Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
I went on Tilt, help

I went on some serious tilt today, and after an amazing night last night, I gave about a quarter of yesterdays winnings back in the space of 10 mins, how do you guys deal with hands like this?

https://www.jivaro.com/profile/deank...0e0d706eba0ac/
deankenny is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Kelvis
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,803
Re: I went on Tilt, help

I'm not sure whether this is a hand that caused you to tilt or this was already on tilt.
Kelvis is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
BroadwaySushy
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: In a basket of deplorables
Posts: 3,237
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Get used to it. Happens all the time at 2nl. It's like being on a roller-coaster. Just hang on and hope you get to the end with your sanity still intact.
BroadwaySushy is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvis View Post
I'm not sure whether this is a hand that caused you to tilt or this was already on tilt.
This sent me on tilt, I don't often go all in here with just top pair (Aces) But I had been watching this guy for a good hour, and had 2 notes on him, he bet all 3 streets with just pockets 3s, with a crazy straighty flushy board, and donked the river. He also went all in twice with just top pair once on the flop and again on the turn. So I had been waiting for a AQ+ hand against him so patiently, finally I get it, hit the ace, praying to god he's got Ax and he has, plan coming together perfectly, fish hooked line and sinkered, but then runner runner diamond!!! gave him the win.
deankenny is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
7OAD
journeyman
 
7OAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 378
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankenny View Post
This sent me on tilt, I don't often go all in here with just top pair (Aces) But I had been watching this guy for a good hour, and had 2 notes on him, he bet all 3 streets with just pockets 3s, with a crazy straighty flushy board, and donked the river. He also went all in twice with just top pair once on the flop and again on the turn. So I had been waiting for a AQ+ hand against him so patiently, finally I get it, hit the ace, praying to god he's got Ax and he has, plan coming together perfectly, fish hooked line and sinkered, but then runner runner diamond!!! gave him the win.
This isn't tilt, tilt would be shoving your 5s in that spot.

Quite frankly, there is nothing wrong with your play if you know he's calling all his acex and flush draws to that shove.

Yes it's not the best play for the majority of players, but 2nl is awful and if people are willing to pay you, feel free to do it, even a small stakes crusher talks about a similar strat here:



Anyways, if that is all it takes to send you on tilt (losing an 80/20), you really need to reevaluate your mindset. I can understand anger, but if losing 80/20s sets you off....well you're gonna be mad 1/5 of the time easily, so you need to find a way to deal with it.

Btw things like this don't make or break you at all, especially at 2NL where one can easily put up 20bb/100.
7OAD is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7OAD View Post
This isn't tilt, tilt would be shoving your 5s in that spot.

Quite frankly, there is nothing wrong with your play if you know he's calling all his acex and flush draws to that shove.

Yes it's not the best play for the majority of players, but 2nl is awful and if people are willing to pay you, feel free to do it, even a small stakes crusher talks about a similar strat here:



Anyways, if that is all it takes to send you on tilt (losing an 80/20), you really need to reevaluate your mindset. I can understand anger, but if losing 80/20s sets you off....well you're gonna be mad 1/5 of the time easily, so you need to find a way to deal with it.

Btw things like this don't make or break you at all, especially at 2NL where one can easily put up 20bb/100.
I am so happy you have quoted Blackrain79, as that is my number 1 resource for trying to crush the micros, I have probably read every word on his website 10 times by now forcing it into my head till I got it set.

By any chance, have you read his paid material, as I am very tempted to buy his book also.
deankenny is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Ray Zee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: montana usa
Posts: 13,965
Re: I went on Tilt, help

if you tilt you must learn not to.

mcdonalds has many ex poker players asking if you would like fries with your hamburger.
Ray Zee is online now  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
7OAD
journeyman
 
7OAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 378
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankenny View Post
I am so happy you have quoted Blackrain79, as that is my number 1 resource for trying to crush the micros, I have probably read every word on his website 10 times by now forcing it into my head till I got it set.

By any chance, have you read his paid material, as I am very tempted to buy his book also.
I have not, but he seems very legit and quite smart, so it would likely be a good investment.
7OAD is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
WereBeer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,653
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Harden up, it's $2 and a very standard beat.

Also generally 3-betting post-flop there would be atrocious, you had notes though so OK I guess.

Think about 3betting pre, it's not mandatory but you have a good hand and nut position.

But mainly, harden up, it's $2 and also this kind of stuff is 100% standard.
WereBeer is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
sixfour
should be called sevenfour
 
sixfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fire Rod Harrington
Posts: 61,776
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Can you actually post a hand history here, I'd probably have commented on a few of your now many threads if you did
sixfour is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #11
BroadwaySushy
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: In a basket of deplorables
Posts: 3,237
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Yeah, I mean tilted at losing $2. Seriously? You want to try losing $300 to a bad beat. Then you are entitled to be tilted.

By the way Blackrains CTM is very good value for these stakes.
BroadwaySushy is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #12
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Hey guys lets not talk about how much it is, or the value, that's not the point, (especially sitting here with a supercar in my garage) the point is the game of poker, they are points to me not money, while I am trying to learn, and move my way up. I'm simply starting at the lowest stakes to better myself, not to moan, begrudge or put others down because "well it's only $2, man up". Especially not knowing the person personally.


So stop with the well it's only $2, since I came into money starting my business, money has been both my downfall and my making so I won't go there, I've made and lost so many friends over having money, that having vast amounts of it is a lesson in itself.

Anyway, to those offering advice, I thank you, and as for hand history, I am clearly new to online poker (well new to treating it seriously at least) so I have no idea how to do any of that stuff, hence I'm in the "beginner" section Currently got a 30 day trial of HEM2 if this is where I would get that kind of stuff.

PS: I have lost £300 in Portsmouth England, Grovesnor Casino, flush beat my straight I didn't tilt because at that time I was playing for fun and £300 is alot more than $2 My point is that was for fun and this is me trying to take poker seriously, it's how I got beat that tilted me not the amount. So again, without knowing me, please don't judge.

In the mean time, I have made the move to purchase Blackrain79s book. Read some decent reviews on it. Especially leading on to his newer book "The Micro Stakes Playbook".

Last edited by deankenny; 04-07-2018 at 08:02 PM.
deankenny is offline  
Old 04-08-2018, 04:11 AM   #13
WereBeer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,653
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankenny View Post
Hey guys lets not talk about how much it is, or the value, that's not the point, (especially sitting here with a supercar in my garage) the point is the game of poker, they are points to me not money, while I am trying to learn, and move my way up. I'm simply starting at the lowest stakes to better myself, not to moan, begrudge or put others down because "well it's only $2, man up". Especially not knowing the person personally.
It is the point though because poker is about the money.

Also sick brag about your car sir. Even more reason to man up because it's only $2.

EDIT

Nothing wrong with playing 2NL and to be fair, yeah beats used to annoy me (although this barely qualifies because it's so standard) but play enough and you just get over it. Or you play for bigger stakes live and stop caring because you've taken multi-hundo beats instead of a cheeseburger.

tl;dr it's $2, move on.
WereBeer is offline  
Old 04-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #14
moxiepilot
journeyman
 
moxiepilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 272
Re: I went on Tilt, help

I’m going to take a different approach here. I think the issue begins with your play of not isolating with a reraise on the button with AQ suited. You’re opening the door to get beat, essentially creating the monster yourself.

Flop you’re aganst a bet then a pot sized reraise and you shove? At a minimum you’re against the flush draw and you have the backdoor, but you’re also up against another ace, if not two, so two pair never entered your mind. What about sets?

Granted the run out is sick, but I think this was all self induced.
moxiepilot is offline  
Old 04-08-2018, 05:35 AM   #15
WorldzMine
old hand
 
WorldzMine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,406
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBeer View Post
It is the point though because poker is about the money.

Also sick brag about your car sir. Even more reason to man up because it's only $2.

EDIT

Nothing wrong with playing 2NL and to be fair, yeah beats used to annoy me (although this barely qualifies because it's so standard) but play enough and you just get over it. Or you play for bigger stakes live and stop caring because you've taken multi-hundo beats instead of a cheeseburger.

tl;dr it's $2, move on.
This is extremely bad advice. While playing 2NL it should hurt to lose a stack. It's 1/20 to 1/40 of your roll that was essentially stolen by varience. While playing you must drop the absolute dollar amounts and think in terms of big blinds and percentage of your roll. Then the game becomes essentially the same no matter what the stakes actually happen to be. Largely the stake level is irrelevant if you are thinking abstractly enough like you should be.
WorldzMine is offline  
Old 04-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #16
WereBeer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,653
Re: I went on Tilt, help

It's ideal to not tilt. It's ideal to play correctly regardless of stakes.

These are not mutually exclusive statements.

Every poker player needs to deal with losing sessions and one of the first techniques to do that is to put the loss into perspective. If you can't deal with a $2 loss by reminding yourself that it's a trivial amount of money, you are not be suited to playing poker.
WereBeer is offline  
Old 04-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
kittrell87
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 143
Re: I went on Tilt, help

I 100% agree with the others that say you should have 3bet pre. Secondly, I will disagree with the above post that you should only be considering your wins and losses in big blinds rather than dollar amounts. In a live 1/3 game how many villains are going to call off right at $300 with AT there? Not many in my opinion. This is why I hate playing micro stakes online because completely dumb moves/calls/shoves don't hurt 99% of people, so they make them...... constantly. So you are going to take waaayyyy more sick beats at micro stakes than larger stakes. I am not recommending you move up, I am just saying that this is the kind of stuff you are going to run into at those stakes. No matter how good you are. And honestly, if the villain was willing to stack off right there, he probably would have called your 3bet pre anyways. But not 3betting these spots pre is asking for some stupid beats.
kittrell87 is offline  
Old 04-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #18
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Some good stuff, thanks guys. Have been reading Blackrain79s paid for book overnight and watching pokervip microstakes series, really am learning a hell of alot than just keep tight and bet when you got it I knew position was important, but I have just studied a whole other level to it, exciting stuff
deankenny is offline  
Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #19
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Well guys, just an update, instead of starting a new thread as someone mentioned i was doing too many ill add it here.

I have finished Blackrain79s book, and went on and watched about 10 hours worth of youtube microcash videos, aswell as some twitch streamers. I know this is a miniscule hand amount, but it's all i've got since I finished reading and watching things to better my game, and this is my first session since that.

deankenny is offline  
Old 04-10-2018, 05:07 AM   #20
DrawNone
Pooh-Bah
 
DrawNone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,963
Re: I went on Tilt, help

good job man keep it up
DrawNone is offline  
Old 04-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #21
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawNone View Post
good job man keep it up
Cheers bud, here is my total graph, as you can clearly see along this graph I have clearly bettered my game, I am enjoying poker so much more now, being comfortable in spots where I used to stress myself out before.

deankenny is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 AM   #22
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Played another session 6 tabling throughout the night, still going strong, have attached my session graph then total graph.

Might keep charts updated here like a journal kind of thing, from a tilting money giver to a solid microstake player (credit to blackrain79). Got a bad beat near the beginning of my session last night, but did not go on tilt, I just put some music on and got on with it, and I was rewarded thusly for doing so




Last edited by deankenny; 04-11-2018 at 03:26 AM.
deankenny is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #23
Kelvis
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,803
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Be aware that you're winning at nearly 18bb/100 in this (very small) sample and this is likely unsustainable. In other words, losses might very well come.
Kelvis is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #24
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvis View Post
Be aware that you're winning at nearly 18bb/100 in this (very small) sample and this is likely unsustainable. In other words, losses might very well come.
Indeed I am aware of this, variance will soon show it's ugly side, I'm prepared

I have already managed to get over my biggest weakness (and whole point for this thread) which is tilt. Proved with todays bad beats, where I just got on with it with some help from Bon Jovi, and a few printed out messages to myself put on the wall above my monitor to remind myself of a few things in tough situations.
deankenny is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #25
deankenny
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Re: I went on Tilt, help

Ok, for anyone that is interested in my journey, I shall continue with todays mini session and graph and finally my totals graph.

Also I have provided a link to my twitch stream upon where I streamed tonights session
If anyone has a little bit of time to watch over parts of it, and tell me areas I could improve or better myself in would be great.

Twitch stream link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/249324919##

Tonight session:


Updated total graph:

Last edited by deankenny; 04-11-2018 at 09:07 PM.
deankenny is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online