Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #101
Rizzeedizzee
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,164
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokermonk View Post
New episode is finally here. Let me know what you think!

Nice vlog - no rust from the layoff.

I think you played the first hand fine - no issues there. On the second hand, as played I think you need to shove the turn, since you either can get a fold or if he calls you're likely live and decently priced in. Check folding the flop might be the best line though.

If the first game you were playing was so great, why not look into getting a room? It was a Wednesday, right? How much could it have cost? Or does that casino not have an adjoining hotel? Even still, with casinos come hotels so I'm guessing there would've been a reasonably-priced room option within a nearby vicinity.

Also, just curious - when (if at all) do you top off your stack once it falls below the max buy in?

My vote on the poll is no reviews along those lines, but that's just me.
Rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #102
Rizzeedizzee
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,164
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzeedizzee View Post
Nice vlog - no rust from the layoff.

I think you played the first hand fine - no issues there. On the second hand, as played I think you need to shove the turn, since you either can get a fold or if he calls you're likely live and decently priced in. Check folding the flop might be the best line though.

If the first game you were playing was so great, why not look into getting a room? It was a Wednesday, right? How much could it have cost? Or does that casino not have an adjoining hotel? Even still, with casinos come hotels so I'm guessing there would've been a reasonably-priced room option within a nearby vicinity.

Also, just curious - when (if at all) do you top off your stack once it falls below the max buy in?

My vote on the poll is no reviews along those lines, but that's just me.
To clarify, when I say the bold I mean as played, i.e., without knowing what he ultimately had. Of course in reality he wouldn't have folded.
Rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #103
thepokermonk
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzeedizzee View Post
Nice vlog - no rust from the layoff.

I think you played the first hand fine - no issues there. On the second hand, as played I think you need to shove the turn, since you either can get a fold or if he calls you're likely live and decently priced in. Check folding the flop might be the best line though.

If the first game you were playing was so great, why not look into getting a room? It was a Wednesday, right? How much could it have cost? Or does that casino not have an adjoining hotel? Even still, with casinos come hotels so I'm guessing there would've been a reasonably-priced room option within a nearby vicinity.

Also, just curious - when (if at all) do you top off your stack once it falls below the max buy in?

My vote on the poll is no reviews along those lines, but that's just me.
Hey Rizzeedizzee,

As far as playing the 2nd hand, I agree entirely, especially that check-folding the flop is probably the best overall line.

It's funny you mentioned staying at the casino when there's a good game because my wife and I were kind of talking about it this morning right before I read this post. Spontaneously deciding to stay in a hotel is usually out of the question because, well, you know, marriage. I think suddenly deciding not to come home looks pretty suspicious to a spouse. I guess for me it might not be so bad because she could just watch the vlog to see what I'm up to Also, I still have a day job that I often have to get to the following day. Plus the games at Hollywood Casino usually die off pretty early in the evening so it's usually not worth staying there.

But I think what I'll start doing, maybe even this coming week, is start planning overnight trips to the Maryland area casinos. This way I can fit in a bunch of sessions without having to worry about the drive. I was thinking I could stay near Maryland Live! and do something like drive to the Horseshoe in Baltimore, play a session there, then check in at the hotel, play a session at Maryland Live! in the evening. Then the next day, check out, drive to MGM and play a session, then go home from there. Would generate a ton of vlog material and help me towards my goal of getting more time in at the tables.

Thanks, Rizzeedizzee!
thepokermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #104
D22-soso
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 97
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Thanks! Will get hands from Limon's PLO game at table 27 Commerce Casino when I can. Toying with some different styles for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisM98 View Post
Let me just really quickly give a general plug for Wayne Chiang, a regular at the Bicycle Casino in LA ...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFI...OGcire_-ECWYrw
This is just a link to his channel. Recently he has been stepping up his game. He is not a vlogger that pulls together HA, a bit of his life, and bit of LA though. He uploads raw hands shot from the table. Big O, PLO, 2-7TD, Badugi, LHE, etc. He also has been streaming a few minutes per day on Periscope from the famous Table 27 at Commerce. So if you enjoy just raw, uncut table POV shots, Wayne is the man. He also has a collection of Poker Comedy that might only be rivaled by Peter Manzaneli.
D22-soso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #105
Tommy Carlo
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr_ View Post
It may be one thing to get kicked out of a Casino (who really cares, it's probably pretty badass anyway right?)
I was banned from the Snoqualmie last year for harassing a waitress. It went like this. Last April Fools' Day, we had a prop bet at the table - you couldn't say anything to a waitress that didn't start with "Who do I have to blow..." - the line that got me banned for a day was "Who do I have to blow to get a green tea with honey and lemon?" - I don't know that it was badass, but it was pretty funny at the time.

