Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

That's What She Said! A place to discuss female specific issues related to poker and other subjects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
katie75013
Grindette
 
katie75013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rosarito/Vegas/NJ
Posts: 2,032
Thumbs up WPT hosting 1st-ever Women’s Summit, 8/26/18

This is really encouraging and I’m excited to attend at the end of next month. Ange and Matt are really smart to be doing this and it’s a great opportunity for women of all levels and experience to discuss the needs of the female poker community.

Link to Matt Savage’s blog about this and women in poker: https://www.worldpokertour.com/news/savage-blog-071918/

Details of Summit:
August 26, 2018 @ 2pm at the Bicycle Casino in Bell Gardens, CA.
katie75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
katie75013
Grindette
 
katie75013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rosarito/Vegas/NJ
Posts: 2,032
Re: WPT hosting 1st-ever Women’s Summit, 8/26/18

If you can’t make it to the summit, please feel free to post any comments or suggestions here!
katie75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
kerr
veteran
 
kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,632
Re: WPT hosting 1st-ever Women’s Summit, 8/26/18

I like Matt's article. I'd love for there to be more than 1 WSOP Ladies event. How is a Ladies bracelet any different to a Big One for One Drop bracelet? 30 men can play for a bracelet but 1000 women can't? Please.

At least have a Ladies PLO and Ladies Stud events at the WSOP. We want everyone to be familiar with mix games, let's move on from the World Series on No Limit Holdem.

Women still don't represent 5% of the Main Event, which is not surprising, you can't expect an eternity of patriarchy and gender oppression to be overcome in a few short decades.

Perhaps the number one thing men can do to attract women to poker is to be welcoming to those that do play and to call out boorish and misogynist behavior, not because you're a white knight but simply because you are a good person. If someone abuses a male player, a female player or a dealer, speak up.

Last edited by kerr; 07-29-2018 at 06:18 AM.
kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:21 AM   #4
PrsHarlequin
grinder
 
PrsHarlequin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: imgur.com/RreqyxQ.jpg
Posts: 578
Re: WPT hosting 1st-ever Women’s Summit, 8/26/18

^ I agree there should like totally be #equal number of Ladies events and other bracelet events.


Just as i will be paying/ same money to watch ladies' and men's sports performances.

Just as in my company i will be non-oppressively paying the same someone who is physically weaker, legally unaccountable on few days of the month (if not more), and can say ''I'm out for a year+ again, and when i return i will also perform/ focus less and expect slacks compared to my substitute who you now should find and then fire.''

I will remember it each time i walk pass ''Merchant lady needed'' on a store. Just as i remember seeking work dead broke and in debts before poker. And the woman inside answering mine ''Must it be a girl'' with ''Well i'd hire, you, but my husband would fire us both''.

Kerr, i will give my all to remember your post and how it made me feel on any of those and many other tests of life, ty so much Sir.
PrsHarlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,512
Re: WPT hosting 1st-ever Women’s Summit, 8/26/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerr View Post
At least have a Ladies PLO and Ladies Stud events at the WSOP. We want everyone to be familiar with mix games, let's move on from the World Series on No Limit Holdem.
Entries in the stud and other non-standard games are low enough as it is. I don't know that we need something that will have an embarrassingly-low turnout. And, admittedly, for some reason, I tend not to see the same levels of misogyny at the stud and stud-8 tables (or 8-game mix).

PLO is something that would likely be years away...it has a level of variance that keeps a lot of people away in the first place. An O8 women's event might generate some interest but even there, it would be low. Entry fee would have to be low because I don't see it even generating 500 entries if the entry was $1K simply because so many people live where the games are not spread live...

Quote:
Perhaps the number one thing men can do to attract women to poker is to be welcoming to those that do play and to call out boorish and misogynist behavior, not because you're a white knight but simply because you are a good person. If someone abuses a male player, a female player or a dealer, speak up.
There are some who I have seen speak up, so the numbers who will at least seem to be increasing. Having an increase in female dealers seems to also had an impact on tamping down some of the crap spewed at tables...but there is still far from a welcoming environment for women in many parts of the poker world.

Maybe Katie can get Savage to back off of the BBA nonsense...was set to play the main at Choctaw until the WPT insisted on it being used. The TD was NOT planning on it being in the structure...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
katie75013
Grindette
 
katie75013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rosarito/Vegas/NJ
Posts: 2,032
Re: WPT hosting 1st-ever Women’s Summit, 8/26/18

Information posted from WPT about the upcoming summit:
https://www.worldpokertour.com/news/...-poker-summit/
katie75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
kerr
veteran
 
kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,632
Re: WPT hosting 1st-ever Women’s Summit, 8/26/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrsHarlequin View Post
Kerr, i will give my all to remember your post and how it made me feel on any of those and many other tests of life, ty so much Sir.
ha ha, that is very kind of you to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
Entries in the stud and other non-standard games are low enough as it is. I don't know that we need something that will have an embarrassingly-low turnout. And, admittedly, for some reason, I tend not to see the same levels of misogyny at the stud and stud-8 tables (or 8-game mix).
You do realise the Ladies event used to be Seven Card Stud?

1977-1999 - 7C Stud
2000-2003 - Limit Holdem / 7C Stud
2004 - Limit Holdem
2005-2018 - No Limit Holdem

Embarrassingly low? You're worried about 500 entries LOL. 33 events this year did not get 500 players, 12 events had less than 150, including the Big One for One Drop (27), the 10k 7C Stud (83), the 50k PPC (87), 10k NL 2-7 (95), the 100k HR (105), etc.

Most douchebags play NLH, even more reason to get women playing mix games. Surely we want to get everyone familiar with 8-game mix. The more people that play Stud, the more that can take that experience to many other games and variants.
kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,512
Re: WPT hosting 1st-ever Women’s Summit, 8/26/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerr View Post
You do realise the Ladies event used to be Seven Card Stud?

1977-1999 - 7C Stud
2000-2003 - Limit Holdem / 7C Stud
2004 - Limit Holdem
2005-2018 - No Limit Holdem

Embarrassingly low? You're worried about 500 entries LOL. 33 events this year did not get 500 players, 12 events had less than 150, including the Big One for One Drop (27), the 10k 7C Stud (83), the 50k PPC (87), 10k NL 2-7 (95), the 100k HR (105), etc.

Most douchebags play NLH, even more reason to get women playing mix games. Surely we want to get everyone familiar with 8-game mix. The more people that play Stud, the more that can take that experience to many other games and variants.
I'm not disagreeing with the premise that more people playing mixed games would be a good thing.

HOWEVER...if the open version is not drawing a large number, then dilution is not going to be good for ANYONE. Trying to compare five- and six-figure buy-in turnouts with ANY component of a discussion about a women's event is a fool's errand. Apples and oranges to say the least.

Further, before we can reasonably expect WSOP to run more events specifically for us, we would do well to see the Circuit events put something on the schedule that isn't an effing no-limit fest. There were Circuit events I would go out of my way to travel to specifically BECAUSE they had things like HORSE and O/8 on the calendar. I'm drawing a blank on the last Circuit event schedules I saw with a Stud or Razz event.

Not to mention that, at least for me, more NON no-limit events would be a good thing since too many TD's are blindly embracing that insipid BBA concept.
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online