini would be replaced
Posts: 391
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

I played here for the first time today, and found it...okay. I'm actually surprised to say the room was underwhelming. I can't put my finger on why, either. Action was okay, ebbing and flowing as players rotated through the game, and there were 15-20 games going. It's a lovely room, and I suspect I may have enjoyed the experience more if I was a regular here.

I've played at 5 different casinos (Horseshoe Southern Indiana, Hollywood Kansas City, Ameristar Black Hawk, Venetian, and Bellagio) in the past 6 days and this is the first one I've left without thinking "That was fun". I'll need to give it another chance on my next Vegas trip to see if it was a fluke or not.
Phineas T Poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #157
theraiser
stranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

been to vegas 3 times

i've played at aria, monte carlo, planet hollywood, caesars, the quad, bellagio, venetian, binions, mgm

and never am i more nervous than when im at bellagio, its so weird, it takes me forever to decide to play a game

at aria i feel like a boss

bellagio seems so higher class, its weird

aria is nice, but its got such a modern feel to it like modern upper class


bellagio is like mount olympus
theraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #158
rpeezy
grinder
 
rpeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Up the hill
Posts: 476
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

why do they serve their bottled waters as pre-opened? grosses me out and i had one waitress tell me this weekend that she opened it for me...no way this is true.
rpeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #159
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 13,168
Why would you not believe her? Who do you think opened it?

I'm guessing they think it is classy to open it for you. When you order a beer bottle most places they open that for you too.
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #160
spring83
Jack of all trades
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 3,302
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeezy View Post
why do they serve their bottled waters as pre-opened? grosses me out and i had one waitress tell me this weekend that she opened it for me...no way this is true.
Cheaper to re-fill them from a sink rather than give everyone new ones.
spring83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #161
bigpotpoker
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: due
Posts: 2,512
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

When did they remove a few tables? It actually helped and it's not so cramped. Next, they could use bigger tv's.
bigpotpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #162
rpeezy
grinder
 
rpeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Up the hill
Posts: 476
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
Why would you not believe her? Who do you think opened it?

I'm guessing they think it is classy to open it for you. When you order a beer bottle most places they open that for you too.
I don't believe her because I was given a different reason from another server but I can't recall exactly what it was.

I understand the need to open a beer since not all are twist offs and once the lid is off it serves no purpose so it prevents clutter on the tables or floor. Also, if you ever seen the waitresses in the drink wells, then you know they are flying and garnishing their drinks and doing that sort of crap. There is zero chance they are taking the time to individually crack each bottle of water.
rpeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #163
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,958
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

If you actually think Bellagio is refilling water bottles, you're an idiot.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #164
rpeezy
grinder
 
rpeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Up the hill
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco74 View Post
If you actually think Bellagio is refilling water bottles, you're an idiot.
Did I say that? If you don't know then shut it. You're batting 1.000 on negative BS comments.
rpeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #165
mrducks
Pooh-Bah
 
mrducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,764
I doubt they refill bottles but wouldn't put it past a waitress to pick up what looks like a new bottle off one table (left behind by someone) and re-serve it to someone else.

Have been served open bottles before at other casinos and simply asked for a new one and never been told no.
mrducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #166
Lattimer
I is smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 14,140
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeezy View Post
Did I say that?
Well then what are you saying? The bottle is served open, but you claim there's zero chance the waitress did it, so... ?
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #167
Lattimer
I is smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 14,140
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpotpoker View Post
I don't know why mods deleted my post
You should try, like, reading the rules and stuff.

(7) Privacy of non-famous players and card room employees. Respect other players' and card room employees' privacy; do not use personally identifying information on the forum unless they have given permission to do so either explicitly on the forums or implicitly by becoming an authorized representative.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #168
bigpotpoker
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: due
Posts: 2,512
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Lol at that. People have called out certain employees all the time for being good or bad. As well as people talking about other players in a certain game. And if you're going to be rude to the people that are coming in to play at your casino, you should be called out for it.
bigpotpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #169
Lattimer
I is smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 14,140
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpotpoker View Post
Lol at that. People have called out certain employees all the time for being good or bad. As well as people talking about other players in a certain game. And if you're going to be rude to the people that are coming in to play at your casino, you should be called out for it.
Well they're not allowed to in B&M. If any such post wasn't deleted it's because mods didn't see it. Enough derailment. If you wish to discuss further please do so in the Moderation Discussion thread: https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/27...hread-1015451/
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #170
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,958
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeezy View Post
Did I say that? If you don't know then shut it. You're batting 1.000 on negative BS comments.
You're certainly implying something nefarious on their end. Otherwise, all you're doing is complaining about a total non-issue, which I guess is par for the course for a lot of poker players.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #171
bigpotpoker
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: due
Posts: 2,512
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Played the past 2 weekends here and the 5/10 is just reg infested. There usually about 3 tables and a pretty big disappointment. If not regs they were just nits not giving any action.
bigpotpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #172
663366
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: depends
Posts: 3,872
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

What do you expect, the weeks before Christmas are usually worst time of year anywhere for live poker, other than the weeks straight after WSOP.
663366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #173
McMelchior
veteran
 
McMelchior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC, NY Vocation: Giraffe
Posts: 2,647
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeezy View Post
I don't believe her because I was given a different reason from another server but I can't recall exactly what it was. [...] There is zero chance they are taking the time to individually crack each bottle of water.
Last year every time I've had a waitress deliver Fiji to me in Bellagio's poker room it's been with the comment "I cracked the lid for you".

Most of the time the seal has been partly broken, but NOT to a point where anything nefarious could have gone down.

The idea that Bellagio would encourage - or even allow - the serving of used or refilled bottles is preposterous.

All it takes to bring the Bellagio many millions of dollars in the red is one patron contracting some unpleasant health issue and proving, that it could have been caused by Bellagio passing a contaminated water bottle on to him/her.

The idea that a major corporation in a competitive marketplace would run this risk in order to save what's likely 50 cents wholesale per bottle makes no sense.

Notice, that if it really happened the management would be trusting a secret crucial to the continued successful operation of the business in the hands of a number of close-to-bottom level employees.

This is like on the business school top ten lists of no-nos.

Last edited by McMelchior; 12-22-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Let's quote someone else
McMelchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #174
dinesh
veteran
 
dinesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,288
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

It's probably to prevent you, the customer, from hoarding the bottles and then reselling them yourself. And no doubt they started doing it because people were doing exactly that.

Having said that, I am in the Bellagio 1-3 times a year, and I don't recall any of my Fiji bottles ever being opened by the waitress, but I may just not be remembering.
dinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #175
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,958
Re: Bellagio (Las Vegas, NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh View Post
It's probably to prevent you, the customer, from hoarding the bottles and then reselling them yourself. And no doubt they started doing it because people were doing exactly that.
.
Now that I can see, knowing that poker players are just scummy and nitty enough to do exactly that.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online