Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Goals & Challenges Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #76
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzztacular View Post
Hey man just wanted to chime in. You came to this forum not looking for advice about stopping to play, but rather continuing your goals for poker. You can't blame us for telling you stop playing - you've lost too much money than you can afford and should be focused on paying off your debts, and getting rid of your bad habits (poker). But I know you're not gonna stop playing, at least not yet. So I'll give you some poker-related advice.

The way you're approaching the game is a losing one – you're looking to make $, rather than to get better. The only way you can become a winning player is to lose the mentality of trying to make money, and instead try to make the most +EV decisions in the long run. You need to be diligent about reviewing hands. I mean 3-4 hands in depth AT LEAST from every session. You should be posting on here and asking users for feedback. Approach the game with intellectual curiosity, rather than emotional dependency. This practice of constant review and improvement is a way to build sustainable success in the long run. You're treating this last $50 as though your life depends on it, which isn't gonna help you win. Emotional attachment to money in poker will be your greatest downfall.

Someone once told me stupidity is defined as repeating the same mistakes over and over. You are finally practicing bankroll management which is a good first step. But go further. Buy a sub to a training site. Take studying seriously. Stop focusing on what's in your bankroll. Review hands from every session. Try to start actually improving your skills rather than just playing hoping hoping and hoping your bankroll will grow because in the long run it won't without a ton of skill improvement. Send brokenstars a PM asking very nicely if he's still willing to give you a free coaching session. You won't profit in poker by getting Aces vs Kings and running well (you'll be on the flip side of that coin just as often in the long run). You profit by making plays that other people aren't and having a superior strategy.

It's not as hard as you think it is to become a winning player. But as others have mentioned, you need to put in the work. And that means away from the table. Don't repeat the same pattern and mindset of losing. If you can't enact that level of discipline to get yourself studying, you will continue to lose. Give yourself a kick in the ass and change your whole mindset. It's a fresh start. The 50k is in the past so stop trying to win it back. Start trying to improve.

Now these are the kind of words of encouragement I was looking for! Thank you sir.

It seem's that I have gotten this thread off to a really bad start. Either everyone is so caught up in the amount I have lost, or I am not fully articulating what it is that I am trying to say.

I have every intention of getting some hand histories in here, I just haven't gotten around to it yet (I am still re-familiarizing myself with the WPN software as I hadn't played on there in a year or so. Specifically I am having trouble getting hand histories. But my intention is to post hands where I am unsure of my line and ask for advice and constructive critisim)

Actually, I am not looking at the money at all (other than in terms of # of Buy-ins for whatever level I am playing.) I am ONLY interested in improving as a player, and being able to beat the game and move up in stakes. The money will come with the improved skill.

At some point I will do a twitch or a live stream. While I am certainly not good, I really am not nearly as bad as you folks think I am....

I don't have access to PM for some reason (perhaps because I literally just made this account on Tuesday?) but I do hope to get some coaching at some point. But again, I really think my problem is rooted in patience and discipline more than anything. When and if I do get a coaching session, if they can show me otherwise I will certainly be glad to make any adjustments needed to improve my game. But often time (like 80 to 90% of the time) I know when I am making a bad move, but just haven't had the discipline to reverse course. But again, I am trying to change that.

In any event. I am here to learn. I am here to improve. This wasn't some pity party thread, this wasn't a cry for attention. This was an honest to god attempt at finding some help to improve my game. I don't see any reason why I can't be a winning poker player, but I also at times don't fully know why I am a losing player either. Obviously, making those big lay downs will help a lot. But I'm sure it can't just be that, can it? I expect in a month or two that I will have gotten better and playing tight and making those folds when I need to, but I still expect to be a more or less break even player at that point (If i am not, then hot damn! I found my leak) and at that point, once I have started to develop some good habits, I will very much actively seek out more advice and coaching. Right now, I am just trying to learn how to not go broke. Gotta do that before I can really learn how to win money, right?
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #77
fuzztacular
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 45
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawLuck View Post
Now these are the kind of words of encouragement I was looking for! Thank you sir.

It seem's that I have gotten this thread off to a really bad start. Either everyone is so caught up in the amount I have lost, or I am not fully articulating what it is that I am trying to say.

I have every intention of getting some hand histories in here, I just haven't gotten around to it yet (I am still re-familiarizing myself with the WPN software as I hadn't played on there in a year or so. Specifically I am having trouble getting hand histories. But my intention is to post hands where I am unsure of my line and ask for advice and constructive critisim)

Actually, I am not looking at the money at all (other than in terms of # of Buy-ins for whatever level I am playing.) I am ONLY interested in improving as a player, and being able to beat the game and move up in stakes. The money will come with the improved skill.

At some point I will do a twitch or a live stream. While I am certainly not good, I really am not nearly as bad as you folks think I am....

I don't have access to PM for some reason (perhaps because I literally just made this account on Tuesday?) but I do hope to get some coaching at some point. But again, I really think my problem is rooted in patience and discipline more than anything. When and if I do get a coaching session, if they can show me otherwise I will certainly be glad to make any adjustments needed to improve my game. But often time (like 80 to 90% of the time) I know when I am making a bad move, but just haven't had the discipline to reverse course. But again, I am trying to change that.

In any event. I am here to learn. I am here to improve. This wasn't some pity party thread, this wasn't a cry for attention. This was an honest to god attempt at finding some help to improve my game. I don't see any reason why I can't be a winning poker player, but I also at times don't fully know why I am a losing player either. Obviously, making those big lay downs will help a lot. But I'm sure it can't just be that, can it? I expect in a month or two that I will have gotten better and playing tight and making those folds when I need to, but I still expect to be a more or less break even player at that point (If i am not, then hot damn! I found my leak) and at that point, once I have started to develop some good habits, I will very much actively seek out more advice and coaching. Right now, I am just trying to learn how to not go broke. Gotta do that before I can really learn how to win money, right?
Awesome man, glad to hear it. Looking forward to seeing some hands on here. You've mentioned the idea of learning how to not lose money before you can win money. I don't agree with those two ideas being mutually exclusive. Having the "discipline" to make tight folds only comes from a well thought out approach. I thought that way when I was a losing player too. I learned that you need to have good reasons why you're taking the actions you're taking, rather than taking them for the sake of taking them (i.e. "making big lay-downs"). Fixing your "bad habits" will go hand in hand with studying and becoming better and more fundamentally sound – trust me.

I'm also more than willing to help you with your game if you want – feel free to PM me and you can add me on Skype. I mostly play low-mid stakes MTTs and live cash but I'll still for sure be able to help you with your fundamentals and thought processes.
fuzztacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #78
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzztacular View Post
Awesome man, glad to hear it. Looking forward to seeing some hands on here. You've mentioned the idea of learning how to not lose money before you can win money. I don't agree with those two ideas being mutually exclusive. Having the "discipline" to make tight folds only comes from a well thought out approach. I thought that way when I was a losing player too. I learned that you need to have good reasons why you're taking the actions you're taking, rather than taking them for the sake of taking them (i.e. "making big lay-downs"). Fixing your "bad habits" will go hand in hand with studying and becoming better and more fundamentally sound – trust me.

I'm also more than willing to help you with your game if you want – feel free to PM me and you can add me on Skype. I mostly play low-mid stakes MTTs and live cash but I'll still for sure be able to help you with your fundamentals and thought processes.
Well the reason I say that is because I've been studying since 09 or 10 oh how to "win" money, and I am fairly well versed in those skill sets. Playing in position, hand selection (perhaps not as diligent as I should be, I get splashy and laggish too often) value betting, pot odds, implied odds, fold equity, +Ev moves. All of this is great. It has taken me from a guy that would be a break even or a small winner for a few sessions (before going broke) to a player who ran $200 into $4.4K in about 3 weeks one time (before going broke.) I don't think my issue is how much I can or can't win at the table (I honestly think I have that covered. But in the future, once I start getting some HH in here, everyone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong) the issue is I never seem to preserve what I do win. Not quitting while I am ahead is a big problem.

I really wont have time to do much tonight I don't think, and then I know Friday and Saturday will be no go's, but hopefully Sunday I can devote some time to getting my **** together. I actually have never used a HUD before, so I am going to get me a couple of free trials and see which one I like best. I also am going to make a Skype account. Once I do, I will definitely be glad to hit you up and see if we can't work on some of these leaks!

I have thought about making the switch to MTT's full time but it's such a time commitment, and I work 50ish hours a week and have a toddler, so I don't get as much time to dedicate to playing as I would like (and the ability to just get up and leave a cash game whenever I want or need to is definitely a plus! Tuesday's 30 player MTT not withstanding) I actually prefer to play tourney's (the goal would be to eventually be a full time tourney grinder and leave the cash games alone completely) but that would be pretty tough to do right now. I MAY make the switch to a full time SNG's grind instead of cash, but at the micro's there aren't a ton of SNG's running, plus I don't think I'm good enough to be a winning player at that game (but then again, up to this point I haven't been a winning player at cash either. I expect to be winning at $2Nl, but hell even that could be a pipe dream!)
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #79
WorldzMine
old hand
 
WorldzMine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,269
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badreg2017 View Post
If I was I was trying to play online instead of live and I was in the middle of a 3 way and brokenstars offered me free coaching now or never I’d take him up on it and tell the women to wait.
That's going a little far, he's just a normal reg lol People seem to jizz themselves lately just because someone moved up to midstakes. No offense of course to broken who seems like a good guy and a good player.
WorldzMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #80
SpinMeRightRound
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawLuck View Post
And in all honesty. Even though I totally fit the criteria. I do not think I am a gambling addict, I just think I am a losing poker player. Poker players lose over the long term because they haven't improved there game. Gambling addicts lose over the long term because they are risking more and more and more in search of that gamblers high. I don't do that.
Yes from first impressions, I didn't think you were an addict. Just someone who plays poker and probably has a few weaknesses in their game here and there. Losing $50k over 10 years at midstakes is perfectly possible with a marginally losing win rate and playing lots of hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldzMine View Post
That's going a little far, he's just a normal reg lol People seem to jizz themselves lately just because someone moved up to midstakes. No offense of course to broken who seems like a good guy and a good player.
Mid stakes these days in NLHE is effectively high stakes, given how little action there is at actual high stakes.
SpinMeRightRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #81
barney big nuts
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 364
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenstars View Post
You playing tonight? Got Skype? Want free coaching for an evening?
solid
barney big nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #82
Kelvis
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,636
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMeRightRound View Post
Yes from first impressions, I didn't think you were an addict. Just someone who plays poker and probably has a few weaknesses in their game here and there. Losing $50k over 10 years at midstakes is perfectly possible with a marginally losing win rate and playing lots of hands.

Mid stakes these days in NLHE is effectively high stakes, given how little action there is at actual high stakes.
Yes totally possible. What is not possible for a non gambling addict is racking up $40k in debt and not once cashing out in a whole ten years.

OP you have a toddler; quit gambling. If you enjoy playing then go to play money tables.
Kelvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #83
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvis View Post
Yes totally possible. What is not possible for a non gambling addict is racking up $40k in debt and not once cashing out in a whole ten years.

OP you have a toddler; quit gambling. If you enjoy playing then go to play money tables.
Yes, but I also have a $45k a year job. I am not destitute here people.
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #84
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvis View Post
Yes totally possible. What is not possible for a non gambling addict is racking up $40k in debt and not once cashing out in a whole ten years.

OP you have a toddler; quit gambling. If you enjoy playing then go to play money tables.
Also I have effectively "withdrawn" from live poker plenty of times (so to speak.)

I am sure I am still net down from playing live, but I have won several thousand dollars that I have been able to use for other things besides just donating back to the poker table. Just because I haven't withdrawn any money off of an online poker site doesn't mean I haven't ever been able to reap a little rewards from the table. Hell, I still play on a Guitar and Rig that I bought with poker winnings. I am not a complete degenerate. Just mostly!
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #85
WorldzMine
old hand
 
WorldzMine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,269
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Winning means winning overall though, not certain sessions.
WorldzMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #86
Kelvis
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,636
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

I put $1000 on red and win

Buy a TV

Put $1000 on red again and lose

"I bought myself a TV with my winnings"
Kelvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #87
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldzMine View Post
Winning means winning overall though, not certain sessions.
I am well aware. I was just point out that when he focuses on the fact that I have never made a withdrawal, like if I had withdrawn a few thousand over the years it would make somewhat of a difference in my skill level. I was just point out that I have won a few thousand playing live. Am I still a net loser, oh **** yeah. By a whole lot.

