Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #21576
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
I kinda wish we had a thread that simply collected winrates from everyone who wanted to contribute them, sorted by steaks / BI. It's pretty much impossible to glean that type of information from this thread as it's too large.
I'd collect and analyze session logs if I could get them from people. It would be really interesting data to dig into. And it would look exactly like work too
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #21577
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Reader View Post
I also want to make it clear though we disagree on a lot of poker related topics, GG I have no will will towards you, so I keep this disagreement purely on a poker level.

But like, it's no surprise you feel this way. You think the correct way to play poker is this ultra nitty style. In your mind, a style that is much looser than yours is not optimal, or losing. Now obviously I don't agree with that assessment, but that's a different topic right? But anyway, assuming that we adopted the view that the highest EV way of playing poker is your nitty style, then yeah, absolutely it's not possible to make 10+bb/hour consistently, because it's not possible to win that much with that nitty style.

In order for you to accept that one can have a high EV, you must first believe that it's possible to win more with a style much looser than yours. Those two come hand in hand, because no matter how disciplined you play, you just cannot win 20bb/hour playing as tight as you do preflop, at least in the current climate.

(Obv in like 2009 games or like really crazy drunk deep straddle games it's possible, but not over a large sample in normal games)
I've always admitted "I suck at deepstack" (I preface almost every deeper stack HH thread with this) plus I've also stated the sky might be the limit for those good deepstack players playing in deepstack games.

My argument has always been with regards to a very specific game type, which is the game my room (and all the rooms in my area) offers: namely, a lowstakes (in my case 1/3 NL) game with a pretty big rake ($7 + $1 + $1) with a maximum 100bb BI ($300), where a lot of people are sitting with ~$200 stacks (although admittedly some tables do get more into deeper stacked play as the session goes on). I'll admit: I'd be surprised if a non-nit style did well in that type of environment, but I could be wrong. But I don't really want to open up this can of worms again here, so I'll just leave it at: if you're playing a different environment than this, then I absolutely agree that good players could do a lot better using a non-nit method.

Genvironmentdependent,imoG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #21578
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
GG your game conditions sound awful.
I think my game conditions are quite good (it's why I can still win), although they aren't nearly as good as they were before (which were flat out awesome which is why I crushed at one time).

To be honest, I have hard time believing they are much different from anywhere else where NL poker has been running for 15+ years, and the HHs I see posted in this forum more-or-less back that up on a regular basis.

It is my feeling there is a strong disconnect between what people think games are and what they actually are.

Gbut,maybeit'sjustmeG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #21579
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
So you're losing the ability to make a giant hand that'll move your 500 hour sample a whole BB on it's own.
If, for arguments sake, we compared a 7 bb/hr at 1/3 NL over 500 hours = $10500 versus a 8 bb/hr = $12000, that means that single big hand you're looking for won $1500, such as getting in $1500 vs another player.

In my ~just shy of 4000 hours at my 1/3 NL game, I've seen exactly 2 hands that would qualify for that (and one of them I'm pretty sure was a fake hand for show between two friends).

Gitdoesn'thappeninmostlowlylowstakes100bbgames,imo G
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #21580
Petrucci
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4,266
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
I've always admitted "I suck at deepstack" (I preface almost every deeper stack HH thread with this) plus I've also stated the sky might be the limit for those good deepstack players playing in deepstack games.

My argument has always been with regards to a very specific game type, which is the game my room (and all the rooms in my area) offers: namely, a lowstakes (in my case 1/3 NL) game with a pretty big rake ($7 + $1 + $1) with a maximum 100bb BI ($300), where a lot of people are sitting with ~$200 stacks (although admittedly some tables do get more into deeper stacked play as the session goes on). I'll admit: I'd be surprised if a non-nit style did well in that type of environment, but I could be wrong. But I don't really want to open up this can of worms again here, so I'll just leave it at: if you're playing a different environment than this, then I absolutely agree that good players could do a lot better using a non-nit method.

Genvironmentdependent,imoG
I had told myself to let this debate rest too, but now i cant help myself.

So what you are really doing is creating your argument around defending yourself+ the nit of the century playingstyle you are employing, and going into defense mode: because you refuse to admit that anybody could do better than you, just because they dont play in your games. The only step you want to take, is to admit that good players who is willing to open up their game more than you do would do alot better- IF they play in other games as you do. Thats the classic premise you always comes back to in order to defend yourself.

