Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Programming Discussions about computer programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #12576
Grue
Pooh-Bah
 
Grue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: It is pitch black.
Posts: 5,638
I don't know about anyone else but if I'm tasked to work on legacy code full of useless comments I just rage delete them.
Grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #12577
maxtower
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
maxtower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,907
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
Yeah I have a degree in physics, and other than a couple community college classes I'm self-taught at programming. So I definitely missed all the CS theory. I don't think it slows me down at my job – but I would like to know all that stuff.
A couple of those new free online classes would get you 90% of the way there.
maxtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #12578
txpstwx
old hand
 
txpstwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,239
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtower View Post
A couple of those new free online classes would get you 90% of the way there.
Any recommendations?
txpstwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #12579
maxtower
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
maxtower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,907
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

I have mostly only taken the more practical courses at coursera, but they have a whole section on theory.

https://www.coursera.org/courses?ord...cats=cs-theory

There's new offerings every semester it seems. Try an algorithms class.
maxtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #12580
daveT
S.A.G.E. Master
 
daveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: La La Land
Posts: 23,167
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

I've heard great things about the Sedwich courses. The MIT OCW class will get you 110% there.

Both of the books are pretty good, but I prefer CLRS much more.
daveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #12581
e i pi
veteran
 
e i pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ☃
Posts: 2,230
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
Yeah I have a degree in physics, and other than a couple community college classes I'm self-taught at programming. So I definitely missed all the CS theory. I don't think it slows me down at my job – but I would like to know all that stuff.
I've heard good things about this book

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...dp/1449329276/
e i pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #12582
e i pi
veteran
 
e i pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ☃
Posts: 2,230
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtower View Post
I have mostly only taken the more practical courses at coursera, but they have a whole section on theory.

https://www.coursera.org/courses?ord...cats=cs-theory

There's new offerings every semester it seems. Try an algorithms class.
I liked coursera more when you could access all of a classes videos after the course was over. Now when they reboot a class they close off access to the last one even if you were enrolled. I'm guessing it might be because theyre trying to monetize and have paid for certificates now & want to make it less easy to cheat.

The 'view course record' button is still present on some pages but they set it to disabled. I actually used dev tools to remove the disabled attr and it worked on https://www.coursera.org/course/algs4partII But the trick won't work on the first sedgewick algo course which sucks because I wanted to review red black trees but now have to wait a month.
e i pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #12583
maxtower
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
maxtower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,907
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by e i pi View Post
I liked coursera more when you could access all of a classes videos after the course was over. Now when they reboot a class they close off access to the last one even if you were enrolled. I'm guessing it might be because theyre trying to monetize and have paid for certificates now & want to make it less easy to cheat.

The 'view course record' button is still present on some pages but they set it to disabled. I actually used dev tools to remove the disabled attr and it worked on https://www.coursera.org/course/algs4partII But the trick won't work on the first sedgewick algo course which sucks because I wanted to review red black trees but now have to wait a month.
I am a coursera novice, but I think I can access the videos for classes I already signed up for when they were offered. I think the dominant strategy here is to just sign up for anything you might want to take.

The certificates seem worthless, but I guess people are in to them.
maxtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #12584
Benholio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Benholio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,292
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJo336 View Post
Code:
for( int i = 0; i < decisionList.size(); i++) {
	makeDecision(decisionList.get(i), theres, 9, params,
                            in, this, function, which, sucks);
}
..

private void makeDecision(Object obj , theres, 9, 
                              params, in, this, function, 
                              which, sucks) {
	if obj == blah {
		delete();
	} else {
		update();
	}
}
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
I'm still not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but as I understand it I think I would do something like:

Code:
private void deleteOrUpdateList(decisionList, ...) {
  toDeleteList = new List()
  toUpdateList = new List()

  for( int i = 0; i < decisionList.size(); i++) {
    obj = decisionList.get(i)
    if (shouldBeDeleted(obj,...)) {
      toDeleteList.append(obj)
    } else {
      toUpdateList.append(obj)
    }
  }
  //Go through and call your delete/update methods
}

private bool shouldBeDeleted(Object obj, ...) {
   return <delete check>;
}
I like jjshabado's suggestion and the advice that follows it, especially regarding naming. The only comment I have is that if you were to use the above solution, also consider refactoring the existing method so that it uses shouldBeDeleted() instead of duplicating the delete check logic.