In any event, I am here to get better. I am not like those other guys, I know i am not a great player, and I want to get better. I'm not one of those guys that just walks around thinking I am great and I have nothing to learn. I'm reading 6betMe's thread as we speak. Holy ****....

Also read TyTytheFly's thread. Ouch. Been there, albeit to a smaller degree. I used to think if I just had a bankroll I wouldn't go broke. Then I finally built up a $4.4K bank roll of a single buy in at $200NL. Then I went broke....

I am trying to learn from other peoples mistakes as well as my own, and I am trying to start at the bottom and slowly (very slowly) build a roll and move up the stakes until I am eventually playing the levels I used to play at (only this time I will have the proper roll and have hopefully put in the necessary hours of practice and study to be a winning player at those stakes)
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #88
Kelvis
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,636
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
I'm reading 6betMe's thread as we speak. Holy ****....
That's actually good because that means there isn't much on top of that I could possibly say in this thread. He got so much advice it's insane. It now serves as a library for all others.
Kelvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #89
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvis View Post
I put $1000 on red and win

Buy a TV

Put $1000 on red again and lose

"I bought myself a TV with my winnings"
Exactly! Professional Roulette player now.

Also, true story. Last time I played live I ended up losing most of my buy-in (ran AQ into AK, I knew I was beat. I even said "you've got ace kind?" as I toss in chips to call. I know I have said it before, and I'll say it again. That's the biggest thing I have to change. Calling when I know I am beat...) so I leave the table with whatever I had left (I think it was like $38 or something along those lines) and I take it to a BJ table and run it up to around $100ish. As I am playing there is a young guy there who was just learning the game, but was eager to play basic strategy, so I am explaining the concept hand for hand. Anyway, he does well, and apparently is back to even after having lost several hundred earlier in the night. Eventually he gets up and leaves.

So as I am walking out about an hour later he literally stops me on my way out and tells me he just took all of his money and put it on red. "So your broke?" "Nope, it hit on red" and he pulls out 2 $500 dollar chips out of his pocket. He is high as a kite on that adrenaline and he just darts off before I could tell him by degenerate stories and how he should take his ****ing winnings and leave..... I never saw him again, but I can only assume he went broke that night.....
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #90
Fatboy54
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,687
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Last post by 6bet me 30/7; first post by op 31/7

hhhhmmmmm
Fatboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #91
Nepeeme2008
journeyman
 
Nepeeme2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: In position
Posts: 253
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Wow dude, great stuff, I guess.
At first I was enthralled, at the end, just plain puzzled.
I'm not a crusher but I soon realized what everyone else did.
Dear sir, you mentioned, making a living from poker is the dream.
Dear sir, you are the dream. Hundreds, if not thousands of successful poker players were able to realize the dream of making it in poker because of you and others like you.

Forget it. You'll never be a winning player. The sooner you come to grips with that truth the better.
After that, you can start playing poker for recreation. No, I won't tell you to quit, that's nonsense. I know, no matter what anyone says you won't and, if it's fun you shouldn't. But, once you admit you're a loser( at poker, no offense), you can make the adjustment to someone who plays just for fun. Join a poker league for example, where they play 20 dollar buy in tournaments.

Good luck!
Nepeeme2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #92
fityfmi
old hand
 
fityfmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Only the ladder is real.
Posts: 1,680
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

If you want to be helped, do as I say.

Go to https://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-...quilab-holdem/ and download equilab.

Assume you are playing at a 6max table. Use the software to sketch what you think you should be openraising from UTG, HJ, CO, BTN. If you are thinking something along the lines of "well, that depends on the table", throw that thought out the window. What you are sketching is your default play. Take pictures of the 4 opening ranges and post them in the thread.

I'll get back to you when you have posted.
fityfmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #93
.isolated
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
.isolated's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Queen Jennie slays Kings.
Posts: 16,646
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

^^^^^ That's a good idea.

Also, subbed
.isolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #94
venice10
Referee
 
venice10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere special
Posts: 22,621
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawLuck View Post
I was just point out that I have won a few thousand playing live. Am I still a net loser, oh **** yeah. By a whole lot.
You have a lot of misconceptions about the game and yourself. The statement above summarizes one of the misconceptions you have. You have stated numerous times that you feel you need to learn when to leave the table when you're up.

The reality is that as David Sklansky wrote years ago is that poker is just one long session. It doesn't matter when you start and when you stop playing. You keep wanting to looking at when you took $200 and ran it up to $4400. You're proud of that. The objective person outside is looking at it as you started at -$40,000 at one point and managed to get to -$35,600 before going back to -$40,000.

Once you have this perspective on your game, you'll stop posting about how you "won" a few thousand. You never "won" anything.

The only other piece of advice is to stick to one game. MTT, SNG and cash games emphasize different aspects of poker. You won't get good enough to have a sustainable advantage in any one of them if you keep hopping games. You need to pick one and stick with it, likely for a couple of years. Don't move up until you've won 20 buyins for the game you're playing.

I know that sounds boring, but if you really "love the game," you'll do it. But as I said above, I don't think you "love the game." You're addicted to gambling. Your actions will tell everyone which one of us is correct.
venice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #95
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepeeme2008 View Post
Wow dude, great stuff, I guess.
At first I was enthralled, at the end, just plain puzzled.
I'm not a crusher but I soon realized what everyone else did.
Dear sir, you mentioned, making a living from poker is the dream.
Dear sir, you are the dream. Hundreds, if not thousands of successful poker players were able to realize the dream of making it in poker because of you and others like you.

Forget it. You'll never be a winning player. The sooner you come to grips with that truth the better.
After that, you can start playing poker for recreation. No, I won't tell you to quit, that's nonsense. I know, no matter what anyone says you won't and, if it's fun you shouldn't. But, once you admit you're a loser( at poker, no offense), you can make the adjustment to someone who plays just for fun. Join a poker league for example, where they play 20 dollar buy in tournaments.

Good luck!
Well I have admitted to being a losing poker player several times throughout this thread, I mean just look at the title.... but why can't I learn from my mistakes and become a winning poker player?
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #96
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by fityfmi View Post
If you want to be helped, do as I say.

Go to https://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-...quilab-holdem/ and download equilab.

Assume you are playing at a 6max table. Use the software to sketch what you think you should be openraising from UTG, HJ, CO, BTN. If you are thinking something along the lines of "well, that depends on the table", throw that thought out the window. What you are sketching is your default play. Take pictures of the 4 opening ranges and post them in the thread.

I'll get back to you when you have posted.
Good deal! I will check that out. It's probably going to be Sunday before I will have a chance (got my son the next couple of days) but I will definitely get into that bad boy!
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #97
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice10 View Post
You have a lot of misconceptions about the game and yourself. The statement above summarizes one of the misconceptions you have. You have stated numerous times that you feel you need to learn when to leave the table when you're up.

The reality is that as David Sklansky wrote years ago is that poker is just one long session. It doesn't matter when you start and when you stop playing. You keep wanting to looking at when you took $200 and ran it up to $4400. You're proud of that. The objective person outside is looking at it as you started at -$40,000 at one point and managed to get to -$35,600 before going back to -$40,000.

Once you have this perspective on your game, you'll stop posting about how you "won" a few thousand. You never "won" anything.

The only other piece of advice is to stick to one game. MTT, SNG and cash games emphasize different aspects of poker. You won't get good enough to have a sustainable advantage in any one of them if you keep hopping games. You need to pick one and stick with it, likely for a couple of years. Don't move up until you've won 20 buyins for the game you're playing.

I know that sounds boring, but if you really "love the game," you'll do it. But as I said above, I don't think you "love the game." You're addicted to gambling. Your actions will tell everyone which one of us is correct.
I have to disagree. Every serious poker player will say you shouldn't play if you are tired, if you are on tilt, not focused, whatever. Well, for me, once I start to lose I go on tilt and get very unfocused. So the leaving while I am ahead or up a significant amount is as much about mental preservation as it is financial preservation.

Last edited by OutlawLuck; 08-03-2018 at 09:27 AM.
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #98
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice10 View Post

The only other piece of advice is to stick to one game. MTT, SNG and cash games emphasize different aspects of poker. You won't get good enough to have a sustainable advantage in any one of them if you keep hopping games. You need to pick one and stick with it, likely for a couple of years. Don't move up until you've won 20 buyins for the game you're playing.

.

That's the plan (as stated) at least as far as moving up the stakes are concerned. Right now, I am focused on cash games. While I much prefer SNG's and MTT's over cash, to reach the level I want, cash will be a better game structure to get there. Granted, I will have to work harder, but that's a good thing. Obviously I was missing the mark quite a bit before. I need to start at the bottom and work on my fundamentals.
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #99
OutlawLuck
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 140
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

So, I wasn't planning on playing last night, but I ended up squeezing in a 3 hour session before bed. More of the same. Up on 2 tables, down on 2 others, finishing the night basically break even. +$0.68 but I'll take it. I'll take winning 1/3 of a buy-in over losing several buy-ins (which is what I have been doing as of late.)

So there was one hand I got into that turned out to be quite eventful. Let me know what you guys think. At first I thought I was making a great play (until I got called on the river) upon further reflection (results not withstanding) I thought I was out of line. Now, upon even more reflection after a nights sleep, I see merit in both lines and I really don't know how I feel about my play.

2NL
Hero: BB with 99xx and 110BB
villain: SB with 105BB
Folds around to the SB who min raises.
Hero: 3B to $0.12 SB calls. Pot= $0.24
Flop: K82r
villain: leads out for $0.16
Hero: Min raises Villain tanks for awhile and then calls. Pot = $0.56
Turn: 4x (off suit)
villain: Bets $0.12
Hero: raises all in and villain tanks for almost all of there time bank before making the call. Villain Shows AKo
River: 9 Hero Scoops

So here is my thought process behind this hand. Please let me know if I was out of line or not. Initially the min-raise struck me as a standard play, possible to steal the blinds, or maybe just because. The bet on the flop didn't worry me, as I would have expected the initial raiser to continue with just about any holdings on any board. My raise on the flop really was to test the waters, if they called, I figured I was beat. Of course the most ideal situation was for them to fold or call with a worse hand (but that is very unlikely.) Had they snapped called, or even called after just a couple of seconds I would have totally given up, but the amount of tanking time just made it feel like a weak call. I want to say the K and the 8 were both clubs, so maybe an Ax flush draw perhaps. Either way, it just felt weak at the time. The bet on the turn also felt weak. villain sized down, almost like it was scared money. I jam, in my mind bluffing. I expect our villain to wither have the flush draw I mentioned (or some other ****ty flush draw, a lot of random suited hands turning up at showdowns in these games...) or perhaps a 1010,JJ,or QQ. All of which I totally expected to get a lay down from with that all in bet. The super long tank also sort of solidified my opinion that I was fairly on the money with my range assessment. Until of course they finally make the call at the last minute and turn over AK. Well, apparently my semi-bluff almost work. Considering they had TPTK and I got them to contemplate a fold here, pretty decent move if you ask me. I was sort of curious why they didn't snap call, or at least call quicker than they did. Oh well, GG I guess. Except of course that river card came out and it was favorable as AN says. I even told them in chat that I was sorry for the suck out and that I didn't put them on a King at all.

So was I completely out of line here? Let me know your thoughts. And before you say it, yes I know, I am playing too tricky for the mircros. Remember, I have been playing $1/$2 and $2/$4 mostly before this. I am still in the adjusting phase. But that being said, honestly, these players seem just as good if not better than the mid stakes players, in fact $2/$4 players seem to be the easiest players to play against. I honestly think if $10K appeared in my account tomorrow I could be a winner at that game. But then again, I have always went broke at that game eventually, so what do I know?
OutlawLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #100
Kelvis
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,636
Re: Confessions of a losing poker player….

I'm actually highly confident you're trolling now. If not; holy **** you were lucky to only burn $50k in 10 years.
Kelvis is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online