So, you continue to live with this wall around you-implying that its not possible to do better in your games than what you achieve. That is what this whole debate is circling around: you having this obsessed need to tell yourself that its not possible to achieve a higher winrate in your games than what you do with your ultra nitty style.

I simply cant bring myself to understand why it is so hard to admit that more skilled postflopplayers than you, more aggro players than you, better players with a more complete toolbox than you,and better deepstackplayers would very likely achieve a higher winrate than you do in the same games.

Ive said it to you a million times: a very important reason why you have stagnated (and doesent get paid on your hands properly anymore compared to before) is because your opponents very likely have figured you out to a bigger degree, for example that you always have it when meaningful bets go in and that you are a true nut peddler. Getting paid on hands in poker is like + and - on the battery, they cant function without eachother. You have to create some kind of doubt in your opponents mind over time regarding what you are doing, or if you have it or not. If you never 3 bet anything but the mortal nutz, if you never semibluff for big bets or mix up your lines properly that simply means you are capping your ability to get paid on your big hands. You throw rock all the time close to 100 percent, so your opponents doesent have any insentive to give gamble to you with a call and give you the scissor, because they know what you have everytime so they stick with paper. They have simply adjusted correctly, because they are folding more second best hands to you.
Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #21581
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

It's funny, in my recent set tracking experiment, one of the few stats that oddly jumped out at me is that I got to table a set in what I would consider a "perhaps profitable but mostly just setmining spot preflop" 16% of the time over my 100 hour sample size. My fair share at a 10 handed table would only be 10%, and at a 9 handed table would be 11%, but me, the biggest nit at the table, got to table more than my fair share. Likely just lol sample size, but still.

Gil, I don't know what to tell you. I play in a game where a $15 raise with $200 stacks will often see 5+way (or more action). If you're not playing ultra nit tight in that type of game, plus mostly just aiming to take down all that dead money preflop, you're doing it wrong, imo. And from what I've seen of HHs in this forum, those aren't weird conditions, they're perfectly standard.

G/derailG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #21582
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
I think my game conditions are quite good (it's why I can still win), although they aren't nearly as good as they were before (which were flat out awesome which is why I crushed at one time).

To be honest, I have hard time believing they are much different from anywhere else where NL poker has been running for 15+ years, and the HHs I see posted in this forum more-or-less back that up on a regular basis.

It is my feeling there is a strong disconnect between what people think games are and what they actually are.

Gbut,maybeit'sjustmeG
I still see plenty of crazy **** at the NL tables. HH's tend to focus on the "weird" spots that people don't understand how to deal with. Which will almost by definition be out of the ordinary for the overall game conditions.

Now maybe that's just Michigan, but based on the pushback you get about your game conditions from other people, it might just be you(r market).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
If, for arguments sake, we compared a 7 bb/hr at 1/3 NL over 500 hours = $10500 versus a 8 bb/hr = $12000, that means that single big hand you're looking for won $1500, such as getting in $1500 vs another player.

In my ~just shy of 4000 hours at my 1/3 NL game, I've seen exactly 2 hands that would qualify for that (and one of them I'm pretty sure was a fake hand for show between two friends).

Gitdoesn'thappeninmostlowlylowstakes100bbgames,imo G
Well, 1BB *swing* is only $750 each getting in the middle, *IF* it's heads up. $500/head 3-way.

And I pulled those numbers somewhat at random. Call it 0.75BB swing at 400 hours if it makes you feel better. But you should understand already just how big of an impact a couple of stack risking pots have on your winrate. Again, I see plenty of 150-200BB/each hands --> 400BB pot = 1 BB/hr difference over 400 hours
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #21583
Joey913
old hand
 
Joey913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pre-flop
Posts: 1,300
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

HHs are definitely not a fair representation of hands played at the tables and that greatly impacts the advice given in this form Imo
Joey913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:37 PM   #21584
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
I simply cant bring myself to understand why it is so hard to admit that more skilled postflopplayers than you, more aggro players than you, better players with a more complete toolbox than you,and better deepstackplayers would very likely achieve a higher winrate than you do in the same games.

