Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

History Discussion of History up to Circa 1990

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
westside77
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 12
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

It would be hard to stop 9/11 because blowing the whistle could make you an unwilling suspect.
westside77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #27
DVaut1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DVaut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 30,027
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside77 View Post
It would be hard to stop 9/11 because blowing the whistle could make you an unwilling suspect.
Was just thinking this - at least in relation to masque de Z's post and the thought-experiment he laid out where you're dropped off and don't have much time to act. One of the challenges of knowing a bunch of detailed specifics of a clandestine plot but without a plausible way to explain how you know that information is that anyone willing to listen will likely entertain the notion you're involved in the plot. The plan itself was pretty audacious and far-fetched and if you asked me the odds of it working on 9/10/2001 I'd probably say something like 25:1, maybe 50:1 or worse. So finding someone to treat you credibly would be a related challenge.

Last edited by DVaut1; 07-25-2013 at 09:48 PM.
DVaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
Gonzirra
hold on brb
 
Gonzirra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 20,004
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

With a couple of weeks' head start and the names of the flights and hijackers, you could probably convince the FBI/NSA folks to investigate. When the people named all appear on the manifests and are subsequently discovered to have box cutters on their person, gg. At the time there had been an unusual amount of activity on the traffic they monitored. Remember these are threats to the White House, Pentagon, and a mass casualty target. They'd basically have to look unless you come off like a raving lunatic.

Meanwhile all I have to remember is that the AFC wins the Superbowl the next 6 years straight, except Oakland.
Gonzirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
Bill Haywood
Pooh-Bah
 
Bill Haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: May you live to throw 1,000 shoes
Posts: 4,797
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Seems like stopping that particular terrorist attack would be relatively simple. The challenge is to stop all the attacks that would come in its place. The hijackers came out of an international movement, after all, resentful of US presence in the sacred places.

I'm thinking, give the secrets of solar power to John D. Rockefeller in the 19th century. Rather than oil, America gets run on solar. Then FDR never needs to visit Saudi Arabia or launch our involvement in the Mideast.

Or maybe it would be simpler to shoot that Serbian before he killed Archduke Ferdinand in 1915, avoid WWI, thus avoiding the turmoil that brought Hitler to power, so there is no Holocaust, and Israel is not created, whose support by the US pissed off al Qaida. But then there's the problem that some other trigger might have brought the quarreling empires to war. Ug. Maybe a 911 was inevitable.
Bill Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
Cwocwoc
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,684
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haywood View Post
Seems like stopping that particular terrorist attack would be relatively simple. The challenge is to stop all the attacks that would come in its place. The hijackers came out of an international movement, after all, resentful of US presence in the sacred places.

I'm thinking, give the secrets of solar power to John D. Rockefeller in the 19th century. Rather than oil, America gets run on solar. Then FDR never needs to visit Saudi Arabia or launch our involvement in the Mideast.

Or maybe it would be simpler to shoot that Serbian before he killed Archduke Ferdinand in 1915, avoid WWI, thus avoiding the turmoil that brought Hitler to power, so there is no Holocaust, and Israel is not created, whose support by the US pissed off al Qaida. But then there's the problem that some other trigger might have brought the quarreling empires to war. Ug. Maybe a 911 was inevitable.
Your reasoning applies to the US as well as against it. It is definitely true that the perpetrators of 9/11 wanted to attack the US in a big way but it is also true that America wants to control the world for its commercial and strategic interests regardless of its own energy needs.
Cwocwoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #31
Bill Haywood
Pooh-Bah
 
Bill Haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: May you live to throw 1,000 shoes
Posts: 4,797
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwocwoc View Post
Your reasoning applies to the US as well as against it. It is definitely true that the perpetrators of 9/11 wanted to attack the US in a big way but it is also true that America wants to control the world for its commercial and strategic interests regardless of its own energy needs.
Do you really mean to use the word control? A feature of neocolonialism is that local elites remain in power and have considerably more leverage than a formal colony. Military control -- yes, the US has overwhelming power in regions important to it.

But without oil, the Mideast is not much more important to Washington than Namibia. It might want naval domination of the sea lanes, but nothing like the close dance it has with Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Israel. Being honest here, your comment seems more driven by ideology than a look at Washington's footprint and activities.
Bill Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #32
Cotton Hill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cotton Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,326
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Once again, the idea is to stop it but not to disrupt anything else. Your goal is to specifically stop 9/11 but not destroy recorded history in the process.
Cotton Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #33
JamesD816
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 994
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

November 1990


How about pursuing the people behind the assassination of Meir Kahane in NYC a little more diligently. Many say he was the first victim of Al-Queda

http://www.newsrealblog.com/2011/05/...f-meir-kahane/
JamesD816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #34
thekid345
banned
 
thekid345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Support Jahi Mcmath
Posts: 3,620
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

I would say to go back to the 80s and prevent the people who created violent textbooks in Nebraska in the 1980s which were shipped to Afganistan during the Soviet Afgan war of the 80s. These violent textbooks implored young men to embrace Jihad in a violent way and to tear apart Soviet communists limb to limb.

As a side note, financial/military training from Pakistan/Saudi Arabia/USA led to the creation of Al Qaeda. Unfortunately 9/11 was based a series of miscalculations by Pakistan/Saudi/ USA during the Soviet- Afgan War along with its immiediate aftermath.

Last edited by thekid345; 01-12-2014 at 11:37 PM.
thekid345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:04 AM   #35
Deuces McKracken
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,692
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVaut1 View Post
Was just thinking this - at least in relation to masque de Z's post and the thought-experiment he laid out where you're dropped off and don't have much time to act. One of the challenges of knowing a bunch of detailed specifics of a clandestine plot but without a plausible way to explain how you know that information is that anyone willing to listen will likely entertain the notion you're involved in the plot. The plan itself was pretty audacious and far-fetched and if you asked me the odds of it working on 9/10/2001 I'd probably say something like 25:1, maybe 50:1 or worse. So finding someone to treat you credibly would be a related challenge.
lmao 50:1? really? gamble ever?

The odds of them going 4 for 4 on getting control of the planes and 3/4 on hitting their targets including the pentagon is a much bigger long shot. Given what we now about the air defense and many protocols which were designed to prevent this, the chance of them doing that much damage under normal assumptions or more is more like 2000:1 on 9/10. Don't forget they had to get into every cockpit, squash any resistance on every plane, avoid all our defenses, navigate properly, maneuver the plane properly- all with their level of flight training. Then they also had to not chicken out the day of or in the act. On 9/10 there was also a chance of the plot being discovered and stopped as well before the planes took off, since we know some of them were being watched.
Deuces McKracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #36
FoldnDark
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
FoldnDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louie
Posts: 11,939
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces McKracken View Post
lmao 50:1? really? gamble ever?

The odds of them going 4 for 4 on getting control of the planes and 3/4 on hitting their targets including the pentagon is a much bigger long shot. Given what we now about the air defense and many protocols which were designed to prevent this, the chance of them doing that much damage under normal assumptions or more is more like 2000:1 on 9/10. Don't forget they had to get into every cockpit, squash any resistance on every plane, avoid all our defenses, navigate properly, maneuver the plane properly- all with their level of flight training. Then they also had to not chicken out the day of or in the act. On 9/10 there was also a chance of the plot being discovered and stopped as well before the planes took off, since we know some of them were being watched.
Have you read the 9/11 Commission report, or even seen a TV special on this? There were almost zero defenses set up for the attack on 9/11. Thus all the custerfluck. Few had even considered the tactic of using planes as weapons. All future terrorist events up to that point were assumed to be bomb or hostage/ransom/political demands situations, and all countermeasures were set up to deal with those types of scenarios. They hijacked the planes with box cutters for goodness sake! They trained to fly - not land, mind you - on US soil! Chicken out?? They had virgins waiting for them. DID YOU HEAR ME, VIRGINS!!

Their chances were much higher than 2000:1. Considering how many planes they took, I think their chances of getting one direct hit was very good in the range of 1.5:1. That they got 3 of 4 was probably something like 8:1. And they weren't far off from getting all 4.

Last edited by FoldnDark; 02-10-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: speling
FoldnDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #37
nab76
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tiffin, Ohio
Posts: 528
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldnDark View Post
Have you read the 9/11 Commission report, or even seen a TV special on this? There were almost zero defenses set up for the attack on 9/11. Thus all the custerfluck. Few had even considered the tactic of using planes as weapons. All future terrorist events up to that point were assumed to be bomb or hostage/ransom/political demands situations, and all countermeasures were set up to deal with those types of scenarios. They hijacked the planes with box cutters for goodness sake! They trained to fly - not land, mind you - on US soil! Chicken out?? They had virgins waiting for them. DID YOU HEAR ME, VIRGINS!!

Their chances were much higher than 2000:1. Considering how many planes they took, I think their chances of getting one direct hit was very good in the range of 1.5:1. That they got 3 of 4 was probably something like 8:1. And they weren't far off from getting all 4.
No way the odds of a terrorist organization overtaking 3/4 planes with box cutters and hitting their target successfully is 8:1 its probably around that for each individual plane, hitting 8:1 odds 3 out of 4 times, well i don't know how to calculate that. Just because it actually happened doesn't prove that they had good odds.
nab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #38
Golfing_Stud
4L Fantasy Football Champion '14
 
Golfing_Stud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm with her!
Posts: 4,997
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Go back to early June in 1956 find Bin Laden's father or mother shoot them in the genitals.
Golfing_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #39
BrianTheMick2
Need a ride?
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16,325
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfing_Stud View Post
Go back to early June in 1956 find Bin Laden's father or mother shoot them in the genitals.
It was shown a while that what caused the unfortunate incident was people bumping really old threads for no reason.
BrianTheMick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #40
Golfing_Stud
4L Fantasy Football Champion '14
 
Golfing_Stud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm with her!
Posts: 4,997
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTheMick2 View Post
It was shown a while that what caused the unfortunate incident was people bumping really old threads for no reason.
?

Last post was 03-27-2014 before my post and we are in the history forum, this thread was front page guy.
Golfing_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #41
BrianTheMick2
Need a ride?
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16,325
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfing_Stud View Post
?

Last post was 03-27-2014 before my post and we are in the history forum, this thread was front page guy.
No excuses, man. You just caused the next tragic event. With any luck John Conner is almost done building the time machine to take out your parent's genitalia.

Last edited by BrianTheMick2; 05-19-2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: of course it is on the first page! Everything here is on the first page!!!
BrianTheMick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #42
Cotton Hill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cotton Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,326
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Well, the vast majority of people missed the point of this thread anyway.

It's how far can you go back and think you could still accomplish it.

Obviously going back to recent times (within the last 50-100 years) it can be done trivially.

The idea was if you went back way into the past, is there anything you could do.
Cotton Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #43
wander
centurion
 
wander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 114
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Without altering anything (or as little as possible) beside 9/11 itself, I think the best you can do is actually the lamest copout, but to basically kill the ones that are (going to be) responsible. Anything on a larger scale as befriending the arabs and the westerns before they start hating each other has way too much impact on the rest of the world. But just remember that preventing 9/11 by killing could very well be the reason there'll be a 10-10 so to speak.

Slightly less ethical, but for the greater good you could also prevent it by doing it yourself in the past that would result in way less casualties (if any). It would prepare us for that specific form of attacks by hijacking, basically preventing 9/11 from being possible the way it happened by having countermeasures already. (Chances are, it's just going to be another day and another method, but 9/11 itself would've been prevented)
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #44
NHA
banned
 
NHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,809
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

The most plausible thing IMO is to find a hijacker when they enter the US and take him out before 9/11. Hopefully the ensuing murder investigation sheds light on why his counterparts were in flight school and launches an investigation.
NHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #45
dzikijohnny
old hand
 
dzikijohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,214
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

9/11 is a fixed point in time Dr Who wouldn't even try to change it.
dzikijohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #46
legallyShoved
journeyman
 
legallyShoved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Detroit
Posts: 251
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Two scenarios and I will start with the easiest:

1. Bethlehem around 0 AD. Slaughter baby Jesus. Enough said.

Alternatively,

2. 900 AD. Prior to reaching 88 MPH I would infect myself with Super AIDS. I would take the Delorean to Europe 900 AD and go on a massive whoring/raping spree and let the Super AIDS decimate the entire population of the ancestors of the white devil. No white devil, no global oppression, no 9/11. (For the record, I am white)
legallyShoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #47
dzikijohnny
old hand
 
dzikijohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,214
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

What about Muslim or Indian or African or Chinese or Mongol or etc. oppression?

And after some study I am not even sure anymore that Jesus was even born anyway.
dzikijohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #48
legallyShoved
journeyman
 
legallyShoved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Detroit
Posts: 251
Re: How far back in time could you go and still stop 9/11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzikijohnny View Post

And after some study I am not even sure anymore that Jesus was even born anyway.
+1. Further, after even more study I am 100% positive that Mary wasn't a virgin.
legallyShoved is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online