Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Home Game Listings Listings for LEGAL home games (hosts only) and those seeking them

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #1376
Makonnen
old hand
 
Makonnen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,323
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Link no good for me. I don't think this was the same dude. This was an overweight white guy with a nearly shaved head and a winestain skin condition on his neck. If it was the same guy, he did an incredible job behaving like more of a noob.

Just the coincidence of another Trent D.
Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #1377
clivestraddle
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 467
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

he is NOT white - he is NOT overweight - i think he has a shaved head...well.that takes care of it on the first condition
clivestraddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #1378
txbadass63
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHS View Post
Are there any clubs still open in Dallas/Plano/Fort Worth?
No, they all got shutdown a year or 2 ago, and none have opened up since. The underground games still exist, but none out in the open.

Its been a while since these were shutdown and the SA/Houston/Austin games have not, so one has to believe it was driven by the Indian Casinos in OK that somehow applied pressure, as a majority of their customers are from the DFW area.
txbadass63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #1379
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,917
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbadass63 View Post
No, they all got shutdown a year or 2 ago, and none have opened up since. The underground games still exist, but none out in the open.

Its been a while since these were shutdown and the SA/Houston/Austin games have not, so one has to believe it was driven by the Indian Casinos in OK that somehow applied pressure, as a majority of their customers are from the DFW area.
From what was described earlier in this thread, there was NO court action taken to close them. The various owners elected to close on their own rather than spend the money to defend their position (and investment). Absent State action, it is disingenuous to assert they "got shutdown" and even more so, to attribute it to casinos in OK having 'applied pressure.'
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:34 AM   #1380
Lynxni
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 19
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Just to add to the fun... Freerolls tonight ran out of $1 bills in the cage, so they were cashing people out with time credit. That was certainly a first.
Lynxni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #1381
zizek
veteran
 
zizek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,111
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
even more so, to attribute it to casinos in OK having 'applied pressure.'
That's almost certainly what happened though.
zizek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #1382
TexasLexus
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plano Texas
Posts: 298
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizek View Post
That's almost certainly what happened though.
So WinStar and Choctaw applied pressure to the Collin county and Dallas county district attorneys and the Dallas, Plano and McKinney police departments and forced them to write letters to the poker rooms saying they were breaking the law? Yeeeaaahh thatís what happened.
TexasLexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #1383
Da_Nit
veteran
 
Da_Nit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Houston via Ruff Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,492
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLexus View Post
So WinStar and Choctaw applied pressure to the Collin county and Dallas county district attorneys and the Dallas, Plano and McKinney police departments and forced them to write letters to the poker rooms saying they were breaking the law? Yeeeaaahh thatís what happened.


Certainly seems possible that local politicians that get money from these casinos applied pressure to the DAs and local police to do exactly that. Not saying thatís in fact what happened but doesnít seem impossible.
Da_Nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #1384
pokermon!
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 68
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Anyone play the 250k tournament set up by a few clubs around TX?

thoughts? there was a post on the Post Oak fb page that said one city added an additional flight to either reduce the overlay or make it so that there wasn't an overlay.
pokermon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #1385
Ganymede
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokermon! View Post
Anyone play the 250k tournament set up by a few clubs around TX?

thoughts? there was a post on the Post Oak fb page that said one city added an additional flight to either reduce the overlay or make it so that there wasn't an overlay.
That was in the tournament last year. They added a flight and they did the overlay even thought the additional flight made the exceed the guarantee.
Ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #1386
Texasholdemmike
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 93
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Anyone played at the new River Poker Club up in spring off Cypresswood? Not sure they have been able to get many games going.
Texasholdemmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #1387
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 9,302
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLexus View Post
So WinStar and Choctaw applied pressure to the Collin county and Dallas county district attorneys and the Dallas, Plano and McKinney police departments and forced them to write letters to the poker rooms saying they were breaking the law? Yeeeaaahh thatís what happened.
No, it just so happens that entrepreneurs have decided to open up poker rooms all over the state of Texas except for 4 of the 10 most populated counties in the state that all happen to be in close proximity to Winstar. I guess they realize that the players will choose to drive 2 hrs round trip to the magnificence that is Winstar World Casino rather than playing in games 5 minutes from home.
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #1388
clivestraddle
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 467
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasholdemmike View Post
Anyone played at the new River Poker Club up in spring off Cypresswood? Not sure they have been able to get many games going.
i don't see them post much and they ran some ads on poker atlas but i never saw them have their games displayed on there
clivestraddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #1389
clivestraddle
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 467
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Rumor that Post Oak lease is up and ending this month??????????
clivestraddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #1390
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,917
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivestraddle View Post
Rumor that Post Oak lease is up and ending this month??????????
Discussion was had a year ago about lease situation...as I recall, they were discussing other options at the time, with one of the issues being related to a developer that had plans for the center where POPC was situated.

Has traffic in the general area gotten any better or is construction still screwing things up? I've not been back since they made that boneheaded decision to mandate valet parking.
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #1391
clivestraddle
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 467
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

A little birdie - of the investors/owners - two are going in one direction and two are going in another
clivestraddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #1392
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,917
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/...es-44-stories/

Development that WAS planned was indicated in an email to be "no longer viable." However, the comment in the thread from a few months ago would lend to the center being about to be razed. Recent comment says the rug store closed with POPC being the last tenant still in place.

HAIF is such a great source, especially with SwampLot stopping as of last week...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 AM   #1393
sdwhitt
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 158
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Wasn’t POPC supposed to be relocating soon anyway?
sdwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #1394
BulltexasATM
old hand
 
BulltexasATM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: HTown
Posts: 1,214
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Don't have any inside knowledge but a while back I was told their lease was extended through May 2019. The place is busier than it has been since Prime opened and took a lot of their business. They are running a free tourney every night(did this in Feb and now in March) and players are flocking there. They had 7 cash game tables going last night in addition to the tourney. Don't see them closing until the lease runs out.

Saw Daniel Keibert there last night unloading some supplies and they just hired a new chef and are offering an expanded menu. Feels like this is more Fake News from Clive. Don't see them closing this month until lease runs out. My guess is they will keep this place open until at least May 1st when the lease runs out and longer if they are able to extend. Finally making money again so why would they close early.
BulltexasATM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #1395
SingleVoyce
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 21
New club near NASA

I heard a rumor today that there was a new club opening close to the Burlington Coat factory at NASA 1 and I 45. Anybody know anything about this?
SingleVoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #1396
clivestraddle
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 467
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulltexasATM View Post
Don't have any inside knowledge but a while back I was told their lease was extended through May 2019. The place is busier than it has been since Prime opened and took a lot of their business. They are running a free tourney every night(did this in Feb and now in March) and players are flocking there. They had 7 cash game tables going last night in addition to the tourney. Don't see them closing until the lease runs out.

Saw Daniel Keibert there last night unloading some supplies and they just hired a new chef and are offering an expanded menu. Feels like this is more Fake News from Clive. Don't see them closing this month until lease runs out. My guess is they will keep this place open until at least May 1st when the lease runs out and longer if they are able to extend. Finally making money again so why would they close early.
Im only passing on info I received - remember I barely leave my home more than 10 times a year - this is from people calling me or messaging me.

I am not running a game and frankly I am to the point to be done with poker in the current style with mostly PLO games ending up with 1 player making a TON and 20 players going broke on a daily basis.

The era of getting together with friends and playing because we happened to all get a "kitchen pass" for the night are long behind us.

It makes no difference to me how many places are downtown for I won't travel more than 20 min to a game. My time is spent stock trading 13 hrs a day. I made in January more than I made in 2 yrs of running games leading me to concentrate on building up a trading platform to help others learn how to attain a comfortable income from investing.

I have no plans to EVER charge for my work - I only hope that others find sharing the information instructive.

Finally I totally agree that it would be shocking for them to closing at this point - their numbers are way up - seems there has been a ton of personnel changes - seems they are changing managers esp tournament directors constantly.

From what I have seen it is my impression that dealers are starting to become scarcer than ever as many are either burned out and are being replaced with less experienced people.

Time will tell how it all ends up - we are coming up on the busy time of the year for poker which declines as soon as summer arrives.

All of this is speculation and take anything I post as such but information given to me by at least 2 sources before I will post it.

Last edited by clivestraddle; 03-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.
clivestraddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #1397
michelle227
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,917
Re: New club near NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleVoyce View Post
I heard a rumor today that there was a new club opening close to the Burlington Coat factory at NASA 1 and I 45. Anybody know anything about this?
Yes. Can confirm.

Expect another couple of months. Permit issues is my understanding. Not at liberty to offer more at this time...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #1398
SingleVoyce
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 21
Re: New club near NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle227 View Post
Yes. Can confirm.

Expect another couple of months. Permit issues is my understanding. Not at liberty to offer more at this time...
Thanks.

I hope it happens and that it provides a better deal in this area than what Mint has become.
SingleVoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:12 AM   #1399
Texasholdemmike
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 93
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Anyone know about this place?

https://bellairesocialclub.com/
Texasholdemmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:26 AM   #1400
clivestraddle
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 467
Re: Membership-Based Poker in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasholdemmike View Post
Anyone know about this place?

https://bellairesocialclub.com/
closed about 2 weeks ago - was open about a month
clivestraddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online