Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

That's What She Said! A place to discuss female specific issues related to poker and other subjects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #1151
ganstaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ganstaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central nj
Posts: 9,601
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
Not sure if it is the reason for others, but too many people I have known that claimed the 'bi' label tended not to be able to commit.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but my interpretation of this sentence is: "In my experience, people aren't actually bi, but those who claim to be so are still exploring their sexuality and therefore won't settle down yet." I base this interpretation on you saying that the label is claimed (indicating you don't believe it) and you putting bi in quotes (again indicating disbelief in it).

It's certainly true that some people call themselves bisexual as sort of a temporary stepping stone. However, it's also certainly true that some people truly are bisexual (and this doesn't mean precisely equal attraction to males and females, but instead enough attraction to both that heterosexual and homosexual feel inappropriately applied to them). There's nothing about being bisexual that makes them unable to commit or be content with the person they're with, regardless of that person's gender.

For the record, I'm gay, not even a little bi. My boyfriend, on the other hand, has naked women on his tumblr and has been with girls before. We've been together for 13 months, and he's already been talking about our future wedding and kids -- if anything, he seems more committed to this than I am.
ganstaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #1152
Protential
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Protential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vegas
Posts: 12,421
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
sorry but I don't believe in the 'every kid gets a trophy' sort of PC nonsense...people are allowed to have their preferences. And just as I have absolutely ZERO desire to sleep or date men, I also have a preference not to sleep or date with people who have slept with men.

For anyone to even suggest otherwise is to erase lesbians from the landscape. It's bad enough watching the social justice warriors trying to erase female from the landscape and destroy space that was womyn-only (see the recent debacle surrounding MichFest or ANY attempt by women to gather outside of the presence of persons born male).
This is incredibly ignorant. People's sexuality do not define the kind of person that they are, if you believe that then you are no better than the people who think gays shouldn't get married.
Protential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #1153
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,512
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protential View Post
This is incredibly ignorant. People's sexuality do not define the kind of person that they are, if you believe that then you are no better than the people who think gays shouldn't get married.
I didn't say it DID define them...the question was posed and I offered an observation of what I have seen in 30+ years of being an out lesbian (you know, longer than some of the SJW's have even been alive). And the fact that I am not inclined to sleep with, date or view as partners someone who id's as bi is a personal choice just as ANY person is entitled to their preferences in prospective partners. Anyone that claims otherwise is acquiescing to rape culture mentalities...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #1154
wazz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: drinking in a saloon
Posts: 12,989
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

I consider it massively distasteful for you to invoke rape culture but also hilarious that you did it in such a bizarre, irrelevant way that doesn't aid your incoherent argument at all
wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #1155
Ranma4703
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,603
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
sorry but I don't believe in the 'every kid gets a trophy' sort of PC nonsense...people are allowed to have their preferences. And just as I have absolutely ZERO desire to sleep or date men, I also have a preference not to sleep or date with people who have slept with men.

For anyone to even suggest otherwise is to erase lesbians from the landscape. It's bad enough watching the social justice warriors trying to erase female from the landscape and destroy space that was womyn-only (see the recent debacle surrounding MichFest or ANY attempt by women to gather outside of the presence of persons born male).
Ah so you are a TERF. It is disappointing when people who are discriminated against turn around and start discriminating against those who have less power than them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
I didn't say it DID define them...the question was posed and I offered an observation of what I have seen in 30+ years of being an out lesbian (you know, longer than some of the SJW's have even been alive). And the fact that I am not inclined to sleep with, date or view as partners someone who id's as bi is a personal choice just as ANY person is entitled to their preferences in prospective partners. Anyone that claims otherwise is acquiescing to rape culture mentalities...
Yes it is a personal choice. A bigoted personal choice. You are a bigot; you are bigoted against bisexual and transgender people.
Ranma4703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #1156
wazz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: drinking in a saloon
Posts: 12,989
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Just to anticipate your potential response and to clarify my own:

You are indeed allowed to have a sexual preference for whoever you want, and no-one has the right to tell you not to, but to predetermine your sexual choices for political reasons is not ok and as I alluded to earlier is akin to me deciding not to sleep with or date non-white girls.
wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #1157
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,512
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma4703 View Post
Ah so you are a TERF. It is disappointing when people who are discriminated against turn around and start discriminating against those who have less power than them.
How ironic that you rail on about discrimination in the very same breath that you elected to introduce a slur (TERF) into the discussion. The ones using TERF to slur others are those that cannot seem to handle members of class female actually having opinions and being able to use critical thinking abilities...


Quote:
Yes it is a personal choice. A bigoted personal choice. You are a bigot; you are bigoted against bisexual and transgender people.
Really, you want to bring cotton ceiling thinking to the table now?

I miss the days where I could come to a poker forum and have it be a break from that bull****. Sadly it seems even that area has now been invaded by the SJW's wanting to label people...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #1158
Ranma4703
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,603
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
How ironic that you rail on about discrimination in the very same breath that you elected to introduce a slur (TERF) into the discussion. The ones using TERF to slur others are those that cannot seem to handle members of class female actually having opinions and being able to use critical thinking abilities...
Fine. I should have just said you are a trans exclusionist feminist, and dropped the radical part. Mind attacking what I actually said, instead of some straw man you're constructing? I am a feminist, I believe in equality for ALL women, cis and trans.


Quote:
Really, you want to bring cotton ceiling thinking to the table now?.
I had to google cotton ceiling. Honestly, not sure how I feel about it - there are real, physical differences between having sex with a cis person and a trans person, and if your reasons for not wanting to sleep with a trans person are entirely related to those reasons, then I don't think I have a problem. However, if you wouldn't apply those same standards to a cis person, such as refusing to date a woman with breast implants and a medically damaged vagina, then I would say you are making your decisions based on your own negative beliefs about trans woman.

This however does not apply to bisexual people. A bisexual woman in a monogamous relationship with another woman is externally indistinguishable from a lesbian woman in the same relationship. Your entire issue with dating them stems from who they were born as, something completely outside of their control. Hell, if we believe Kinsey, you have probably slept with bisexual woman already, who have chosen to 'pick a side' purely because of regressive, harmful attitudes such as yours.

Or does it purely stem from them self identifying as bisexual? Would you be fine sleeping with a bisexual woman who tells you she is a lesbian?

Quote:
I miss the days where I could come to a poker forum and have it be a break from that bull****. Sadly it seems even that area has now been invaded by the SJW's wanting to label people...
If you want to have a break from this bull****, you can go anywhere else on 2p2. This is specifically the GLBTQ thread, and we are supportive of our trans allies, without whom Stonewall and the modern queer rights movement may never have happened.
No, I'm just saying you are bigoted against trans and bisexual people - do you deny this? As much as I hate the whole quote a dictionary thing...
Quote:
a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
You admit that you are intolerant of trans women; you don't want them in women only spaces. Do you not think that trans women face the same misogyny that cis women face?



Finally, I was going to denounce the SJW tag (ironic that you use that right after getting upset at me for using TERF) since I don't have a tumblr, I've never identified that way, and it always gets used in a negative context. But you know what? I am a social justice warrior. I fight for social justice. If someone says something racist, misogynistic, homophobic, or transphobic around me, I say something. I want the spaces around me to be safe spaces for everyone, and I want everyone to be able to realize their potential free from the biases of the majority. You throw that term at me as an insult, but I'll put it on and wear it proudly, because isn't social justice what we all should be fighting for?
Ranma4703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #1159
JLuv81
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sleepy South Florida beach town
Posts: 193
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
I also have a preference not to sleep or date with people who have slept with men.

For anyone to even suggest otherwise is to erase lesbians from the landscape.
Could you please elaborate this for me? Im understanding your comment as, if lesbians sleep with bi girls it threatens lesbianism?
JLuv81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #1160
Protential
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Protential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vegas
Posts: 12,421
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Let me know if you want to be added to a group chat on skype of glbtq players. 7 of us so far, chat was just made.
Protential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #1161
SGT RJ
Twitching
 
SGT RJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: @oldladygamer444
Posts: 46,367
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

FWIW I have no problem with bi guys.

I actually think it's pretty hot.

But I have heard of this particular problem with bi guys in particular, which is really rooted in nothing more than stereotypes about what it means to be bisexual.
SGT RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #1162
wazz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: drinking in a saloon
Posts: 12,989
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Right. If i'm in a relationship and i'm gonna cheat, i'm gonna cheat. If i'm in a relationship and not gonna cheat, i'm not gonna cheat. Bisexuality is little different from having a preference for different types of people. I'm sure there are many bisexuals out there who are attracted to a small absolute number of people compared to some highly sexualised straight people.

I'm sure that this stereotype only exists because it's more painful to grt cheated on with someone of the opposite sex.
wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #1163
_Keri
stranger
 
_Keri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Hi everyone,

Very interesting thread here. I don't know where it came from but the other day I sat and I wondered about openly gay men in poker and I realised I don't know of even one. I am not massive on my poker celebs or any celebs for that matter but it struck me that there must be so many gay men who for one reason or another do not feel they can be open about it. I would imagine it is because of the same reason that there are not so many women who play... Poker unfortunately is a very 'lad' dominated world.

Hopefully this is something that will fizzle out as it is in general in some parts of the world, I think times are moving on fast in that respect. I was talking to my little sister in law the other day and she was telling me how she set up two of her male friends and they are now dating. Just hearing about how these boys are openly gay in school, that just didn't happen even when I was at school ( About 12 years ago ) It is great to see how things are progressing and I hope that will go for poker too.

For me anyone should be or look, absolutely however they want as long as they are not hurting anyone else. If someone wants to dress or be a certain way or love someone, who is anyone to judge?
_Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #1164
Ranma4703
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,603
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Keri View Post
Hi everyone,

Very interesting thread here. I don't know where it came from but the other day I sat and I wondered about openly gay men in poker and I realised I don't know of even one. I am not massive on my poker celebs or any celebs for that matter but it struck me that there must be so many gay men who for one reason or another do not feel they can be open about it. I would imagine it is because of the same reason that there are not so many women who play... Poker unfortunately is a very 'lad' dominated world.

Hopefully this is something that will fizzle out as it is in general in some parts of the world, I think times are moving on fast in that respect. I was talking to my little sister in law the other day and she was telling me how she set up two of her male friends and they are now dating. Just hearing about how these boys are openly gay in school, that just didn't happen even when I was at school ( About 12 years ago ) It is great to see how things are progressing and I hope that will go for poker too.

For me anyone should be or look, absolutely however they want as long as they are not hurting anyone else. If someone wants to dress or be a certain way or love someone, who is anyone to judge?
Jason Somerville is openly gay and crushes
Ranma4703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #1165
_Keri
stranger
 
_Keri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma4703 View Post
Jason Somerville is openly gay and crushes
Haha, I'm sure there are a few. As I said, I am not massive on celeb poker players
_Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #1166
Protential
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Protential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vegas
Posts: 12,421
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

There are a handful of us who play professionally, not many tho. (I know of like 8, including myself)
Protential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #1167
bhoylegend
self-banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Self-Perma banned.
Posts: 1,278
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protential View Post
Let me know if you want to be added to a group chat on skype of glbtq players. 7 of us so far, chat was just made.
I'd be interested in joining this chat if possible!
bhoylegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #1168
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 16,727
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

apparently the first gay marriage in kansas happened today.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...le2650802.html

this has exciting implications. I would like to briefly mention that Sam Brownback and the republican leadership in kansas have gone so far to the right that Paul Davis and Jill Docking could win the governership and its going to be an incredibly close election.

I have posted some stuff about sam brownbacks insane leadership in a spoiler because its basically all politics.

Spoiler:


I am only bringing this up because I think that if Sam Brownback gets kicked out of office and polling numbers continue to improve for gay marriage I think after centuries of murder and anti-gay cults Kansas could actually become a place where gay couples in johnson county and lawrence and whichita could actually live happy lives
spaceman Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #1169
ganstaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ganstaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central nj
Posts: 9,601
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

I was with my boyfriend tonight at Pier 1. He asked me what something was and I said, "A cheese board, or plate of some kind?" Some older guy walking by then said, "It's a cheese board. What kind of gay boy are you?"

I was very taken aback. I wasn't like offended in anyway, but how did he know? He had to be sure to say that, it couldn't have been a guess. I guess he was gay himself, but still. No one in my life ever know that I'm gay. My gay neighbor says that shopping at Pier 1 with another guy was the giveaway - maybe he's right?

For the record, I said, "Not a very good one I guess." He responded, "I see you still have your training wheels on."
ganstaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 AM   #1170
wazz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: drinking in a saloon
Posts: 12,989
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Despite me being pretty straight-acting, a couple of people have really surprised me by asking if I'm bisexual very early on in the conversation. Always leaves me a little stunned that some people are both that perceptive and have the guts to ask me straight out (forgive the pun)
wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #1171
Protential
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Protential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vegas
Posts: 12,421
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganstaman View Post
I was with my boyfriend tonight at Pier 1. He asked me what something was and I said, "A cheese board, or plate of some kind?" Some older guy walking by then said, "It's a cheese board. What kind of gay boy are you?"

I was very taken aback. I wasn't like offended in anyway, but how did he know? He had to be sure to say that, it couldn't have been a guess. I guess he was gay himself, but still. No one in my life ever know that I'm gay. My gay neighbor says that shopping at Pier 1 with another guy was the giveaway - maybe he's right?

For the record, I said, "Not a very good one I guess." He responded, "I see you still have your training wheels on."
lol.

Pier1 + Boyfriend with you = give away. :P

I hope everyone has a fabulous Thanksgiving!
Protential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #1172
isplashcranberrys
old hand
 
isplashcranberrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,361
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Had a conversation about homosexuality with a very conservative religious person at the university. He asked me why (Z)oophilia isn't included in the GLBTQ(Z). I thought it was a ****ed up thing to say but then he was like "to each his own. I was a little stunned...appropriate response?
isplashcranberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #1173
Protential
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Protential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vegas
Posts: 12,421
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by isplashcranberrys View Post
Had a conversation about homosexuality with a very conservative religious person at the university. He asked me why (Z)oophilia isn't included in the GLBTQ(Z). I thought it was a ****ed up thing to say but then he was like "to each his own. I was a little stunned...appropriate response?
As a rule of thumb I ignore completely anything crazy conservative religious people say.
Protential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #1174
SuqAta8
.
 
SuqAta8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC
Posts: 21,244
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by isplashcranberrys View Post
Had a conversation about homosexuality with a very conservative religious person at the university. He asked me why (Z)oophilia isn't included in the GLBTQ(Z). I thought it was a ****ed up thing to say but then he was like "to each his own. I was a little stunned...appropriate response?
Tell him its an offensive analogy.

I also tend to avoid engaging conservative religious folk in most forms of conversation
SuqAta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #1175
SGT RJ
Twitching
 
SGT RJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: @oldladygamer444
Posts: 46,367
Re: **Rainbow Flops: The GLBTQ Discussion Thread**

I haven't been around 2p2 much the past few months, but stopped by here to comment on the Leelah Alcorn situation.

While obviously not poker related at all, the suicide note of a young transgendered woman has made headlines this past week.

It's sad when directly confronted with the fact that so many people are still so unwilling to accept others, even their own children. It has gotten better, in recent years, for gender and sexual minorities, but things are far from perfect, and this young woman was another in a score of casualties as we, as a society, claw our way towards full human rights for everyone, regardless of their gender, sexuality, race, religion, disability, or other factors that might make someone "different" or frightening to certain people.

RIP, Leelah. I hope your death will accomplish something in the end.
SGT RJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online