Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Membership-Based Poker in Texas Membership-Based Poker in Texas

11-18-2021 , 04:45 PM
Was Legends actually started by the founders of 52 Social?
11-19-2021 , 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher Membership-Based Poker in Texas
Was Legends actually started by the founders of 52 Social?
That is my understanding
11-19-2021 , 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivestraddle Membership-Based Poker in Texas
That is my understanding
👍
11-19-2021 , 05:26 PM
That seems really f'ed up. There should have put a non-compete clause in the contract but regardless I couldn't see myself supporting such a predatory business. Guess they got what they deserved in Dallas.
11-25-2021 , 12:46 AM
Paramount is doing a Black Friday special. Get 24 hours of time for $100. You can only get it on Friday.
11-25-2021 , 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulltexasATM Membership-Based Poker in Texas
88 ran into a cash crunch when Legends opened and was offering the players a lot of incentives to play there. All the "big" players that had a lot of chips tried to cash them out and 88 didn't have the funds on hand. They then limited cash outs to $2,000 per day. This was several weeks ago now and players have been able to get their money out but once you lose that trust with cash outs you are toast. Doubt they will get any of the bigger games back.
If you don't have the cash on hand and need a few days for the bank to process it, that's one thing. But if you literally don't have the $$$ available at all, that's really ****ed up. Not sure which one it was though -- I hope the 2k limit was only for less than a week
11-25-2021 , 08:16 AM
Geez sounds like Full tilt poker situation. Using players balance for their own purposes. Yeah I wouldn’t want to have a lot of their chips. $2k cashout??? The hell? Sounds like they have some issues

What if you had a big day and was only visiting from out of town? They’ll mail it to you???!!
11-26-2021 , 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOchamp Membership-Based Poker in Texas
If you don't have the cash on hand and need a few days for the bank to process it, that's one thing. But if you literally don't have the $$$ available at all, that's really ****ed up. Not sure which one it was though -- I hope the 2k limit was only for less than a week
It was only for a week but they have lost the business of the higher limit players as once you lose that trust itís impossible to get it back
12-03-2021 , 06:05 AM
i’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Anyone keeping more than a trivial amount of cash in a box at these Texas poker rooms needs their head examined.

I would be surprised if Legends don’t end up taking over the old room again. Legends always had a weird “temporary” feel to it. Not finished anywhere near the same standard as 52 inside.

Last edited by DubLex; 12-03-2021 at 06:19 AM.
12-03-2021 , 03:36 PM
Some chatter on the ďA Better Houston Poker LiveĒ Facebook page today about 88ís doors being closed today - including screenshots of PokerAtlas cash waitlist being offline and jokes about being DOA.

Donít know whether this is actually trueÖ
12-05-2021 , 11:59 AM
https://dolcefino.com/2021/12/03/poker-face/

How stupid are some of these ****ing clubs?
12-06-2021 , 12:35 PM
This Thursday, 12/9, starting at about 5pm, I'm going to host another low limit Dealer's Choice game at Prime in Houston. Probably 4-8 or 6-12 limits, when it's your turn, you can choose any game they are allowed to deal, except you can't pick holdem. We will play an orbit of your game, then the next player chooses. Great chance to learn these games if they're new to you. And I guarantee you'll have fun. Call the club on Wed or Thu to add your name to the list, (832) 377-7770. Ask for Justin Hammer if the person answering the phone doesn't understand. Also, after the high roller finishes up, we will be moving to the livestream table.

Cheers, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
12-06-2021 , 08:20 PM
Sounds like fun. I call 2-11!

Wish I could be there.
12-07-2021 , 01:01 AM
Who is Johnny Chan's business partner?

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2021/...usow-40378.htm
12-07-2021 , 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDHarrison Membership-Based Poker in Texas
Who is Johnny Chan's business partner?

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2021/...usow-40378.htm
Link didn't work for me. This one works:

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2021/...usow-40378.htm
12-07-2021 , 09:01 AM
Matusow's Mouthpiece. Mike mentioned he discussed with Johnny Chan at length what happened with the 88 Social. Business partner stole a ton of money and ran. Now Matusow is considering buying into the club and moving to Texas. I think he should do it. It's sounds like a good business so if he can re-build the reputation and gain the community's trust, he should do well.

12-07-2021 , 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDHarrison Membership-Based Poker in Texas
Who is Johnny Chan's business partner?

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2021/...usow-40378.htm

The guy that put up the money was from California. Johnny was skimming so he pulled out and took his money. Don't believe this bs on the podcast. The reason it shut down is because Legends opened. All the big players moved there and when they tried to cash in their chips there was no money in the bank. Now Johnny is trying to find a sucker to buy the club. Hope Matusow finds some "friends" to fund it. Destined to fail LOL.
12-07-2021 , 12:20 PM
Entering a crowded market where you have to break the law just to stay competitive seems like an awful idea.
12-07-2021 , 12:21 PM
Skimming? Thought the room was "thriving"? Another place opens up and suddenly they are left for dead? Is poker that dead that only one room can be supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgis back Membership-Based Poker in Texas
The guy that put up the money was from California. Johnny was skimming so he pulled out and took his money. Don't believe this bs on the podcast. The reason it shut down is because Legends opened. All the big players moved there and when they tried to cash in their chips there was no money in the bank. Now Johnny is trying to find a sucker to buy the club. Hope Matusow finds some "friends" to fund it. Destined to fail LOL.
12-07-2021 , 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlee Membership-Based Poker in Texas
Is poker that dead that only one room can be supported?
That seems to be the case in Dallas. However, taking a quick look at the PokerAtlas map of Houston, I see 16 rooms.
12-07-2021 , 12:56 PM
Certainly seems like a mess .. if any of these clubs are tapping into the cash used to purchase chips they need to reconsider that method. Those funds are basically there 'in escrow' and should never be used to supplement daily operations. I don't want to call them 'gift cards' or 'coupons' but there should be a separate account and tracking of those funds separate from membership and food/drink funds.

While I disagree that they need to have 'cash on hand' like casinos are required to do to cover all 'possible' outstanding chips, they certainly need to have an 'excess' of cash on hand beyond what has been brought in that day. It obviously happens at casinos, but I'm not so sure I would be taking chips home on a regular basis from a card club. Same thing applies, if you get robbed of 'large' chips then they would still need to be turned in somehow to get the cash. Whereas taking cash to and from each session is a wider door.

Can one bad apple bring them all down? Perhaps. Lots of lives have changed due to these clubs now seemingly being 'safe' in Texas .. stay tuned. GL
12-07-2021 , 01:44 PM
There appear more rooms open in Houston than that market can sustain. Partially because of this, some rooms are now openly pulling rake from pots. There are more other shady activities that appear to be happening.

Houston/Harris county DA’s appear to have no interest in these rooms since the Houston DA fiasco a few years ago. This lack over site seems to be encouraging rooms to push the limits in efforts to survive. Ultimately I believe the state or feds will see the need to step in due to these bad apples. However, I am not sure they will only crush the bad apples. It is possible if the community doesn’t somehow self police, the whole market may get crushed by state or federal actions.
12-07-2021 , 02:30 PM
Two poker players have been followed and robbed in the past two days. The most recent Sunday night. There is a reason the higher limit players leave chips in boxes. When Legends opened there was a run on the bank and 88 didnít have the money to pay all those chips out. Once poker players found out they all ran over there to try and cash out and 88 limited cash outs to $2k per day. This went on for the last 3-4 weeks they were open until they suddenly closed. It is estimated around $1m in chips are still out there.

If you listen to Matusows podcast Chan is saying this is due to his partner leaving town with the money. His partner was actually the money behind it and decided to pull out. He didnít steal the money. He quit funding it anymore. Someone else(Chan?) was spending that money and the house of cards collapsed. Now heís calling anyone and everyone to try and sell the club but once that trust is gone you are done. Heís hoping to find a sucker(Matusow lol) to take it on. Chan used his name but didnít put much in. He just took out!!!
12-07-2021 , 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulltexasATM Membership-Based Poker in Texas
Two poker players have been followed and robbed in the past two weeks. The most recent Sunday night. There is a reason the higher limit players leave chips in boxes. When Legends opened there was a run on the bank and 88 didnít have the money to pay all those chips out. Once poker players found out they all ran over there to try and cash out and 88 limited cash outs to $2k per day. This went on for the last 3-4 weeks they were open until they suddenly closed. It is estimated around $1m in chips are still out there.

If you listen to Matusows podcast Chan is saying this is due to his partner leaving town with the money. His partner was actually the money behind it and decided to pull out. He didnít steal the money. He quit funding it anymore. Someone else(Chan?) was spending that money and the house of cards collapsed. Now heís calling anyone and everyone to try and sell the club but once that trust is gone you are done. Heís hoping to find a sucker(Matusow lol) to take it on. Chan used his name but didnít put much in. He just took out!!!

Sorry, was typing while playing at Legends. Amended first line as it was in the past two weeks(rather than days).
12-07-2021 , 03:51 PM
Here is a good article I haven't seen anyone post yet re: the situation - https://www.poker.org/johnny-chans-8...n-poker-scene/

      
m