Ive said it to you a million times: a very important reason why you have stagnated (and doesent get paid on your hands properly anymore compared to before) is because your opponents very likely have figured you out to a bigger degree, for example that you always have it when meaningful bets go in and that you are a true nut peddler. <snip>
Is GG Phi Hellmuth? The greatest player to ever walk the earth?

I play fairly often in a small pool PLO home game with a lot of really crazy idiotic players. But there are a lot of people that also pay attention and know what they're doing. They think I'm an UBER nit because I'm not piling 200BB in preflop, or firing off with trash dominated hands postflop. They've adjusted. So I blush them a hell of a lot. Or bluff A high boards. Or check call them all in with the nuts when they GII against each other.

Funny enough, when that started happening my WR took a 60 degree turn upwards and I'm hitting them for 11BB/hr now. Much easier to manipulate people when you know what they think of you and how they're going to react.

I'd be shocked if GG's opponents haven't adjusted to him and stopped paying him off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
Gil, I don't know what to tell you. I play in a game where a $15 raise with $200 stacks will often see 5+way (or more action). If you're not playing ultra nit tight in that type of game, plus mostly just aiming to take down all that dead money preflop, you're doing it wrong, imo. And from what I've seen of HHs in this forum, those aren't weird conditions, they're perfectly standard.

G/derailG
Sets are just LOL-sample size. You know that.

So you bet $15 and see a flop with $100 in the pot 5 way. Normal.

Then what? Are people betting $100 and taking it down? $30 and getting 4 calls? Betting 3 streets? Only the nuts bets and everyone folds?

There are a lot of ways to beat that game that do *not* involve being an uber-nit. I watch people do it all the time. Mostly by betting often postflop and either A) stealing the pot, or B) getting paid off by a worse hand. But that requires some good decision making post, and riding the variance roller coaster a little bit.
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:13 PM   #21585
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaritia View Post
If you stopped using the word "tough" i would +1 everything you say on this subject.

It really is night and day...and i agree that if i were a pro I'd play the seasons.
I did say "super tough (nitty reg filled)" this time. IMO if a game that I can beat for $55/hr turns into a game that I can only beat for $35/hr....that game is a hell of a lot tougher no matter the reason. Its a less profitable game. Its tougher.

I havent played in any other 2/5 games anywhere that I didnt think I could beat for more than the Isle summer daytime games. If that doesnt make them tough, I dont know what does. I think Ive explained my definition of "tough' pretty well.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #21586
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,093
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Mike I don't think you could beat Parx/Sugar for a meaningful number. If you think it's profitable to limp 98s UTG (per your "unorthodox lines to success" thread) then you would get destroyed in those games (which you seemingly did on your recent trip).
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #21587
SABR42
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SABR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: printing money
Posts: 22,019
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Parx/Sugarhood $2/5 were always pretty soft imo but I didn't stay in them very long.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SABR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #21588
Shai Hulud
old hand
 
Shai Hulud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,934
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
Gil, I don't know what to tell you. I play in a game where a $15 raise with $200 stacks will often see 5+way (or more action). If you're not playing ultra nit tight in that type of game, plus mostly just aiming to take down all that dead money preflop, you're doing it wrong, imo. And from what I've seen of HHs in this forum, those aren't weird conditions, they're perfectly standard.

G/derailG
Actually that does sound pretty standard for 1/3 games, yet many players beat these kind of massively multiway games with non-nit strategies. A nit strategy is probably the easiest way to beat this type of game, sure, but it's far from optimal, which is why you see so many players in similar games with TAG or sLAG strategies doing considerably better.

And a note about player pools...if your player pool is as small as I think it is, your opponents have adjusted to you. Maybe not as much as they should have, but they have adjusted. I suspect more than anything else this is the reason your nit strategies don't work as well anymore, because the regulars know when GG puts the money in, he has it. You should use your nit image to look for more ways to make money, like abusing your massive fold equity limp/reraising hands like A5s preflop, and post-flop looking for barreling opportunities. Particularly when deep, if your opponents are tight and won't GII without nut hands, you should have many bluffing opportunities. It just can't be both ways that they don't pay people off yet playing a 100% value strategy looking for fat payoffs is optimal.

