Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Blogs and Goals Post your threads logging your travels up the poker ladder as you achieve your poker goals and dreams. "Challenges" does NOT mean prop bets, wagers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2020, 08:09 AM   #1401
CrunchyBlack
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CrunchyBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 8=====D~~~
Posts: 7,472
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

You got this Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss
CrunchyBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #1402
1BigOT
adept
 
1BigOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

At this point might as well be in for freeroll (:
1BigOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #1403
Zachbb42
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 54
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

In for free roll but wishing you luck


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zachbb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #1404
Clanty
veteran
 
Clanty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 2,674
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbissick View Post
Think it's time to tell my wife about this
How long is too long before we need to call for a search party?
Clanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:38 AM   #1405
TheTyman9
Pooh-Bah
 
TheTyman9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: gym? you betcha...
Posts: 4,576
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanty View Post
How long is too long before we need to call for a search party?
TheTyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #1406
bbissick
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,260
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyBlack View Post
You got this Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss
Thanks, need all the support I can get.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigOT View Post
At this point might as well be in for freeroll (:
Might as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachbb42 View Post
In for free roll but wishing you luck


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanty View Post
How long is too long before we need to call for a search party?
I told her last night, she wasn't too mad, more annoyed that I'll probably be spending more time working than hanging out with her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTyman9 View Post
4k is 4k, it's not the end of the world to lose but I will feel like a lazy POS if I don't get this done.

Freeroll

Still aiming to get this done, as It mostly just leads to a really grindy week. Which is ok, I can suck it up for 8 days.

Pace is at 42,320 as of today. So the plan is:

Today:5k
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: 5k
Friday:7k
Saturday:7k
Sunday:5k
Monday:Off
Tuesday:4k

That should bring me to 75,300 approx. Also not gonna mass multi table as that kind of ruins the whole point of the freeroll. If games are good and it's only 500 I'll grind 10-12. 8-9 is my sweet spot and if any higher games run I try to get down to 6-7.

Week 25: June 15th-June 21st

1. 33.93 hours of Poker Yearly Goal: 809.37/1800

2. 0 hours of Mental Health Yearly Goal: 12.11/75

3. 1.5 hours of Fitness Yearly Goal: 56.38/200

Poker

Playing well overall, calling river a bit too much when i'm heavy on the tables but other than that think I'm getting in a decent groove. Still running ridiculously hot this year which makes everything easier. I did have 2 small friend/family BBQ's this weekend that did cut a bit into weekend hours but always nice to be social amid the chaos that is the USA.

Was considering firing somewhat heavy for the WSOP bracelet schedule, but the rake they gave the tournaments is completely ridiculous and I want a bit of a break so I will fire a few (6m, perhaps the freezeout) but will probably just own dime it, and maybe give my mom 5% so she doesn't get too mad either

July will be a lot less playing, but mostly a ton of coaching, going to have 12 DB analysis/leak finders the first two weeks of the month.

Health

Eh, the homeworkouts have ceased and I'm definitely feeling more lethargic not as in great shape. My wife is absolutely putting me to shame here, although the local tennis courts have opened so we've been playing there.

I used to play in HS, so it's something I'd definitely want to get into. But yeah in general I am struggling a bit with sleep and my overall routine.

The Crohn's has been really under control the last year and change which is awesome so overall not much to complain about.

House

Pretty much done with most of the upgrades, things of that nature

Financial advisor

Looking for one, if anyone has any personal recommendations, I'd be keen to hear from you!


Hands:

1.) very sigh

PartyGaming - $5 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 137.66 BB
BB: 148.91 BB
UTG: 475.45 BB
Hero (MP): 100 BB
CO: 359.55 BB
BTN: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K A

fold, Hero raises to 2.2 BB, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to 10 BB, Hero calls 7.8 BB

Flop: (20.5 BB, 2 players) J 8 K
BB bets 5.85 BB, Hero calls 5.85 BB

Turn: (32.2 BB, 2 players) 2
BB bets 21.42 BB, Hero calls 21.42 BB

River: (75.05 BB, 2 players) 4
BB bets 111.64 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 62.73 BB and is all-in

BB shows 5 A (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 32%, Flop 6%, Turn 20%)
Hero mucks K A (One Pair, Kings)
(Pre 68%, Flop 94%, Turn 80%)
BB wins 48.91 BB
BB wins 199.9 BB
bbissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #1407
TheTyman9
Pooh-Bah
 
TheTyman9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: gym? you betcha...
Posts: 4,576
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Re: financial advisor, just make sure you find someone who is fee based (aka you pay them an hourly instead of them taking a % of your investments) and make sure they are a fiduciary. A fiduciary is legally required to give advice that is in your best interest. A ton of "financial advisors" are not a fiduciary and can lead you to do whatever is actually in their best financial interest instead of yours. Really anyone is allowed to call themselves a financial advisor which is why a lot of "financial advisors" are actually just salesmen trying to get you to put money in their terrible products (whole life insurance etc). I'm not an expert by any means but I enjoy personal finance stuff so feel free to ask if you have any questions, always happy to point people in the right directions for the more basic stuff.
TheTyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #1408
Lego05
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 24,376
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbissick View Post

Financial advisor

Looking for one, if anyone has any personal recommendations, I'd be keen to hear from you!
I'm an attorney in NJ. Personally, I do work in estate planning, estate administration, corporate organization, corporate transactions (mergers & acquisitions, etc.), general corporate matters, commercial loans and some healthcare matters (generally as it overlaps with transactional matters). The firm provides services in additional areas.

Anyway, I know many different financial advisors through work; mostly from the estate planning work.

If you want, I could give you a few names and contact information and you could reach out to them and see if any of them are a fit for you. PM me if you'd like.
Lego05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #1409
pokerarb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
pokerarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,089
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

RE FA, don't hire one. Manage your own finances. Rake is too high for the average FA relative to diversifying and indexing on your own. You also won't be able to discern who is good and worth paying.

If you want to discuss markets/retirement etc further shoot me an insta dm. Happy to help for free
pokerarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #1410
max85
veteran
 
max85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,289
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

i doubt you need an "advisor" mate. Most of these people dont have 2 cents to rub together anyway.

Property in australia has been the best investment. Subdividing and selling land or even developing homes to be sold. Or, depending on the market in NJ, buy an investment, do a small refurb, then rent out and perhaps generate positive cashflow, or use the newfound equity to purchase another.

I would steer clear of the markets etc
max85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #1411
Lego05
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 24,376
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerarb View Post
RE FA, don't hire one. Manage your own finances. Rake is too high for the average FA relative to diversifying and indexing on your own. You also won't be able to discern who is good and worth paying.
I don't necessarily disagree with this either though, unless maybe if you have a whole lot to invest or you feel better having someone rather than trying to figure it out on your own or just guessing at different funds to put it into and different asset class allocations to use.

The majority of my money I have invested is just in a few exchange traded funds (which is similar to an index fund). I don't really know that much about investing.

Last edited by Lego05; 06-23-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Lego05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:39 AM   #1412
Rutledge Smitty
old hand
 
Rutledge Smitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twitch.tv/SmittyPLO
Posts: 1,383
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

I’ve always been of the belief that financial advisors (for the most part) are not worth it. You’re a smart guy and can probably figure out the basics just through the internet. Surprisingly solid stuff on reddit personal finance pages, mr money mustache is decent for basic fundamentals etc.

I have my money invested in various index funds as well as real estate and some retirement funds. Not saying all are bad / not worth it, but imo much more cost effective to do it yourself which is the point of investing in the first place.
Rutledge Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:47 AM   #1413
WhoWhoOwl
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 229
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

In for the freeroll as well. Can't pass that up.
WhoWhoOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:10 AM   #1414
bbissick
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,260
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTyman9 View Post
Re: financial advisor, just make sure you find someone who is fee based (aka you pay them an hourly instead of them taking a % of your investments) and make sure they are a fiduciary. A fiduciary is legally required to give advice that is in your best interest. A ton of "financial advisors" are not a fiduciary and can lead you to do whatever is actually in their best financial interest instead of yours. Really anyone is allowed to call themselves a financial advisor which is why a lot of "financial advisors" are actually just salesmen trying to get you to put money in their terrible products (whole life insurance etc). I'm not an expert by any means but I enjoy personal finance stuff so feel free to ask if you have any questions, always happy to point people in the right directions for the more basic stuff.
Ok awesome, I'm already learning, thanks for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego05 View Post
I'm an attorney in NJ. Personally, I do work in estate planning, estate administration, corporate organization, corporate transactions (mergers & acquisitions, etc.), general corporate matters, commercial loans and some healthcare matters (generally as it overlaps with transactional matters). The firm provides services in additional areas.

Anyway, I know many different financial advisors through work; mostly from the estate planning work.

If you want, I could give you a few names and contact information and you could reach out to them and see if any of them are a fit for you. PM me if you'd like.
Sounds great, Pmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerarb View Post
RE FA, don't hire one. Manage your own finances. Rake is too high for the average FA relative to diversifying and indexing on your own. You also won't be able to discern who is good and worth paying.

If you want to discuss markets/retirement etc further shoot me an insta dm. Happy to help for free
Pm'ed as well! This is interesting though, is there a certain $$$ threshold where you think it's worth having a FA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by max85 View Post
i doubt you need an "advisor" mate. Most of these people dont have 2 cents to rub together anyway.

Property in australia has been the best investment. Subdividing and selling land or even developing homes to be sold. Or, depending on the market in NJ, buy an investment, do a small refurb, then rent out and perhaps generate positive cashflow, or use the newfound equity to purchase another.

I would steer clear of the markets etc
Hey man, I agree it's definitely not a necessity! I guess I'm kinda trying to dip my toes in and see what happens as I have some financial flexibility going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego05 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with this either though, unless maybe if you have a whole lot to invest or you feel better having someone rather than trying to figure it out on your own or just guessing at different funds to put it into and different asset class allocations to use.

The majority of my money I have invested is just in a few exchange traded funds (which is similar to an index fund). I don't really know that much about investing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutledge Smitty View Post
I’ve always been of the belief that financial advisors (for the most part) are not worth it. You’re a smart guy and can probably figure out the basics just through the internet. Surprisingly solid stuff on reddit personal finance pages, mr money mustache is decent for basic fundamentals etc.

I have my money invested in various index funds as well as real estate and some retirement funds. Not saying all are bad / not worth it, but imo much more cost effective to do it yourself which is the point of investing in the first place.
I'll have to check out reddit. I'm not really financially educated although I have made good decisions with my money mostly by just listening to people smarter than me which might be why a FA appeals.

Anyway not really gung ho on it either way. I've gotten to the point where I don't have to keep growing my roll as im rolled for 5k (even though it never runs ) and im earning a good deal more than my expenses so seems like a good deal to be smart with my money so I'm in great shape when my poker career is over.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWhoOwl View Post
In for the freeroll as well. Can't pass that up.
Nope, I made a good dent today though!


Played 6,748 hands today over 9.5 hours of play, def one of the longer days I've played. Played like **** first session, played tolerable the 2nd session but ran very poorly for the day. Ended up losing 5k or so. Not much to do when you have a ghastly 43 WWSF during the day.
bbissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:37 AM   #1415
PlasticElephant
 
PlasticElephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bitb Ca$h
Posts: 2,233
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Yeah +1 on the FA advice, there is numerous academic studies proving they aren't +EV.

I think just max out any tax free yearly investment wrappers you can, and select the lowest possible cost indexes is a fairly fool proof strategy.
PlasticElephant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #1416
pokerarb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
pokerarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,089
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticElephant View Post
Yeah +1 on the FA advice, there is numerous academic studies proving they aren't +EV.

I think just max out any tax free yearly investment wrappers you can, and select the lowest possible cost indexes is a fairly fool proof strategy.
Exactly this, with some caveats on the current investment landscape and some weighting based on market timing.

In b4 "yOu CaNt TiMe ThE mArKeT"
pokerarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #1417
hoodboy
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 154
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

I'll be your FA for free man. First lesson - do not offer 4k freerolls
hoodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #1418
Duncelanas
Pooh-Bah
 
Duncelanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Losing money at husngs
Posts: 5,881
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

I am not a financial advisor. However, it's my understanding that you will likely outperform any given FA if you just buy and hold a broad-based etf or index fund such as VOO or SPY.
Duncelanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #1419
Lego05
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 24,376
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncelanas View Post
I am not a financial advisor. However, it's my understanding that you will likely outperform any given FA if you just buy and hold a broad-based etf or index fund such as VOO or SPY.
VOO is my largest position.
Lego05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #1420
bbissick
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,260
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quick Post:

Thanks for all the financial talk guys. Poker Arb was nice enough to take some time out of his day to give me a call and give this fish some education and a few of you have been helpful through the PM's as well. So thank you, always good to pick the brain of others.

I have a few calls I'm looking to make in early July to get various opinions before I decide but so far all I've gotten is sound advice.

Prop

At 52,603 hands as of last night, had some HU games that took precedent so the hands pr hour was very small. I have played 1k or so hands today, so we are looking at a mammoth grind hopefully to get back into it

GL at the tables this weekend everyone
bbissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:59 AM   #1421
bbissick
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,260
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Played 9 hours today and managed 6,478 hands, so pace is now 59,081. Looks like my normal Monday off is going to be a grinding day.

3 days left and need to average 5306 hands. Very attainable but going to be some long days ahead. If i keep running like I am though it will be pretty easy to push through.

Podcast

Doing a podcast with ShowofForce at 3pm Malta/9AM, will post the link when it comes. Seeing as it's in 6 hours I'm going to try to get a little sleep done.
bbissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:28 AM   #1422
dont3betme
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 640
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Brooo, you should just chill. You need to make time yourself to relax, think about life and enjoy it with your gf
dont3betme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #1423
1BigOT
adept
 
1BigOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Just 14 table the 100s and 200s, youd be done in two days easily.
1BigOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #1424
XtraScratch8
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,921
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Just heard about the $4K free-roll on ShowOfForce podcast.
Wishing you luck on your goal, but posting just in case I hit some lottery run-good.
Also potentially joining BTS for CFP sometime later this year.
Glglgl.
XtraScratch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #1425
bbissick
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,260
Re: Transition from a Struggling Pro to A High Stakes Endboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigOT View Post
Just 14 table the 100s and 200s, youd be done in two days easily.
Nah that's not in the spirit of why i offered + not sure if it makes me any money in comparison to playing my normal stakes etc
bbissick is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive