Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #24576
wj294
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,074
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper6788 View Post
UK doesn't tax gambling income?
Nope. God save the Queen.
wj294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #24577
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj294 View Post
Nope. God save the Queen.
Neither does USA#1's top hat. There are a handful of grinders attempting to make a go of 1/3 NL poker full time in my room (not to mention a bunch of partimers / retirees / etc. attempting to supplement their income). I imagine it's a pretty tough go for that type of ceiling, but each to their own.

GcluelesstaxlessnoobG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #24578
samo
Pooh-Bah
 
samo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,082
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spyutastic View Post
This sounds like hell. You can work at In n Out and make more than this. Plus get free food. And still play poker on the side.
And that's some good chow!
samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #24579
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I know a guy that plays "for a living". A mix of $2/5, $1/2, PLO, whatever. Haven't talked yearly winning numbers with him though. Definitely a solid player and I would not be surprised to see him easily clear $4k/mo on average

But I *can* say that there are more reasons he does it than just the income. His wife works a lot and makes pretty decent money. So he stays home with the kids in the mornings and during the day. Saves them a ton of money on childcare, and he gets to raise them the way they want.
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #24580
sevendeuce4evr
journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 282
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spyutastic View Post
This sounds like hell. You can work at In n Out and make more than this. Plus get free food. And still play poker on the side.
Yes one of them mentioned it is basically minimum wage..but would rather play cards than a job which would pay about the same
sevendeuce4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #24581
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: twitch.tv/pokershaman59
Posts: 10,854
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

US federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, or $14,500/year working full time. Many US states have higher minimum wages (in California it is $12/hour) and many locales have higher minimums still -- in Oakland, where I live, it is $13.80/hour, $15.60/hour in Berkeley, and $16.30 in Emeryville, where I play cards.

So $28K to $36K per year works out to minimum wage in some areas but in most parts of the country a minimum that high is still aspirational.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #24582
josofo
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 610
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

i grind 1-2. i make significantly more than minimum wage.


a good months is like 4grand. a bad month is like 1500 (though i have won less). i can take as much time off as i want, work whatever hours i want, take as many breaks as i want.


working with jobs i could easily get (jr college drop out, with bad work history, because a lot of breaks) i would make less. 10-12 dollars an hour, working 35 hours a week. maybe like 1500 a month.

the thing is if your like a girl you can like waitress or something and make 25+ and hour.

but for a guy with like limited like life skills its not bad job. once you get a bit of a bankroll you can live a lot of different places
josofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #24583
c0rnBr34d
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,250
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBostick View Post
US federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, or $14,500/year working full time. Many US states have higher minimum wages (in California it is $12/hour) and many locales have higher minimums still -- in Oakland, where I live, it is $13.80/hour, $15.60/hour in Berkeley, and $16.30 in Emeryville, where I play cards.

So $28K to $36K per year works out to minimum wage in some areas but in most parts of the country a minimum that high is still aspirational.
And the $7.25/hr or $14,500/yr minimum wage figure is based on 2,000 inflexible entry level hours. How many pros are really putting in 2k hours per year? I don't know for sure but I'd guess most aren't. So if you can make more, with a flexible schedule, freedom to move around from market to market, and you can improve / move up. It doesn't sound terrible if your options are limited. If a better opportunity does come along you could always take it and play poker part time...
c0rnBr34d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #24584
Tanqueray
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,059
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by josofo View Post
i grind 1-2. i make significantly more than minimum wage.


a good months is like 4grand. a bad month is like 1500 (though i have won less). i can take as much time off as i want, work whatever hours i want, take as many breaks as i want.


working with jobs i could easily get (jr college drop out, with bad work history, because a lot of breaks) i would make less. 10-12 dollars an hour, working 35 hours a week. maybe like 1500 a month.

the thing is if your like a girl you can like waitress or something and make 25+ and hour.

but for a guy with like limited like life skills its not bad job. once you get a bit of a bankroll you can live a lot of different places
Props to you.

Although I will say that taking time off, taking breaks, and "work" whenever are not really a choice as professional poker player.

Because just like a real hourly job, if you aren't working, you aren't making money.

There is far less freedom than one might think.

I just want to be fair to those who might consider jumping in.
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #24585
browni3141
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,145
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
Props to you.

Although I will say that taking time off, taking breaks, and "work" whenever are not really a choice as professional poker player.

Because just like a real hourly job, if you aren't working, you aren't making money.

There is far less freedom than one might think.

I just want to be fair to those who might consider jumping in.
There's a huge amount of freedom. You can play three 13 hour sessions and be off for the rest of the week or play one short 5-6 hour session each day depending on your preference. If your friends hit you up and want to go out Friday you can just play extra hours on Thursday. You have to maintain enough volume but you can distribute it however you want, which basically gives you an open schedule. You're not forced to always play peak hours like evenings on the weekend. If you have the desire and the discipline you can even work a lot of extra hours, which I would recommend to someone starting out to help them take off.
browni3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #24586
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,093
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I played full time for 18 months and my social life took a significant hit. Sure, if you have no social life to begin with then maybe you won’t notice, but there’s no way around putting volume in Thursday thru Sunday.
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #24587
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,928
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by josofo View Post
the thing is if your like a girl you can like waitress or something and make 25+ and hour.

but for a guy with like limited like life skills its not bad job. once you get a bit of a bankroll you can live a lot of different places
it definitely sucks girls have corned the market in waiting tables.
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #24588
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,928
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
I played full time for 18 months and my social life took a significant hit. Sure, if you have no social life to begin with then maybe you won’t notice, but there’s no way around putting volume in Thursday thru Sunday.
sure there is. play monday-friday during the day. it's not as lucrative, but there are plenty of idiots that play during those hours too. they're just not drunk (usually).
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #24589
sevendeuce4evr
journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 282
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by josofo View Post
i grind 1-2. i make significantly more than minimum wage.


a good months is like 4grand. a bad month is like 1500 (though i have won less). i can take as much time off as i want, work whatever hours i want, take as many breaks as i want.


working with jobs i could easily get (jr college drop out, with bad work history, because a lot of breaks) i would make less. 10-12 dollars an hour, working 35 hours a week. maybe like 1500 a month.

the thing is if your like a girl you can like waitress or something and make 25+ and hour.

but for a guy with like limited like life skills its not bad job. once you get a bit of a bankroll you can live a lot of different places
what is the worst downswing u experienced
sevendeuce4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #24590
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 11,012
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

yeah f those single moms without basic education for taking all the jobs amirite
rickroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #24591
josofo
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 610
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickroll View Post
yeah f those single moms without basic education for taking all the jobs amirite

lol. nah look, i could be a trucker, i can like learn a trade, like a plumber or something like that. i could like be salseman, (those car salesman make a lot). i could even work at some local company and work my way up. i am not saying their aren't opportunities for a guy to make some chedder in the richest country on earth.


just seems easier for girls that just graduated hs. like the cocktail waitresses at the casino are making what 40-50 dollars an hour?



thats right there is like top 3 percent of non college graduates i would think.
josofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #24592
josofo
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 610
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendeuce4evr View Post
what is the worst downswing u experienced

i have been broke, so like 7 grand in a couple months. not from just playing 1-2.


i played the local 250-500 tournaments, plus i went to vegas to play the 200-500 dollar tournaments at the wynn for a week (plus a bit out on the floor). between expenses and never getting a big score i went through 7 grand pretty quick.


for me personally the hardest part is wanting more. id rather be playing 2-5 and 5-10 and tournaments and stuff. its boring to sit there and listen to everyone talk about the one time their quad 8s got beat for high hand with 30 seconds left. and watch everyone limp and never bluff all day.
josofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #24593
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,928
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by josofo View Post
just seems easier for girls that just graduated hs. like the cocktail waitresses at the casino are making what 40-50 dollars an hour?



thats right there is like top 3 percent of non college graduates i would think.
and literally zero upward mobility or chances for pay increases.
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #24594
Ranma4703
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: she / her
Posts: 3,010
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by josofo View Post
lol. nah look, i could be a trucker, i can like learn a trade, like a plumber or something like that. i could like be salseman, (those car salesman make a lot). i could even work at some local company and work my way up. i am not saying their aren't opportunities for a guy to make some chedder in the richest country on earth.


just seems easier for girls that just graduated hs. like the cocktail waitresses at the casino are making what 40-50 dollars an hour?



thats right there is like top 3 percent of non college graduates i would think.
yup, sure is easier for women to make money then men

they aren't making 40-50 an hour fwiw
Ranma4703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #24595
LordRiverRat
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,513
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

What is the biggest heater you guys have had? I'm up like 7500 in the last three weeks playing 1/2 and 1/3. This comes after my worst downswing ever so the timing couldn't have been better.
LordRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #24596
Mr Spyutastic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Mr Spyutastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 12,230
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

My best single session results:

1/2 - $3500 (Venetian)

3/5 - $8500 (Hollywood Park)

5/10 - $17k (Venetian)

25/50 - $22k (Venetian)

40/80 - $31k (Commerce)
Mr Spyutastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #24597
XtraScratch8
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,923
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Ooofff...

My best 2/5 session is 3.1K so far.
XtraScratch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #24598
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,928
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

hot damn, i suck at this

1/2 - $1,039
1/3 - $1,334
2/5 - $2,529
5/10 - $1,653 (only 10 total hours though)
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #24599
reaper6788
Pooh-Bah
 
reaper6788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bring online back to US!
Posts: 3,772
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

1/3 $1500

8/16 limit Holdem full kill around $3000
reaper6788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #24600
Ranma4703
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: she / her
Posts: 3,010
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

4500 at 2/5 NLH/1000 max for biggest single session
$15,000 at 2/5 was my biggest consecutive winning stretch, basically won every session for a month straight
Ranma4703 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive