Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

High Stakes PL/NL Discussions about high stakes pot-limit and no-limit hold'em (10-20 and up) Forum is closed; read only.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #176
nuggetz87
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nuggetz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15,351
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

i feel like they were actual DEA agents, but took your **** off the book or maybe reported less than they actually took. otherwise i'm not sure airport security would have ID'd them as legit.
nuggetz87 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #177
Possum2007
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 404
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viffer View Post
You know isa not a idiot, once they took my money into a bag, i yelled to the people in the bagage area nd asked them to call police , real airport security and police came and basically told me to suck a ....... they were real dea,


i went threw the extra security screening at exray, every thing was fine. i just got profiled for buying a ticket last minute for cash and the dea guys had a chip on there shoulder.


yeah i check pms, no word on jay..
It's THROUGH. Threw is a verb, like, I threw the ball like a *****. If it had happened once, ok. But you obviously need help with this.
Possum2007 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #178
DanJ.
veteran
 
DanJ.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,412
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

lol...
DanJ. is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #179
oceans11kid
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: riding the waves of variance in SD
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSoldier View Post
wow super ****ed up.

i've tried to put wads of like 20k in a basket to send it through the xray thing and they are just like wtf put that back in your pocket. (apperently if anything gets stolen while u are going through security they are on the hook for it)
Same here dave. Flew to vegas back when we were in that negotiations class and they didn't want me emptying cash rolls from my pockets.
oceans11kid is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #180
coltranedog
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 582
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansky View Post
This one time last year...

I was flying back to Montreal from Amsterdam, and while waiting for my luggage in baggage claim, a few Canadian customs guys were walking around our carousel with drug dogs. One of the dogs came up to me and sniffed around at me for a bit and moved on.

After I get my back, three plain clothed officers came up to me as I was walking out and flashed a badge and said (in classic quebecois accent) "excuse me guy, we noticed dat the dog took an interest in your bag, did you see dis?" and i say "uhhh no" or some ****. They ask if I have any drugs on me, and I of course do not. The guy says "well sorry, but the dog is never really wrong so we will have to see about that."

They then pull me into some back room and make me empty my pockets and open up all my bags. At first they are being very rude and telling me to shut up and are making a huge mess of all my stuff. They start asking questions and ask me why I was in Amsterdam if I go to school in Montreal and I explain the whole poker thing. Gradually their questions move from investigative to curiosity, and they are barely looking at my bags anymore. At one point these guys are asking me how much money I make and how much I have ever won in one tournament, and then the one thing that actually looks suspicious in my bag gets uncovered. It was a big white bag which at first glance looked like it could have had a brick of coke in it. It was sealed shut by a bunch of tape and on the inside there was a bunch of white clay looking things (some plates and **** I got in Italy as souvenirs). The guy stops the conversation and looks at it and says "whats dis?" I say "just some plates and things I got in Italy." He doesn't even take a second glance and throws it back in and stops searching my stuff about halfway through all my luggage. He then tells me to pack up my stuff and I'm free to go. He says good luck in poker.

<3 canada.
You do realize that Canada Customs is run by Canada Customs and taxation Revenue Canada (our version of the IRS for you americans) and Canada Customs=Revenue Canada.

You may love Canada just make sure you fill out an accurate and detailed tax return this year or future years. I can promise you that the guy wasn't interested in how much money you were making because he thought it was cool that you were a poker player.

Last edited by coltranedog; 01-30-2009 at 05:00 AM.
coltranedog is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #181
bones
Winner of 'The Toughest SNG of All Time'
 
bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the streets
Posts: 10,368
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

I had no idea Canadians were so smurf-like in their nomenclature.
bones is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #182
kk405
Pooh-Bah
 
kk405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TriBeca, NYC
Posts: 5,435
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum2007 View Post
It's THROUGH. Threw is a verb, like, I threw the ball like a *****. If it had happened once, ok. But you obviously need help with this.
you teach english to ESL students, Possum?...how much do you charge? 1 DOLLA?
kk405 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #183
kk405
Pooh-Bah
 
kk405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TriBeca, NYC
Posts: 5,435
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError View Post
Another interesting thing to remember is that any time you are traveling internationally, the US governement has the right to seize your laptop when you re-enter the country, and you have to give them all your passwords and information how to de-encrypt any files you have. They then either confiscate all your electronics or make a copy of your hard drive.