Ed Miller noted in one of his books...The Course I think, that it's typical for a player's winrate to stagnate over time if that player does not advance, because you're no longer an unknown and the regs do adjust to you.

Finally about deep play, yes, people gifting you their stack is rare, but when they do, it's a massive pot. If every 100 hours someone massively screws up and basically gives me a 800BB pot (compared to say 200BB), that's an extra ~300BB or 3BB/hr which is massive. And that's just the huge screwups. There are many more subtle screwups where people just pay you off a little more because they have money behind, or let you off the hook for less when they're the aggressor because they get MUBSy about you slowplaying the nuts or w/e. And tight players? The ones I know will not stack off 400BB deep with an overpair? Well when I know those guys are capped and the board looks scary I can usually blow them off their overpair because they don't want to felt 2k (or even 1k usually) without the near-nuts. There are so many more tools you have deep to win money. The only tool shortstackers have that deep stacks don't is being able to get the money in pre-flop or OTF, which is IMO more of a handicap limiting yourself from five street poker. But for people who suck at post-flop play, short stacking is great and may save them money.
Shai Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #21589
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
Mike I don't think you could beat Parx/Sugar for a meaningful number. If you think it's profitable to limp 98s UTG (per your "unorthodox lines to success" thread) then you would get destroyed in those games (which you seemingly did on your recent trip).
Its profitable to limp 98s UTG in some games. Im sure its not at Parx. This may be hard to believe but Im smart enough to adjust to different kids of games.

I got destroyed at Parx 2/5 over 3 hrs and 45 mins. I lost just a tad under $1000 and $500 of that was QQ vs AA all in preflop. That's suddenly a sample size worth even mentioning? LOL

I also won $2332 in 10 hours of 2/5 at Borgata. I guess that's the softest game on the planet cuz I won a few nice hands huh?

Total in my little jaunt thru that area incl Parx, Sugarhourse and Borgata, I played 19 hours of 1/3 and 2/5 and won $759 for $39.84/hr.

Also, for the record, I started keeping track of hands that I play in the first 2 positions that most people would say I should fold. Things like KT, A4s, QJ, 98s

Results so far
Limped..39 hands for $290 profit
I raised...29 hands for $482 profit
I limp/called...7 hands for $55 profit.

Last edited by MikeStarr; 05-31-2018 at 07:17 PM.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #21590
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,093
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Yes Mike your 75 hand sample size really closes the book on that one.

I sincerely hope you forgot to add the “s” to KT and QJ by accident and you’re not actually playing the offsuit variety because you think your skill advantage is just so massive.
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #21591
feel wrath
The Situation
 
feel wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 23,926
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
I think my game conditions are quite good (it's why I can still win), although they aren't nearly as good as they were before (which were flat out awesome which is why I crushed at one time).

To be honest, I have hard time believing they are much different from anywhere else where NL poker has been running for 15+ years, and the HHs I see posted in this forum more-or-less back that up on a regular basis.

It is my feeling there is a strong disconnect between what people think games are and what they actually are.

Gbut,maybeit'sjustmeG
a large part of it is game conditions but a part of it also is being prepared to chase and then open up your game vs action players and open yourself up to massive losses if you run bad when making correct decisions

I won a 350bb a 400bb and a 500bb pot in the same 4 hour stretch at a 2/3 table the other day. And if I'd had the minerals to make a correct shove with a combo draw, I would have won another 450bb pot if Villain had folded his overpair and (wait for it) a 1700bb pot if he'd called. (my draw came in on the turn

it was an admittedly amazing table, where 3 of us had left the bigger game to bum hunt a known lunatic but...it does happen if you have the stones for it. I was down 250bb initially calling down with 1 pair hands against him and one of the other regs had a 2k loss, but by the time I left when the lunatic busted his final buy in, there were 3 3k+ stacks at the table.
feel wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:58 PM   #21592
crsseyed
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,878
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
If all the consistent money is made in 20-130bb total pots (which I totally agree with, FWIW, as well as your comments regarding how rarely big stacks actually go in), then why would shorstacking (ex. I sit with 66bbs) be "the worst" considering it makes for the top end of the range of pots you admit are being won?
Ggoodluckonthenext4000hours,imoG
A couple of thoughts:

(It's all a matter of definition, but my idea of shortstacking is roughly <40BB/$120 at 1/3.)

But more importantly: It's not just simply a matter of thinking "Hmm, it seems most money is made in 20-130bb pots, so I'll play with 66BB"

Think of these 3 scenarios:
"Player A" playing a hand heads up at 1/3 with a 66BB stack vs "Player B" who also has a 66BB stack.

"Player A" with a 66BB stack playing a hand heads up vs "Player B" who has a 200+BB stack.

"Player A" with 66BB playing a hand multihanded with opponents with multiple stack sizes, larger and smaller.

All these scenarios require different approaches/strategies. A few examples:
Set mining ability is more limited.
Less ability to muscle opponents around/can't bet put the fear of future large bets into opponents
Psychological fear of going broke.
Good opponents can manipulate your odds for draws while you have no financial strength to do this to them
crsseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 PM   #21593
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
Yes Mike your 75 hand sample size really closes the book on that one.

I sincerely hope you forgot to add the “s” to KT and QJ by accident and you’re not actually playing the offsuit variety because you think your skill advantage is just so massive.
LOL...now you want to quote sample size?

People always talk about how poker players in general are so miserable and time spent playing poker sucks the life out of them. Im really starting to think you are one of the culprits. You never having anything nice to say about anything. Every comment you make is negative.

If I cant profit after playing a few 100 of those marginal hands in EP in situations where I think I can, then Ill stop playing them. If I can at least break even, then Ill be seen as a looser player and Ill get more action on my other hands. Trial and error is the best way to find out. I don't care what the books say. Im not saying that I play them on every table in every spot. If you've seen me post a hand where I played one of them, then I was in a situation and on a table where I thought I could play it profitably. Simple as that.

Last edited by MikeStarr; 05-31-2018 at 08:38 PM.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:41 PM   #21594
Shai Hulud
old hand
 
Shai Hulud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,934
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
LOL...now you want to quote sample size?

People always talk about how poker players in general are so miserable and time spent playing poker sucks the life out of them. Im really starting to think you are one of the culprits. You never having anything nice to say about anything. Every comment you make is negative.

If I cant profit after playing a few 100 of those marginal hands in EP in situations where I think I can, then Ill stop playing them. If I can at least break even, then Ill be seen as a looser player and Ill get more action on my other hands. Trial and error is the best way to find out. I don't care what the books say. Im not saying that I play them on every table in every spot. If you've seen me post a hand where I played one of them, then I was in a situation and on a table where I thought I could play it profitably. Simple as that.
I assume you're subtracting raise/folds and limp/folds from profits? You're averaging 2BB+ profit playing KTo UTG? It's not that I don't believe you. It's just hard to believe. JB is right though, it's hard to conclude much over that sample size. Whether you've made or lost money amounts to less than 1BI over 75 hands.

You should track different hands separately if you aren't already. I'd love to see the results when you have a large sample size.
Shai Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:22 PM   #21595
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15,670
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
Biggest downswing is around $40K at $10/20 and $5/10.

Slowed me down for a pretty long time but didn't prevent me from eventually playing higher.
Mega congrats SABR! I recall when you were going through that huge downswing (breakeven stretch). It really speaks to your dedication and worth ethic that you didn't allow it to deter you from achieving your goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Reader View Post
rude :[

(I also have 1k+ sample of 20bb/hour at 1/2 I've posted like half a dozen times, as GG well knows, but I guess it's not a big enough sample)

Look, almost nobody good enough to have those results are likely to keep playing 1/2 for 3k hours, that doesn't mean it can't be done. You keep asking for evidence that no one would have any incentive to create, then use the lack of such evidence as proof of your position. Doesn't work that way.

(I also knew 3 other players with 20+bb/hour sample each at 1-2k hour sample, and were all in a strat group together, so, yeah maybe we just all run hot, but combined we have a sick sample at very similar winratess over 3-5 year span (we all played higher on top of playing 1/2), so, to me, that's about as close as it gets).
Congrats on your success Sol Reader!

Also, WJ94 won $41.82/hr over 1453 hours playing 1/2 at an off-strip locals casino in Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
I've always admitted "I suck at deepstack"
That's fine, and understandable. Unfortunately, you aren't very good at normal stack either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
Mike I don't think you could beat Parx/Sugar for a meaningful number. If you think it's profitable to limp 98s UTG (per your "unorthodox lines to success" thread) then you would get destroyed in those games (which you seemingly did on your recent trip).
The fact that you don't think it's possible for Mike to profitably limp 98s UTG shows your closed mindedness and total lack of creativity. Mike is a very strong winner in the games that he plays and rather than simply criticizing him for doing something that goes against conventional wisdom, I think you'd be better off seeking to learn why he does the things he does. Maybe you don't have an UTG limping range at all and that would be ok. However, you are likely to face creative opponents like Mike at some point and it would be smart to try to understand the lines they are taking rather than simply labeling what they do as fishy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
People always talk about how poker players in general are so miserable and time spent playing poker sucks the life out of them. Im really starting to think you are one of the culprits. You never having anything nice to say about anything. Every comment you make is negative.
This is nothing new. When JohnnyBuz was crushing poker he was high on life. After he got brought back down to reality he has seemed to have nothing but contempt for successful players. Contrast that with GG, who was riding high while crushing the pokers and seems to still be riding high despite being brought back down to reality.
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:09 PM   #21596
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai Hulud View Post
I assume you're subtracting raise/folds and limp/folds from profits? You're averaging 2BB+ profit playing KTo UTG? It's not that I don't believe you. It's just hard to believe. JB is right though, it's hard to conclude much over that sample size. Whether you've made or lost money amounts to less than 1BI over 75 hands.

You should track different hands separately if you aren't already. I'd love to see the results when you have a large sample size.
Of course I subtract raise/folds and limp/folds from profits. I didnt say I was averaging 2BBs with KT. The numbers listed are for all hands played in the first 2 positions that most people would say I should fold.

Small suited Aces, broadway hands like KT, QT, QJ, JT, suited connectors or gappers like J9s/76s...ect. It would take me years to try to track any meaningful sample with each individual hand.

I havent been tracking it all that long. I just decided to start several few weeks ago to see if I was leaking with those hands. I very well may be leaking and if I am I want to know that I am. If I am I will stop playing those hands from EP but so far so good.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #21597
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsseyed View Post

Think of these 3 scenarios:
"Player A" playing a hand heads up at 1/3 with a 66BB stack vs "Player B" who also has a 66BB stack.

"Player A" with a 66BB stack playing a hand heads up vs "Player B" who has a 200+BB stack.

"Player A" with 66BB playing a hand multihanded with opponents with multiple stack sizes, larger and smaller.

All these scenarios require different approaches/strategies. A few examples:
Set mining ability is more limited.
Less ability to muscle opponents around/can't bet put the fear of future large bets into opponents
Psychological fear of going broke.
Good opponents can manipulate your odds for draws while you have no financial strength to do this to them
You're forgetting the the situation where both players have 200+BB stacks and still play a 100BB pot. There's yet another dynamic going on there.
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #21598
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher View Post
Unfortunately, you aren't very good at normal stack either.
Just so I know, what is the winrate for someone who "isn't very good"?

Gyikes,gottaloveourstandards,imoG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #21599
browni3141
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,145
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
It's funny, in my recent set tracking experiment, one of the few stats that oddly jumped out at me is that I got to table a set in what I would consider a "perhaps profitable but mostly just setmining spot preflop" 16% of the time over my 100 hour sample size. My fair share at a 10 handed table would only be 10%, and at a 9 handed table would be 11%, but me, the biggest nit at the table, got to table more than my fair share. Likely just lol sample size, but still.

G/derailG
What does “tabling a set” mean and why do you think your fair share is 1/N? If you simply mean the percentage of the time your flipped set got to showdown then 1/N doesn’t represent your fair share.

I think the math/game theory aspect of your game is somewhere between extremely deficient to non-existent. Not based on this post because I’m not sure what you’re saying, but posting history.
browni3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #21600
setintostraight
adept
 
setintostraight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 852
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Does anyone know where gg actually plays or is it some sort of well-guarded secret?
I mean the only way to see if his games are really that nitty/dry is to have someone else decent at poker to show up here and chime in with their opinion of the card room.

Also, if the games are really that bad, why even play poker there? Is it really enjoyable to sit there under artificial light with bad posture and grind out 4-5BB against other nitty short stacks?
setintostraight is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive