Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

View Poll Results: SO WHAT DO YOU THINK IS A REALISTIC ANNUAL EARNING OF AN "A" PLAYER GRINDING $1/$2NLHE?
LESS THAN $22K 316 12.72%
$22K TO $28K 384 15.45%
$28K TO $34K 430 17.30%
$34K TO $40K 404 16.26%
$40K TO $46K 234 9.42%
MORE THAN $46K 717 28.85%
Voters: 2485. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #576
rufus2012
journeyman
 
rufus2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 326
Bro, this thread is epic.

Not only do you do a GREAT job of taking us with you on your journey... oh yeah, you're a WINNING poker player, which is inspirational.

Your updates are fun to read. You offer honest answers and commentary, and like you promised in your very first post, virtual complete transparency.

In short, this thread you've created and the story you continue to weave takes BALLS.

My hat's off to you and I wish you the best of luck.

Complete your mission.

Sent from my ADR6350 using 2+2 Forums
rufus2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #577
GatorXP
old hand
 
GatorXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Out of the Theater
Posts: 1,713
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflySymmetry View Post
I think u and @funibed r getting me to reconsider my tipping. In short, what does tipping containment thread suggest? U think 2%? 1%? or just $1 regardless the size of pot?
Well the TC thread is there for you, but i will tell you what i believe. If i was just a rec player i wouldn't mind tipping as u do because it would be all in fun and i wouldnt care about the manies. But im playing semi pro right now and looking to move to full time, i take tipping very seriously because it can have a huge effect on WR. Hence i have become a tipping nit, its not my job to support the dealers kids, it is shared by the table.

So anyway here is what i do, and is certainly on the nitty'r side but im good with that....ive got goals to meet ffs.
$1max unless it is some sort of absurd size pot or i nail a 2outer in a good pot or something, and then it usually just moves to $2.
Then basically if i dont get paid on the flop.....i.e. i cbet and folds to me.... i dont tip, the pot most of the time usually is just not big enough and the % wuld be too big. If the dealer gets me stuck and then i win a decent pot with him dealing to me in the same down but im still stuck, usually no tip unless it gets me back close to even, aint tippin folks for dealing me coolers and getting me stuck.

This game is hard enough, no need to skim that much off your hourly, and you have peeps who depend on u bro.

Estimate and adjust your hourly and think where u wuld be in your challenge right now, pretty amazing i bet.
GatorXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #578
GatorXP
old hand
 
GatorXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Out of the Theater
Posts: 1,713
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Oh and BTW great job so far, keep up the grind!
GatorXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #579
boileref
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 123
I agree that op is tipping too much but to not tip a dealer because they got you stuck goes against what I think all good poker players should have which is mathmatical logic.

It's not the dealer's fault or the cards (new setup) that caused the beat or got you stuck. That logic is what all the people mindlessly playing blackjack believe in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using 2+2 Forums
boileref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #580
GatorXP
old hand
 
GatorXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Out of the Theater
Posts: 1,713
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boileref View Post
I agree that op is tipping too much but to not tip a dealer because they got you stuck goes against what I think all good poker players should have which is mathmatical logic.

It's not the dealer's fault or the cards (new setup) that caused the beat or got you stuck. That logic is what all the people mindlessly playing blackjack believe in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using 2+2 Forums
Speaking of mindlessly, so then why tip him when you win? Why not just throw him $1 or whatever at the end of his down regardless of what happens?

My part in the derail is over....
GatorXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #581
gakn29
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,230
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

what cell phone app is that?
gakn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #582
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

@gatorxp @boilreef @funinbed appreciate the discussion on tipping. I think I will cut back a bit to 1% of net winnings on all pots. 2-3% on promotions won. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

@gakn29 its called Poker Journal version2.40, and use PokerCruncher as my poker calc

@starkspizzeria u r making me hungry @rufus2012 appreciate the well written post. Hope u hv a great weekend.

