Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #26
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Edit: Hand 4 I have Q4 and the flop should be AT8
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #27
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Pain Tolerance

Had the biggest single session loss I've ever had yesterday. It felt pretty ****ty. I can deal with running bad a lot better than dealing with bad play. I was unhappy with 2 hands yesterday which I will post below. I'm embarrased to post them actually, but I'm going to because that's the only way I'm going to learn and improve. Obviously poker pain is magnified at higher stakes and it's just something I will learn to deal with.

I started the session at a must move table where I thought the game was pretty decent. After a few hours I was moved to the main game which was pretty terrible. My guess is all but one or two players (if that) was a lifetime winner at live poker. You know a game is bad when the topic of conversation is revolving around studying GTO.

I immediately put my name on the list for 2/5. My ev will definitely be higher there but unfortunately the list was a mile long, so I was forced to wait it out at this table. I ended up cutting my session short right after I punted. It's really a numb feeling that I'm sure everyone reading this has experienced. I had no motivation to stick it out and power through the rest of my hours. There was also a slim chance I'd be playing anything close to my A game if I stayed.

Felt a strong compulsion to get hammered after that last hand. Thankfully it was still pretty early when I got home so I was able to go out to a bar and meet up with my friends. I can see why so many people preach about life balance, especially if you play as your primary source of income. Having some type of outlet to get your mind off short term poker results is really important.

Another silver lining from yesterday is I increased my pain tolerance. Next time it won't hurt as bad . I'll post some hands below in separately to avoid the TL;DR wall o text like my last update.
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #28
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Hand 1- 5/10

Young reg opens to 40 in EP, I call HJ 66. 2k eff. HU

Flop($95): 789

Check, I bet $100, He calls.

Turn($295) 3

Check, I bet $275, he folds.
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #29
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Hand 2- 5/10

UTG+2 opens 35 (Loose opener, recently bluffed of a stack, recently called off his stack, slammed table in anger (can't remember specific hh's), Asian, 30's, probably on tilt), HJ calls, I squeeze 150 in sb w/ KJ, UTG+2 calls, HJ folds. 1800 eff. HU

Flop($345): J34

I check, he bets 185, I call.

Turn($715): 5

I check, he bets 375, I call.

River($1,465) 2

I check, he bets 885...

Gross runout. With my hand I'm pretty happy with flop and turn. River I think the only thing I can do is c/f. I guess the top of my range here is AJ. I don't think I can back into any flushes because the flop jack is . I guess the only thing I can do is call with an ace because I'm not confident on my reads re: his barreling tendencies on different runouts. The only thing I'm confident about is he's pretty wide pre and betting the flop wide.

I call.
Spoiler:
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #30
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Hand 3- 5/10

I open 35 UTG KQ, Young reg calls sb, OMC calls bb. 1700 eff w/ sb.
3 way

Flop($105) J83

sb leads 85, OMC folds, I call.

Turn($275) 3

Sb bets $175, I call.

River($625) 2

Sb bets 365, hero ships 1405

Based on what I've seen in a few sessions sb seems like a solid reg. Imo his leading range on the flop is pretty strong. Turn improves my range more than his (I think) and he still bets, obviously continuing to rep super strong. Definitely don't like how I played the entire hand for many reasons, especially punting river with the logic of "I have a king flush blocker". This was my last hand of the session.

Spoiler:
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #31
jrr63
The Situation
 
jrr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Saguaroland
Posts: 3,262
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andees10 View Post
Hand 2- 5/10

UTG+2 opens 35 (Loose opener, recently bluffed of a stack, recently called off his stack, slammed table in anger (can't remember specific hh's), Asian, 30's, probably on tilt), HJ calls, I squeeze 150 in sb w/ KJ, UTG+2 calls, HJ folds. 1800 eff. HU

Flop($345): J34

I check, he bets 185, I call.

Turn($715): 5

I check, he bets 375, I call.

River($1,465) 2

I check, he bets 885...

Gross runout. With my hand I'm pretty happy with flop and turn. River I think the only thing I can do is c/f. I guess the top of my range here is AJ. I don't think I can back into any flushes because the flop jack is . I guess the only thing I can do is call with an ace because I'm not confident on my reads re: his barreling tendencies on different runouts. The only thing I'm confident about is he's pretty wide pre and betting the flop wide.

I call.
Spoiler:
I think you have to bet (or CR) the flop - pretty good flop for your hand and he does not have to have much. Since you took the lead with the squeeze I'd be leading the flop most of the time. If you were thinking he'd bet pretty wide if you check then CR would be a decent plan. Once that river comes out you don't beat much and it's a fold for me.

But I'm sure you know all this since you posted the hand as "played bad". FWIW these are the only kinds of hands I ever post - when I think (or know) it was at least questionable play on my part.

Last edited by jrr63; 01-17-2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: typo
jrr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #32
jrr63
The Situation
 
jrr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Saguaroland
Posts: 3,262
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andees10 View Post
Hand 3- 5/10

I open 35 UTG KQ, Young reg calls sb, OMC calls bb. 1700 eff w/ sb.
3 way

Flop($105) J83

sb leads 85, OMC folds, I call.

Turn($275) 3

Sb bets $175, I call.

River($625) 2

Sb bets 365, hero ships 1405

Based on what I've seen in a few sessions sb seems like a solid reg. Imo his leading range on the flop is pretty strong. Turn improves my range more than his (I think) and he still bets, obviously continuing to rep super strong. Definitely don't like how I played the entire hand for many reasons, especially punting river with the logic of "I have a king flush blocker". This was my last hand of the session.

Spoiler:
Well you know this was a bad bluff so enough said. I've made this kind of negative EV play more than once over the years and each time I say "WTF I'll never do that again"
jrr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #33
bip!
Slow Pony
 
bip!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: not on urban dictionary...
Posts: 12,908
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Wow - just found this. Subbing of course. Did you have a thread for last year?
bip! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #34
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bip! View Post
Wow - just found this. Subbing of course. Did you have a thread for last year?
Welcome! No this is my first PG&C
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #35
dev0wned
journeyman
 
dev0wned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Twitch.tv/devowned
Posts: 201
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Subbed to thread, hoping to get a good amount of 5/10 in this year as well. Been playing 2/5 with good results for about 1000 hours over past few years.
dev0wned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #36
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr63 View Post
Well you know this was a bad bluff so enough said. I've made this kind of negative EV play more than once over the years and each time I say "WTF I'll never do that again"
Yea it's one of the worst feelings. I agree with you about posting spew... It's shameful but also therapeutic
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #37
ATsai
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orange County/LA, CA
Posts: 2,429
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Don't worry about the punt with KQo. My biggest punt ever occurred several years ago where I lost 8.5k (850bbs) unnecessarily with one dumb monster bluff at 5/10 NL. Lighting that much money on fire(especially so many bbs) in ONE HAND really hurt at the time, but I pulled myself together mentally and then finished out the month strong to have the biggest month profitwise in my live NLHE career.
ATsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #38
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Played two sessions since the last update. Made a few mistakes (i'm aware of) but overall thought my play was decent. Last night the session was 8 hours and felt like I could've kept going, but the game was mediocre and everyone just agreed to play a mandatory straddle so I decided to leave. Whenever I decide to put in the occasional marathon session I want to make sure the reason is game quality and not just my compulsion to gamble.

Here is a hand from last night:

HJ opens 40, btn calls (20s, Indian), I call bb w/QT
Btn has 1.7k, I cover
Flop($125): A9Jr, checks through. Turn: 5 bringing bdfd. I lead $75, HJ folds, btn raises to $250, I call. River($625): 7o. Check, btn bets $460 leaving $950 behind. I shove.

*Somewhat relevant villain hh: 4 way to flop i'm the pfr. He checks sb, bb fish donks 1/4 pot on 9JJ, I call, he c/r to 6x fish's bet, fish folds, I call. He c/f on A turn.

Hours complete- 38:00/400
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:31 AM   #39
Willyoman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Willyoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,468
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Subbed, gl man!
Willyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #40
woty87
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fading outs
Posts: 138
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Subbed. Great hh's!
woty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #41
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyoman View Post
Subbed, gl man!
Thanks Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woty87 View Post
Subbed. Great hh's!
Thank you

Results from last week's hh:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andees10 View Post
HJ opens 40, btn calls (20s, Indian), I call bb w/QT
Btn has 1.7k, I cover
Flop($125): A9Jr, checks through. Turn: 5 bringing bdfd. I lead $75, HJ folds, btn raises to $250, I call. River($625): 7o. Check, btn bets $460 leaving $950 behind. I shove.

*Somewhat relevant villain hh: 4 way to flop i'm the pfr. He checks sb, bb fish donks 1/4 pot on 9JJ, I call, he c/r to 6x fish's bet, fish folds, I call. He c/f on A turn.

Spoiler:
I'm surprised no one wanted to berate me for fps in this hand. Even though I got a nice result I'm not sure my play is good. I think my lead ott is good. I'm uncapped including almost all 2 pair and sets of 9's/5's. In this spot I'm not sure why btn wants to have a raising range at all. His value range would be narrow and capped to 55/occasional slow plays. Doesn't make much sense to me. I feel like he's just fos too often with maybe something like a bdfd, especially given how he played that JJ9 board. My first instinct was to just throw my stack in, but stacks are kinda awkward for that, although I still think it might be an ok play. After he raises I would need to shove 1400 into a pot of 450.

The more I think about it, each option might have merit. It sucks to bet/fold my equity in this pot, but if he is getting too much out of line raising the turn he's just lighting so much money on fire vs my value range. On the other hand if I call and hit, we're always getting at least another bet out of his value range and probably his bluffs. I also win when I get a good river card to c/r my wiffs, like our actual result. A downside is there is probably some reverse implied odds when I hit on a .

A lot of stuff to think about. I'd like to learn how to run a sim on a hand like this. I have no experience doing that but it's something I want to look into.

Last edited by andees10; 02-07-2016 at 06:11 PM.
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #42
Snowball2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Snowball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,533
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

It depends on how often he bets the flop.

Sounds like he's the type of player who stabs too often with any piece of the flop, so he's repping quite thin by raising the turn. River is kind of sketchy because an obvious draw does get there, but he probably doesn't take this line (ie check back flop and raising the turn) as an in position player when he can realize his equity way more, and still leave himself with options on the river.

Guess you can credibly rep 8T since he's quite polarized (and probably more bluffy than he should be). Interesting spot, could also reraise turn if you think hes bsing you.
Snowball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #43
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball2 View Post
It depends on how often he bets the flop.

Sounds like he's the type of player who stabs too often with any piece of the flop, so he's repping quite thin by raising the turn. River is kind of sketchy because an obvious draw does get there, but he probably doesn't take this line (ie check back flop and raising the turn) as an in position player when he can realize his equity way more, and still leave himself with options on the river.

Guess you can credibly rep 8T since he's quite polarized (and probably more bluffy than he should be). Interesting spot, could also reraise turn if you think hes bsing you.
Right. 3 betting non all in ott feels gross though. If we were shallower I'd like shipping. And yea I thought river was good to rep 8T. He snap folded so i'm guessing he just had a bluff.

How would you play the hand with just the info given?
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #44
VolumeKing
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 732
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATsai View Post
Don't worry about the punt with KQo. My biggest punt ever occurred several years ago where I lost 8.5k (850bbs) unnecessarily with one dumb monster bluff at 5/10 NL. Lighting that much money on fire(especially so many bbs) in ONE HAND really hurt at the time, but I pulled myself together mentally and then finished out the month strong to have the biggest month profitwise in my live NLHE career.
Sabr beats! Surprised you jammed river instead of turn
VolumeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #45
Snowball2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Snowball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,533
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andees10 View Post
Right. 3 betting non all in ott feels gross though. If we were shallower I'd like shipping. And yea I thought river was good to rep 8T. He snap folded so i'm guessing he just had a bluff.

How would you play the hand with just the info given?
Think i'd play the same up to the river, except i would check fold. You have a TON of bluffcatchers here vs this guy that he's really just burning a lot of money vs your range that took this line, and you don't need to try and out-wizard him with the bottom of your range.

Fwiw his river sizing sucked too.
Snowball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:48 AM   #46
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball2 View Post
Think i'd play the same up to the river, except i would check fold. You have a TON of bluffcatchers here vs this guy that he's really just burning a lot of money vs your range that took this line, and you don't need to try and out-wizard him with the bottom of your range.

Fwiw his river sizing sucked too.
Thanks, good points
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:52 AM   #47
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Played 7.5 hours this weekend. Not sure why, but I was getting legitimately agitated and stressed the entire session. Even though I felt tilted I don't think it had an impact on play. Game started out A+, then it seemed to die down. Not too many interesting spots. Here's the HH of the day:

MP3 open 35 (same villain as last week's QT hand)
I 3bet 105 red AA otb, bb cold calls (middle aged overweight white guy no reads), MP3 calls.

3way
Flop ($320) 456
bb checks, mp checks, I cbet 125, bb raises to 600 leaving ~1k behind, mp folds,

Hours- 45:20/400

Last edited by andees10; 02-10-2016 at 01:00 AM.
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #48
DeathCabForTootie
Pooh-Bah
 
DeathCabForTootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SHR Tunaments
Posts: 5,179
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Why so small OTF? He's got a lot of pocket pairs in his range that he'll call a bigger bet with.
DeathCabForTootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #49
andees10
veteran
 
andees10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunrunning
Posts: 2,801
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCabForTootie View Post
Why so small OTF? He's got a lot of pocket pairs in his range that he'll call a bigger bet with.
My thoughts are the pot is bloated, ranges are more defined, and stacks can still get in across 3 streets. The low board shouldn't connect much with bb's range and mildly connects with mp as I'd imagine he has all sets and 78s. This is a small % though compared to all the mid/broadway scs he could have. I have the advantage w/ premium pairs and I think going smaller is better in this situation because it allows me to cbet more hands in my range.
andees10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #50
Snowball2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Snowball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,533
Re: Moving up in 2016 - 400 hours at 5/10

The Ad is a huge reason for cbetting smaller
Snowball2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online