Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 AM   #1
Rich Checkmaker
banned
 
Rich Checkmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,443
living out of my car in los angeles....

Hello 2p2. My name is Rick. I'm a 30 year old poker player from Los Angeles, California. I've been playing poker since watching the first season of the WPT on the Travel Channel in 2003. I think that ever since then I've wanted to be a professional poker player. And while I've won more than I've lost, I haven't really achieved it. I've been biding my time until now. This thread marks the start.

I'm up 5k in the last 2 weeks of playing. I was up about 1500 until this Saturday night I decided to play the 300-500 5-5 NLHE at Commerce Casino instead of the usual $200 3-5. I won 2700 over 5-6hours. I was playing without fear and everything worked out well for me. I had good cards and bad opponents. And then I decided to play 100-400 1-2 PLO last night. First time playing live PLO and I won 960. Easy game, so now I'm a PLO player?!? We'll see.

I'm sleeping in my car at the moment. It seems like the cheapest and most efficient option for now. I'm going to be spending any money I save on rent on Litecoin($50, 6/20/2017) instead. My goal is to have 30k liferoll by the end of this year(100k next year) and be playing poker professionally. I've never been able to separate a bankroll from the rest of my finances, its all just money to me.

Rich Checkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
LordRiverRat
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,231
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Good luck! Hope you have a backup plan in case things go south. I heard rumours that low stakes live in LA is mostly shortstack poker. Is that the case? Also are you gonna vlog?
LordRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
PokerDividends
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: That's what she said
Posts: 181
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

prob should try to get your long-term living situation figured out before you bust your roll again. priorities man
PokerDividends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
plocp
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 47
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Use your car for uber if you bust your roll, that's what I do


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plocp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
max85
old hand
 
max85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,889
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

dude you are living out of your car but happily gambling at the casino. see the issue here? get your priorities straight! get a job, rent an apartment, save money and when you have enough spare money allocate some to play poker.

at the moment you are simply a gambling degenerate
max85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Rich Checkmaker
banned
 
Rich Checkmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,443
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiverRat View Post
Good luck! Hope you have a backup plan in case things go south. I heard rumours that low stakes live in LA is mostly shortstack poker. Is that the case? Also are you gonna vlog?
backup plan is to get a job. i have a job right now until the end of june. i can go back to work there again in the fall if i want. yeah theres a lot of shortstack poker but im planning on playing a mix between the $200 3-5 game and the $300-$500 5-5 game too. i might do some vlogs in the future, but right now im rocking a crappy 10 year old flip phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDividends View Post
prob should try to get your long-term living situation figured out before you bust your roll again. priorities man
i think you mean short-term living situation. because my long term living situation is going to be sleeping in a bed with a beautiful woman. i got my priorities and they don't include living a life of mediocrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocp View Post
Use your car for uber if you bust your roll, that's what I do


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i think since im living in my car that wont work. plus its a crappy car i think you need a newer model car to drive uber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max85 View Post
dude you are living out of your car but happily gambling at the casino. see the issue here? get your priorities straight! get a job, rent an apartment, save money and when you have enough spare money allocate some to play poker.

at the moment you are simply a gambling degenerate
you sound like my mom lol. no dude. just, no.

getting a job and an apartment and working my ass off at some job i hate is not a life i can live any more.
Rich Checkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
TommyTsunami
grinder
 
TommyTsunami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago in the Living Room
Posts: 421
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Stick exclusively to the $200 3-5 game and whatever you do stay away from plo until you build a proper roll (10k) -glgl make it happen
TommyTsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
ALLNITSGOBROKE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Running over you nits
Posts: 267
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

ive read some of OP's posts in the bodog thread, not sure if hes trolling here or what but if not GL OP
ALLNITSGOBROKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
mchares
adept
 
mchares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Villian's Mind
Posts: 1,016
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

GL

Next goal you should have is get yourself a place to sleep but the car, this temporary thing is just helping you out to start...Avoid looking for a job as much as u can, but think one step ahead and manage your whole hours very wel...
mchares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
Rich Checkmaker
banned
 
Rich Checkmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,443
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTsunami View Post
Stick exclusively to the $200 3-5 game and whatever you do stay away from plo until you build a proper roll (10k) -glgl make it happen
thanks, good advice i'll do my best to follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLNITSGOBROKE View Post
ive read some of OP's posts in the bodog thread, not sure if hes trolling here or what but if not GL OP
thank you. def not trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchares View Post
GL

Next goal you should have is get yourself a place to sleep but the car, this temporary thing is just helping you out to start...Avoid looking for a job as much as u can, but think one step ahead and manage your whole hours very wel...
thanks buddy =D. yeah my goal is to have another place to sleep by the end of the year or in a month or two. maybe ill get a van or something.
Rich Checkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
ALLNITSGOBROKE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Running over you nits
Posts: 267
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Checkmaker View Post
thanks, good advice i'll do my best to follow it.



thank you. def not trolling.



thanks buddy =D. yeah my goal is to have another place to sleep by the end of the year or in a month or two. maybe ill get a van or something.

youre welcome. id rather live in southern cali than nevada and im sure you would too but maybe you'd be better off going to live in vegas temporarily once you build your roll some because the cost of living is obv alot cheaper and you still wouldnt be too far from your fam in LA
ALLNITSGOBROKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
Derp!
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 536
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

You can use a 15 year old car to Uber in L.A. Do that for side money when you're really desperate. If you don't have a bud rec, get it. Then, get a job as a bud tender. Easy Pt/FT job, and clubs tend to pay decent (likely to deter theft?). I knew bud tenders getting paid $25+/hr.

In any case, GLGL!
Derp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
ALLNITSGOBROKE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Running over you nits
Posts: 267
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp! View Post
Then, get a job as a bud tender. Easy Pt/FT job, and clubs tend to pay decent (likely to deter theft?). I knew bud tenders getting paid $25+/hr.
im making more but i might have to quit playing poker full time to do that if theyre making that much
ALLNITSGOBROKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
p2 dog, p2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,384
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

why litecoin?
p2 dog, p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #15
Nick_AA
old hand
 
Nick_AA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,438
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2 dog, p2 View Post
why litecoin?


Because bitcoin or ethereum would break the pattern of poor life choices I'm guessing he's made to be in this predicament.
Nick_AA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:06 AM   #16
esjaysharks
centurion
 
esjaysharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 143
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2 dog, p2 View Post
why litecoin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_AA View Post
Because bitcoin or ethereum would break the pattern of poor life choices I'm guessing he's made to be in this predicament.
Litecoin is actually a good investment imo. It was $4 a coin a year ago, $25 a month ago, and $44 now. We'll see what happens, though.
esjaysharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #17
Rich Checkmaker
banned
 
Rich Checkmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,443
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

The Bluff Call

I finally pulled off the bluff call. I was in a pot with the fun player at the table. Utg limps and the fun player on the button makes it 15. Im in the big blind with 87ss and I call utg calls. Flop is Q73ddd we all check, turn Kd we all check. river 5c check, check, fun player bets 35, I call and utg tank folds. The fun player flashes a queen says "you must have a diamond" and mucks his hand....LOL!!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLNITSGOBROKE View Post
youre welcome. id rather live in southern cali than nevada and im sure you would too but maybe you'd be better off going to live in vegas temporarily once you build your roll some because the cost of living is obv alot cheaper and you still wouldnt be too far from your fam in LA
but if im living in my car the cost of living aint much different and I only have one friend in Vegas and a lot more in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp! View Post
You can use a 15 year old car to Uber in L.A. Do that for side money when you're really desperate. If you don't have a bud rec, get it. Then, get a job as a bud tender. Easy Pt/FT job, and clubs tend to pay decent (likely to deter theft?). I knew bud tenders getting paid $25+/hr.

In any case, GLGL!
my car is too old then. of course i have a bud rec im living in my car. no way budtenders make $25/hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLNITSGOBROKE View Post
im making more but i might have to quit playing poker full time to do that if theyre making that much
you and me both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2 dog, p2 View Post
why litecoin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_AA View Post
Because bitcoin or ethereum would break the pattern of poor life choices I'm guessing he's made to be in this predicament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esjaysharks View Post
Litecoin is actually a good investment imo. It was $4 a coin a year ago, $25 a month ago, and $44 now. We'll see what happens, though.
litecoin ftw. one of the reasons i want litecoin is because its cheaper than bitcoin and ethereum right now so it has a bigger potential for growth imo(aka im just totally gambling on it). i think(wish) it will outperform other cryptos in the next few years. lower fees than bitcoin. though i plan to buy the other two cryptos also.
Rich Checkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #18
p2 dog, p2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,384
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

so you guys are buying because of the hysteria basically? I thought of doing so myself. I've watched bitcoin soar and continually think "what if I let my withdraws ride....."

I even recently deposited some funds into coinbase and planned on picking up some cryptos but think I'm renigging(that's racist) at this point because I have no reason to buy other than the hysteria.
p2 dog, p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #19
esjaysharks
centurion
 
esjaysharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 143
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2 dog, p2 View Post
so you guys are buying because of the hysteria basically? I thought of doing so myself. I've watched bitcoin soar and continually think "what if I let my withdraws ride....."

I even recently deposited some funds into coinbase and planned on picking up some cryptos but think I'm renigging(that's racist) at this point because I have no reason to buy other than the hysteria.
Basically, yeah. I bought some Litecoin a few weeks ago at $28 each, now it's almost $45, but anything can happen. I'm hoping the same thing OP is: that it takes off to $1,000 a coin and beyond over time.

Best of luck, OP! I'll follow the journey.
esjaysharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #20
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 4,360
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

glgl. I'm afeared of crypto currency. Would be fun to try...
pokerodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #21
p2 dog, p2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,384
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2 dog, p2 View Post
so you guys are buying because of the hysteria basically? I thought of doing so myself. I've watched bitcoin soar and continually think "what if I let my withdraws ride....."

I even recently deposited some funds into coinbase and planned on picking up some cryptos but think I'm renigging(that's racist) at this point because I have no reason to buy other than the hysteria.
I'm not sure I'm using hysteria properly, lmao!

noun
1.
an uncontrollable outburst of emotion or fear, often characterized by irrationality, laughter, weeping, etc.
2.
Psychoanalysis. a psychoneurotic disorder characterized by violent emotional outbreaks, disturbances of sensory and motor functions, and various abnormal effects due to autosuggestion.
p2 dog, p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #22
esjaysharks
centurion
 
esjaysharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 143
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

I was gonna say, hysteria might be pushing it.

Figured you meant hype, and your point was legit.
esjaysharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #23
TommyTsunami
grinder
 
TommyTsunami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago in the Living Room
Posts: 421
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Market hysteria is the proper term- and thats exactly what we're witnessing in the crypto markets at the moment

At this point if they put a gun to my head and made me take a position I'd want to be short. Who knows though, the trends still strong but the panic selling is coming, probably not too long from now.
TommyTsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #24
Rich Checkmaker
banned
 
Rich Checkmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,443
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Hit a jackpot yesterday. I just sat down 30mins in and I get AA. I raise to 21 seat 7 raises to 50 I go all-in and he calls. He asks me "Do you have aces?" "Yes". So I know he has kings. Flop KQx. Lame, he flips up KK and I flip up AA. Turn K. Omg I'm thinking I know it's not going to hit but at the same time I was thinking there were two aces left. Everyone at the table is yelling ace. "Ace on the River" just like Barry Greenstein prophesied. I scream "Jackpot!!!!!" Can this really be happening?
This is what I dream about when I go to the Commerce, having the losing hand in a jackpot and it's happening?? The only way it would be better is if it were a super jackpot.

They recently lowered the jackpot from 25k to 20k, there were only 6 people dealt in so the table share was $1025 the losing hand got $4100 and I got $12,300. They paid me in chips. A pink $5k chip, 5 turquoise 1k chips 22 $100 chips and 4 $25 chips. I didn't take a pic of the hand, but I did take a pic of the chips. I opened up a player account using the jackpot winnings. I still can't believe I hit the jackpot yesterday.
Rich Checkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #25
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 4,360
Re: living out of my car in los angeles....

Awesome. Very exciting. Did you do anything with the money yet?
pokerodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online