Today starts my weekend. Usually take Friday and Saturday off. Yes I do know both of those 2 days r gd poker days to play w a lot more recreation players Oh well, it doesn't bother me. I cherish the Fridays and Saturdays spent w the fam. So today I'm just getting caught up on rent rolls, bills, and small projects. Then a nice dinner w fam later this evening. Tomo tennis, and then volunteering at a Music/carnival fundraising event. Portion of the proceeds go to Aiden's Lego Legacy. Legos helped Aiden get through his chemo treaments, and now wants to help by distributing legos out to other kids battling cancer. As i metnioned before, Aiden is my 9yr old neighbor across the street that has been battling leukemia on and off his whole life. Aiden has been a great source of inspriation and motivation for me. He is a true example of a fighter w no quit! To get more connected to his awesome Lego Legacy https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...ser=1568746488
Have a great weekend.
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #583
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Table 11. 1/2nlhe. Bought n for $400 at 1pm. Cashed out $656 at 5:10p. It was a gd table, and only leaving because I got a text to play tennis this evening. Tennis before poker always. Actually tennis before everything except God and family.
+$256 gd start to the week!
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #584
tswpoker1
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Here and There
Posts: 1,732
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

So I think we may have just played together? I remember you telling me in your last response you don't usually play on the weekends but I got sat earlier (around 1:30ish) with a player named Ray, wasn't sure if it was you. I was sitting in the 2 seat.

If it was you, I've got a question about a certain hand.

Limped pot to the flop, maybe 5 players.
Flop: Qd 10d 2s...I checked, Player 3 bet $5, you flatted, lady called and I called.
Turn: 6s...I checked, Player 3 bet $10, you called, lady called, I raised to $40..Player 3 folded, you called, lady folded
River: 9h...I checked, you bet $105, I folded and showed 6d 2d, you said you had the Jd

So I was thinking on my way home. You either had Ad Jd (busted draw), Jd Kd (OE Straight/Royal Flush draw, think you would have played that hand more aggresively, Jd 8d (straight), or possibly a Ko Jd (straight).

I didn't think if I hit the flush it would be good, and the river gave you a better hand either way if you straighted, or made a higher two pair.

Care to let me in on your hand?
tswpoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #585
tswpoker1
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Here and There
Posts: 1,732
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Just saw your post, guess it was you lol. I'll say hey next time.
tswpoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #586
Cookie1410
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 125
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Great thread matey, keep it up. I can't believe I have only just found this.

I hope to be doing something very similar soon.

Subbed
Cookie1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #587
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswpoker1 View Post
So I think we may have just played together? I remember you telling me in your last response you don't usually play on the weekends but I got sat earlier (around 1:30ish) with a player named Ray, wasn't sure if it was you. I was sitting in the 2 seat.

If it was you, I've got a question about a certain hand.

Limped pot to the flop, maybe 5 players.
Flop: Qd 10d 2s...I checked, Player 3 bet $5, you flatted, lady called and I called.
Turn: 6s...I checked, Player 3 bet $10, you called, lady called, I raised to $40..Player 3 folded, you called, lady folded
River: 9h...I checked, you bet $105, I folded and showed 6d 2d, you said you had the Jd

So I was thinking on my way home. You either had Ad Jd (busted draw), Jd Kd (OE Straight/Royal Flush draw, think you would have played that hand more aggresively, Jd 8d (straight), or possibly a Ko Jd (straight).

I didn't think if I hit the flush it would be good, and the river gave you a better hand either way if you straighted, or made a higher two pair.

Care to let me in on your hand?
I was thinking after u raised on turn, u had maybe K9. I didnt think u had KJ, or any Q. i was a lil perplexed on ur hand, but when u showed the 62 that hand made sence. The 9 on the river was a gd card to bluff at. or did I have it?!
U played well today, and dodge some major bullets for some big pots! I was sensing the 5 seat losing control after losing some big ones to u. He needed to just swallow his pride, and play within his head. Instead of just trying to win every pot from bhind against u. in the end, he just cdnt control his emotions, and started to roll into a big tilt ball losing 3buyns.
It's funny how within a couple of orbits, I can usually pick up on the players that r solid, and the ones that aren't. I knew within an orbit, I had to watch out for u. Well played today sir, and nice fold n the only hand we tangled.
J8 gd.
Btw, off the wall question- if I bet $107 on river there, does that look more bluffish than an even $100? [meta game] I was having a discussion about odd bets w a dealer. And he argues its bad for game, and slows it down = less hands = less $. I argued that their were reasons for odd bets. People take pause to an odd bet, and sometimes that can work for ya. Plus pf their r many times $7 and $8 r a lot better than $5 and $10. But on big bets, when Simone bets $100 it seems clean/solid/even# like I want a call. $107 to me seems dirty/fishy/not sure/bluffy. Thats why i bet big odd amounts when i want a call because sm players r so intrigued by the bet they have to call. Am I thinking too much into this? I shd hv bet $107 on river, instead of $105. Just mayb u tank and call, instead of u tank and fold. (Now that everyone knows, I will have to mix it up. Reverse pyscholgy and double reverse physiology)
@cookie1407 I believe u r the 2nd food screen name this past week. @StarksPizza was the other. Gl to u mate.

Oh yeah. My tennis match. I got bagelled the first set 6 love. Came back and won 36,26. #noquit. Back to felt tomo to work towards this $40k. Thanks everyone, and have a great week.
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #588
seamsaclean
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 143
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Thank you for the updates. looking good! I always look forward to reading this thread! It's the only one i follow, and the only reason I signed up. good luck in August, and praying for your neighbor Aiden.
seamsaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #589
dillchips
veteran
 
dillchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,167
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflySymmetry View Post
Tennis before poker always. Actually tennis before everything except God and family.
sub'd just cause of this.

and the sick results too. keep crushing, dude.
dillchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #590
DonkeyCopter
old hand
 
DonkeyCopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Downtown
Posts: 1,261
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Great thread, and great hourly. I will say though, that 26hrs/week is embarrassing as a "full time" player trying to build a roll.
DonkeyCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #591
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

@seamsaclean thanks, and Aiden appreciates the Prayers.
@dillchips u r the 3rd food screen name within the past week. Other 2: @starkspizzeria @cookie1410
@donkeycopter I couldn’t agree more that 26hrs/wk is embarrassing. I just hate being in the poker room. There are so many other things I rather be doing. I need to quit slacking, and log hours.
Today: Lose-$29 on a measly 5hrs. I was down $300 at one point, so it was a nice grind back. The one hand that got me stuck $300 was this beauty- I switched tables to a more active w players straddling, and a few deep stacks. I played a couple of orbits, and was starting to get a gd feel for the table. Everyone at the table was playing $300+, with a couple $800 stacks. At the time of the hand I was up a maybe $20 and playing $400 stack.
Preflop: I am in the sb w AQ . 5 limpers before cutoff makes it $7. I didn’t want 8 players calling $7 when I have A Q , so I 3 bet to $30. Utg calls, mp calls, button folds. The utg player was playing super solid, yet a little snug. MP was a pure maniac.
Flop: AQ8. I check. UTG just open shoves All In for $255! Mp folds. I tank for a bit. I was wavering over pocket 8s or is it AK, or same hand AQ? Limp calling $30, all 3 hands made sense. The open shove flop was odd to say the least because he didn’t seem like a player to get out of line. I reluctantly called, and I was drawing to 4 lonely outs as his pocket 8s tabled. Such a weird play, but worked out great for him. Mayb I can fold here. If there was one player I cd have folded that hand to, it wd hv been this exact player. But I didn’t and it cost me. Correct Folds is the true secret of gd players.
Grinded back to lose $29. My next winning sesh will be #100 on the year. 99-40
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #592
tswpoker1
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Here and There
Posts: 1,732
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflySymmetry View Post
J8 gd.
Btw, off the wall question- if I bet $107 on river there, does that look more bluffish than an even $100? [meta game] I was having a discussion about odd bets w a dealer. And he argues its bad for game, and slows it down = less hands = less $. I argued that their were reasons for odd bets. People take pause to an odd bet, and sometimes that can work for ya. Plus pf their r many times $7 and $8 r a lot better than $5 and $10. But on big bets, when Simone bets $100 it seems clean/solid/even# like I want a call. $107 to me seems dirty/fishy/not sure/bluffy. Thats why i bet big odd amounts when i want a call because sm players r so intrigued by the bet they have to call. Am I thinking too much into this? I shd hv bet $107 on river, instead of $105. Just mayb u tank and call, instead of u tank and fold. (Now that everyone knows, I will have to mix it up. Reverse pyscholgy and double reverse physiology)
Ahhh, very nice hand.

I was thinking about the betting sizes last night. I think when players make that extra $2 bet on top of something ($12, $22, $107, etc.) then it definitely get me thinking. The difference I think though is of player strength, not hand strength. When people bet $12 preflop, or $27 on the flop or whatever it seems to be, I read this as a sign that "this player is thinking and has bet that amount for a reason."

Once I realize that this player is thinking through the hand I actually get more worried about my holdings. Generally when players bet out 25, 50, 100 amounts its pretty standard and you can generally figure their hand out from the board texture. When players bet strange amount I think a few things:
a. Why did they bet this amount?
b. How does this amount relate to the pot size?
c. Have they bet this amount before and what did they show down?

Honestly, I find it as a red flag. Don't put another dime in without figuring out where they are at and you are at.

So to answer your question, if you put $107 on the river I probably snap fold. The $105 bet was very concerning because it was about the size of the pot, so I had to give you credit for a range of hands. $107 would have just told me, you have a great hand and you want me to call.

On another related note I remember twice when you raise the tilty old man (5 seat). He bet $40 and you made it $130 on him, this action happened twice within an orbit. I'm not sure what you had but I read you to be very, very strong. If you were bluffing/semi-bluffing maybe consider keeping up with that line, it seemed to work very well.
tswpoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #593
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

@tswpoker1 gd insight. Appreciate u getting back w me on that. Thanks

Today: currently playing right now and goin on 10hrs+. Prob play til midnight. I got the hall pass from the fam, so that's gd. Up $500 now, but they're just chips until u cash em out. Hopefully I cash out w a solid score.
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #594
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Today: 13hrs 10mins. +$440
Feels gd logging a long sesh.
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #595
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