A lot of law firms or companies that do a lot of intellectual property work have stopped allowing their employees to fly into the united states with their actual laptops, and instead use blank workstations and VPN to their data.

I'm sort of surprised this hasn't happened to someone yet.
This is very true and very scary indeed...and it goes beyond laptops...they have the right, and have been excercising it very liberally recently, to examine any and all of your electronic devices, including your PDA, blackberry, iPhone, cell phone, and digital camera... they typically take a COMPLETE copy of your electronic device, if and when they become suspicious.... remember, if you do carry a large sum and they stop you, there is a chance they may think you are a mule of some sort (terrorism, drug trafficking, money laundering, etc.) and as such there is a good chance you would be subkect to such treatement....

and if they do take a complete copy of your laptop, which they typically do these days, that means they have access to all your passowrds (if you have them stored on your PC), browsing history, cookies, files, tax returns, and PORN (lol) and whatever else you decide to store on your laptop.... just another word of caution in these 'dangerous' times...
kk405 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #184
Amicaa
grinder
 
Amicaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: haeagendaaz
Posts: 406
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
god bless america
hhe
Amicaa is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #185
Jurrr
Pooh-Bah
 
Jurrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,735
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

What's the penalty if you forget your hard drive encryption password? Being declared an "enemy combatant" and never heard from again?
Jurrr is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #186
kk405
Pooh-Bah
 
kk405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TriBeca, NYC
Posts: 5,435
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrr View Post
What's the penalty if you forget your hard drive encryption password? Being declared an "enemy combatant" and never heard from again?
no penalty, really...they will just confiscate your laptop...and declare IT enemy combatant and you will never hear of it again

P.S. and their compuetr geeks will break your password, but that will be done in teh same lab that they will subject your laptop to water torture as well
kk405 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #187
Watchmaker
banned
 
Watchmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,856
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Didn't read entire thread, sorry if it's already been addressed.

Re: Viffers situation.
Does anyone know the law or statute that empowers them to do this?
Watchmaker is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #188
widowmakerrr
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 460
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
Didn't read entire thread, sorry if it's already been addressed.

Re: Viffers situation.
Does anyone know the law or statute that empowers them to do this?
http://www.fear.org/forfeit.htm this could be something like that, its a list of court rulings on such cases so this should be the case precedence for this.
widowmakerrr is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #189
mejakenow
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 47
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Havent read the thread since yesterday, so this may have been mentioned, but my friend at work just told me he heard about this on the news. We live in Cincinnati, OH if that means anything
mejakenow is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #190
theBruiser500
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10,921
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delecto View Post
This is such a terrible argument and the exact opposite philosophy that this country was based on. If you recall it was the loyalists who shyed away from any conflict and told all of the patriots this: "it's all going to be OK guys, just let the British crown take our taxes, as long as we are left alone and aren't bound into serfdom like the peasants in Russia."

Now in 2008 there is an armada of american drones like you who just crouch away everytime the government takes away our civil liberties. FEMA, the patriot act, Homeland Security, the DEA, these are institutions established by the ruling order designed to take away our freedoms and control society. The founding fathers are rolling in their graves right now, this is not the nation they envisioned...
i agree with your argument. I am more critical of US policy's than most people. However I also think it is downright foolish to lose perspective. The life we live is very good and saying "america sucks" is lacking in perspective.
theBruiser500 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #191
theBruiser500
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10,921
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatking View Post
who are you the joke police?
when a long time poster and high stakes NL poster uses one of the oldest and most n00bie jokes...yes, i will ask about it. and if that means i am a part of the Joke Police, than so be it.

Last edited by theBruiser500; 01-30-2009 at 04:50 PM.
theBruiser500 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #192
Ansky
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: .
Posts: 17,523
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltranedog View Post
You do realize that Canada Customs is run by Canada Customs and taxation Revenue Canada (our version of the IRS for you americans) and Canada Customs=Revenue Canada.

You may love Canada just make sure you fill out an accurate and detailed tax return this year or future years. I can promise you that the guy wasn't interested in how much money you were making because he thought it was cool that you were a poker player.
its ok im not canadian.
Ansky is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #193
CitizenJames
veteran
 
CitizenJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ubiquity
Posts: 2,410
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBruiser500 View Post
when i long time poster and high stakes NL poster uses one of the oldest and most n00bie jokes...yes, i will ask about it. and if that means i am a part of the Joke Police, than so be it.
Yes, it does mean that.
CitizenJames is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #194
theBruiser500
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10,921
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viffer View Post
i got pretty unlucky but i do fit the profile and so what ever im sure ill get my stuff eventually.
i want to say for the sake of clarity that i am extremely opposed to many government policies and i hate almost all politicians. HOWEVER, the fact that viffer will get his stuff back does make this country impressive and good (this is relative of course, it doesn't make sense to compare us to utopia). also, this doesn't mean we shouldn't fight to make it better. the fact that many of you chose to assume i was saying things i wasn't... about these obvious topics... is disappointing.
theBruiser500 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #195
JMa
veteran
 
JMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: I could've been a kosher butcher
Posts: 3,329
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBruiser500 View Post
i want to say for the sake of clarity that i am extremely opposed to many government policies and i hate almost all politicians. HOWEVER, the fact that viffer will get his stuff back does make this country impressive and good (this is relative of course, it doesn't make sense to compare us to utopia). also, this doesn't mean we shouldn't fight to make it better. the fact that many of you chose to assume i was saying things i wasn't... about these obvious topics... is disappointing.
see the thing thats impressive about most impressive countries is the fact that they dont take his **** in the first place
JMa is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #196
bentonja
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,523
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

US Constitution no longer in effect

"War on Drugs" allows the cops to do this to people, meanwhile the opium crop in Afghanistan has increased in size every year since the US has occupied the country.

This tyrannical action taken by the Federal Government is a direct infringement on Viffer's civil rights and his right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
bentonja is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #197
coinflipper
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: acapulco/queretaro
Posts: 1,789
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

viva mexico!!!
coinflipper is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #198
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,415
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
For the people who think these were not DEA agents and viffer just got old-fashioned robbed, this is incredibly unlikely.
He got old-fashioned robbed alright, it's just that he got old-fashioned robbed by DEA guys. Unless he got their names, they're blowing his cash on hookers and blow and his watch is already in a pawn shop.

If he did get names, hire a hit man instead of a lawyer, imo. It's cheaper.
pig4bill is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #199
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,415
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaniac View Post
Can someone point to the law that is referred to in the above quotes? The DEA can confiscate belongings based on a vague suspicion/"profile"? And with no receipt?!

viffer, how bad was the drug charge from 8 years ago?

Lot of good info, good stories, and scary **** in this thread.
Probably no statute involved, just the natural law that someone with a gun can take whatever they want from you unless someone else says they can't.
pig4bill is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #200
Delecto
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Re: warning to high stakes travelers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBruiser500 View Post
i agree with your argument. I am more critical of US policy's than most people. However I also think it is downright foolish to lose perspective. The life we live is very good and saying "america sucks" is lacking in perspective.
No one here is saying "america sucks." People in this thread are simply expressing their concerns regarding the way this country has strayed from the ideals that it had been founded on: the freedom to go about with your private life without unjust intervention by the government.

The term patriotism has been altered and distorted by today's mass media. People think that patriotism is waving an american flag on the back of their pickup while blindly following what the politicians in DC say to the them. No, patriotism is fighting against the corruption of power "foreign and domestic." Its what the the militiamen and patriots did in the 1776. The loyalists who sat around telling everyone that British rule wasn't so bad are today's blind american patriots who attack anyone that questions the abusive powers of our government.

Last edited by Delecto; 01-30-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Delecto is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online