Code:
private void makeDecision(Object obj , theres, 9, 
                              params, in, this, function, 
                              which, sucks) {
	if shouldBeDeleted(obj, ...) {
		delete();
	} else {
		update();
	}
}
That way, if the delete check logic ever changes you don't have to worry about it being updated in one place and not the other.
Benholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #12585
e i pi
veteran
 
e i pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ☃
Posts: 2,230
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtower View Post
I am a coursera novice, but I think I can access the videos for classes I already signed up for when they were offered. I think the dominant strategy here is to just sign up for anything you might want to take.
Can anyone get into the archives for this?

https://www.coursera.org/course/algs4partI

I got into the archives for part II and guessed the url for the 1st course to be https://class.coursera.org/algs4partI-002 which seems right but theres an error and no content. This will redirect you to the main page if you're not signed in but takes me to the course page but without the content.

I was signed up for this btw, so that isn't the issue.
e i pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #12586
TheMetetrown
veteran
 
TheMetetrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mexico
Posts: 2,287
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

The MOOCs are good for the basics, but (and I haven't looked much) I haven't seen any good architecture/OS classes.
TheMetetrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #12587
Shoe Lace
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,654
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

When I took cs50 I talked to a TA for a bit.

He recommended this book for learning the low level gory details:
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Syste.../dp/B008VIXMWQ

I would imagine something like this book (or similar) would be a pre-req for any OS class. The author taught computer architecture courses for many years and I vaguely remember the TA saying this was one of the best computer books he's ever read.
Shoe Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #12588
candybar
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,975
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
If I understand correctly, his makeDecision implementation needs to change because he wants all the updates/deletes done at the end instead of immediately after each decision is made.
I thought he may have other call sites where he doesn't want this change applied. You may be correct that he needs this change everywhere but definitely not clear from what he's said so far.
candybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #12589
_dave_
_Pooh_Bah_
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK (or what remains of it)
Posts: 12,950
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

I've still yet to read it, this was highly recommended somwhere before: Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Code-Languag.../dp/0735611319
_dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #12590
candybar
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,975
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
Yeah I have a degree in physics, and other than a couple community college classes I'm self-taught at programming. So I definitely missed all the CS theory. I don't think it slows me down at my job – but I would like to know all that stuff.
Yeah, makes sense, you may even be the type to be able to use that knowledge too. My impression is that 90+% of the CS grads are completely unable to connect the theory they learned in school beyond intro-level to the real-world work they do, even in situations where such knowledge is helpful, leaving them no better off than people who completely skipped it.

In the middle of my first (company-sponsored) hackathon, very interesting.
candybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #12591
clowntable
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
clowntable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 39, 46, 56, 59, 191
Posts: 45,562
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dave_ View Post
I've still yet to read it, this was highly recommended somwhere before: Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Code-Languag.../dp/0735611319
It's a decent read but slightly overrated imo

Since someone mentioned OS...I can recommend reading and working through "The Elements of Computing Systems" which basically walks you from lowest level (you have a nand...design other logic gates etc.) all the way up to building an OS and eventually an application on top of it (Tetris). I haven't completely worked through it all but I've read the entire book.
Work through it+modify etc. is medium high on my "todo if time" list.
clowntable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #12592
alex23
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1st world obv
Posts: 2,962
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe Lace View Post
When I took cs50 I talked to a TA for a bit.

He recommended this book for learning the low level gory details:
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Syste.../dp/B008VIXMWQ

I would imagine something like this book (or similar) would be a pre-req for any OS class. The author taught computer architecture courses for many years and I vaguely remember the TA saying this was one of the best computer books he's ever read.
That's a great book. I took the follow-up course to cs50 (paid for it via their online extension program), and that was the textbook. I found it quite difficult since I was new to C and fairly new to pointers, memory addresses, heap/stack, etc, but in the end am very happy I learned the material.
alex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #12593
daveT
S.A.G.E. Master
 
daveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: La La Land
Posts: 23,167
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

For the more budget-minded, I'd suggest this book. Covers x86, the history, the why, and the how. Very thorough treatment of assembly, registers, and memory: http://www.amazon.com/Assembly-Langu...ileys+assembly
daveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #12594
jaytorr
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 127
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by e i pi View Post
Can anyone get into the archives for this?

https://www.coursera.org/course/algs4partI

I got into the archives for part II and guessed the url for the 1st course to be https://class.coursera.org/algs4partI-002 which seems right but theres an error and no content. This will redirect you to the main page if you're not signed in but takes me to the course page but without the content.

I was signed up for this btw, so that isn't the issue.
I think most courses leave the archive online after they are over, but it depends on the university / instructor. AFAIK all the Princeton classes take the archives offline after the course is over. This is a pretty bad practice IMO.

The Sedgewick algorithms classes are very good, they go into a lot of implementation details that are useful. Most of his book and code is available online: http://algs4.cs.princeton.edu/code/

Another really good option is Roughgarden's Algorithms. That one focuses more on algorithmic thinking, not so much on implementation.
https://www.coursera.org/course/algo

Both run regularly (about 2x /year).
jaytorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #12595
gaming_mouse
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gaming_mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: taking notes on u (see profile)
Posts: 13,782
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

have you taken the MIT algorithm course? i'm curious how it compares to the stanford and princeton ones? i don't know if it runs like the others but all the materials are online so you can take it at any time.
gaming_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #12596
tercet
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tercet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: thall
Posts: 7,318
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Life Dilemma..

I am a Jr Web Dev(C#,HTML,CSS,JS) w/ 18 months on the job(36k), I started out pretty fresh but I have improved a lot over the 18 months. I want to possibly try something more challenging in the same field, but it doesn't look as if any opportunities for a promotion/raise will arise in my company anytime soon.

So I'm thinking of two plans to get a new job..
A)Grind out current job, work on a new portfolo, poker p/t on the side while looking for new job
B)Leave my current job, work on a new portfolio, and play poker 40hrs/week ~(grind out 5-8k a month) until I find a new job

Would a few months off look bad on a resume if I were to do plan B?
tercet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #12597
candybar
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,975
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytorr View Post
Another really good option is Roughgarden's Algorithms. That one focuses more on algorithmic thinking, not so much on implementation.
https://www.coursera.org/course/algo
I went through some of this as a refresher, highly recommended
candybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #12598
gaming_mouse
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gaming_mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: taking notes on u (see profile)
Posts: 13,782
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

tercet, option A.
gaming_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #12599
daveT
S.A.G.E. Master
 
daveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: La La Land
Posts: 23,167
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Honestly, I didn't like what I saw of the MIT Intro to Algorithms lectures. They go through 3 chapters of the book each day, and run through a million proofs a minute. By day two, you are watching the derivation of the Master Theorem. The course compliments the book, but if you are seeking something self-contained, you may want to look elsewhere and I would probably suggest looking into Sedgewick.

As for the books, I think that CLRS > Sedgewick. Admittedly, I only read the first 150 pages of Sedgewick, but I was turned off because the first 100 pages or so focused primarily on teaching you Java. The book is pretty non-interactive whereas CLRS a dense textbook; it doesn't waste any time diving into what you are about to face, which is analyzing and creating algorithms. CLRS also holds the advantage because the authors eschew using real code in favor of using pseudo-code. This not only makes the book feel relevant and accessible no matter what language you use, it also forces you to figure out how to do the algorithms yourself, which is much better for reinforcement and stickiness. I also find the writing more lucid and the topics spanning many interesting places, and of course, landing in NP-Complete.
daveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 AM   #12600
BadBoyBenny
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BadBoyBenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Berlin
Posts: 7,802
Re: ** UnhandledExceptionEventHandler :: OFFICIAL LC / CHATTER THREAD **

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercet View Post

Would a few months off look bad on a resume if I were to do plan B?
Yes it would look bad. Especially if you are only 18 months into your career
BadBoyBenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online