A big Life beat today at both jobs-poker work, and rental work.
First off I lose $273 on some bad luck and cold decks. 1) Lose $100 aipf to short stack lady holding AQ vs my QQ. Flop looked gd, turn was gd, and the “gd ole” 3 outer A hits the river. That was pretty fun. 2) It was also awesome to see me turn a nut straight, and get the rest of my $250 n the middle w a call. Then the “gd ole” paired board on the river. I lose again and another $300… that was pretty fun too. 3) Lastly, to close out my most awesome session… right before I had to leave to take care of some apartment problems, I encounter another awesome set up! This hand literally was the next hand dealt after I took a phone break to talk to one of my tenants. After my phone conversation, I decided to go to take care of a tenant situation at the apartment. So I head back to the table to say my gdbyes to my mates, and decide to take one last hand (only because Im otb!). Im dealt QJ, and at this point I grinded back to being only down $90ish on the day. Im thinking mayb I can get close to even if I win this last hand. #famouslastwords. HJ makes it $7, co calls, I call. 3 to flop of 3 4 Q. HJ makes it $10, co calls, and I elevate it to $40 total w position. Both players call, UhOh ! At this point, I put the other 2 players on gd hands, and now plan to tread lightly on turn. That is…..Until the J hits! And all of a sudden a celebration w clowns, ferris wheels, balloons, and creepy mimes go off in my head. People chanting “he did it”, “he did it”, “Ray got Unstuck”. The marching band is playing, crowd is going wild, and confetti is coming down from the magical sky!!! As I control this awesome party goin on in the soul of my body, I sit there stoically fighting off the exuberance im feeling. It’s a great weird opposite feeling of having a…party in body Vs. stoic poker face. Sooo now it looks like “this guy”, yes me, “this guy” is gonna get back to even biotches!!!.............Action resumes…………… HJ checks the J on quatro street, co checks, and now my mind is really doing back flips/celebrating the break-even day as I already foresee this pot in my back wallet $$$! 2 pair biotches, I’m def shipping this flipping pot now! It was such a sweet pretty J on 4th street that resembled divine justice for the brutal beats in today’s session. Im thinking-I got this **** as I put out a bet of $30 on turn. Im hoping to induce a call from what I feel is AQ or KQ. I’ll take my chances of river bricking for the $30 call, no prob. HJ folds to my turn bet, and co raises to $70. What!!! Really?!! This guy who just crept his way in at the table during my phone conversation has the audacity to come into the game raising? That shdn’t b allowed, and I’m pretty sure it’s against the rules. I always thought u cant check/raise until ur 2nd orbit played. What is newbie doing to me??? After this outlaw ch/raises me he has another $50 behind… which can be assumed that’s his river bet. Now Im looking at my QJ, and it shrivels up like…(insert own joke). And my emotions now go from bananas to vomit. The happy celebration w clowns goes to a gloomy funeral procession w pallbearers. So now Im looking to call $40 more and prob another $50 if I continue on with my top 2. To go, or not to go? That is the question. Ok lets think about this..Hands newbie cd have, KQ (nope), AQ (hope), 56 (hope)...is newbie a bit of action guy who will call $7 pf w 34, 3Q, 4Q giving him an inferior 2 pair, ummm not likely. Mayb 34, who knows. KK wd be nice, but cant see that line from him. QJ makes a lot of sense, so maybe same hand. 33 and 44 makes a ton of sense, so very likely. JJ is also possible. So a few hands I can beat, and some I can’t. Im tanking, and tanking, and tanking, thinking please let him have AQ, 34, 56, or any random 2 pair. C’mon poker Gods anything, but not a flipping set. Ill will even settle for same hand QJ at this point. Why do this to me poker Gods on my last hand!!?? After tanking a bit, I reluctantly get it all in the middle. It was sooooooooo much fun to see his little 3 little 3! Just wow! Ok ok ok ok it’s not over, we get one more card. This is holdem, 5 cards on the board, not 4. Calling all poker Gods!!! Calling all poker Gods!!! 4 outer one time on river please! (Prob actually only 3 outer w HJ folding prob Q10). Can I please be redeemed from the struggle and heartache w a Q or J on the river. Please, Onetime, onetime, onetime,… River is……………….wait for it…………..wait for it……………..wait for it……….a pretty little 9ball. 34QJ9 BRIDGE!!!!!! Now Man, that hand was a really, really, really, really, a whole lot of fun! Prob the most fun of them all!! I know…Save it…. I lose, I suck, I know. I played it a fast, and it kicked my ass. Mayb I can fold here. ??? I been making some sick folds lately, and mayb my desire to get unstuck pushed me into this debacle of a mishap. Hindsight, should have just been more responsible, and headed out right away to take care of tenant’s issue. But Oh N,o oh nooooo, I just had to b selfish and play that damn button! Screw u button!!! Screw u!!! I hope Mr.Small and Mr.Big blind kick your white circle, flat, 2 ounce ass!!
Did I mention poker was fun today! For all those who think u want this to be your job, warning it’s a very sick life. U must embrace the occasional torture. Many brutal work days, that if not careful, can affect ur evenings. It takes a VERY strong mind. Mental toughness is the key to success in this game!! I’m getting better at it every day. Through the decade of playing for a living, stuff like this becomes “almost” numb after awhile. I'm human, it affects me some, but not like it did in year 1 and 2 of playing. Meh. Never get too high, or too low. Even keel is the way to go. These unlucky sessions, coolers, and cold decks, can eat u up like a vulture if not careful. Though I must admit, I’m kind of weird about these sickening sessions… Meaning- although I try to avoid them at all cost, I somewhat like the torture… it does give me perspective, builds character, humbles me, broadens horizons, and also gives me more fight to push onward.
No sweat, no worries, no probs…be back at it tomo. #karatekidstyle #everyday #heart #keepshowingup #whatido
on a positive note- up $400ish on the week.

Last edited by ButterflySymmetry; 08-08-2013 at 01:40 AM.
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #596
h_ven
Pooh-Bah
 
h_ven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Not bumhunting
Posts: 5,510
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflySymmetry View Post
Flop: AQ8. I check. UTG just open shoves All In for $255! Mp folds. I tank for a bit. I was wavering over pocket 8s or is it AK, or same hand AQ?
Shoving with 88 here is really bad. Why would someone do that? I snap call with AQ. Don't worry about that hand at all man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflySymmetry View Post
Did I mention poker was fun today! For all those who think u want this to be your job, warning it’s a very sick life. U must embrace the occasional torture. Many brutal work days, that if not careful, can affect ur evenings. It takes a VERY strong mind. Mental toughness is the key to success in this game!! I’m getting better at it every day. Through the decade of playing for a living, stuff like this becomes “almost” numb after awhile. I'm human, it affects me some, but not like it did in year 1 and 2 of playing. Meh. Never get too high, or too low. Even keel is the way to go. These unlucky sessions, coolers, and cold decks, can eat u up like a vulture if not careful. Though I must admit, I’m kind of weird about these sickening sessions… Meaning- although I try to avoid them at all cost, I somewhat like the torture… it does give me perspective, builds character, humbles me, broadens horizons, and also gives me more fight to push onward.
No sweat, no worries, no probs…be back at it tomo. #karatekidstyle #everyday #heart #keepshowingup #whatido
on a positive note- up $400ish on the week.
Excellent last paragraph here!
h_ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #597
sicEM55
journeyman
 
