Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

I知 29 years old from the UK and I致e been playing poker on and off for about 10 years. I知 currently working full-time at law firm and I知 looking to qualify as a solicitor in the next couple of years. My goal is to earn the 」12k to do the Legal Practice Course to qualify as a solicitor from my earnings at MTTs in poker. I知 aiming to start this course in September 2018.

I started playing in January and I致e made over $1k so far, playing about 800 tourneys with an average BI of $7. My starting BR was $750 and I知 currently on $2100, including bonuses I致e taken out and staking other players. I知 playing a mixture of regular and turbo MTTs, all NLHE. Obviously working full time I知 not able to put in massive volume but I try to do poker 2-3 evenings a week and grind at least one day every weekend. I try to spend 4-5 hours a week properly studying alongside my grind. You might also have seen me on the MTT threads quite a bit I like to see what others are thinking and how they approach things.

Goals from now until SCOOP:

[ ] Do 5 hours of quality study per week (e.g. interactively watching videos, breaking down ranges in my hands)
[ ] Do one big overall leakfinder session per month
[ ] Build my BR up to $3k before SCOOP so I知 properly rolled for $27Bis

Long term goals:

[ ] Play more big MTTs with soft fields e.g. Sunday Millions, Big 109
[ ] Reach $15k profit by September 2018

Profit to date: $1190.66
BR: $2136.74

Graphs and bio to come!
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Graphs

Profit


BB


Stats
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

A brief bit about my life and poker career so far:

I started playing at Newcastle University when doing my law degree about 10 years ago. However I was just messing around with mates and playing for fun.

After I graduated I had a Training Contract with a law firm all sorted out however the financial crisis took hold and this was cancelled screwing up all of my plans and forcing me to do something else. I took a couple of different jobs but in 2013 I was made redundant and I thought I壇 give poker a proper go.

In 2013/14 for about 6 months to a year I took poker very seriously and it was my only source of income during that time I was playing some MTTs but was mainly playing 6-max cash games, getting up to 50NL regularly and taking some shots at 100NL. During this time I was pretty into studying with Skype groups, signed up to RIO + Cardrunners. I also did a stint as a Hand Analyzer at Poker School Online, where I met some cool people.

However I wasn稚 really making enough money to justify making poker as a profession and I wasn稚 really enjoying playing with the pressure of it being my only income. So I took a decent job that I知 still doing now. I also met a girl where I was punching well above my weight. This all led to me more or less quitting poker until we split up last year.

Now I致e got a lot more free time on my hands and I致e been playing as much as I can since January and have really enjoyed playing as a part-time hobby making some sort of a side income. It痴 nice not to have to cash out some $$ every month from my poker roll!

I致e played some live poker in my time but not too much I don稚 really play live tourneys at all now, the downswings are just so brutal. I sometimes play cash poker live the player pool is usually so soft it痴 +++EV in terms of money but -EV for time + effort. I made 」2k last summer when I went down to London with a mate of mine and played some 1/2 at the Vic and the Empire.

I知 also a keen chess player, about 2050 Elo rating but I知 hoping to cut this down to concentrate more on the pokerz.
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
Colin_Piddle
The Colonial
 
Colin_Piddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: AlwaysFolding is my gimmick
Posts: 11,241
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

GL dude. I'm actually a lawyer myself! It's a brutal job at times but it seems like you have the passion and dedication for it!
Colin_Piddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
TPowton
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 17
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Good luck mate got off to a good start. What's your method on dealing with the downswings? I always start doubting myself after a bad run which even though I know it's just variance I can't help doing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
TPowton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_Piddle View Post
GL dude. I'm actually a lawyer myself! It's a brutal job at times but it seems like you have the passion and dedication for it!


Clients make that passion and dedication disappear very quickly!
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPowton View Post
Good luck mate got off to a good start. What's your method on dealing with the downswings? I always start doubting myself after a bad run which even though I know it's just variance I can't help doing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


When I first started playing again in January, I ran so horribly, I was losing every flip, couldn't suck out once when I was a 30/70 dog. I nearly stopped playing immediately because I thought I'd completely forgotten how to play and all of a sudden became a big donk.

I became scared to take what I thought were clearly +EV shoves because I was doubting myself and just anticipating that I would lose.

I then gave myself a bit of a talking to and reminded myself that most MTT sessions are going to be losing sessions, you're going to have lucky days and unlucky days.