I've pretty much stopped filming at the table because I suspect exactly what you said - it's only a matter of time before I get busted, and since I play there all the damn time, I should probably respect the rules and laws of the place a bit more.

Oh, I have a new episode up after a month off. These things are a PITA to make on a regular basis, but a couple of good hands required documentation.

Tommy Carlo


Tommy Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #106
AndrewNeeme
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 27
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Sup guys. Just discovered this thread. If there's any particular way I can contribute let me know.

Waiting for this absurd eye issue to clear up before getting back after it. Pretty annoying time to be holed up in the apartment but luckily the WSOP is a long haul.
AndrewNeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #107
fozzy71
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fozzy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 8 Mile + 2.5
Posts: 36,938
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNeeme View Post
Sup guys. Just discovered this thread. If there's any particular way I can contribute let me know.

Waiting for this absurd eye issue to clear up before getting back after it. Pretty annoying time to be holed up in the apartment but luckily the WSOP is a long haul.
Your videos usually get discussed/posted in the other thread that is vegas specific - https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...ounts-1637166/
fozzy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #108
DavisM98
journeyman
 
DavisM98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 259
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22-soso View Post
Thanks! Will get hands from Limon's PLO game at table 27 Commerce Casino when I can. Toying with some different styles for the future.
I saw you on LATB with your cell phone cam at last night's 5-5 PLO game -- when will see that vlog?
DavisM98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #109
DavisM98
journeyman
 
DavisM98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 259
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNeeme View Post
Sup guys. Just discovered this thread. If there's any particular way I can contribute let me know.

Waiting for this absurd eye issue to clear up before getting back after it. Pretty annoying time to be holed up in the apartment but luckily the WSOP is a long haul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
Your videos usually get discussed/posted in the other thread that is vegas specific - https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...ounts-1637166/
While Fozzy is correct, the LVL vlogging thread usually covers yours -- I did open this thread with the intention of featuring all poker vloggers in general (where as the LVL thread is intended just for Las Vegas vloggers) so you are certainly welcome to post new releases here and please do comment on other vlogger's content as I'm sure they would appreciate your input. You are probably aware, but most poker vloggers are either emulating you or Trooper with a few just doing something on their own, completely differently.

I hope the eye infection clears up soon!

Last edited by DavisM98; 06-22-2017 at 12:17 PM.
DavisM98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #110
thepokermonk
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

I was up until 2:30 am last night finishing the vlog - was just about to upload it - and the software crashed and I lost the entire vlog. No backup. When I switched to the new computer and set up the backup (Mac TimeMachine) I must have done it wrong because it wasn't backing up the new computer, just the old one.
Super frustrating. I had already put over 15 hours of editing into that episode and had it looking really good. But it's gone now. All that's left is the raw footage (luckily I had that backed up elsewhere). So I've got to start all over.
Instead of playing poker today, going to put in a marathon editing session today and probably a few hours tomorrow to try and get the episode up sometime Saturday. Not looking forward to doing it all over again, but it is what it is, I guess. Better get to work.
thepokermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #111
raradevils
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
raradevils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: waiting NJ to add more states
Posts: 7,944
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisM98 View Post
I think it may be WSOP time, not entirely sure. Let's check in with Ryan Frechette and Andrew Neeme to be sure.

Frechette & trucker friend from Nebraska drive up to the Rio, wander around, get busted by the video police a few times, look around the main spots.


Neeme grabs a little footage outside the Rio, wanders around inside a bit, best extended full name for the Rio ever noted on camera and a reminder to be kind to your dealers. Yes please do.


So much confusion! Something was moved and it wasn't my cheese! WHERE IS THE MAIN STAGE FOR FINAL TABLES?? Oh well I guess it doesn't matter since there is basically no streaming this year anyway. Grr.
I had the pleasure of meeting and playing with Ryan for a bit last Friday also meet the owner of 9to5. Keep posting Ryan!
raradevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #112
Rizzeedizzee
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,164
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokermonk View Post
I was up until 2:30 am last night finishing the vlog - was just about to upload it - and the software crashed and I lost the entire vlog. No backup. When I switched to the new computer and set up the backup (Mac TimeMachine) I must have done it wrong because it wasn't backing up the new computer, just the old one.
Super frustrating. I had already put over 15 hours of editing into that episode and had it looking really good. But it's gone now. All that's left is the raw footage (luckily I had that backed up elsewhere). So I've got to start all over.
Instead of playing poker today, going to put in a marathon editing session today and probably a few hours tomorrow to try and get the episode up sometime Saturday. Not looking forward to doing it all over again, but it is what it is, I guess. Better get to work.
Ouch - brutal. We've all been there one way or another. Looking forward to it as usual, and fingers crossed that it gets you over the 1K subs mark!
Rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #113
DavisM98
journeyman
 
DavisM98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 259
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Well it was a great poker vacation - my TR is somewhere on LVL if you're interested, enjoy. I have been catching up on vlogs, and of course there are tons out there because of the series now. Several usual suspects have posted more than one, but in this post I'll be catching up on a one-per vlogger mode. If you like the style though, be sure to check their channel for additional content.



Let's start with Brad Owner, Subscriber Hunter. He has posted a few recently, including the most recent of his game at the Mirage with Neeme -- they got 4x 2-5 games cooking. At the Mirage. On a weeknight. This is the vlog before with Danielle Anderson and several big hands at the Bellagio.
Also, plug for his site OffTheFelt.com I'll just leave that address there for you to copy and paste as you would like to.


Mark Harrison posts vlog #6 - his road trip adventure to Las Vegas. Who doesn't love a random road tripper's poker vlog from Vegas?


Oh that game at Mirage I just noted Brad and Andrew pulled together (while I was in Los Angeles instead of Las Vegas no less -- oh the luck!) Yeah here is the Neeme vlog for that. He's been a little quiet on the vlogs recently, apparently he has a slight eye infection (noted in a live stream) so I hope he recovers soon.


Sure ok the guy doesn't need any extra hype, but hey, he won some huge high roller tournament and made a vlog. So there you go, fair is fair.


Mr. Caster is back after his move to Oklahoma. Chasing storms and selecting tables.


That game at the Mirage? (WHY did I pick that day to drive to LA? lol) Frechette's view of it, part II


Jeff Boski, not surprisingly, has ramped up production as well as we get into summer tournament series. He has released many recently, this is my favorite from a $1k PLO event.


Tommy Carlo, our favorite 100k hero, is back with "Season 2"


Poker Statistician has been very busy as well, pushing out several new ones recently. This one he analyzes several hands from Talking Stick. Bonus points for cheesy humor and puns. GG.


PokerKraut has pushed out several each week recently also, including one with commentary about the upcoming vloggers game. I picked this one because it was one of my favorite recent ones, but I encourage you to view them all.


Not a vlog strictly speaking, but here is a chance to see me get crushed by Gil the Plumber on Live at the Bike (around 13:00 or so). I knew in my gut I should have called off with Ace high but my damn arms grabbed the cards instead of chips and tossed them in!


Zac Rockwell is still alive, looking chill in the airport lounge. Drone footage.


I have been impressed, Daniel has kept pace putting out I believe a vlog per day during the series. This is one of my favorites. I love my mixed games, and so does KP.


Wendy Weismann (TheHammah) does a short vlog about her experience at the Colossus. I got a chance to play with her at Hustler during my trip. She is not a regular vlogger, but this gives a good every-man type of feel to vlogging. Contrast with the guy above.


In slightly more contrast, this is an every-man vlogger, with industry training. Mr. Dorson has also put out several recently, I picked this one because of his bad beat story. Ouch. Just ouch. It really hurts when you realize what could have been. Always just act in turn and don't soft-play the nuts with closing action. Bet the minimum, at least.


I have posted James Chavana's vlogs before, but just a reminder, his video quality and hand graphics are good and easy enough to understand. However, his vlog is produced in spoken Thai instead of English. Words written in captions and graphics on the screen are all English. There are enough cognates you have a pretty good idea of what he is doing, you just won't know specific details unless you understand Thai.


Bikeking, despite some challenges with his phone and memory cards, delivers a WSOP vlog. Bumped into him at the Rio, mentioned I liked his vlog. I think he is still surprised people come up to him out of nowhere to say thanks and good job.


Matt Vaughan has put out several WSOP vlogs including two Colossus flights and the Marathon Day 1, 2 and this one here is a very good vlog from Marathon Day 3.


Let's wrap this catch up post with Papi @ EDC. What can I say? EDC is totally not my crowd, I even completely avoided the strip after Wednesday night just to avoid the madness. However, it is a lot of fun for the right people, and Joey is one of those. In this vlog, no real poker, just a look at EDC. However, naturally, you can find tons of hours of poker figure conversations with Joey on his channel. Ran into him at the Wynn. He was shredding a 5-5 PLO game. GG.

Lotta vlogging ... a . lot . of . vlogging.

Last edited by DavisM98; 06-24-2017 at 12:39 PM.
DavisM98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #114
AndrewNeeme
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 27
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Mr. Dorson's production quality is always on point. 👌🏼 That bad beat story is absurd, seeing as it's a HU pot.
AndrewNeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:17 AM   #115
thepokermonk
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

A day late, but the new episode is finally up! Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.
thepokermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 AM   #116
AndrewNeeme
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 27
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Enjoyed it Monk. Really liked the pace, the music and the vibe. Was worth the forced edit do-over.

One thing I made a conscious decision to do is to move away from analyzing recreational players' lines and decisions after the hand. I might discuss what I perceive their range to be midhand but so often it's going to be, "that was pretty bad." I dunno, just a personal choice I guess.

View from the living room is dope for sure.
AndrewNeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #117
Rizzeedizzee
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,164
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Glad to see the setback didn't delay your vlog too much Pokermonk. The reenactment footage reminded me of the Conan O'Brien old time baseball skit, or at least the visuals.

The vlog was a good 20% shorter than normal - was that by design or due to the circumstances?

I used to have the same issue of if/when to get up once I'm way ahead. I think it mainly depends on how that stack size affects your game, If it turns you into more of a weak passive player then you should leave. But if it makes you more TAGgy, then all the better. Of course budgetary aspects should matter, as should how often you play and how long it takes for you to travel there, plus of course what the table is like and what their image is of you. If you're really worried about losing what you won, you could always cash out, go eat or take a break for however long is required due to room rules, then come back and buy in at another table for an amount that would guarantee a win - for example, if you're up $400 you can buy back in for $300 and thus ensure you win $100. Long story short - there are a ton of factors and no one right answer either in general or even under specific circumstances.

One bit of feedback - you announced that you had a big stack THEN went into hand analysis, which essentially "spoiled" what would happen with the hands you showed. Some - like me - enjoy the suspense aspect of these vlogs. For example, Andrew used to show himself cashing out his chips before he went over hands, essentially spoiling along the same lines.
Rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #118
Turdzilla
veteran
 
Turdzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: From here to eternity
Posts: 2,089
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

P Monk has joined the top tier.

Good vlog.
Turdzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #119
DavisM98
journeyman
 
DavisM98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 259
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNeeme View Post
Enjoyed it Monk. Really liked the pace, the music and the vibe. Was worth the forced edit do-over.

One thing I made a conscious decision to do is to move away from analyzing recreational players' lines and decisions after the hand. I might discuss what I perceive their range to be midhand but so often it's going to be, "that was pretty bad." I dunno, just a personal choice I guess.

View from the living room is dope for sure.
Great vlog Pokermonk!

On commenting on other player's choices ... all I could say is he called with two overs figuring you could easily be continuing with AK which also follows through with the rest of the hand to the end his actions make sense in that regard. For the second one -- it doesn't take a rec player to shove all in with top two pair versus a set.


Example: Watch Ryan (a pro) shove top 2 into IRON's flopped bottom set. Ryan is no rec player, but IRON is.

But to tie in what Neeme was saying, and its up to you -- I prefer The Boski Maneuver. State the hand shown - "Ten Eight, offsuit" give a little "tsk" tongue click, pause for a moment, raise your eyebrows and give a slight head shake, and then move on with the description.

But to each his own -- its your option how to handle.
DavisM98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:52 AM   #120
AndrewNeeme
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 27
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisM98 View Post
it doesn't take a rec player to shove all in with top two pair versus a set.
Yeah fair enough, it was more of just a general statement about approach. I would be interested to hear whether Monk would describe any of the other players in those games as anything other than rec. Would put the over/under at 0.5 based on what I've been hearing about that venue! Haven't been myself yet, hopefully second half of this year.
AndrewNeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #121
thepokermonk
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNeeme View Post
Enjoyed it Monk. Really liked the pace, the music and the vibe. Was worth the forced edit do-over.

One thing I made a conscious decision to do is to move away from analyzing recreational players' lines and decisions after the hand. I might discuss what I perceive their range to be midhand but so often it's going to be, "that was pretty bad." I dunno, just a personal choice I guess.

View from the living room is dope for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNeeme View Post
Yeah fair enough, it was more of just a general statement about approach. I would be interested to hear whether Monk would describe any of the other players in those games as anything other than rec. Would put the over/under at 0.5 based on what I've been hearing about that venue! Haven't been myself yet, hopefully second half of this year.
Andrew, so great to hear from you! Thank you so much for your kind words about the vlog. Hope your eye gets better really soon so you can get back to crushing the vlogging game.

You make a great point about analyzing rec players lines but, and this also refers to your later comment, if I didn't analyze rec players lines, there wouldn't be much left to analyze. I would say at the 1/3 game at MGM Nat'l Harbor, like you said, it's pretty much all recs. You might find a couple players, like myself, who are studying the game, take it very seriously, and are hoping to move up, but even those make up a tiny portion of the 1/3 player pool.
The vast majority of players seem to be your typical rec who plays way too many hands and likes to gamble it up a little. They're not fish. They're just making all the typical mistakes these low limit players make: too wide a range, poor bluffing choices, ignoring or not knowing the math, only mildly paying attention, etc. Which of course makes for a great game and is why the MGM game is doing so well right now. When you move over to the surrounding casinos like MD Live! and Hollywood, you start to see a lot more OMC, though definitely more at Hollywood than MD Live!.

My understanding is that at MGM this changes, as you would expect, when you move up to the 2/5 and 5/10. You're much more likely to run into your average grinder and occasionally an exceptional pro. Chase Bianchi and Cate Hall have seemed to taken up a residency there and I also often see players like Andrew Brokos playing as low as 2/5 there (the game runs pretty deep so I think even 2/5 can be a pretty profitable game there).

Thanks again for checking out the vlog, Andrew. Really does mean a lot to me and, like I said, get better so you can get back to being the GOAT poker vlogger.
thepokermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #122
thepokermonk
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzeedizzee View Post
Glad to see the setback didn't delay your vlog too much Pokermonk. The reenactment footage reminded me of the Conan O'Brien old time baseball skit, or at least the visuals.

The vlog was a good 20% shorter than normal - was that by design or due to the circumstances?

I used to have the same issue of if/when to get up once I'm way ahead. I think it mainly depends on how that stack size affects your game, If it turns you into more of a weak passive player then you should leave. But if it makes you more TAGgy, then all the better. Of course budgetary aspects should matter, as should how often you play and how long it takes for you to travel there, plus of course what the table is like and what their image is of you. If you're really worried about losing what you won, you could always cash out, go eat or take a break for however long is required due to room rules, then come back and buy in at another table for an amount that would guarantee a win - for example, if you're up $400 you can buy back in for $300 and thus ensure you win $100. Long story short - there are a ton of factors and no one right answer either in general or even under specific circumstances.

One bit of feedback - you announced that you had a big stack THEN went into hand analysis, which essentially "spoiled" what would happen with the hands you showed. Some - like me - enjoy the suspense aspect of these vlogs. For example, Andrew used to show himself cashing out his chips before he went over hands, essentially spoiling along the same lines.
It's funny you mention that the footage looks like something from Conan, because I used to work in that late night comedy field and wonder if, unbeknownst to me, it's influenced the way I shoot.

The vlog was a little shorter because when my computer crashed I lost a bunch of footage that I wasn't able to recover. It was mostly in regards to the move to the new apartment, so it wasn't a big deal. Curious though, what did you think of the length. Do you prefer it longer, like around 20 minutes, or shorter like around 10?

As for building suspense and not spoiling the results before I even do the hand analysis, you're absolutely right, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate you saying so. That should make a huge difference in the viewing experience going forward. Thanks!

It's funny, but I never even considered the idea of just getting up from the table with my winnings, maybe taking a break for like an hour, then buying back in while pocketing the profit from the earlier session. This would be especially good with those times when I'm recovering from a down swing and the profit would be very good for my state of mind.
thepokermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #123
thepokermonk
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdzilla View Post
P Monk has joined the top tier.

Good vlog.
Top Tier! Woo-Hoo!
Thanks, Turdzilla!
thepokermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #124
thepokermonk
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisM98 View Post
Great vlog Pokermonk!

On commenting on other player's choices ... all I could say is he called with two overs figuring you could easily be continuing with AK which also follows through with the rest of the hand to the end his actions make sense in that regard. For the second one -- it doesn't take a rec player to shove all in with top two pair versus a set.


Example: Watch Ryan (a pro) shove top 2 into IRON's flopped bottom set. Ryan is no rec player, but IRON is.

But to tie in what Neeme was saying, and its up to you -- I prefer The Boski Maneuver. State the hand shown - "Ten Eight, offsuit" give a little "tsk" tongue click, pause for a moment, raise your eyebrows and give a slight head shake, and then move on with the description.

But to each his own -- its your option how to handle.
Thanks, DavisM98!

I like what you say about commenting on rec players poor plays. I tend to error on the side of over-analyzing because I really am using these hand analysis segments as an attempt to improve my overall thinking about the game. But now that you mention this, it's got me thinking that if I spend less time on stuff like that, I might be able to analyze a much greater volume of hands in these segments like how vloggers like Neeme, Owen, and Boski do.

Anyway, thank you so much for the feedback. Super helpful!
thepokermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #125
Rizzeedizzee
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,164
Re: Poker Vlogging: Its a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokermonk View Post
It's funny you mention that the footage looks like something from Conan, because I used to work in that late night comedy field and wonder if, unbeknownst to me, it's influenced the way I shoot.

The vlog was a little shorter because when my computer crashed I lost a bunch of footage that I wasn't able to recover. It was mostly in regards to the move to the new apartment, so it wasn't a big deal. Curious though, what did you think of the length. Do you prefer it longer, like around 20 minutes, or shorter like around 10?

As for building suspense and not spoiling the results before I even do the hand analysis, you're absolutely right, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate you saying so. That should make a huge difference in the viewing experience going forward. Thanks!

It's funny, but I never even considered the idea of just getting up from the table with my winnings, maybe taking a break for like an hour, then buying back in while pocketing the profit from the earlier session. This would be especially good with those times when I'm recovering from a down swing and the profit would be very good for my state of mind.
So wait - you've never seen the Conan skit? Drop everything and watch it right away; it's as close to sheer comedy perfection as you might see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkSZGXmuvIo

I think your sweet spot is about 15 minutes, or maybe a bit more. A good intro, a few non-poker interludes, car, table, and casino footage taking up about 50%+ of the time, then poker for the rest.

Don't sweat too much on the suspense issue - I think that's more for the higher stakes players or a tournament guy like Boski. I only pointed it out because it was a bit anticlimactic, but not in a frustrating way.

Looks like 1000 subs is imminent. Andrew - since you took a kind interest in Pokermonk's vlog, maybe you can give him a shout out? No pressure....
Rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online