sicEM55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 338
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

how many days a week do you usually play?
sicEM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #598
VinnyXRS3
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflySymmetry View Post
@seamsaclean thanks, and Aiden appreciates the Prayers.
@dillchips u r the 3rd food screen name within the past week. Other 2: @starkspizzeria @cookie1410
@donkeycopter I couldn’t agree more that 26hrs/wk is embarrassing. I just hate being in the poker room. There are so many other things I rather be doing. I need to quit slacking, and log hours.
Today: Lose-$29 on a measly 5hrs. I was down $300 at one point, so it was a nice grind back. The one hand that got me stuck $300 was this beauty- I switched tables to a more active w players straddling, and a few deep stacks. I played a couple of orbits, and was starting to get a gd feel for the table. Everyone at the table was playing $300+, with a couple $800 stacks. At the time of the hand I was up a maybe $20 and playing $400 stack.
Preflop: I am in the sb w AQ . 5 limpers before cutoff makes it $7. I didn’t want 8 players calling $7 when I have A Q , so I 3 bet to $30. Utg calls, mp calls, button folds. The utg player was playing super solid, yet a little snug. MP was a pure maniac.
Flop: AQ8. I check. UTG just open shoves All In for $255! Mp folds. I tank for a bit. I was wavering over pocket 8s or is it AK, or same hand AQ? Limp calling $30, all 3 hands made sense. The open shove flop was odd to say the least because he didn’t seem like a player to get out of line. I reluctantly called, and I was drawing to 4 lonely outs as his pocket 8s tabled. Such a weird play, but worked out great for him. Mayb I can fold here. If there was one player I cd have folded that hand to, it wd hv been this exact player. But I didn’t and it cost me. Correct Folds is the true secret of gd players.
Grinded back to lose $29. My next winning sesh will be #100 on the year. 99-40
Every donkey can hit the nuts... but how many can fold 2nd best.
VinnyXRS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #599
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

@h_ven thanks man. I thought it was really strange play also w 88s! To over shove allin 3x pot size w a set on dry flop is mind boggling. Im almost folded because what hands wd take that line that I can beat? Im not so sure. AK, AJ might be the only one. But why bet so much? I just don't get it. I can see smone doing this ONLY if they knew other opponent was holding AQ. It got me thinking did he c my cards? I def protected my cards, so I know he cdnt hv seen my hand. Very weird and strange tho.
@sicME55- I usually play 5 days a week (Sun-Thurs). Average sesh is around 6hrs.

Today: Poker was ACTUALLY fun today! after a brutal yesterday, things turned around quickly today. The first hour the deck was slapping my face so hard, and I was winning everything. It was a nice rebound +$544. Im taking the next couple days off from poker. So that means, my weekend starts now! I can hear the Mexican Variety Beer case in the fridge calling my name. The only decision I have to make over the next couple of days is Dos Eqsuis, Tecate, or Sol.
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #600
ButterflySymmetry
veteran
 
ButterflySymmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on the move
Posts: 2,926
Re: MY $40k CHALLENGE in 2013, @ INDIANA HORSESHOE GRINDING $1/$2nlhe!

I decided to go w Tecate, and now Im celebrating my first 5 bet pre flop w KK this year. It happened in today's sesh when 2 players limp before I limp n HJ w KK, CO limps, button 2bets to $8, 2 callers until I 3 bet to $32, CO limp/calls $32(?), Btn 4 bets to $62, folded to me and 5bet shove $475, CO folds, Btn is all in for $200 total. Heads up to flop KK>JJ. #knowurplayer #knowurtable
#poppinbottles
ButterflySymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online