Don't get too emotional either way. When you bink a tourney, you probably got really lucky so don't think you're Phil Ivey all of a sudden. When you're in a downswing, just try to make the right decisions at the tables and things will come to you.
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
LittleGoliath
Pooh-Bah
 
LittleGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,921
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Winrate looks very solid, esp considering first 15k hands were pretty bad You are very likely a big winner on this abi

gl, will be following!
LittleGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGoliath View Post
Winrate looks very solid, esp considering first 15k hands were pretty bad You are very likely a big winner on this abi

gl, will be following!
Thx - I know when I was playing 6-max 50NL, a winrate of 3-5BB/100 was meant to be pretty decent so I'm happy with a 9BB/100 rate in the MTTs although obviously the fields are much softer and it requires different skills to cash games.
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

I tried playing a live tourney last night - a 」35+」6 re-entry. After 6 hours of play I realised why I tried not to do them anymore. Right around the money I went completely card dead for four orbits while everyone was in shove/fold mode. I made a mincash and busted just before the FT.

I then spent the rest of the morning playing 」1/」1 cash till about 7am in the morning - it was a pretty juicy table so I couldn't leave! Made 」330 and I felt like I played really well, very LAG and was accurately figuring out where people were at etc. I might play some more live cash games in the future.

I'll probably post a few hands from the session in here soon - some were pretty funny. I posted one of the more interesting ones in the strat thread here https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/17...bluff-1658261/
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #11
Whazez
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Looking at your graph I can tell right off the bat that you like to call / shove with hands like 99+ deep in tournaments. It looks like you overplay hands like AQ and AJ aswell.
Whazez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazez View Post
Looking at your graph I can tell right off the bat that you like to call / shove with hands like 99+ deep in tournaments. It looks like you overplay hands like AQ and AJ aswell.


That's bizarrely specific but I'll certainly take a look at that - what makes you say that?
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #13
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Session review - All-in shoves with eff stacks 15BB and less

I did a decent session review tonight - reviewing spots where the action is folded to me and I've VPIP'd with effective stacks 15BB or less. I did two separate reviews, one with where the effective stack was between 5-10BB and between 11-15BB. The analysis below is taken from the 11-15BB review but the same sort of observations also apply to the 5-10BB range.

This chart represents my shoving range when it's folded to me with 11-15BBs when I'm in MP, CO or BTN.



Most of this is fine, however there seems to be a pretty clear leak in the bottom left corner highlighted in red. According to the Jennifear charts, in most spots I should be folding these offsuited hands with one high card. Instead focus more on shoving suited hands including suited connectors.

This was a general trend of mine across all my different short stack sizings and from all positions.

However my overall win rate when between 11-15BBs and it's folded to me seems to be OK.



Using the Jennifear charts as a reference, I'm shoving much too wide from the BTN, a bit too wide from CO and a bit too tight from the other positions, including the SB. Interestingly when I'm less than 10BB I'm shoving from the SB close to optimally.

Conclusions
  • Stop shoving stuff like Q2o, K3o and concentrate more on shoving suited hands.
  • Widen shoving range from EP and the SB

I'd be interested in people's thoughts about this analysis. Is this too small a sample to be judging how well I'm doing? Is there something I'm missing or not taking into account?
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #14
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Time for my first update on how things are going. I haven稚 been able to put in much volume over the last three weeks and when I have been playing, I致e been trying to cram some sessions in which hasn稚 led to good poker. I only played 200 tourneys over the last 17 days. I知 probably going to keep going at roughly this rate until SCOOP.

I致e booked some time off work to play the SCOOP events I want to take part in so I really hope to hit the tables hard for those couple of weeks.

Results
I致e lost a few hundred this month so I知 down to $900 profit on the year at an ROI of 11% this is fine but not spectacular. I think if I can tread water and play with small but steady winrates for the majority of the time, at some point I値l bink a couple of big scores that will propel me to where I want to be.



I致e started to spread out where I play I recently joined Party Poker and 888. Pokerstars seem to want to turn every tourney to PKO or 100% PKO so I wanted to test out some other options.

Party Poker doesn稚 have a great selection of games for my level they池e also falling for the PKO trap but the software is pretty decent and they have a decent player pool.

888 poker has a nice range of tourneys. The software is crap but the player pool is really soft. I致e played about 15 MTTs and final-tabled 3 of them usually with people donating their chips.

Study

I致e bought ICMizer I致e started using it for a few spots but I hope to do some deep analysis in some of my FTs and see where my strengths and weaknesses lie. I知 also considering purchasing Flopzilla but I don稚 know if I壇 use it too much it seems like a tool that痴 more suited for Cash players.

I致e been hitting my target of 5 study hours per week watching some RIO vids and doing analysis of my own play mainly shove/fold spots so far. However I want to go more in depth with this.

Goals Update

I'm going to amend one of my goals slightly. Because I've started on new websites now, I've just deposited on them with my real life roll so it's tricky to comment on my bankroll as a whole. I've therefore decided that I can go for a target of $2k profit before SCOOP.

Goals from now until SCOOP:

[x] Do 5 hours of quality study per week (e.g. interactively watching videos, breaking down ranges in my hands)
[ ] Do one big overall leakfinder session per month
[ ] Amended - Have $2K profit before SCOOP so I知 properly rolled for $27Bis.

Long term goals:

[ ] Play more big MTTs with soft fields e.g. Sunday Millions, Big 109
[ ] Reach $15k profit by September 2018
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #15
ChrisDonk
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 110
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Hey man, best of luck with your grind. I'm trying to win enough to pay off my LPC loan lol!
ChrisDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #16
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDonk View Post
Hey man, best of luck with your grind. I'm trying to win enough to pay off my LPC loan lol!

Cool - hope you manage it! Are you doing your LPC now or are you working?
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:51 AM   #17
ChrisDonk
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 110
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Oh I completed it about 6 years ago, took me 4 years then to qualify after slumming it as a paralegal to gain "experience". A career in law is its own grind it's not too late to get out my friend! The course itself is very good, however. As with all things it's always far better when you can apply theory to practice.
ChrisDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #18
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

I got a quarterly bonus this last payday so I'm donking that off on the Sunday Million Anniversary and the Party Poker Title Fight, both for $215. Let's hope for some rungood!
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
TrustySam
journeygirl
 
TrustySam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: depositing and lending on Kiva
Posts: 3,198
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
I also did a stint as a Hand Analyzer at Poker School Online, where I met some cool people.

Hi! Recognized your name from PSO right away


Used to follow your live blogs of your grinds on PSO - guess you were sometimes selling shares? And it seemed like you were making final tables *all the time*! Was pretty active with share buying back then because it was right after my big tourney cash, and would always try to buy some of yours, but wasn't always able to grab any before they sold out, because they were so popular. It's fun to by shares when they turn a profit

Guess PSO's gotten a lot more quiet, now that they don't have paid hand analyzers, and fewer live training classes. Checked in a while ago, and it looked like they were paying someone to make posts on the message board because it had gotten so quiet?

Cool to see you've picked up the grind again - best of luck with everything!
TrustySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:18 AM   #20
spand42
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 756
Re: Spand42 Moving up MTTs to pay for law school

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Hi! Recognized your name from PSO right away


Used to follow your live blogs of your grinds on PSO - guess you were sometimes selling shares? And it seemed like you were making final tables *all the time*! Was pretty active with share buying back then because it was right after my big tourney cash, and would always try to buy some of yours, but wasn't always able to grab any before they sold out, because they were so popular. It's fun to by shares when they turn a profit

Guess PSO's gotten a lot more quiet, now that they don't have paid hand analyzers, and fewer live training classes. Checked in a while ago, and it looked like they were paying someone to make posts on the message board because it had gotten so quiet?

Cool to see you've picked up the grind again - best of luck with everything!
Thanks for stopping by - I remember you well! In fact I see quite a few of the PSO crew on here quite a bit.

PSO really helped me out a lot in terms of nailing down the fundamentals and being able to beat the micros to move up to low stakes. I still recommend that people watch some of the old videos on there, TheLangolier has a good way of teaching and he's a decent player.

After a while though I was spending too much of my poker time hand analyzing etc which was detrimental to my own study at the higher games. With all the changes that Pokerstars was making I decided that I poker wasn't going to be a career so I lived life a bit more normally!

My volume at the moment is a lot lower but I really look forward to playing.

I've booked some time off work to grind SCOOP and I'm likely going to be running some sort of package for that.
spand42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ゥ 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive