Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Micro Stake Struggle

Hello 2+2, I stopped playing poker over a year or so ago. However, watching https://www.twitch.tv/pokerstars coverage of the PCA my love for the game was re-born.

So I deposited a small amount onto the iPoker Network (15) and have begun to play Micro Stakes MTTs SNGs and 0.02/0.04 Cash.

My goal is to not go bust, but along the way to learn to improve my game and consistently beat the low stakes before moving on upwards.



I've been lucky to come 2nd in a couple MTTs for 32.20 and 16.50 so my initial deposit has been added to nicely.



However as you can see, I've not been doing that great at 0.02/0.04 (which is the lowest cash game on the site.

So this post is hopefully the start of my journey through the stakes and onwards.
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
potluckneeded2
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 165
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Good luck on your 2019 journey. You mentioned you plan to work on your game, what steps are you taking each week?
potluckneeded2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by potluckneeded2 View Post
Good luck on your 2019 journey. You mentioned you plan to work on your game, what steps are you taking each week?
Right now, nothing. I'm not 100% sure what I should be doing, hopefully, some people here might put me in the right direction?
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Will update graphs later today. Not been playing a lot of poker over past couple days.

However, I've read Blackrain72's CTM and began to read The Grinders Manual. Focusing more on cash games because I've not found much in the way of MTT strategy etc.
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

So I carried on reading "The Grinders Manual" plus played a few more sessions, nothing going well in tournaments, but haven't played too many.



Also still grinding the 0.02/0.04 Cash Tables.



My bankroll which started at 15 is currently sat at 59.42 which is still only slightly over 10 BIs at the 0.02/0.04 tables but I'm building slowly and will continue to study and grind as the year progresses. Who knows where it will end after the years done.
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
Federer20
journeyman
 
Federer20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 313
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Good duck!
Federer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer20 View Post
Good duck!

Thanks!
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Ac3sWild
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 34
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

I am micro-grinding right now as well and have found it helpful to focus only on one format. All your focus and study should be on excelling within that one format and retain focus on the long run ... Good Luck!
Ac3sWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
ukbilly
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lost waiting to be found.
Posts: 116
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac3sWild View Post
I am micro-grinding right now as well and have found it helpful to focus only on one format. All your focus and study should be on excelling within that one format and retain focus on the long run ... Good Luck!
Good advice, I spent a long time screwing around with different game types and wasted a lot of time in the process. Pick one game and focus fully on it.
ukbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac3sWild View Post
I am micro-grinding right now as well and have found it helpful to focus only on one format. All your focus and study should be on excelling within that one format and retain focus on the long run ... Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbilly View Post
Good advice, I spent a long time screwing around with different game types and wasted a lot of time in the process. Pick one game and focus fully on it.
I would say a lot of my focus is on cash games, however, I can't resist the odd MTT here and there, especially with the majority of the wins if you take down a win it can add a lot of $$$ to your bankroll.

I do agree though I should focus on one or the other.
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

So, 6 days since I first posted my thread here on 2+2 and I still have a bankroll!

Mostly playing the 0.02/0.04 cash games.

This was my small session today whilst playing a couple MTTs.



And this is how I'm looking overall on the cash tables at the moment,



And finally my MTTs graph.



I won and then proceeded to lose a $20 ticket in a satellite, so minus that big jump up and down I'm quite happy with how things are going. Finished 3rd in a $1 $100 GTD Bounty Hunter tonight, for around $9.33.

As far as studying goes, I've still not focused my energy into it that much, and frankly, it's because I don't know where to start. There is loads of stuff online but I don't know what is good and what isn't (In terms of "free" content.)

Current Roll - 65.03
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
MMSS
Pooh-Bah
 
MMSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,959
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

It doesn't really matter what is good or bad content. You need to learn to be analytical about what you learn anyway. Yes it would be nice if there was a list of this is awesome, this is ass content but it doesn't exist.

Concentrate on the very basics and go into depth about them. Any math based stuff be very certain about the assumptions that are being made and the difference that assumptions make (this is where people go wrong with math based stuff).

With general game plan vs a pool try and be aware of why what you are doing is good and changes that would make it worse.

Beating the lowest stakes is still easy. I do agree that picking a game and studying that is very important, MTTs and cash aren't really the same thing. What you want to play is up to you but pick a game type and concentrate on it. Depth >

In terms of cash games, get some basic ranges for your pool set. RFI ranges, your 3betting ranges in various positions and how you react to 3bets from common positions i.e. btn v blind. That's a good starting point. Then things like pot odds, c-bet strategies and practice putting people on ranges and combo counting in spots and as long as you understand where the fold button is you're beating 2nl and have a good starting point to get better.
MMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:35 AM   #13
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
It doesn't really matter what is good or bad content. You need to learn to be analytical about what you learn anyway. Yes it would be nice if there was a list of this is awesome, this is ass content but it doesn't exist.

Concentrate on the very basics and go into depth about them. Any math based stuff be very certain about the assumptions that are being made and the difference that assumptions make (this is where people go wrong with math based stuff).

With general game plan vs a pool try and be aware of why what you are doing is good and changes that would make it worse.

Beating the lowest stakes is still easy. I do agree that picking a game and studying that is very important, MTTs and cash aren't really the same thing. What you want to play is up to you but pick a game type and concentrate on it. Depth >

In terms of cash games, get some basic ranges for your pool set. RFI ranges, your 3betting ranges in various positions and how you react to 3bets from common positions i.e. btn v blind. That's a good starting point. Then things like pot odds, c-bet strategies and practice putting people on ranges and combo counting in spots and as long as you understand where the fold button is you're beating 2nl and have a good starting point to get better.
Thanks for the advice! I'm still slowly working my way through "The Grinders Manual" so hopefully when I finish that I'll have a basic understanding of the above things and can move on from there.
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle



A bad day at the tables, I was running into the tops of players ranges over and over again. Added with some bad play on my side of things, but I'm sure I'll recover eventually!

Bankroll - 50.55
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #15
wishmeduck
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Re: Micro Stake Struggle

Had another losing day, felt like I was playing better just running into the top of villains ranges again, more than likely made some bad calls and so on. Luckily today so far, 2 hours into the new day I'm up so overall a slight increase in profit since the last post. I played two MTTs but didn't run well in those either.

Continued reading some more of "The Grinders Manual" and watching Poker on Twitch whenever I can.

Here is my overall cash graph at the moment, 6K hands and just over $6 in profit.



Bankroll - 50.83
wishmeduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online